The Next Big Thing

WWEvsJosh

Pre-Show Stalwart
Who do you think is that next big star? I am not talking about who you think can be champion I mean who do you think can be the next Hogan, Rock, Stone Cold, Cena. In other words that guy that people who don't watch wrestling know or that person who can carry the company.

You can only pick up to 2

there is NO ONE on the current WWE roster right now that can be at the level of stone cold or the rock.

the talent in this era is NOWHERE near the caliber of guys we had in the attitude era (97-2003): austin, rock, angle, lesnar, benoit, guerrero, malenko, bret hart, etc...

AJ STYLES. if he was used CORRECTLY in TNA or if he went to WWE coulda been THE guy. he can still be THE guy in TNA if the bookers had any idea how to use the guy.

he is THE TOTAL PACKAGE---everything you want in a wrestling SUPERSTAR.

he aint getting any younger TNA, you should push this guy to the moon and be a main event fixture.

as far as WWE, NO one . CM PUNK , although the BEST performer on the roster, still nowhere near the level of austin or rock.

there is NO ONE on the current WWE roster right now that can be at the level of stone cold or the rock.

the talent in this era is NOWHERE near the caliber of guys we had in the attitude era (97-2003): austin, rock, angle, lesnar, benoit, guerrero, malenko, bret hart, etc...

AJ STYLES. if he was used CORRECTLY in TNA or if he went to WWE coulda been THE guy. he can still be THE guy in TNA if the bookers had any idea how to use the guy.

he aint getting any younger TNA, you should push this guy to the moon and be a main event fixture.

as far as WWE, NO one . CM PUNK , although the BEST performer on the roster, still nowhere near the level of austin or rock.
Why is he not on their level?

What exactly did they have that he lacks? Be precise, I'm tired of people just burying the modern superstars in favour of older ones for no reason.

CM Punk has great wrestling skills (better than The Rock's, and better than Austin's post-neck injury, perhaps better than Austin's pre-neck injury too, which were considerable), he is excellent on the mic as a heel or a face ,is damned funny, and can even do great commentary.

nothing against punk. punk is great.

its just the fans.

more people watched wrestling back in the attitude era than they do now.

wrestling was more popular mainstream-wise in the attitude era than it is now.

ppv buyrates are down, ratings are down, merchandise sales are down, etc...

if im not mistaken, austin and rock hold the record the record for most ppv buyrates, ratings, merch sales, etc....they were just more popular.

i dont think pro wrestling will reach those heights again for a while.

Miz - He has the ability to make the media love him. that's why he held the belt for a while and will again. I feel he may be the next to do movies. He may not be on top right now but that's because WWE are trying out Punk, DB, Ryder but sooner than later he'll be back on top.

CM Punk - He's just got it and can make that impact needed to make everyone know who he is. He needs that one match to make him and I think for him it's with Stonecold next year at Wrestlemania. His only downfall could be his problems with management.

:lmao:

Are you serious?! Dean Malenko? For fuck's sake. Good wrestler, but was he ever the face of ANYTHING? CM Punk is about 8 million times more marketable than Dean Malenko.

And yes, AJ Styles, with his inability to cut a convincing promo and completely average looks is gonna be the next Stone Cold Steve Austin. Sounds to me like you're just a mark for certain people and don't face facts.

On topic, it's pretty obvious that Punk is the closest to being the next "big thing", but as a few people have pointed out above, wrestling's just not where it was in the Attitude Era. It'd probably be more fitting to say that CM Punk will be the next Bret Hart as opposed to Stone Cold or The Rock. When or if wrestling will EVER get back to the unrivaled popularity it had in the Attitude Era, we won't know until it happens. Then and only then will it be clear who the "next guy" is gonna be.

nothing against punk. punk is great.

its just the fans.

more people watched wrestling back in the attitude era than they do now.

wrestling was more popular mainstream-wise in the attitude era than it is now.

ppv buyrates are down, ratings are down, merchandise sales are down, etc...

if im not mistaken, austin and rock hold the record the record for most ppv buyrates, ratings, merch sales, etc....they were just more popular.

i dont think pro wrestling will reach those heights again for a while.

i was just thinking that about the fans! that and the fact attitude era fans were always into pretty much every match and now it takes hard work for the fans to give a rats ass these days in the crowd :disappointed: i honestly think dolph ziggler,cm punk,cody rhodes and daniel bryan are the FUTURE of wwe! i think once cena and orton step down from being full time wrestlers or there gone (speaking of which i think if given the chance miz is gonna go do movies like the rock) and i honestly think these 4 guys are BETTER then rock and austin the fans just LOVED them and everything they did if the fans cared as much now as they did then....this topic wouldnt be brought up probably

I think the reason that no one on the current WWE roster can reach that level is due to no one really getting pushed to the moon, on Raw.

Sure, Punk has been pushed pretty hard, but has he been pushed like Stone Cold Steve Austin, was?

When it comes right down to brass tax, Cena's run isn't over, and that prohibits guys like Punk who the only next logical step for him would be to become the #1 babyface and run Monday nights.

They can't commit to someone like Cena, because Cena is still there, and they can't properly move into a different era because he is still there.

Rest assured, when it's time to move on to another big babyface, it's going to be Punk. It's like the awkward period right before Bret Hart turned heel, right before the Attitude Era. After SCSA won the King of the Ring and pinned Austin 3:16, it took a couple of years for the new era to really reach it's full effect.

Punk is going to need a Rock level heel before the E can move on to letting him be SCSA, in his own right and so to speak. Cena right now is playing the Bret Hart role, and I don't see anyone as the Shawn Michaels character. None of this is exact, but I do find parody in the situation.

So, in my eyes, Punk is going to be the next main crowd favorite, once they're ready to move past Cena, but I can't tell you who his big heel will be. I don't think it's Miz, right now. He's good, but he's not the Rock and I don't think he ever will be. He had his chance to become that level of a star at WrestleMania, and I think it's clear that he got lost in the mix. Blame the WWE for that, if you want, because I do think they always own some of the blame, in that. But, if he were as good as the Rock, he would have stood out.

Especially as a heel, the Rock's greatest strength has always been his ability to stand out. Like I said, Miz is pretty good, but he can't do that. I know of course I'm talking about a once in a lifetime performer like the Rock, but Miz couldn't stand beside Cena at WrestleMania, either.

Honestly, for what my opinion is worth, and I won't say when it will happen, Punk will the new SCSA and Cena will be his Rock, once he finally becomes heel. You know that as soon as Cena finally does, and I believe he will, though I don't think it will be soon, but as soon as he does, Punk will be his first big rival. I seriously bet that the main event of WrestleMania 29 is Punk v Cena, with Cena as the heel.

It's a stretch and I know that, but that's when Punk will be the #1 babyface, when he beats Cena for it. SCSA had to beat Michaels at 14 for it, Punk will do the same. Then, who knows? Punk's true heel of the future probabaly isn't even on the roster. Rock wasn't on the roster when Austin won King of the Ring, and I think the same could ring true. Punk will beat Jericho, he could possibly beat a Brock Lesnar, at some point, but he'll have a beat Cena.

That's my take, at the moment.

Wait a minute, you think AJ could be on par but no one in WWE could? Seriously!? There are numerous members of the WWE Roster that are as good or better than AJ in every way, in ring, charisma, look, everything.

Punk, Ziggler, Rhodes, Christian, Orton, Jericho, Del Rio, Miz, R Truth, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, that is just off the top of my head mean who are either both AJ's in ring equal and radically superior in terms of entertainment and charisma or are perhaps a step behind him in ring but leaps ahead on the mic...

I'm not saying one of them could necessarily be the next Hogan or Rock, that is a damn hard spot to fill, and I'm not sure if anyone on the current roster could, but those men could all damn sure get closer to the spot than AJ.

If you are looking for the next Austin or Rock it is impossible to tell now. Not because the wrestlers now arent talented they are (in fact some of them are better in ring than austin and rock) and it certainly isnt the "watered down" PG rating.

The fact of the matter is that WWE makes its own stars. You are only popular if WWE chooses to make you talented. When John Cena came up into the business no one had the slightest impression that he would be the face of the company. People heard great things about Randy Orton early on but no one expected this amount of popularity and fame.

Austin and Rock were two VERY VERY talented men. With that in mind so is CM Punk. But Punk will never be the face of the WWE. It just wont happen because of the fact that WWE chooses its top dogs. They chose Hogan, Hart, Rock, Austin, Lesnar, Cena, Michaels, and Orton. Punk is a guy that fought the WWE and now they are giving him the status that he thinks he deserves which is basically WWE telling Punk "Prove it".

Cena is the face of the WWE. In time guys like Drew McIntyre, Daniel Bryan, Ted DiBiase or ANYONE with talent could be the next big thing because before Austin 3:16 and The Rock there was the ringmaster and Rocky Maivea.

Im going to agree with everyone else CM Punk really is the next big thing in wrestling. he made wrestling more enjoyable and is pretty much the only thing that is keeping me into wrestling. I also like Daniel Bryan. This is the first time since when Benoit and Guerro where the champions that the two best WRESTLERS are at the top as the champion.

Dolph Ziggler and Cody Rhodes who showed a lot of improvement two wrestlers that I like a lot now I hope big things happen to them. I'm also a a fan of Sheamus I just he think he was pushed way too soon.

The only guy who i really don't like is Jack Swagger and The Miz everything about the two, I don't really like them. I don't think that good, and I don't see anything that special in Swagger. I feel The Miz gets the same fan reaction as JBL he doesn't draw good heel heat the fans just really don't like him and would rather see some one more deserving haveing his spot. I thought that he was going to be the next Marty Janetty when he was teaming with Morrison and he was going to be the whos career sky rocketed

I have no idea what the hell WWE was thinking when they had Low Ki or Kaval in WWE he is one of the best wrestlers in the world. he is a better wrestler then any wrestler on the WWE roster I think he even a better wrestler then Punk. It was a shame that he was put on NXT and its even more of a shame that LayCool were his mentors. Despite his size Low Ki is the real deal.

1/ Chicken or the egg question... Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold/Rock were huge stars because the era they were in was huge main stream wise, or was it because of these men that Wrestling was huge main stream wise. A debate for another time... however...

2/ If we are looking for the next big name will it be because they bring it about or because the era they are facilittates the opportunity to do so??? Like I said chicken or the egg.

Now in saying that Wade Barrett has all the tools. He is a big guy, as far as I now he's god looking enough to be on posters etc. and sorry CM unk fans but he is the best on the mic in the WWE right now. And he doesn't need cheap heat like breaking down 4th walls to draw in an audience. This guy absolutley gets it. I think the only thing stopping him is possibly the fact that he isn't American.

I'm not saying Vince is racist, and I know Sheamus is a two time WWE Champion, but Cena and Orton are in the spotlight they are the main focus of the show and have been for almost seven years straight now. Sheamus hasn't been in the title picture since he lost the belt over a year ago now. Barrett in my mind is the future, but he needs that something that he can tap into that will make him explode.

For example in the 80's the rock n roll wrestling, the hair bands really was what America was all about, fast money, fast cars, bright colours and Hulkamania tapped inot it and it exploded.

The 90's were all about grunge music and dark violent films like Robocop, T2 etc. and anti establishment type vibes which Austin tapped into.

Today's sort of day and age, it has been all about (perhaps- as I don't live in the U.S.) aboout cleaner living and eating better which is where boy scout John Cena sort of works, but at the same times adult comedies like the Hangover and Bridesmaids are doing big business. The superstar of the day needs to tap into the vein of what pop culture is doing at that time, and whoever that maybe, be it Barrett or Brodus Clay can become the next big thing.

I think the thing that separates today's "Superstars" from the likes of the Rock and Stone Cold is one thing. Vincent Kennedy McMahon. Both the Rock and Austin (especially Austin) can tie their popularity to programs with Vince. The same can be said for DX. McMahon was the character everyone loved to hate. He embodied everything people hated about their own bosses and the people that kicked his ass were loved for it.

Throughout the Austin/Rock era nobody got a bigger pop than when they took it to Vince and nobody got booed more loudly than when they aligned with him.

I think having the "Anonymous Raw GM" killed that aspect of the show. Their was no central foil. Cole couldn't be it because he had no power so was left to feud with Lawler. I think they are actually on the right track with Laurenitis. He is becoming more comfortable on the mic and is starting to draw some really good heat from the crowd. Look at David Otunga. Before aligning with Laurenitis he got virtually no reaction, now he gets some good heat when he comes to the ring. If Laurenitis causes Punk to lose the title at the heat on him will go through the roof and establish him as the perfect foil that the masses want to see taken down. The star (or starts) that end up getting the better of him will end up seeing their popularity go up significantly.

That being said, I agree with the other poster that no matter how "over" the stars of today get, it won't be comparable to prior era simply for due to the fact that professional wrestling as an entity is less popular.

The stars that battle the established foils (when they are established) will always be the biggest stars of a respective era.

To finally answer the question, I would say CM Punk has the best chance to come as close as possible considering the circumstances.

I think wwe should try and get Jesse Sorensen from Tna everytime i see this kid I'm impressed great young wrestler reminds me of a young Randy orton.

In answer to your question hmm
Dolph ziggler and Miz

CM Punk. Easy. To try and compare him to Steve Austin or Rock is absurd and unfair. It was different eras altogether. Times change in every sport, and that includes pro wrestling. CM Punk is his own man and if WWE would just take the chains off again and let him do what he does best he'd be more marketable and more people would watch. Turning him full fledged babyface was a mistake.

Dolph Ziggler will be the next big thing. He will not be on the level of Rock or Stone Cold but he is very close to putting it all together. He has all the intangibles, the "it" factor, great in-ring skills (arguably the best in the WWE), a good look and his promo work is emerging to be tops in the company.

The Next Big Thing? Don't know about that, dude. Right now it's John Cena, but after that....?

And really, who knows? When Supercena, there was John Cena - Prof. of Thuganomics who had a strong cult following before and when he won the United States title, just like Zach Ryder, so maybe someday with a little mentoring Ryder will be the next Cena. WHO KNOWS? LOL.

CM Punk will never each the level of Rock, Austin, Hogan and even Cena. Punk is one of the top guys at the moment but he just doesnt have 'it'. Yes, the PG constraints maybe hold the guy back but the 4 I mentioned are on a different level in terms of marketability.

Punk has already lost all his steam and ratings prove that. The 'internet' love him and he gets good pops but he isnt the guy people tune in to see. Fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back