TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion, First Round:(14)Greg Valentine vs. (19)Tully Blanchard

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Greg Valentine

• Tully Blanchard

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

coliseoRub%C3%A9nRodr%C3%ADguez.jpg

GregValentine.jpg

#14. Greg Valentine

Vs.

tully-blanchard-picture-4.jpg

#29. Tully Blanchard

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Valentine and Blanchard were both midcarders really, but I think I'm giving it to Valentine for a couple of reasons. Firstly he was able to establish himself in both companies pretty well. Secondly, I think Blanchard is probably more fondly remembered due to his associations with others. Valentine was in tag teams, but its him you remember not the team. And thirdly, Valentine invented the idea of a wrestler from a million years ago entering the Royal Rumble in 1994, which we'd all agree is an annual treat for us all.

I'll give this to Blanchard for a few reasons. Blanchard was a player in one of the most influential factions in wrestling history. He's been a National Heavyweight champion, United States Champion, and Television Champion back when those titles mean a lot. Blanchard also holds wins over the likes of Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA, and other big players in the NWA.

Valentine's most memorable feud was with Roddy Piper when Valentine was United States Champion. Other than that, he didn't do very much.

I could see this match going to either guy. Both of them had a very strong presence in the mid-card and tag team scenes and accomplished a lot in those areas either in Mid-Atlantic/WCW, WWF or both. Valentine was more of a journeyman wrestler for the first 5 or 6 years of his career before heading to Mid-Atlantic and became a major player there. He won the US title 3 times, the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight & Tag Team Championships twice & once, won the TV title 4 times and the territory's version of the NWA World Tag Team Championship 4 times. Valentine also left his mark in the WWF with an IC and Tag Team title run.

Tully Blanchard spent most of the first decade of his career working in Texas, especially for Southwest Championship Wrestling. Incidentally, it happened to be owned by his father Joe Blanchard and Tully was a major player. As tempting as it is to say it was nepotism, it wasn't the case as Tully had the talent to warrant being pushed. Tully eventually made his way to Mid-Atlantic in late '83 or very early '84 and spent the next 5 or 5.5 years as one of the biggest names in the business. He was a dominant mid-card guy winning the TV title 3 times, National Heavyweight & US titles once each and two runs as NWA World Tag Team Champion with Arn Anderson. Blanchard was also part of the original Four Horsemen when most of his success in the company was going on. He & Anderson eventually went to WWF, had a run with the tag titles, but was fired for testing positive for cocaine. After that, he kinda just faded away.

Valentine's the rougher of the two, the better brawler, stronger and had a lot of stamina. Tully was quicker, more athletic, and always struck me as the sneakier of the two. I'm going with Blanchard because, for me, he was FAR more entertaining and charismatic than Valentine and his legacy as part of the Four Horsemen makes him the bigger star. As I said, I could see this match going either way when it comes right down to the crunch, but I'm backing Tully here.

I'll give this to Blanchard for a few reasons. Blanchard was a player in one of the most influential factions in wrestling history. He's been a National Heavyweight champion, United States Champion, and Television Champion back when those titles mean a lot. Blanchard also holds wins over the likes of Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA, and other big players in the NWA.

Valentine's most memorable feud was with Roddy Piper when Valentine was United States Champion. Other than that, he didn't do very much.

This pretty much sums it up perfectly.

My personal feelings besides the facts, are that I have never been impressed with anything I have seen from Valentine apart from a couple of matches with Piper. Tully is a much better all around wrestler than "The Hammer", and has The Horsemen on hand if things start looking a bit of a struggle for him. His credentials are much greater than Valentine, and he's just better overall.

Tully for me, but I could see it being an Arn distraction which helped him get the win.

I'm gonna vote Valentine simply because he is in Tastys sig. He has one of those nice bold names, he must be doing something right around. We can't all be fuck up mods like I am.

Oh and his nickname is The Hammer, and I might have called my penis that once.

This may be really the only toss up vote for me in this tournament. Both guys have merit, but very few things stand out for me that I actually remember.

Ultimately I think I will have to go with Tully on this one. He has more singles success, not to mention being part of the 4 Horsemen. He just did more with the few titles he had, especially back when they meant something. Valentine cant really say the same.

Really close, very evenly matched in almost every department. Similar titles won, similar positions on the roster.. if I had to seperate them in any department, it'd be Blanchard in recognition just for being one of the most famed members of the Horsemen.

Ok I'll try to establish primes. Valentine, I'm torn between his "i broke your leg" run and feud with Backlund, or taking the US title from and feuding with Ric Flair. Both heel primes. Tully I'd take either the lengthy feud with Dusty over the TV title or the amazing US title feud with magnum. Both heel primes.

So this is heel vs heel contesting upper-midcard titles. Just gonna take a look at the level Rhodes/Flair were at during their respective feuds.

Rhodes was already a two time NWA heavyweight champion during his feud with Tully and would become a three time champ just a few months after. Flair was just about a year away from his first NWA world title when he was feuding with his old partner Valentine, their feud continuing infrequently during Flair's first title reigns until Greg went to WWF.

Flair roundly dominated Greg during this era; 15 wins for Greg to 48 wins for Flair - 23.8% winrate for Greg.

Tully was equally outclassed by Dusty, 34 wins for him and 60 for Dusty - 36% winrate for Tully. To put this into context, since Rhodes was feuding with Flair at the same time, Ric won 79 and lost 35 vs Dusty over their careers. 30% winrate for Dusty.

I DO hate the "x beat y, y beat z, so x would beat z" arguments.. but I think you can make a case for it here. Since we've established Blanchard and Valentine's prime, confirmed that both Rhodes and Flair were near their best during the feuds, and seen that Ric was clearly the superior opponent, I'll think I'll side with Valentine winning 24% vs Flair as superior to Tully winning 36% against Dusty. I also think Valentine's "prime" could be argued to be getting a draw Vs the rampant Bob Backlund for the WWWF title at a time where Bob was beating everyone, whereas I'm pretty sure Blanchard's kayfabe peak was his feud with Rhodes.

This is thin and tenous and all very arguable of course, but you can't go wrong with your choice here. Both are upper-midcarders and one is fortunate to be advancing to the next round.. and I love them both, so w/e.

I think Tully was the better wrestler all around, and I have to give this one to him. He was a part of one of the greatest faction in wrestling history, and I can't remember ever seeing him without a title around his waist. Valentine was a tough tough guy, and had a great career, but I think Tully had the better career so I voted him to the next round.

Do I have to vote? I guess I don't have to but I will. I try to get both these guys into the second round every year. When I saw Valentine with a higher than normal seed I figured he would get at least a first round victory. He still might. This is a tough call. They're both great wrestlers but if they were to get together I see them trying to out cheat each other to a win. If that were to happen I give the vote to Tully. I think he's a little sneakier and a little more crafty. I don't want to vote against the Hammer but I'm giving this one to Blanchard.

This may be really the only toss up vote for me in this tournament. Both guys have merit, but very few things stand out for me that I actually remember.

Ultimately I think I will have to go with Tully on this one. He has more singles success, not to mention being part of the 4 Horsemen. He just did more with the few titles he had, especially back when they meant something. Valentine cant really say the same.

Lets see...

Tully is a former 1 time National HWT Champ, a 3 time World TV Champ and a 1 time US HWT Champ.

Valentine is a former 2 time World TV Champ, 3 time US HWT Champ and a 1 time IC HWT Champ.

Valentines got him by 1.

Add to this Valentine broke Wahoo McDainel's ankle, broke Ric Flair's nose, broke Roddy Piper's inner ear and broke Tito Santana's knee. He was also a top contender for both Backland's World title and Hogan's world title.

Valentine should win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back