The Aftermath & Future: What will happen next & will there be a backlash?

After reading the Smackdown/ECW results, I don't think the WWE is changing their storylines that much. All the current feuds wll continue. The only thing different, and not even that different as of the past few weeks, is that we probably won't see Vince on screen for a while. Also, you can almost definatly expect the Wellness Policy be taken more seriously. For two months. After the WWE feels that the bad media attention is all but gone, things will slowly go back to normal. Then again, who knows? How many other main event calabier, currently signed wrestlers have went from Household name, or better yet, "one of, if not, the greatest wrestler alive today", go to a plain old "Murderer"? For the past three days, I refused to call Benoit a murderer, but it has finally sunk in thats what happened.

To answer the threat clearly, there will be a backlash from the media, and expect to see A) some of the roster to begin taking vacations (due to failing upcoming drug tests) and B) expect a few of the injured superstars to return in the next few weeks (HHH, Rey, Kennedy)

When it comes to the McMhaon death angle, I just think that's wrestling. You're always going to see over the top stuff like that. I remember Hogan knocked Big Show's monster truck off the top of a roof once and Big Show was presumed dead. Eric Bischoff was crushed in a garbage truck, there's was something with a car running into an ambulance and whatever. THe death angle has always been around but the media just happened to pick up on this one and that's pretty much a goldmine for any wrestling orginazation so of course they tried to milk it. I see no harm in that.

In regards to the workers in the wrestling business. They all know what they are in for and many people have left because they couldn't or just didn't want to deal with that life style. Heidenrich, Nathan Jones, and Canon Palmer were all guys that knew in themselves that that wasn't the lifestyle for them and they left and on the other hand you have people like Lance Storm, Chris Jericho and Big Show knew that it was time to step back and two of those guys were former world champs. All of these people are adults and know what they are doing and get paid well for doing it when they do it. Hollywood is just as bad if not worse than the wrestling industry when you think about. Why are there so many people in Hollywood with drug problems. It's not like they're going on the road 250+ days a year in a different city every night. When Britney or Lindsay go to rehab they don't blame their record lable or movie studio or even Hollywood. THey blame the person because that's the person to blame not the movie or music industry. When a football player dies from a drug overdose or heart failure they never cast a bad light on the NFL. Even the MLB doesn't get any blame from the McGuire, Bonds, and Giambi incidences. People just like to hate on wrestling.

As for being a backlash on wrestling. I guess. If you want to call it a backlash. Everytime wrestling gets mainstream attention they bash it and always try to involve steroids. As soon as the mainstream doesn't care about wrestling anymore neither will the mainstream media. The only time wrestling is on mainstream media is to be bashed on way or another so backlash, no, reigniting mainstream hatred towards wrestling, yes.

Let's be realistic we all know guys like Hogan, Warrior, Graham and Savage have taken steroids and other performance drugs, but I've never heard of them take it to the level Benoit did. Even though guys like Eddie and Hawk did it to,they went and got help even though physically it was to last for them. If Benoit was a real man who had a emotional problem, he should have followed in the footsteps of his friend Eddie Guerrerro. Chavo, Dean Malenko, Rey or any other of his close friends he could have talked to, but because he was only thinking about himself when this happened, Vince and Jarrett are going to have to be tougher when it comes to their wellness programs because if they don't, as much media attention this story is getting, the government will have no choice but to get involved, no matter how they feel about wrestling. Then the main event guys that you see now will be outted and probably ruin their career all because some stupid ass piece of crap wants to be selfish. The day you see Chris Benoit inducted into the hall of fame will be the day i stop watching wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think often people get confussed between Vince in real-life, and Vince in WWE. Vince is not a cold, calculating, power hungry manic. He loves wrestling, and obviously just wanted to create more intrest with this storyline. Vince should be in no way blamed, or insulted because of what happened. If anything Benoit should recieve the backlash becausethe moment he killed his son I lost all respect I had for him. After its all settled down? It will be bad for WWE, I think WWE might consider having some kind of overhaul of all storylines to try to freshen things up after this horrible event.

The event was horrible and the death of his son was possibly one of te worst thing that a perosn can do, but you can't throw away the rest of his life for this one event. Yes, Benoit did something horrible and if there is some kind of afterlife, I hope he pays for it. But you have to realise that there was something wrong with Benoit, something was causing him to behave erratically and it was something that was beyond his control. Wether it was drugs (he was taking prescription steroids since the neck injury) that just build up or something else, he was not fully to blame. None of us will ever know for sure what was going on with him, though everyone will speculate.

Should he be reviled as a person for his acts? Possibly, but that shouldn't effect his legacy as a wrestler. Other athletes, or stars have done just as horrible as he has and they were still revered for what they did in their lives, not what happened at the end.

When it comes to the McMhaon death angle, I just think that's wrestling. You're always going to see over the top stuff like that. I remember Hogan knocked Big Show's monster truck off the top of a roof once and Big Show was presumed dead. Eric Bischoff was crushed in a garbage truck, there's was something with a car running into an ambulance and whatever---emceelokey

There's been too many of these kinds of story lines to count. Every single casket match, buried alive match, every time some one gets 'busted' open. These are all examples of these forms of storylines. Paul Bearer getting buried in concrete not long after the 'Deadman' returned. HHH's car being lifted by a forklift by Austin and dropped, and so many others.

THere's no problem with these storylines in and of themselves, but the McMahon death story line just had the absolute worse timing in history. It was interesting, but with the deaths of the Benoit family, they need to avoid it now. Everyone here is saying that McMahon should stay off tv, but I think that's the wrong way to go. The same with vilifying Benoit.

They should try and go about their regular stories as best they can, but make sure to let people know about the struggle they endure in order to entertain us. Benoit was ultimately responsible for his actions, but it was the pressure he was under from his employers, who were being pressured by the fans, that made him snap.

People have asked if Benoit should be in the Hall of Fame? I say yes. You can't ignore what he did for more then years to entertain fans. If Benoit doesn't make it to the Hall of Fame, then you have to go to all sports and take out all the people who have done similarly horrible things from their hall of fames. There are murderors, rapists, drug traffickers and worse in each and every hall of fame. A person's history should not be ignored because of one insane event.

Coltx- Thanks for posting this, I was about to. The truth is, we all as wrestling fans need to take a step back and asses the state of this form of entertainment we all revere.

I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday, who went off on a sidebar talking about what is happening to what we love and the people we grew up idolizing. I am 25, and I have been a wrestling fan since Wrestlemania 8. In the past week alone, I have watched as the deaths of Sherri Martel and now the bizarre deaths of Chris and Nancy, as well as their child, has taken the pro wrestling world to another difficult stage.

What worries me is the mainstream attention now. WWE was "successfully" generating a mainstream buzz with the death of Mr. McMahon in the limo. This on the heels of "successful" mainstream attention from Donald Trump's Wrestlemania appearance. The press, especially those members of the press who have jumped on pro wrestling at every turn, aren't going to look at this with a tear in their eye as we fans have. They are going to tee off like Barry Bonds in BP. Phil Mushnick, the hypocritical opportunist bastard at the top of the list.

But you have to stop and think about it: Miss Elizabeth dies from drugs while with Lex Luger. Eddie Guerrero and Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow to toxic levels of drugs, alcohol, and a problem with their liver. Konnan going through dialysis. The list goes on and on. Professional wrestling has a problem, whether it is physical, psychological, or both.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that professional wrestling gets no "free pass" or "time to grieve." For critics of this form of entertainment, there is no "too soon." They will reference the ridiculous psychological demands placed on wrestlers, but when a Marine comes home without psychological preparation to re-enter society and they flip out, we have to thank them for their contributions to protecting America's freedom. Wrestling is at the wrong end of a hideous double standard, and as fans, we will be major recipients of it.

I can only hope the WWE weathers this storm, and somehow emerges stronger. I hope they recognize the flaws that exist, whatever they are, and fix them as soon as possible. But overall, I hope we, as wrestling fans, never stop supporting those superstars who have captured our imaginations, and done so the right way.

By far... you have taken the words out of almost everyones mouths. Bar none this is one of the most intelligent posts I have ever read. I'm purposely posting away from the topic at hand, just to point a finger at your post and say, yes. Well done, and I hope you receive a lot of rep points for this.

ESPN page 2 story

This is a well written surface analysis on the Wrestling Industry, it does raise some very good points, when a Wrestler doesn't die from a tragic event is a rarity. But Vince will most likely be brought up before Congress with the results of the Toxicology report, Id do it anyway bringing in all of Pro Wrestling promoters in the US including Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett as well as the NWA and Ring of Honor, this could potentially make the Wrestling Industry cleaner on the whole, which would be a great thing to occur. but the last line in this thing is something that people should realise and is a really intelligent assessment.

"It seems the drama in pro wrestling isn't as fake as we'd like to believe."

I think this maybe turning into a blessing in disguise, bare with me on this one.

The spotlight is shining brightly on the WWE right now. The Steroid issue is full blown yet again. Congress has been cracking down on the NFL and MLB with steroids, and this event has shined the light onto the WWE. Personally, I would love to see the government step in and bring in the mandatory drug screening, if not the WWE faces huge penalties.

Also, a lot of people, especially sports radio guys, are being sympathetic with the Benoit situation, as odd as that sounds. They are finally recognizing these guys as athletes and that the WWE is a hard life style. The big thing that has been pushed this week, the guys working more then 300+ days a year.

My personal hope, and it won't happen, but the government should step in, not only in wrestling, but all pro-sports, and hold the organization responsible for their athletes. This includes physical and mental check ups. Also, I really hope the WWE drops their house shows and just sticks to TV. I can see running house shows in Europe or Australia, when they get their once or twice a year, but while they are state side it is just pointless. Rarely do they sellout. Give these guys 3-4 days off a week to be with family.

it doesnt seem like WWEs changing a lot, i just cant wait for HHH, rey,HBK (yes i already miss him lol) to return and dominate!, i just hope HHH or rey are still in shape to wrestle after so much time off =/...

but im not sure HHH will come back so soon after all this steroids crap..

lucky for TNA not many ppl on their roster uses steroids, while on the other hand like 70% of WWEs roster uses steroids

lucky for TNA not many ppl on their roster uses steroids, while on the other hand like 70% of WWEs roster uses steroids

no wonder your username is act a fool...

What the hell kinda statement is that? I can guarantee you that the TNA guys are juicing just as much as the WWE guys, it's synonymous with wrestling...and MMA...and football...and baseball...and athletics.... The fact is that everyone does it these days. It only becomes a problem when steriod use turns into steroid abuse, something that happens a lot in the US.

In the UK, our steroid laws are different, steroids are a class C drug meaning they are legal to use and possess if they're pharma grade and in an amount that can be deemed "personal". However intent to supply is illegal and the possession of underground steroids is also illegal.

Because of our steroid laws, users are more educated on what constitutes sensible steroid use and tragedies involving steroids are rare

I read the recap of Vince's appearance on the Today show earlier, and the recap said that Merideth Vierra asked Vince why the WWE released a statement saying that steroids, or at least 'roid rage, weren't the cause of death and how he could say that without the toxicology report. And the first thing I thought was that if pretty much every article published on the topic brings up the steroids and 'roid rage and how likely it is and what now, why can't Vince say that they weren't a factor? It's fairplay because neither side really knows yet.

I really respect Vince for how he's handling this because he has to take it from so many angles. He has to react as a father, a husband, (I would assume) Benot's friend, his boss, and as the chairmain of a billion dollar company.

And as far as the backlash goes, and I think someone else said this earlier, that whenever wrestlering does come up in the mainstream media, it is always in a negative light. They just keep trying to smear the image of wrestling, especially by bringing up deaths that really don't have any similarity to this situation. No other wrestler has killed anyone, but they lump the accidents and drug problems with this just to put more heat on the WWE.

And I think there's always a backlash against wrestling. Why would so many wrestler trying to do more leave off the title of "former pro-wrestler" if there wasn't? Whenever you see Chris Jericho on TV, he's a musician/actor. And Stacy Keibler wants to be know as just an actress. It doesn't make sense to me that people look down on it because they're not into it. If someone didn't like basketball, that doesn't mean that they look down upon the athletes themselves. So why is wrestling different?

But like someone else said earlier, at least more people are looking at them as real athletes now. I have faith the WWE will come out of this on top.

I have faith the WWE will come out of this on top.

I don't know about that. Someone is going to be blamed, Wrestling in a nutshell will go on but it will never ever be the same again. I also doubt this is going to be the very last tragic tragedy. :schild29:

no wonder your username is act a fool...

What the hell kinda statement is that? I can guarantee you that the TNA guys are juicing just as much as the WWE guys, it's synonymous with wrestling...and MMA...and football...and baseball...and athletics.... The fact is that everyone does it these days. It only becomes a problem when steriod use turns into steroid abuse, something that happens a lot in the US.

In the UK, our steroid laws are different, steroids are a class C drug meaning they are legal to use and possess if they're pharma grade and in an amount that can be deemed "personal". However intent to supply is illegal and the possession of underground steroids is also illegal.

Because of our steroid laws, users are more educated on what constitutes sensible steroid use and tragedies involving steroids are rare

lol calm down man, it just doesnt seem they are using steroids, because when someone starts using steroids dont they star getting huge? like eddie, batista, lashley... never seen someone use steroids and stay small =/

there are some thats obvious that take them or have, like rhyno, scott steiner (duh), devon, tomko, that new rick banderas, and there are a few more, but im not remebering right now

but like pretty much all of the X division im guessing doesnt use steroids, and some mid card guys... then again i dont know all the effects steroids has so its true i could be ''acting a fool'' lol...

^What an idiotic post.

Honestly, Chris Benoit will affect the business in some way. This is the same **** that happened when Eddie died, probably worse. Benoit murdered his family, whether you all want to accept it or not. However, I will defend him. There was a difference between Chris Benoit, the wrestler, and Chris Benoit, the man. Benoit the wrestler took great pride into what he did, and he spent years building up his legacy in the Wrestling world. As far as I can tell, Chris Benoit was WWE's greatest technical wrestler ever since Eddie died.

But then again, one move outside of the ring could cause something so big that it shakes the WWE AND TNA to its core. I want to stop here and paste an article I read. Please take the time to read it. I'm not saying that Benoit is innocent, but this is quite peculiar.

Did Kevin Sullivan Murder Chris Benoit and His Family?

By Johnny Angel
(Former Pro Wrestling Champion)
Now known as Rev. Johnny Lee Clary
World-Wide Evangelist

Kevin Sullivan
(Is he the real killer of Benoit and his family?)

The late Chris Benoit and his wife Nancy

The tragic deaths of Chris Benoit and his wife Nancy and son Daniel have shocked the wrestling world. The police are calling it a double-murder-suicide, but is it really? Let’s look at some facts. It has been 10 years exactly since Nancy divorced Kevin Sullivan to marry Chris Benoit. In the 1980’s Sullivan, along with his then-wife Nancy, were running a gimmick in wrestling of how they were Satanists, and Nancy was known as “The Fallen Angel.” She later became known as “Woman.” The trouble with the Satanists gimmick was it was for real, and was not a work, or fake. In the 1990’s Kevin Sullivan was the booker for WCW, and he scripted his wife Nancy into having an affair with Chris Benoit who was a member of the Four Horsemen. This made for a good angle, except, the acting became reality as Chris and Nancy actually fell in love and Nancy divorced Sullivan to marry Benoit.

Benoit left the WCW to go to work for the WWE which was then known as the WWF. It is a fact that Sullivan threatened Benoit and told him he would kill him. Yes, that was 10 years ago, but Kevin Sullivan is no dummy. He is known for being a calculating, cold-hearted individual. Today, according to a source close to me, Kevin Sullivan is a high ranking member of the Satanic Church. The police need to consider the possibility that Sullivan carried out these gruesome murders in order to have his revenge, which is what Satanists live for. He could have entered the home, with an accomplice or accomplices and held the Benoit’s at gunpoint, Sullivan could have then bound up Nancy, and made Benoit and his son watch as he strangled the life out of her. Then the next day after making Benoit and his son spend the day in agony, murdered Benoit’s little boy because of his hatred for the offspring of Benoit and Nancy. Then he could have made Benoit wait an entire day before killing him to by hanging him in the basement.

By doing this, not only would Kevin Sullivan have lived out his Satanic Church creed with his lust for revenge, but he would have destroyed Chris Benoit’s reputation which is what has happened now as the wrestling world is attacking the memory of Chris Benoit remembering him as an insane baby killer and wife killer instead of the great World Champion wrestler and friend that he was.

Satanists hate the Bible and the police have stated that a Bible was found next to the bodies of Benoit’s wife and son. This would serve as a bizarre calling card as if to either say “What good did your Bible do you?” or to throw off investigators to keep them from suspecting Sullivan and his Satanists would have been involved.

Another thing to note is the fact that Kevin Sullivan was also associated with Sherri Martel, who died just a few days before the bodies of Chris Benoit, and his family was found, and the full details of Martell’s death have not been made known as of the time of this writing.

I wonder why the police have not even considered investigating the possibility the Kevin Sullivan killed Benoit, Nancy, and their child. It is certainly a possibility worth looking in to.

Also, Benoit was going to be crowned ECW World Champion on Sunday night. Why would he murder his family and kill himself when he was going to be on top again and make lots more money?

Why would he tie his wife up before killing her? He would have no reason to, but Kevin Sullivan sure would!

Sure he had some problems with Nancy, but that was 4 years ago and what married couple doesn’t have problems? Remember also that they reconciled and as far as everyone knows there has been no other incidents reported.

One also needs to consider the fact that Benoit loved his kids and was so proud of his son that was killed. His kids wore suits and ties to his wrestling events and was proud of their dad. He was loved and respected by all those who knew him.

In my opinion, there is no way he would have murdered his family. This whole murder case has Satanists written all over it and Sullivan is a Satanist and has the motive to murder them.

I am encouraging anyone who reads this to send this to police authorities and circulate it on the internet, so these facts can be investigated, before the case is closed and Benoit is written off in history a murderer. If Sullivan is the real killer, justice should be served!

As a former Pro Wrestler myself, now a born again Christian and world wide evangelist, I am hoping and praying for justice no matter who is responsible.

Rev. Johnny Lee Clary

Story lines appart I think Vice should look at setting up a season so that his wrestlers can have a month or two off the road to recharge both physicaly and emotionaly, with 3 brands he should be able to do this without having to completley remove is product from TV. I think that this would also benfit him in the long term as injuries and will also reduce as well as the stress levels of the Wrestlers.

Story lines appart I think Vice should look at setting up a season so that his wrestlers can have a month or two off the road to recharge both physicaly and emotionaly, with 3 brands he should be able to do this without having to completley remove is product from TV. I think that this would also benfit him in the long term as injuries and will also reduce as well as the stress levels of the Wrestlers.

I wish wwe would stop with the storyline BS. As far as stress level comment. Roddy Piper on his DVD says "They work you hard, till you drop dead." I can't even imagine the emotional toll being on the road must do to wrestlers.

If the news breaking today that Chris Benoit was being supplied with ten months worth of anabolic steroids every three to four weeks by Dr. Phil Astin turns out to be accurate, this will make World Wrestling Entertainment look extremely bad stemming from their press release comments last week.

U.S. Attorney David Nahmias reported that on average, Benoit was reportedly getting a ten-month supply of anabolic steroids every three to four weeks during a period from May 4, 2006 to May 9, 2007 from Dr. Astin. So, the April 10, 2007 WWE drug test that Benoit passed was right in the middle of that time period, making earlier claims by WWE look like a joke now to the media and a huge blow to the company overall.

Records are showing that Dr. Astin prescribed over 1 million doses of numerous drugs over the last two years, many of which were prescription painkillers and anabolic steroids. Many of the prescriptions were un-dated, which is illegal. - Said one federal agent about Dr. Phil Astin: "Dr. Astin allegedly prescribed these drugs like candy. Dirty doctors should be on notice that they face federal prosecution and federal prison time."

The early reaction to this news has to be complete credibility loss for WWE when it comes to the company's Wellness Policy. And with Benoit more than likely being tested throughout the year, it is pretty much impossible to have any form of confidence in the drug policy with the release of this information contradicting everything. It should be noted that Benoit was off for many months in 2006 and likely was not tested by WWE during that period, but it's believed he was tested at least four times minimum during a period where he was taking very heavy doses of anabolic steroids based on the timeline provided by investigators today.

It's now been made public that Benoit was arguing with his wife Nancy over his increased use of steroids at the same time he was subject to a drug testing policy. WWE announcing that Benoit passed a drug test on April 10 is something that can no longer hold up among public opinion now that these facts have been released, especially with it taking place well into the beginning of the Wellness policy being implemented. There are numerous possibilities on how Benoit may have been passing tests. Either WWE's testing is very flawed, Benoit found a way to beat the tests or the drug tests were a cover (although that could be disputed with wrestlers such as Chris Masters and Joey Mercury being subject to them not long ago).

Dave Meltzer provided an excellent commentary on this situation saying quote: "This is the first time when I truly fear that wrestling as we know it not only will be undergoing great changes, but that as bad as Vince McMahon's reputation is in some circles, and even with his history of rebounding from negatives, this will tarnish it to a level that he may never live to fully turn around. There will be a far increased number of cries in the media over the next week, which have already started, to do something about the industry. Between the advertisers, sponsors, and those action figures with the muscular physiques, this is not a story going away soon."

Honestly, in a sick kind of way, this whole Benoit thing may have been the best thing to happen to the company in a long damn time. It's over for the WWE Wellness program, it's shot to hell, and it isn't coming back the same way before.

I really hope the WWE absolutely gets killed in the media this week. The WWE jumping on the steroid story last Tuesday night was as big of an admission of guilt in my eye as anything. Finally, someone should step in and really go after Vince and his piss poor Steroid program.

Big Changes are in store, and honestly I think it's going to be for the better. Get the giant roided no talent monsters out of the ring. There is no need for it.

I really hope the WWE absolutely gets killed in the media this week. The WWE jumping on the steroid story last Tuesday night was as big of an admission of guilt in my eye as anything. Finally, someone should step in and really go after Vince and his piss poor Steroid program.

Big Changes are in store, and honestly I think it's going to be for the better. Get the giant roided no talent monsters out of the ring. There is no need for it.

I don't think that many people on here realize WWE is on rubber legs. When the dust seddles Vince will find a way to sneak out of jail time himself. Truth be told Vince knows he's a dirty scammer. Media is going to eat Vince alive. It's obvious WWE has been faking drug tests. I can't imagine what will happen in the months to come.

Agreed lets start seeing longer matches with guys who are athletic. I dont want this to turn into a Cena thread but when you think about this strategy he is one of the strong guys but he is still very athletic and can last a solid 20 minutes unlike a batista. Alot of the roster can stay but just give them longer wrestling matches.

Honestly, in a sick kind of way, this whole Benoit thing may have been the best thing to happen to the company in a long damn time. It's over for the WWE Wellness program, it's shot to hell, and it isn't coming back the same way before.

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend. I've stated since day one that the "Wellness Program" was a complete and utter crock of shit. I hope that there is another investigation involving steroids and this time McMahon can't weasel his way out of it. I think somebody needs to take his company away from him so he can understand that at least a modicum of business ethics should be in place and that the talent shouldn't be used like disposable pieces of lunch meat. I personally would love to see what the roster would be like if the dope was REALLY weeded out for once. For every one of the athletes on the roster. Top to bottom. I still remember how pathetic Masters was upon returning after dropping off a cycle. He was even worse than usual...if that's even possible. They need to get back to wrestling and wrestlers. Not using every drug under the sun to enhance these guys to fit some sort of superhero image that doesn't amount to shit in the end. It isn't necessary if the guys are truly talented anyway. Hell, Misterio enterained me more when he was a 140-lb. runt who wasn't bloated from all the meds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back