WCW Tampa, Round 2, Match 2: #16 Tito Santana vs. #17. Sgt. Slaughter

Tito vs. Slaughter

• Chico Santana

• The Chin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region where the ring and entrance are equal height, from Tampa, FL.

#16. Tito Santana
santana3.jpg

vs.

#17. Sgt. Slaughter
sergeant-slaughter.jpg

Holy 80s greatness! I'm going to have to go with Tito. Slaughter's gimmick won him the title, not his in ring skills. Tito is one of the most underrated performers of all time. GO watch his stuff. It's greatness to say the least. At his prime, he could go step for step with Steamboat. Slaughter misses some power move, maybe the Slaughter Cannon, and gets forearmed out.

EL MATADOR! Sgt. Slaughter is GI JOE, but Tito Santana is STRIKE FORCE. This is a helluva 80's throwback match, but I can't see Tito beating Slaughter. If this were an actual match, I'd say it's possible for Slaughter to slap the Cobra Clutch on him, and put him to sleep.

Slaughter goes over in a hard fought battle.

Very interesting match here. Back during the first half of the 80s, when both were still with the WWF, they were both involved in some of the highest profile matches in the company, just not against each other. Sarge did have some wrestling skill, but relied mostly on strength and brawling to get it done. Still, it's enough to give Tito all he wants and then some.

Tito Santana is one of those guys that really gave the IC title some legitimacy as a coveted championship in wrestling. Pat Patterson, Ken Patera, Pedro Morales and Don Muraco were the champs before him and he and Greg Valentine had some good matches for the strap and dropped it back and forth. Santana was the superior of the early IC champs and had success in the tag team division.

Overall, I have to give it to Santana. He was in better condition than Slaughter and was a more versatile competitor. Sarge would give him all he wants, though I'd expect Santana to come up with a small package or schoolboy roll up to take the win around the 20 minute mark.

Slaughter, with ease. He might have defeated The warrior with the help of Randy Savage, but he still defeated The Warrior. One of only a few guys to pin him. Rude, Hogan & Slaughter are the only three that spring to mind. It's impressive, more impressive than whatever Tito did in his boring ass career.

Slaughter may have been over because of his gimmick, but so are loads of other wrestlers. Slaughter was champion and was always a big deal. He beat the most dominant wrestler ever for the title and was always super over as both a heel and a face, albeit cheaply. Tito was a solid midcard guy for the duration of his career and just doesn't have the power to get out of the cobra clutch here, Slaughter wins.

Slaughter has this one. Tito is good, but Slaughter can slow him down and lock in the cobra clutch, sending Tito home.

As was discussed in another thread, the WCW ring used cables, instead of ropes, allowing the cruiserweights, and other high-fliers, more leverage in which to use their moves. What was Tito's finisher? Oh, that's right. A flying forearm. Seems perfect for me here.

Slaughter will probably hold the edge for most of the match, but this is in Tampa, the Cuban capital of the US, and Tito will have a lot of support. He'll make the comeback, and end it with a forearm that knocks the chin through Slaughter's skull.

I've never understod the hype around Sgt. Slaughter, especially his early 90's run in the WWF/E. If I'm dealing with Slaughter and his prime, then it's easily his AWA/NWA/WWF stuff from the early 80's. The guy was a brute, I'll give him that.

However, Tito is better. Tito is a better "wrestler" in terms of ability, stamina, speed,, and I'd daresay int his match, probably strength. Slaughter is essentially a one trick pony, the Cobra Clutch (maybe the camel clutch), and I just can't see him getting them on Tito. I think it's a close match, possibly the good old roll up ending, but no one dominates.

Slaughter wins this one. he became a world champion and defeated the ultimate warrior. who'd santana ever beat that was a main eventer? bulbous chin wraps santana in the cobra clutch and wins by submission. ARRIBA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back