The Next Big Thing?

NO this is not me just asking who is gonna be the next main event star in the WWE. This is me asking who is gonna be the next guy to get to the top in the way Brock Lesnar did. Brock came into the WWE and he was a forced to be reckoned with. He won his first WWE championship in less then a year! He beat the top guys at the time too. He beat the Crap out of Hollywood Hulk Hogan during there quick feud beat, The Rock to win his first WWE title, beat The Undertaker in a feud for the belt that ended in a Hell in a Cell match, and headlined WM 19 in a great match against Kurt Angle. He pretty much engraved his name into the history books of the WWE by the time he was 25.

So my question has three parts to it. Do you think having another superstar get a super push to the top be a good thing for WWE, if yes why and if no why? And if so then Who?

Now i also relize that after the way Lesnar left wrestling in 2004 it probably convinced vince to never put so much money and other stuff behind a star so quickly, but i feel like if another guy like Lesnar came along who could receive a super push then maybe it might be a good thing for WWE?

I dont know what do you guys think?

There is word that the Miz has been a great worker for Vince McMahon, kind of like the worker Cena is/used to be. In my opinion this is the start of a super push for the Miz, its blatantly obvious that he will lose the U.S title at NOC, and cash in his money in the bank. As champion he will enter some huge rivalries with Randy Orton, Edge and Chris Jericho, MAYBE even ZACK RYDER! The Miz has a big future in the WWE no doubt about it, the question is just how big, and how soon?

I think it's obvious ever since Brock Lesnar left, they've been trying to get a guy to fill that void. The guys they're pushing all seem to have a similar build to Lesnar. I think pushing guys like that isn't a good idea in the long run, because for the most part, they're too green.

-They tried it with Batista, and I say it worked pretty well.

-They tried it with Bobby Lashley, and it didn't work.

-They tried it with Sheamus, and the jury's still out as to how well he's gonna to in the long run. I thought that Sheamus wasn't and still isn't anywhere near ready to be WWE Champion. He's starting to get over now, but he damn sure wasn't the 1st time he won the belt. I think a guy should be over BEOFRE becoming WWE Champ, not after.

-They tried it with Jack Swagger as kind of an Angle/Lesnar hybrid. I don't think it worked at all. As soon as they could, they got the belt off him.

-They're definitely trying it with Wade Barrett. Again, it's the same thing with Sheamus. I think he's way too green to be in the Main Event this early. Earlier this year, the guy wasn't even wrestling. He was a commentator. Now, he's a part of the biggest angle in wrestling, and leading the biggest group. Even though, I think the only person in his group that's worth a damn is him. But I still don't think he should be Main Eventing.

To me it's obvious they're looking for a Brock Lesnar type. But, Lesnar was a once in a lifetime guy. To me, it seems like they're pushing guys based upon their "look" and "potential", and not because they're particularly good in the ring, on the mic, or have a connection with the fans.

They're pushing guys now, and worrying about if they're over or not later.

The fans have been saying the WWE should be pushing new, younger talent for about 2-3 years. They're finally starting to do it now. Except now I don't think the guys they're pushing are ready, or very good.

The guys the fans were saying they should be pushing a long time ago were good enough and ready years ago.

To me, it's frustrating to see guys come in and get pushed right away, when there's guys who are better who either get pushed back in their angles, or released.

The Nexus is an example. The only person in Nexus that I think is worth a damn is Wade Barrett. I don't like to see the WWE spending so much airtime on these guys who aren't very good when there's guys who are a lot better and can use the airtime.

wade barrett is definately the nxt big guy to get a super push, actually wouldnt surprise me if he gets a shot against taker at mania

-They tried it with Sheamus, and the jury's still out as to how well he's gonna to in the long run. I thought that Sheamus wasn't and still isn't anywhere near ready to be WWE Champion. He's starting to get over now, but he damn sure wasn't the 1st time he won the belt. I think a guy should be over BEOFRE becoming WWE Champ, not after

I think they probably planned on getting the belt back on Sheamus around the same time they did but that it would come after a feud with Triple H that would have done absolute wonders for him. Triple H being injured gave him a bit of a push that they could run the storyline that Sheamus took him out but I think the rub he would have got from a few pay-per view matches with the Game would have been far greater. Personally I hope he keeps the title until Triple H returns and we can see the two feud again. I'm a big fan of Sheamus, I was hugely surprised when he won the belt first time round I have to admit but I think he has massive potential, he just needs the right guidance and the right matches to showcase his ability.

I actually like the greenness of the new talent. But that's really only acceptable on the mat. I am more a fan of proper promos and at the very least, having match psychology.

So my question has three parts to it. Do you think having another superstar get a super push to the top be a good thing for WWE, if yes why and if no why? And if so then Who?

Now i also relize that after the way Lesnar left wrestling in 2004 it probably convinced vince to never put so much money and other stuff behind a star so quickly, but i feel like if another guy like Lesnar came along who could receive a super push then maybe it might be a good thing for WWE?

I dont know what do you guys think?

There's a few reasons that Lesnar's push worked, the big part is Lesnar's push is a lot like Lesnar's real experiences in the UFC. He's just this big pure athlete who came in and believably dominated. But the difference between what the WWE is doing now and what they did with Lesnar is build.

Lesnar's debut featured him squashing 3 jobbers. Then he had a feud with a very popular tag team in the Hardyz. The feud did 2 things, first it gave people a taste of Lesnar's style and it enhanced his credibility when he was able to beat 2 wrestlers on his own. Then you had Lesnar winning King Of The Ring, beating a ton of mid-card guys, some of whom were very popular like Rikishi and RVD. Finally they had Lesnar beat a legit legend in Hulk Hogan, he beat him and did so in a brutal fashion.

Lesnar won the title from The Rock. While the actual feud with The Rock only went for a month he had been built up as an unstoppable force and The Rock seemed to be the only wrestler who could beat him. So when Lesnar went over The Rock at Summerslam you knew he was going to be a dominant force for a long time, the build was perfect so Lesnar winning was believable.

Compare to Sheamus, who had a small feud with Shelton Benjamin and Goldust on WWECW. Then he came to RAW beat up Jaimie Noble and Jerry Lawler before being named #1 contender to Cena's title. Sheamus' build was non-existent. He dominated jobbers for a month and won a battle royal. His victory over Cena was even booked to look like a fluke and during his first reign all his matches ended under hazy conditions.

His second reign has been better but the fact that he lost the title once already and has been shown constantly having his opponents get the better of him makes him less credible.

Same goes for Barrett, his first ever match on RAW saw him tap to Cena. Same goes for Swagger who they brought in as a dominant monster then spent months jobbing him out to Santino then slapped the championship on him for a bit. The WWE could quite easily create a second Lesnar but he would #1 need to debut a heel (the face Lesnar AKA Lashley just didn't work) and he'd need a good solid 3-4 month build. A few months winning squashes, then a serious feud with a popular mid-carder or two. Then they'd be ready. I can almost guarantee if Sheamus built himself up over the course of a few months beating guys like Morrison and Christian he'd have had a much better reign.

So to answer your question, sure a Lesnar-push could work, so long as they build it right. As for who to build a year ago I'd have said Swagger when he made that vow not to lose a match until WM. Right now, no idea.

I think Brock Lesnar is the yardstick for all future 'Next Big Things'. He made his debut in March 2002 and won his first WWE Undisputed Championship at SummerSlam of that year against The Rock. Let me reiterate: He was an unknown when he made his debut and just five months later he main evented the second biggest PPV of the year, went over the face of the company and won the only World Championship in the whole company.

That is gonna take some beating.

Do you think having another superstar get a super push to the top be a good thing for WWE, if yes why and if no why?

Yes I like the 'next big thing' style push every so often. Slow builds are good, but quick, strong pushes add an element of surprise and make you go "Whoa, what happened there?!". In indy promotions it's OK to have wrestler work their way to the top. But Raw and SmackDown are TV shows and therefore need those surprises to keep up viewer interest.

Lesnar's push was so brilliant because of Paul Heyman too, acting as his agent. Seeing his entrances reminds me of a Ringmaster introducing an act at the circus, like a strongman or a shaved chimp that smokes. It really added something to the whole push.

And if so then Who?

Hmmm, this is the thing that gets me. It really has to be someone who is not already on WWE TV (which is why Sheamus' push can't be put in with Lesnar's, he was already on ECW). So you'll be looking at someone in FCW and why not: it choc-full of talent. Although I don't know much about the developmental territory, I know that this guy could be the next big thing...

mason_ryan.jpg

At 6 ft 5 in and 280lb Mason Ryan certainly has the size. A very similar build to Batista actually. He has a good look and a cracking name but isn't all that on the mic. But that's fine. What did you think Paul Heyman was for? He probably needs longer in FCW (he's only been there since January). But if I was a betting man, I would put money on Mason Ryan recieving the next Lesnar-style push.

At the moment it look's to be between two people Miz and Wade Barrett. Both of these men have had major pushed lately and both have title shots in the near future. They are both decent in the ring and very good on the mic and both have a good look. I would say that it is too close to call, Vince seems to be very high on both of these guys and is giving them both monster pushes, who is the more succesful of the two remains to be seen but one of these two will be the next big thing.

Honestly, IMO the next big thing its on RAW already and I'm talking about Wade Barrett. Wade could easily become the next Brock, He's huge and gets tons of heat all over the world. After the Nexus angle is over Wade could become the top heel of the WWE and the next big thing in the WWE.

I'm sorry to say that but i don't think WWE can do something as big as brock lesnar, but if there is something smaller it gotta be barret or sheamus. However, I think WWE tried their best to make Bobby lashley the next big thing. They made him a lesnar ripoff. He said jumping from mat to ring was his idea when Brock was the first to do it. Then comes, Batista, he is like cena he had 5 moves, just that 3 of them can be used as finishers. Then comes sheamus, he is good and all and made it in less than a year, but he is simply not muscular enough. Barret needs more time than brock need if he is to become the next big thing because his set of moves aren't alot.

I mean can you count how many moves brock had. As muscular as he is and you see a moonsault, some amazing and unique grapple moves, and sometimes even submission move. Sorry I can't see something as big as brock any time soon, but Wade Barret is the only option atm.

It's Barrett.

The Miz doesn't qualify, he has been in the WWE for years. Lesnar's rise was meteoric. He made an impact straight away (hauling Rikishi off his hooves and giving him an F-5 just for the fun of it), won the King of the Ring (beating RVD in the final) and winning the title off the Rock at Summerslam. That is meteoric.

The Miz began hosting Smackdown years ago. He's a slow burner.

The next big thing is Wade Barrett. He has come in on NXT and won, his equivalent of the King of the Ring. He gets a title shot, just like Lesnar did. Sure, it's not one on one like Brock, but in a very short space of time Barrett has gone from absolute nobody to genuine threat. Their pushes are almost the same so far, except you would have to multiply Heyman and make him a tad more athletic to get the Nexus effect.

The next big thing is Wade Barrett. He has come in on NXT and won, his equivalent of the King of the Ring. He gets a title shot, just like Lesnar did. Sure, it's not one on one like Brock, but in a very short space of time Barrett has gone from absolute nobody to genuine threat. Their pushes are almost the same so far, except you would have to multiply Heyman and make him a tad more athletic to get the Nexus effect.

I have to agree. Brock forced himself into being a big deal and Wade has talked himself into being a big deal. I also think Wade is much better off than Lesnar because he doesn't need someone to talk for him and he doesn't look like an unstoppable force. imo, This makes me much more versatile as a character because he can ping around like he has been doing and I think he would make a great face.

Also, I think SD's own Next Big Thing, is Alberto Del Rio. I know he has been around the block a time or two, but he is new to the American wrestling crowds. The guy is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back