Who should call "Old School" Raw Broadcast?

Who would you like to see return to the microphone for "Old School" Raw

• Vince McMahon

• Jim Ross

• 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

• Paul Heyman

• Jonathan Coachman

• Joey Styles

• Kevin Kelly

Results are only viewable after voting.

Funkydr79

Occasional Pre-Show
So, if next week is "old school" raw, all things being equal, who would you like to see return to call the show?

I would love to see Vince McMahon back behind the microphone with Jerry Lawler. Vince should do the old style Vince McMahon before the Mr. was put in front of it. He should also where the old black denim jacket with the Raw logo over the pockets!!

Well if it were possible, I would say Bobby Heenan. However, I don't believe his health would permit him to call the show. He really would be a great choice but I doubt he can. That said, Jim Ross and Vince would be a nice choice as well. It would be great to see JR back behind the table. I would also enjoy seeing Jesse Ventura return to call the show with Vince. Talk about a flashback from the past. However, I don't have any interest in Heyman or Styles seeing as who has signed on for the show so far. It just wouldn't make all that much sense.

To be honest, I think it will be the same people calling the "Old School" Raw broadcast. that means we will be seeing Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole at the announce table again.

Though, who I would want to see at the anounce table, I would definately have to say Vince McMahon and Jim Ross. These two guys would be interesting to see at the announce table. Both were great commentators in their time and it would be really great to see them comment together one more time. Also, I'm sure a good number of fans would mark out for this.

Jim Ross is just about everybody's favorite commentator; seeing him call the "old school" Raw would definately be something to mark out for. And then you have Vince McMahon, the chairman of the WWE. Seriously, who wouldn't want to see him call a match with JR? Having these two at ring side calling the matches would really bring back memmories and without a doubt, be entertaining. Sure, they never really commentated on a match together (at least I don't recall), but it would still be great to see them together nonetheless.

Though, unfortunately, I do not see this happening. I believe the commentators for the old school Raw will be Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole (possibly along with Matt Striker). Which in the end, is fine in my opinion. Regardless of what many say about Cole, I find him to be able to comment a match rather well. His corny shennanegans are only because he's doing his job---getting you to hate him. But yea, these (or three) guys are the people I see calling the "Old School" Broadcast of Raw.

If I could pick who should be the color commentator for the Old School RAW show, I would give the reigns to Vince McMahon. He is at a position with his character that he might as well call himself a legitimate face, just like he was as commentator. It fits perfectly and is something the nostalgic at heart could really get behind.

Now as for what will most likely happen, I agree with The Jeff completely. As in the past, a 3 Hour Event doesn't necessarily mean a 5 Star show. If they wanted to go all out I'm sure stars like The Rock and Shawn Michaels could pop in as special guests, instead of what will most likely happen- older stars like Piper, Dibiase, and "The American Dream".

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy that, but if this was going to be a completely historic night I would think it would be hyped up more than it has been.

as much as I'd like it to include Jim Ross or Coach it wont happen. My realistic hope is Vince and Gene Okerlund. If Bobby Heenan was in good health it would be amazing for him and Gene to call matches. Hell bring back Jesse Ventura. There are so many combinations of announcers you could use. Ross and Lawler would be fantastic as well, maybe throw Vince in there. Should be interesting, never thought I'd be excited for a raw episode over the announcers.

I think bringing a few guys that haven't done a WWE return yet, would be in order. for example...Lex Lugar and Savage. In a recent interview he said that him and Vince still talk. I want to see Mean Gene do interviews.

Unfortunately we will see Slaughter, Dusty, Piper, and whoever is under a legend contract, Also No Rock or Stone Cold. Austin said his charcter won't fit in with the PG era.

Hopefully Paul Bearer will be there.

I am hoping for the black curtain. Lets give RAW the Independent feel. Although Like it has been said, it will be half assed.

I noticed the WWF logo plastered all over the old school promo. I wonder if they can get away with it.

After RAW tonight and the apparent news of an injury to the King, I wonder if its something serious enough to rule him out of next weeks RAW too?

If so, I wouldnt be surprised to see JR back for one night only... I dont think it wouldve come into Vince's mind, but if the King is out, then he needs a legitimate 'oldie' to call the action, and with 'Mr McMahon' in a coma, Mean Gene doing the backstage interviews and Heenan not healthy enough to, all signs point to JR.

Then again, next week could roll around and the King will be fine, and it'll just be King and Cole, and the only 'old school' will be the start video, tron, logo and Mean Gene...we'll still have the annoying 'GM Emails' and Cole loving off the Miz and Riley.

How bout Randy Savage, Rod Barlett, n Dox Hendrix aka Michael Hayes, that would be epic or throw McGillicutty on there for at least a couple as his daddy was a WWE Commentator. But we wait til next week to find out who they choose. I hope we git the WM rematch between Rotundo n Windham vs Sheik n Volkoff as we deserve that due to it was called off last time.

I have to agree, if his health would allow it Bobby Heenan, You need to go to Youtube and watch him calling the matches. Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan to this day are the best out there. Now I'm not saying JR and King are bad, far from it. They are not far behind Heenan and Monsoon, nor is Jessie the Body and Vinnie.

Seeing as you can't bring back Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon for good reasons you need to bring in the next best crew but here is an Idea that I think would be awesome and even the Miz would have to think it was good. Put Jessie, Vince, JR and King behind the table. let all 4 of them call RAW with Mean Jean interviewing everyone.

You know it's too bad people like Fiair and Hogan are in TNA cause honestly they should be apart of this. Vince should extend the hand out to them and even Eric Bishoff and say 'Come to Raw and be apart of Old School Raw' Won't happen but you see Vince should think outside the box for this, TNA or not Hogan is a huge part of Old School WWE/WWF

The consept is a good idea but I don't think WWE will put everything behind it to make it a night to remember.

Thats my 2 cents.

As much as I love heenan why on earth would anyone want him on old school raw? He wasn't raw vince mcmahon and randy savage were raw. That would be the ideal duo to call it. Even though highly unlikely savage would do it. Vinny mac jr and lawler would also be more than acceptable.

If I had my choice, it would be Heenan and McMahon, mainly to see Heenan again. But, as someone said earlier, he's probably not healthy enough to do it.

My second choice would be McMahon, J.R. and The King. And when I say this trio, I mean the "old" King, and the "old" Vince McMahon. King used to be absolutely hilarious. And I believe he could be in the PG-era as well. Most of the humorous things Lawler used to say didn't have anything to do with women. He was good at making fun of J.R. and McMahon without being raunchy.

Jim Ross and King alone would be fine with me. But, I doubt it will happen. We'll probably get stuck with Michael Cole and King, and both of them will continue to not be funny. Instead, we'll have to sit through three hours of seeing all of the "surprise" guests that we see every 3-6 months anyhow (Piper, DiBiase, Dusty, etc.).

How can Vince McMahon call Raw when he is in a supposed "coma"??? It would completely ruin that storyline. People have short memories!!! When Vince returns it has to be big, not for commentary!

For me it has to be Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. I also hope the set is real old skool aswell.

I'd REALLY like to see the Piper/Macho Man/Vince commentary team get back together like the days of old school Superstars (or Sat. Night Main Event...I don't quite remember). Not likely though since Macho Man popped Steph's cherry. (Just kidding)
But really, the only old school Raw three you can use are Lawler, McMahon, and/or Ross. There is just no other way.

Based on the poll, I went with Randy Savage. I haven't seen or heard much from the Macho Man in a while, so I thought it would be cool and nostalgic. I do not think Macho Man is going to be there.

I eliminated the other choices because:

Vince McMahon- Still see him several times a year on TV. He as never really left. I never really had the chance to miss him.

Jim Ross- I get to read his blog, so I still feel connected to him. He was the greatest!

Jonathon Coachman- I can see him on ESPN.

Kevin Kelly- Never really held my interest.

Joey Styles- I think his talent for calling a match and the excitement he brought would be wasted on most WWE matches at this point.

Paul Heyman- Really a close second choice for me. It's been a while since he has made an appearance. I always found him very witty and a great talker, going back to the days of the Dangerous Alliance.

Im surprised to see so many Vince voters, I picked him because I used to love his enthusiasm, "ONE, TWO HE GOT HIM, no, no he didnt" that used to crack me up. I'd love to see the trio of Vince, JR and Lawler but I dont think ross has been gone long enough to do any kind of comeback and the King just isnt what he used to be in that announce chair, he hasnt been himself in years now. I think an old school RAW should be as much like a 1996-2000 episode of RAW as it can be because thats when it was best...

Of course it would have to be either J.R or Vince. Kelly or Heyman wouldn't work for me, as I don't think of them when I think old school. Heenan would be great too, as he was fantastic in his time, but that doesn't seem possible, even in my scenario. But having J.R call it would be great. When you think of MNR, you have to think of Ross. Ross with the King would be good enough for me.

Of course, you could also do Vince with Ventura. We got a taste of it again when "The Body" hosted Raw a while back, and you can't say that didn't bring you back. Seeing (or hearing) them call a full episode of Raw would be just as good as having JR back, if not a little bit better. Either way, those are my choices of who I want to see announce Old School Raw.

Well seen as you said who would I LIKE to see do commentary I picked vince, j.r. and macho man. The only problem being this scenario is completely unfeasible because of the randy savage/mcmahon relationship. You cant go wrong witth j.r. or mcmahon are play by plays and macho man was in fact commentating in 93 so who better just as a bit opf nostalgia

I honestly don't see why it would matter who commentates? It's most likely gonna be the same usual guys of Lawler and Cole. And I don't see why it shouldn't be those. WWE is most likely not gonna bring in older guys for the sake of them actually directly working. There's not gonna be old-school guys wrestling, or old-school guys commentating. Because for one, the majority of the above guys in the poll are doing other jobs, and because the majority of old WWE workers aren't in shape to work a complete show of matches themselves again.

But really, if I had to choose who I wanted to be on commentary. Vince McMahon and probably Jonathan Coachman. Vince was awesome as always, and now that people know he's the boss it's gonna be even cooler I'm sure. And Jonathan, well he was just awesome in general.

It will probably be Lawler and Cole, but I would like to see an old school announce team. Mean Gene is doing backstage interviews so I guess he is out. Bobby Heenan isn't healthy enough to commentate and WWE seems to have no interest in bringing in Jim Ross even for one night. I would like to see Vince with Jesse Ventura or even Vince with King. Jim Ross with Jerry Lawler would be perfect, but its not going to happen. As long as there is an annoying anonymous general manager, we will be stuck with Cole.

Obviously, the ideal team would be Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura, since they were undoubtedly the greatest pairing of announcers the WWE has seen in 30 years, better even than Monsoon and Heenan.

Realistically though, it should be Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler, since they were the commentators during the glory years of Raw.

I think bringing a few guys that haven't done a WWE return yet, would be in order. for example...Lex Lugar and Savage. In a recent interview he said that him and Vince still talk. I want to see Mean Gene do interviews.

Unfortunately we will see Slaughter, Dusty, Piper, and whoever is under a legend contract, Also No Rock or Stone Cold. Austin said his charcter won't fit in with the PG era.

Hopefully Paul Bearer will be there.

I am hoping for the black curtain. Lets give RAW the Independent feel. Although Like it has been said, it will be half assed.I noticed the WWF logo plastered all over the old school promo. I wonder if they can get away with it.

Wasn't that used only in all of 1997 in the WWE? Tht would e great too and have a very old skool style feel but they not going to do that or the Manhattan Center look they had with RAW from 1993-1996.

As for commentators I like VKM and Jim Ross commentate the entire show of RAW. Now that would be awesome, hae Cole and King take the night off, they deserve it for hard work they do everyweek.

I think the coolest way to go for an "Old School" Raw announcing team is utilizing the (IMO) best lineup there was. I really liked it when it was Jim Ross, Vince McMahon and Jerry "The King" Lawler.

I think Vince was perfect for the Face mark. J.R. would knock out the play by play like nothing. The King was the perfect Heel supporter and he also added plenty of color commentary with his screams and crazy statements regarding the Faces.

All in all, I look at the 3 of them fondly when they were out there. All 3 of them in their own way, added color to the broadcasts. They all had their flip out moments for their own reasons and were great at the parts they played, as well as entertaining.

I'd love to see Vince back on there but he's supposed to be in a coma so it wouldn't really work. It will probably just be Cole and King but JR deserves to get a proper send off so I hope he was just bluffing about his involvement.

I'm not surprised that we did not really see any old announcers come back to the announcing team for the oldschool special on Raw. I thought it was just going to be Cole and Lawler like usual. It was good to see JR get to come out and call one match and the interaction between him and Cole was hilarious. It would have made no sense for Vince to come announce because he is still in a kayfabe'd coma. Ventura and other former announcers were probably too busy. What we got was the happy medium in between having old announcing teams reunite in comparison to just Cole and Lawler. It made me miss JR a bit, obviously I'm not alone in that opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back