Super Bowl 50: Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I have to admit, after Kelvin Benjamin went down I expected Carolina to be a .500 team with Atlanta Falcons taking the NFC South. I by no means saw Jonathan Stewart playing a pretty solid season, Ted Ginn catching touchdown passes or Thomas Davis playing at the level he's at. I am completely wrong about this team.

Denver Broncos while I saw as a Super Bowl team, I had suspended my belief when Peyton played mediocre and went down to injury. Denver's defense deserves more credit than it gets. Brock whatshisface and Peyton Manning both played mediocre all season and I cannot credit nobody on that team but that Broncos defense. Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, TJ Ward, Aquib Talib, Chris Harris and Brandon Marshall are the reasons that team is heading to California.

One thing to note: Can the league stop having the Pro Bowl before the Superbowl?

As I've stated in other topics I am a Steelers fan and have been for 31 years - 31 long years. But I've been fond of my home state Carolina Panthers for a number of years and have taken quite a few trips to Bank of America stadium. I am truly hoping Carolina runs over the Broncos and puts Peyton Manning into retirement where he belongs. I hope when Carolina gets done with him, all he will want to do are his Nationwide commercials.

All season Carolina has had it's doubters. I can honestly say I realized how real they were when they won the first game without Luke Kuechkly, who is their best defensive player, second to Thomas Davis. But you had silly analysts saying Seattle were the better team despite Carolina at that point being 14-0 and having beaten Seattle at the time. Then they said Carson Palmer should be MVP. Carolina should use a choice of two lines. Quote Nas and say; "How you like me now, it's that shit that goes pow" or Bob Holly's non-vulgar "how do you like me now?"

With that being said I endorse the home team Carolina Panthers to defeat the Denver Broncos. Who ya got?

I have to go with the Denver Broncos. I'm a sucker for great sports stories and what would be greater then the old gunslinger, making it to the battlefield one more time to win and ride off into the sunset? A Hollywood team couldn't have written a better story. I just think that this is Manning's season and its destiny. I mean look at what's happened to him. He goes down to injury, comes back just in the nick of time, and is now in the Superbowl. Not to mention there has been talks all season of this being his last. It's a perfect storm and Manning is going to come out on top along with the Broncos.

Go Broncos!!!

I guess if it does - Denver's defense will carry the team to a championship while the media surrounds it all around Peyton. Just like with John Elway, who I thought was largely mediocre gets all the praise despite TD being the one that killed his career to secure them a SB.

Well I have half the Superbowl I wanted in Denver making it but Arizona got annihilated by Carolina so that makes me sad.

I'm rooting for Denver to win as I think this is Manning's last year before retiring and he deserves it. Realistically I can't see anyone derailing the train that is the Carolina Panthers.

Cam Newton isn't afraid to run the ball if he needs to so when/the Denver defense gets past the Carolina offensive line he has options.

Payton I've noticed doesn't run the ball like ever so he doesn't have/use that option.

I see this being a close game that will come down to who has the better defense that's capable of stopping the opposing offense better.

I'm rooting for Denver, but if I had to bet, I'd bet on Carolina. And, really, how can you not pick Carolina to win, given the season/playoffs they've had?

I think many people questioned Carolina's second half against Seattle and used that as a form of leverage to justify that Arizona was going to win yesterday. I just believe they were playing conservative in the second half against Seattle. Yesterday showed everyone that they know when to put their foot on the throttle. A lot of that contributes to Carson Palmer's meltdown yesterday. The irony in yesterday's game kinda reminded me of 2008 when Jake Delhomme was QB with the Panthers and played similar to how Palmer did yesterday.

Personally I'm split. One the one hand, Peyton was my favorite player for a long time in Indy, and I want to see him get another ring in what is likely his final season.

On the other hand, Cam Newton is pissing off everyone with his antics and I love it. I would love to see the shit fit all the old white sports writers would throw if Cam danced after winning it all.

My heart says Broncos, my brain says Panthers.

Listen, I am one of the biggest Manning fans around, and have been since he got drafted in '98, and his last year and Tennesse before that. I am a pretty big Newton fan as well dating back to before he went to Junior College for a year to get out from behind the bible thumper at Florida. Realistically, though, Denver doesn't have much of a shot. Carolina has a multi-layered and facetted team. If Denver's D can keep them close, they have a puncher's chance. Without TJ Ward and Derian Stewart, Denver might be sunk. They might pull it out, but on paper, it is not close. That is, however, why they play the game.

Carolina winning is a no brainer if you ask me. They have single handedly Brock Lesnar'ed everybody in the NFL this season and playoffs. And like Sly said, how can you not pick Carolina to win, given the season/playoffs they've had?

You want an honest, and genuine opinion on this game?

I'm 100% and beyond for Carolina. I have been since day 1. Through every up, every down, every negative, and every positive. I was there - heartbroken and distraught - in 2003, when a botched kick set-up the New England legacy. (say what you will, but I don't think Brady would've marched the whole field if that kick went straight to the 5 yd line and returned like normal. That's another debate for another time though.)

All season long, I've had to sit back and basically watch as people checked us off. Week after week. Excuse after excuse. Benjamin got hurt in the off-season, and suddenly we were a 5-11 team, AT BEST. No one even accepted we could be better. Everyone pointed instantly to Cam not being a quality QB. His contract was too high for his worth. His "Legion of Whom" WR's couldn't catch a cold. Our starting RB was 3 games into the regular season away from another injury.

Every week was just one more chip. One more knock. One more piece of ignorance to put onto our shoulders and continue forward. Then what happened?

Week 1 - You beat the Jags. Anyone can.
Week 2 - You beat the Texans. They have QB issues.
Week 3 - You barely beat the Saints, without Brees.
Week 4 - You beat a rookie QB, and a bad Tampa team.
bye week - You'll lose when you come back, and face real teams.
Week 6 - So what, you beat Seattle. They aren't the same team they were.
Week 7 - You beat the Eagles, who hasn't.
Week 8 - You should've lost to the Colts, you got lucky.
Week 9 - Big deal, you beat a GB team that's struggling without Nelson.
Week 10 - You have too easy of a schedule, this run is a fluke.
Week 11 - Wait until next week, when Romo returns.
Week 12 - Romo was still hurt, you got lucky again.
Week 13 - You barely escaped Brees.
Week 14 - Everyone beats Atlanta, so what.
Week 15 - You would've lost if OBJ kept his cool.
Week 16 - WE KNEW IT!! WE KNEW IT!!! YOU SUCK!!! WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG...
Week 17 - 15-1 finish, you'll be 1-and-done in the Playoffs. You watch...
Divisional Round - So you beat Seattle. You won't get past Arizona...
Championship Round - Well then...
Superbowl........

The disrespect we get, fires us up. The ignorance everyone has had toward us ALL YEAR until about 2 weeks ago, has fueled us. Now people wanna believe, but yet still say we don't deserve. I can't say what will happen in 2 weeks, but I know we definitely deserve to be here.

It's been one day removed from knowing who the final 2 teams are, and already all I'm reading is - Peyton Manning can go out on top. This can be Manning's swan song. This is it, it couldn't be written any better, the Broncos will win and all will be right. Maybe that's so. They definitely have a team capable of doing it. Their Defense is ranked 1st for a reason. It's the reason they're here. Manning is fresh. That offense can pick it up and go at ANY moment.

But why are so many still forgetting the other team? 17-1.... History is on the line, with becoming the *EDIT* 2nd team *EDIT* to ever go 18-1, and win a Championship. No one wants to count out Manning and Denver.. well, those same people need to realize Carolina still has fire burning.

We have a lot of guys looking for their swan songs, too.

Charles Tillman. Jared Allen. Thomas Davis. Cortland Finnegan. Jerricho Cotchery. Charles Johnson. Greg Olsen... All of these guys are up there. All of them are deserving of a ring. Manning already has one. People just want a so-called "feel-good" story for a guy to walk off into retirement on a high note. Well, I named 3 guys (Tillman, Allen, and Finnegan) who are likely to retire/or already were, and want to walk away on that same high note.

But just like our whole season in a nutshell. Because they aren't the name value that Manning is - they don't get the recognition they deserve, like Manning does. In roughly 5 years, from retirement, Manning will have his sweet send-off. He's all but a guaranteed 1st ballot Hall of Fame QB. In 2 weeks - let Carolina write history. Team history. NFL history.

I have several Broncos fans, and I have a hard time not being selfish. I have a difficult time in saying "Good luck" because the truth is.. I'm greedy. I want to see Carolina win it all. This season has been magical. Ending it without a ring would be horrible. Nothing taken away from Denver - I KNOW they are damn good enough to beat us, and definitely good enough to win. That's why I'm scared. As much as it may be half hearted, I do wish them luck - even though the world should know where my heart is. Because the fact is, this game should be epic.

At the end of the day, in 2 weeks. I'll still be damn proud of Carolina. They deserve far more respect than anyone has given them. If nothing else, that's probably what hurts the most.. to believe even with a win, ignorant people out there will still say they didn't deserve it. Regardless - I'm damn fired up. I'm extremely pumped up. I'm happy. I'm proud. I'm nervous. I'm ready.

One focus. One goal. Win the Superbowl! #KeepPounding.

17-1.... History is on the line, with becoming the ONLY team to ever go 18-1, and win a Championship.

Ahem.

That said, other than you constantly including yourself in the process (you couldn't have had less to do with it) and the overall persecution complex your displaying, I'm still on your side.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Denver won though. Anyone but Brady.

Ahem.

That said, other than you constantly including yourself in the process (you couldn't have had less to do with it) and the overall persecution complex your displaying, I'm still on your side.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Denver won though. Anyone but Brady.

Apologies on including myself over and over. That's how I've always referred to them. I view them as "my" team, afterall.

As for the history reference - I completely apologize for the oversight. For some reason, I thought the Bears went 16-1 (14 game reg. season, with 2 apparent playoff games somehow. lol) Complete oversight.

So the history mark is taken back to only team history - potential First Superbowl Championship.

I do still back the persecution aspect though. You can't say Carolina has been viewed as the best at any point this year, up until about 1 week ago. That all despite having the best record in the NFL.

Never the less - my emotions were fueled while writing, obviously, and my points made. Well, the accurate ones - not the delusional inaccuracies I thought were real, anyways. :lmao:

Bené Benwikere getting hurt kinda hurt the secondary. I'm seeing Luke back in coverage more and more these last couple games. There was luckily so much pressure on Palmer that he couldn't exploit Cortland Finnegan - I understand he was pulled off the couch in December but he got picked on a lot in that Seattle game.

Bené Benwikere getting hurt kinda hurt the secondary. I'm seeing Luke back in coverage more and more these last couple games. There was luckily so much pressure on Palmer that he couldn't exploit Cortland Finnegan - I understand he was pulled off the couch in December but he got picked on a lot in that Seattle game.

I was worried about the loss of Tillman, and Bené as well. It certainly seems that we've done good in the "Next Man Up" strategy. Finnegan was never the guy replacing the opposite starter - he's the slot guy. McClain, the guy New England cut in the preseason, (who we originally drafted way back when) is our newest starter - replacing Tillman.

His first game back was Week 17, when he picked off Winston. He's played decent enough. I am not AS worried now, as I was going into Seattle's match-up. Certainly not saying Denver doesn't have 2 dangerous guys in Sanders and Thomas, but more to the effect that Peyton has relied heavily on his TE's, and that's a key area in which we've been hurt before. (think back to Seattle/Graham in the reg. season) We have been tore up by them, before. Davis and Daniels can be deadly.

My biggest question mark is Thomas Davis. He broke his forearm, and still insists that he's going to play. Even if he does, I can't imagine he'll be able to properly tackle. Every hit to that arm is going to send him into immediate pain. In a weird sense, this is kind of ironic that now would be the time for Shaq Thompson to rise up and show why he was drafted in the 1st round - when everyone felt he was 2nd/3rd round material. He has the speed to cover the TE's, and the ability to hit the back field quickly. He simply needs to work on wrapping up tackles.

I think Denver is going to get the shit kicked out of them in this game. I don't want to count them out completely considering that defense they have but for myself it really comes down to the simple fact I've never seen Manning play well against top defenses in the playoffs, he always seems to come up short when he's playing a defense like Carolina. Much like Seattle 2 years ago, I think Carolina is going to have a field day with the offense, they are going to just pound them into the ground and if Denver can somehow get 15 points offensively against Carolina I'd honestly be surprised. I don't want to shit on Manning here, he's a great QB but the odds are simply not in his favor.

I think the 1st half will be low scoring, something around 10-7 because both defenses are really strong but when the 2nd half rolls around I think Cam and Co. are going to start figuring out how to beat that defense, they're going to start making plays and the longer the game goes on the more and more they are going to run away with it. By the end the Panthers will win by at least 17 points.

Denver's defense stepped up HUGE against the Patriots and straight up won them that game but they'll have to play twice as good to beat the Panthers and I don't think they'll be able to do it. Denver may have the top defense but they'll have a hell of a time containing Cam Newton the entire game as that guy can beat you in so many ways. Carolina isn't the top defense but they're just as good as Denver on the defensive end and I think they'll eat Manning alive, I really do.

Carolina has given me no reason to think they can't win this game so I have to go with them. If they were going to lose it would've been against Seattle.

I do still back the persecution aspect though. You can't say Carolina has been viewed as the best at any point this year, up until about 1 week ago. That all despite having the best record in the NFL.

Actually it would be quite easy. I can guarantee you go on any sports website where they do "Power Rankings" and the like Carolina would be #1 multiple times. I know for a fact they were on the site I generally frequent. Go look back on the weeks and tell me I'm wrong.

I have doubted the Panthers all season long. After Kelvin Benjamin's injury, I said the Saints would win the division, and Carolina would win 5-6 games.
I said Tom Brady or Carson Palmer should be MVP. I said the Seahawks would beat the Panthers, even after they were down 31-0.

Needless to say, the Panthers (especially Cam Newton) have proven me wrong every time. What Cam has been able to do is ridiculous, especially when considering his WR corp is Corey Brown (undrafted sophomore), Devin Funchess (rookie), Ted Ginn (drop-prone), and Jerricho Cotchery (below-average journeyman). The rest of the offense was also great as well as the defense. The team feeds off each other's momentum and energy, and it's just amazing to watch.

The Broncos defense is slightly better, but with the way Peyton Manning has played (just terrible), the Broncos have no chance.

FINAL - Panthers 30, Broncos 10

Actually it would be quite easy. I can guarantee you go on any sports website where they do "Power Rankings" and the like Carolina would be #1 multiple times. I know for a fact they were on the site I generally frequent. Go look back on the weeks and tell me I'm wrong.

[youtube]watch?v=CXpMdGfGetA[/youtube]

You know something that's funny. I agree with you for the most part. They have indeed lead the "Power Rankings" in the NFL, since about Week 9 or so. However leading a rankings board, and being labeled "the best team in the NFL" are two vastly different things. On a side note, how many people actually agree with those leaderboards? Every week throughout the season I seen people complaining about this team being above that team. I said Carolina wasn't being viewed as a legit top team. You argue they are because they're a-top leaderboards. Well, we're both right in our perspective aspects.

The video link, barring the song and all that - the opening video montage is what I'm posting this for. All the media outlets speaking negatively of us. Saying top records don't equal best teams. Claiming everyone we've faced should've beaten us. (Seattle, Arizona) Hell, I'm not arguing those two teams not being damn great - but to say we were underdogs, or didn't stand a chance - that's where I get my chip on my shoulder.

In the end, I'm just happy to see them in the Superbowl. However damn would it be great to cap off this season with one more win. We'll always still have doubters, but 18-1 - Superbowl Champions - it'd be pretty hard to say Carolina didn't earn, or deserve that.

The Broncos defense is slightly better, but with the way Peyton Manning has played (just terrible), the Broncos have no chance.

FINAL - Panthers 30, Broncos 10

I love the idealistic nature of that final score, but I think you're underselling Peyton big time.

I view this game as our biggest challenge to date. You said yourself, Denver has the top defense. Well, Manning is a master at finding holes. Yes, he's had a horrible season - but he's also as fresh as he's ever been in the post-season before. If his WR's would catch, they would be a very dominating team. Those drops aren't on Manning, they're on his guys just randomly not catching - and that's the scary part. What happens when they suddenly do?

For the sake of my heart, and stress - I'd love this to be one-sided in Carolina's favor. Unfortunately, I do see this being a down to the wire game, or a dog fight. Denver isn't about to lay down - and Manning isn't about to make the poor mistakes he has throughout the regular season.

I love the idealistic nature of that final score, but I think you're underselling Peyton big time.

I view this game as our biggest challenge to date. You said yourself, Denver has the top defense. Well, Manning is a master at finding holes. Yes, he's had a horrible season - but he's also as fresh as he's ever been in the post-season before. If his WR's would catch, they would be a very dominating team. Those drops aren't on Manning, they're on his guys just randomly not catching - and that's the scary part. What happens when they suddenly do?

For the sake of my heart, and stress - I'd love this to be one-sided in Carolina's favor. Unfortunately, I do see this being a down to the wire game, or a dog fight. Denver isn't about to lay down - and Manning isn't about to make the poor mistakes he has throughout the regular season.

I just can't forget Super Bowl 48, where Manning lost 43-8.

He also tends to choke in big games and threw more twice as many INT than TD this season.

I wouldn't give Manning no chance, but all the signs point to a blowout.

I loved this game and I've never been more happy to be wrong.

It was my favorite kind of game in that it was pretty close for the entire time.

It was Denver's defense that won them the game so as long as one of them gets MVP I'm even happier.

The biggest surprise for me was Carolina's offense. After their season and playoffs it was like a whole different team tonight and not for the better. I don't know if it was nerves from the big stage or what but I was not expecting them to play that poorly. If not for their defense they would have been slaughtered.

Congratulations Denver you deserve this huge win.

I loved this game and I've never been more happy to be wrong.

It was my favorite kind of game in that it was pretty close for the entire time.

It was Denver's defense that won them the game so as long as one of them gets MVP I'm even happier.

The biggest surprise for me was Carolina's offense. After their season and playoffs it was like a whole different team tonight and not for the better. I don't know if it was nerves from the big stage or what but I was not expecting them to play that poorly. If not for their defense they would have been slaughtered.

Congratulations Denver you deserve this huge win.

I find it more ironic that a lot of people are complaining that the game was boring, and un-entertaining. It has nothing to do with who won or lost, most were just complaining that it was "slow."

Personally, I'm glad we didn't get blown out, and I'm not surprised by how great Denver's defense was. I felt going in that we could have issues from the 3-4 stand point. Carolina seems to never know how to play those styled defenses, and I think a large reason why is because there aren't many NFC teams that run it.

Denver's edge rushers, specifically Von Miller, were tonight's true winners. They got pressure, and constantly made Carolina fail.

I argued with some tonight about the officials, and the fact remains there were some horribly blown calls, and other very badly missed ones. The biggest was the Cotchery non-catch, which on review showed him coming down with it, hand underneath and hitting the ground - and while the tip hit the turf, it was after his hand did. Plus the ball didn't move, which should have been reversed to a catch.

On the very next play - Cam fumbles, into the endzone, and it's recovered for a Denver TD.

Add in random phantom holds, and missed Denver defensive holds, and you have a very bad feel..

None the less, Carolina also didn't look like they showed up. All the mistakes, and errors. I can sit here and blame officials all I want - Carolina was still IN the game, down by 6, and continued to find new ways to fail repeatedly.

A huge key was the Denver INT - in which the player then FUMBLED - only for another Bronco to recover. Had Carolina recovered that ball, I think we would've scored a TD and it would've been a very different game. Those are of course theories that'll remain a mystery.

The final big blunder was the punt return. Carolina hit the player initially, then held up as if to think he called for a fair catch. My biggest complaint here was - YOU ALREADY HIT HIM, if he did fair catch it, the flag is coming anyways.. make sure you drop the fucker. Instead, we had 2-3 guys holding their hands up, while the Bronco took off for half the field and ultimately added to their lead.

In the end, I'm upset Carolina lost. I'm happy for Denver as a whole. I'm already sick of hearing about Peyton Manning.

If there is one thing I'm holding a grudge over, it's ignorant Manning bandwagon fans who ultimately know little to nothing about the man's career, and just jumped on board the "fun storyline train" to see him get a big victory.

Here's a fun note - there were other heart-warming stories in this game. Including a Make-A-Wish cancer kid, who's been an honorary Carolina coach all season - who was flown out so he could watch them. What about Charles Tillman, or Jared Allen? What about the true grit and passion by Thomas Davis, who played with a broken fricken arm.

Manning's happily ever after will truly been in 5+ years, when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. A 2nd Superbowl ring is ultimately weak, except for the "he got to win his final game of his career." Assuming he even retires, which he should after his pathetic performance all year, including tonight.

I'd sound insanely bitter if it weren't for the fact I'm happy for guys like Ware and Miller, to get their rings. Whereas guys like Talib and Manning can ultimately go f' themselves. They didn't win, or deserve shit from tonight's performance. They were along for the ride as far as I'm concerned.

In the end - congrats to the Denver Broncos. They played lights OUT Defense. End of story.

I thought it was a great game. It definitely felt "slow", but that's just how the game flows sometimes. I can't even pinpoint what felt off about Carolina, but it seemed like everything on the offense failed to fire on all cylinders. A big play would be followed by a boneheaded play, or a turnover, or a penalty. And the right side of Carolina's O-Line was just overpowered. And, as obvious as it was, they didn't once try a run to the other side, or put an extra blocker on the line, whether it was Tolbert, or a back-up TE.

I'm happy Peyton gets to go out on top, and know that Carolina will be back in the not-too-distant future.

The game was very exciting and interesting, but also very, very ugly.

Denver's defense was terrific but Carolina missed so many opportunities. Whether it was missed throws by Cam, dropped passes, turnovers ruining what were guaranteed scoring drives, a missed FG, dumb penalties... Carolina was beating themselves as much as Denver was beating them. And Denver's offense was downright atrocious. Peyton's interception was inexcusable and he was lucky he wasn't picked off like 3 or 4 other times. Denver also had a lot dropped passes. Denver's OLine was very good though and CJ Anderson ran hard for them. That's really the only thing I can compliment the offense on.

Honestly neither team looked like they deserved to be there last night. This game will haunt the Panthers and their fans for many years to come. And Denver fans have to know they were lucky to snag this one.

Oh, and the officiating was terrible, but I thought it was equally bad on both sides, not favoring one team over the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back