TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion, First Round: (11) Goldberg vs. (22) Paul Orndorff

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Goldberg

• Paul Orndorff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

coliseoRub%C3%A9nRodr%C3%ADguez.jpg

Goldberg3.jpg

#11. Goldberg

Vs.

paul-orndorff.jpg

#22. Paul Orndorff

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Orndorff made a name for himself right away in the WWF, shooting straight into title contention. You know who else made a name for themself upon debut? That would be Goldberg. And while Orndorff lost in his main event matches against Hogan, Goldberg pummeled him and beat him handily for the title.

For a long time, Goldberg was one of the few things that WCW got right, inane win/loss record aside. I think it was Chris Jericho who said that Goldberg would have to wrestle twice a day and three times on Sunday for the stats to add up, but nevertheless. Goldberg was a main event talent who defeated the best and stayed on top for some time. Orndorff had a meteoric rise in the WWF, but much like his tenure in the territories, he could never win the big one, and soon fell back into the mid-card.

Goldberg avoids the spike piledriver and Jackhammers Orndorff twice for good measure. An easy win here.

I'm glad Orndorff at least made it into the tournament this year but he got a bad draw in the first round. I've called Goldberg a flash in the pan before, and I'm sure I'll use that against him in the later rounds, but he was too popular and too dominant to go out in the first round in a tournament like this. Orndorff is a good first round opponent to make Goldberg look good and I would hope this would be more than a typical Goldberg 60 second squash but Orndorff would go down pretty quickly here.

While Goldberg doesn't have the longevity of most big stars in this tournament, the guy was an unstoppable phenomenon in his prime, and if we are looking at the primes of wrestlers in the matches in this tournament, then there is no way Goldberg would lose to Orndorff. He's beaten bigger and better, and while Orndorff may last a few minutes, he would fall victim to the usual Spear/Jackhammer combo.

Big Bill advances

Orndorff was alright, but the impact and dominance that Goldberg had was phenomenal. Never has somebody with so little charisma got over as much as Goldberg, purely due to his spectacular style. He'd win this.

To borrow a quote I remember KB writing a while ago, I don't think I've ever seen a company catch lightning in a bottle quite the way WCW did with Goldberg in the late 90s. If he'd not done the stupid things he'd done and the booker was someone else, the ratings war goes a bit differently. That's how important he was and could've been.

But look at that wonderful torso of Mr Orndorf. And just imagine it now, with Goldberg's shoulder burrowing through it, maybe even cracking a rib, on the way to the mat. I've hypothesized before that Goldberg was pound-for-pound, the strongest guy to ever step into a wrestling ring. The man out-powered Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania, and basically suplexed The Big Show from a standing position. The only other person I've seen do that was Curt Henning, and that was a fisherman. Goldberg got the whole vertical going on:

[YOUTUBE]461Mrv_kG-I[/YOUTUBE]

And he made it look flooping easy.

Basically, in a strength contest, Paul Orndorff pretty physique gets dismantled. Goldberg wasn't really a wrestler in spirit. But he was a mark for himself and bought into his own character. That's wy he decided to smash open car windows with only his hand and spliced up his wrist putting him out of action. That's not a man Paul Orndorff can beat.

A piledriver will do nothing to Goldberg, except put him into a fit of rage that will cause Orndorff tons of pain and suffering.

Goldberg's a flash in the pan, but he beat guys like Orndorff on a regular basis during his time.

Orndorff is exactly the type of opponent Goldberg would have squashed during his streak. A big name that never quite made it to the main event, but always holds his own. Orndorff was no pushover, but Goldberg would be way to much for him. Goldberg to the second round.

Even at his best, Paul would have gone down to the spear\jackhammer. Goldberg may have had a short career, but during his time- the man was fucking unstoppable. It is a hell of a draw for Mr. Wonderful though & he does deserve a nod for his career. It just isnt enough to give him a win here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back