TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion, Second Round: (6) Bob Backlund vs. (11) Goldberg

Discussion in 'TNA Region' started by klunderbunker, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Bob Backlund

2. Goldberg

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a second round match in the TNA Region, Bayamon Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6. Bob Backlund

Vs.

[​IMG]

#11. Goldberg

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

I could use some guidance here. I want to go with Backlund. The fact that Goldberg could never beat Bret Hart in his 40s but Backlund did when he was waaay past his prime makes me think that Bill is just a big dumb oaf. That's the only thing I can come up with though as I know dick about Backlund in his prime.

Help.

3. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Goldberg could never beat Bret Hart, and most of his big wins were against the powerful wrestlers of WCW. Backlund was an extremely proficient technical wrestler, and well into his forties had the stamina to last a long time in the ring. Taking that into account, I think I have to give this match to Backlund, on the basis that he managed to maintain his run on top much longer than Goldberg ever did.

4. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I want to vote Backlund. He was on top forever, and beat some of the bigger name, and Goldberg had a very short time at the top. Goldberg's power and intensity would be very hard for Backlund to beat though. Please someone come up with some good arguments for Backlund so I can vote him into the next round.

5. DarksideEric

DarksideEric Call me "Hadouken." I'm ↓→ fierce.

I don't need to input much wrestling knowledge into this.

Goldberg is cooler.

Backlund is better.

Voting Backlund.

6. Con T.

Con T. Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy

I'm really curious how many people here are going to vote for Bob Backlund, and turn right around, and vote for Ultimate Warrior against Daniel Bryan. Looks like I can already see two people right now, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

If you're going to vote for Ultimate Warrior based on his run, and you aren't an inconsistent knob, then you should vote for Goldberg, as well. Because everything Warrior did, so did Goldberg. And what's more, he actually did something Warrior never did.

He drew; in fact, for as many people as will rag on his limited time, 1998 was unequivocally WCW's most successful year. And in te process of gaining an unprecedented streak, Goldberg beat Hogan (who himself was riding a hot streak), Sting, Flair, Hall, Giant, DDP, Hennig, and the like.

Saying that Goldberg didn't beat Hart, and therefore would have issues with Backlund, is also being a tad disingenuous. Especially when you consider that the majority of the finishes between Goldberg and Hart were screw job finishes. Am I really supposed to believe that because they tried to redo Montreal at Starrcade, that Goldberg can't beat Bob Backlund? Sorry, not buying it.

And, for as much as people will call his WWE run a disappointment, he did pull off wins against Triple H and The Rock.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to vote for one limited worker who had an unbelievably hot run, don't you have to be a tad bit consistent?

7. Thriller Ant

Thriller Ant Beep Bop Boop

For those who consider Backlund's second run where he beat Bret his prime, consider this: he won most of his matches by submission. Goldberg has never tapped out from what I can find. Even if you consider his first run his prime, Backlund was an underdog mat wrestler whereas Goldberg is a powerhouse destruction machine. Neither one is Goldberg, but the 2 men that defeated Backlund for the world title were Diesel and Superstar Billy Graham who were both power wrestlers. Who's next?

8. The Brain

The Brain King Of The Ring

Two things I want to point out.

Comparing Goldberg to Warrior is fine but let's not ignore the opponents. Bryan hasn't accomplished what Backlund has. Just because The Ultimate Warrior beats Daniel Bryan doesn't mean Goldberg beats Bob Backlund.

Superstar Billy Graham did not defeat Backlund for the title. It was Backlund that defeated Graham for the title. If you're voting Goldberg because he lost to a power wrestler like Graham you may want to reconsider seeing as how your facts were mixed up.

With that said, I'm honestly undecided. Backlund was the scientific champion for a number of years but he was viewed at as kind of a boring wrestler. In a tournament like this I see a big charismatic muscle head being booked to take out the slower paced wrestler. On the other hand Goldberg was a flash in the pan while Backlund was on top for years. I'm going to hold off on the vote for a little while longer and I'll post my decision later if the poll remains close.

9. Con T.

You're right; in some ways, he's done more.

Now, longevity wise? Of course, Bryan loses to Backlund in spades. But in his prime, Backlund was a territory guy. Now, the WWF may have been the most successful territory... Though there is a big may to that. But that said, you could just as easily make the argument that at the time, Harley Race was the #1 professional wrestler in the world. Or, if not Harley, maybe Dusty. Or hell, maybe it was Bockwinkel, or maybe it's Andre the Giant.

Daniel Bryan, right now, is seen by all as the #1 guy in wrestling. I mean, we can all agree on that, right? Cena's taken a little of a backseat to him, and Daniel Bryan is the top act in the world right now. I guess you could argue Okada, but by and large, DB is the top guy in the world, and I don't think it's that under dispute.

Backlund did it longer, but even in his heyday, he was never the consensus top guy in wrestling. Hell, if Andre made the WWF tours, he may not have even drawn the crowd for the night. So I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

10. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

For those comparing Ultimate Warrior to Goldberg, that's fine, except Ultimate Warrior suffered fewer defeats in a much longer career. For those of you comparing Daniel Bryan to Bob Backlund, can you remind me when Daniel Bryan was WWE champion for 6 years in a row? How many matches do you think Bob Backlund lost when he was WWE Champion for 6 years in a row? It's not going to be many is it? No, because he was WWE Champion for 6 years in a row. Goldberg's entire career from his debut in WCW to his leaving WWE could be contained within Backlund's reign as WWE Champion for 6 years in a row.

11. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

If Goldberg was in his prime, there aren't many wrestlers who could beat him. The man was unstoppable. I've always thought if Goldberg had been in the WWE in the 80s he would have been one of the guys Vince would have salivated over and he'd have got the Hogan/Warrior style pushes. His intensity, size and strength was pure $$$$

Backlund was a fantastic talent certainly, but I think Goldberg's incredible power would be enough to get him the win here. Mr Backlund would put up a fight, but he'd be dropped with a Jackhammer for the 3 count.

JWGunslinger likes this.
  12. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Backlund should not be losing this match. Not only was he a much bigger draw than Goldberg, but he had far more meaningful title reigns, and was way more dominant for a longer period of time. Goldberg beat basically nothing but jobbers 160 times and a row and defeated Sting and Hogan along the way. And after we lost the belt he immediately fell back down into obscurity. Not only did Backlund defeat every big name of his time, he was defeating all of the big names of the next era past his prime as well.

For Backlund to have been blown out like this is a travesty.

13. Thriller Ant

Read the results backwards, my apologies.

I like what you tried to do there. The fact is that Goldberg did beat Sting in a title match and Hogan in a title match after beating Scott Hall earlier in the night. The fact is that Goldberg has beaten every big name he's faced. Nash, Hall, Sting, Hogan, DDP, Triple H, The Rock, and Brock Lesnar have all lost to Goldberg and just about all of them are winless against him. Saying Goldberg just beat jobbers is a complete misrepresentation of what he accomplished in his career. Backlund may have longevity, but very few wrestlers had a run of domination like Goldberg.

14. Bernkastel

E-Fed Mod

Goldberg lost to and is winless against Bret Hart. Who defeated a prime Bret while way past his? Bob Backlund. Spare me the "Goldberg was dominant" crap. Backlund was easily just as dominant in kayfabe. 2135 days spent as world champion. And he actually drew money. Which something Goldberg never did. He was also relevant for longer than 2 years. Which is something Goldberg also wasn't.

Backlund should win because he is the more important wrestler with a much bigger and more lasting legacy.

15. Thriller Ant

Goldberg got screwed every time against Hart. Don't act like Hart dominated him. Backlund had countouts and draws. Goldberg had wins. Just because Backlund last longer doesn't automatically make his legacy bigger.

16. Bernkastel

E-Fed Mod

Goldberg was the very definition of a flash in the pan wrestler. Backlund not only dominated the WWE in an era full of just as much talent as the AE, but he dominated it as world champion for years. He was the top star of his era. Goldberg wasn't.

Backlund should be winning.

17. Con T.

Fairly subjective. Backlund was a big star, but I'd be hard pressed to say top star. Especially when you consider that Harley Race, Billy Graham, Bockwinkel, and Flair were all hanging around at the time. Hell, if Andre was lurking around, Backlund wasn't even the top draw on the card.

On the other hand, Goldberg was WCW's top guy. To see he wasn't a top guy during the Attitude Era (read; the biggest boom period in the history or wrestling) is insane.

18. Thriller Ant

Backlund may have been the top of WWWF, but not the undisputed top of the era. Race and Flair were NWA champions. Bockwinkel was AWA World Champion. Don Muraco and Antonio Inoki were also around and Hogan was on the horizon. Goldberg wasn't the top star of his era either, but he did defeat all the top stars of a company that was the biggest in the world for a period, many in dominating fashion.

19. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

Backlund might be the only person in the history of wrestling whose reputation was actually damaged by returning and becoming champion again. That's a real shame because his legacy and domination of that era has been forgotten, and he was dominant. 6 years as champion pisses all over anything that waste of space Goldberg has ever done. This result is a travesty.

20. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

This is were this tournament is always fun. On one hand we have a guy who dominated the biggest sized territory in a promotion that preferred long babyface runs and transitional heel runs in a time were TV wasn't as big and PPV didn't exist. On the other we have a relative flash in the pan who was arguably the biggest face in an international promotion at a time when TV and PPV were hitting massive levels, who only had a relatively short time as WHC but we are talking about a promotion that favored heel champions having long title runs with the faces being the transition guys.

While I am a WCW guy, I'm going to give my vote to Bob. This isn't because I prefer him or think that he is more deserving or even think he would have won the match but more as I do feel that he hasn't been given the respect he deserves from the industry he was an extremely loyal servant too. His own company didn't have him headline a HoF (or even get extended highlights on the shortened TV version) while a guy comparable to Goldberg got exactly that. As far as old Finlay is concerned, this is me doffing my cap to Mr. Backlund.

21. HBsam31

HBsam31 Totally Reeking of Awesomeness

I just can't get past the 6 years as champion for Backlund. That is every bit as dominant as Goldberg was for that short time. Goldberg was a huge star, but the time was to short for me to put him over Backlund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.