The Question Mark with Dave

Still in hospital just now. Probably will be for another week or so. Putting my time in here to good use though, mate.

As soon as I saw the new avatar, I knew something was wrong.

Well wishes, buddy.

I have noticed a new trend that seems to be quite popular with some of the newer people in the Fed and wanted to "address" it. That trend, is keeping a track of their wins and losses. Whilst I like the idea of keeping a track of how well you have been doing, it can be very detrimental to your development. Getting hung up on wins and losses can really slow down your momentum, or can play games with you mentally. To demonstrate my point, I have compiled a record of all of Constantine's matches and it is as follows:

Win/Loss/Draw record:

Wins - 47
Losses - 28
Draws – 8

Lethal Lottery Finishes

6th (Lethal Lottery III – 2011)
11th (Lethal Lottery IV – 2012)
7th (Lethal Lottery V – 2013)
5th (Lethal Lottery 2014)
4th (Lethal Lottery VII - 2015)​

Having a look at that, it could be argued that it is a good record to have, and probably better than a lot of others. But the point I am making is that it doesn't tell the whole story. During that record, I went on a losing streak a few times. At one point, I had 15 losses to 6 wins and 3 draws. At that point, I could very easily have thrown in the towel and thought that it wasn't worth the bother.

But the truth of the matter is that you get better with age, sort of like a vintage wine. The more you practice, the more you get to know what works and what doesn't with regards to your character. Going back over 6 years with a character makes for better reading than at certain phases during that run.

So don't get too hung up on wins and losses.

Getting hung up on wins and losses can really slow down your momentum, or can play games with you mentally.

Pretty much the reason I never did it myself.

I went on a losing streak a few times. At one point, I had 15 losses to 6 wins and 3 draws. At that point, I could very easily have thrown in the towel and thought that it wasn't worth the bother.

How did you get out of that? I have been getting a bit frustrated and considered taking a break (not permanently though) myself recently.

But the truth of the matter is that you get better with age, sort of like a vintage wine. The more you practice, the more you get to know what works and what doesn't with regards to your character.

This part I disagree on. I've gone from having the confidence that I could beat anyone any round roughly a year ago, to feeling like nothing I write will work. I have no clue what you guys want from Theron anymore. I don't believe I heard from you when I reached out to Creative in a mass PM a couple of months ago. Any advice at this point?

So don't get too hung up on wins and losses.

The overall score I ignore for good reason, but it's hard to ignore losses when nothing seems to work anymore.

This part I disagree on. I've gone from having the confidence that I could beat anyone any round roughly a year ago, to feeling like nothing I write will work. I have no clue what you guys want from Theron anymore. I don't believe I heard from you when I reached out to Creative in a mass PM a couple of months ago. Any advice at this point

One of the things that can be so polarising about the Theron Daggershield character, is that you have been so unwilling to change (in the past), that it often felt very repetitive when I was reading through your work bi-weekly. Apart from that, the whole character is so out with the realms of reality, that it can be hard to imagine some of the things you write about. But that's neither here nor there.

I honestly think that Theron is in a world of transition right now and it has been something that I have really been enjoying.

The times where I went on a losing streak, were times that I wasn't trying anything new with Constantine. I got into a habit of not trying to come up with anything new and I got punished for it. That's not your problem though. The difference was that, a year ago, you were probably writing the best stuff you've ever written. You managed to condense everything so that there was no wasted motion and that helped a lot.

If I had to give you any advice at this point, it is to keep evolving. Taking a break can sometimes help, even if it for a couple of rounds - no harm in that. But you're on the right track with Theron of late and, as I said, I have really been enjoying that evolution. A lot of the roster, right now, are completely owning it and it is harder to grab a win these days. But I would also ask you to consider doing something different with Theron. Why not try teaming with someone and seeing how that goes? Or, why not try changing alignment and seeing how you get on with that?

Just some thoughts. Hope they help.

I don't care about wins or loses at all. It motivates me to find what works and keep pushing myself.

The disappointment & discouragement I would feel regardless because I hate losing

I don't care about wins or loses at all. It motivates me to find what works and keep pushing myself.

The disappointment & discouragement I would feel regardless because I hate losing

I do, too. The real concern is driving passion out of people who are willing to go above and beyond. I hate seeing enthusiasm crushed under the boot of veteran apathy. The point I was trying to make was more about keeping on going when things get tough, more than anything else.

All that I agree with and it's a part of why I'm having more fun and am in it for the long haul this time.

Apart from personal issues I would go on a losing streak and refuse to tweak whatever character I had at the time and eventually just flake and leave without telling anyone.

Apart from that, the whole character is so out with the realms of reality, that it can be hard to imagine some of the things you write about. But that's neither here nor there.

That's part of why I shifted to Tiffany's point of view, and I figure she was much easier for segment writing too. I didn't see her at all on Meltdown so hopefully she or Theron himself show up on Ascension in some capacity.

I honestly think that Theron is in a world of transition right now and it has been something that I have really been enjoying.

I have mixed feelings on it myself, and my D&D guys who read my RP's hate the perspective shift (but they weren't the target audience to begin with) so as long as people like it I'll continue. I have an idea of what to do for Roulette and the Lottery too, after that I'm out of ideas. Luckily a lot can change between now and then. That's the main reason I didn't take some rounds off.

The difference was that, a year ago, you were probably writing the best stuff you've ever written.

I agree, I might never top some of that stuff.

If I had to give you any advice at this point, it is to keep evolving. Taking a break can sometimes help, even if it for a couple of rounds - no harm in that. But you're on the right track with Theron of late and, as I said, I have really been enjoying that evolution.

I'm tempted to. Personal stuff that's going on combined with frustration at results may lead me to take next round off and come back at Unscripted.

But I would also ask you to consider doing something different with Theron. Why not try teaming with someone and seeing how that goes? Or, why not try changing alignment and seeing how you get on with that?

Just some thoughts. Hope they help.

I've thought of shifting to Chaotic Good instead of Lawful Good and see how that goes, I've done everything I possibly can as a Lawful Good character. As for teaming, I would only do it with the right partner, someone who I know won't "no-show". There's nothing worse than putting in hours into a fantastic RP and then losing because real life got in the way for my partner. I cringe any time I see I've gotten a tag match due to that, sorry just being honest. Then there's the issue of facing the same guys over and over again due to being in the tag division. Once I've faced someone multiple times (such as Abel) I've run out of ideas on what to write about matches with them.

I have that same hang up about teaming with someone.

I'm only asking people I know have a good track record of showing up. Maybe that will work for you.

That's part of why I shifted to Tiffany's point of view, and I figure she was much easier for segment writing too. I didn't see her at all on Meltdown so hopefully she or Theron himself show up on Ascension in some capacity.

Wait and see... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back