Super Bowl 50: Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos

I didn't notice the officiating too much (aside from the botch challenge replay), but the game was awful to watch. Defense is fun to watch, but terrible offense is not. There were very few big plays, Denver scored only one offensive touchdown (which came after a fumble deep in Panther territory), Newton completed only 44% of his passes...it was just an awful game to watch.

With that said, I'm glad Manning got his second Superbowl. Now that he played a very pedestrian game and got the win, people can rightfully call him one of the greatest ever (because, as we all know, team accomplishments are the only way to judge the quality of an individual).
Here's a fun note - there were other heart-warming stories in this game. Including a Make-A-Wish cancer kid, who's been an honorary Carolina coach all season - who was flown out so he could watch them. What about Charles Tillman, or Jared Allen? What about the true grit and passion by Thomas Davis, who played with a broken fricken arm.
None of those guys are arguably the greatest player of all time at the most important position in football. None of those guys were playing in their last game (as far as we know).

I understand what you are saying, but Peyton Manning transcends football and he's arguably the greatest QB to ever play. He deserved the attention.

I found the game quite entertaining, but I also played linebacker and Safety....so. Yea.

It felt somewhat disappointing that Manning had in all literal sense the worst game of any SB winning QB ever, and the Panthers mistakes coupled with an all time great defense allowed him to coast to a win. The Broncos offense was brazenly not attempting to score in the entire second half.

The Panthers needed Micheal Jordan to beat the Broncos defense, and Cam Newton gave them Lebron James.

I feel kind of heart broken for the Panthers defense, who played actually pretty fantastic, and got no help at all. Guys played their hearts out, and were extremely effective(Kony Ealy, Luck Kuechly and Thomas Davis, im looking at you), and got nothing for it.

It felt somewhat disappointing that Manning had in all literal sense the worst game of any SB winning QB ever,

I'd argue that Big Ben in Super Bowl 40 had a worse game. 9 for 21 120 yards and two picks. Compared to Manning going 13/23 for 141 and one pick. Still not a good game on Manning's part.

I found the game to be alright. I have certainly seen worse Super Bowls. I'm glad Peyton got a second ring. He was my favorite player while he was in Indy, and with two rings, no matter how mediocre his play in both his wins were, he has a legit argument as the greatest quarterback of all time. I enjoy a good defensive slug fest, and that is what we saw.

Also, here's an interesting thought I bring up due to a "personal" history with one of the Panthers players (which I'll detail at the end of the post...it's not that interesting though).

Both of Denver's touchdowns came as a result of fumbles deep in Panther territory. One fumble was recovered for a TD and another led to an easy TD. In other words, the Panthers defense did not truly give up a touchdown drive. Absent those two touchdowns, the score of the game was virtually tied (10-9). For the sake of the following argument, let's say it is a tie game, absent those two touchdowns.

Here's the stats for two defensive players in the game:

Player 1: 6 tackles (5 solo, 1 assist), 0 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 QB hits
Player 2: 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 assist), 2 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 2 QB hits

Who had the better game? Hard to tell, right? One of those players was the Super Bowl MVP and the other was Kony Ealy. In our hypothetical world where the Carolina offense didn't give the Broncos two free touchdowns, there would be no real way to distinguish who should be the MVP of the game. For those interested, Miller was player 1 and Ealy was player 2.

As for the personal note, I coached basketball against Ealy when he was a freshman. He had transferred to a school for a year and I was the JV coach at the time. I will always remember Ealy for the rebound dunk he had against us, which simply doesn't happen at the JV level in our area of the world. And it wasn't a weak dunk, he two hand slammed home the dunk as soon as the ball came off the rim. It was the most impressive athletic feats I've ever seen from a freshman in high school in person. And while I was always under the impression Ealy was a bit spoiled, it's good to see a kid I coached against and a former Mizzou player do so well.

Yea, Kony Ealy had one of the most insane stat lines for a defensive player ever in an SB. As I said in my first post, its a shame he got no help from the offense.

Both of Denver's touchdowns came as a result of fumbles deep in Panther territory. One fumble was recovered for a TD and another led to an easy TD. In other words, the Panthers defense did not truly give up a touchdown drive. Absent those two touchdowns, the score of the game was virtually tied (10-9). For the sake of the following argument, let's say it is a tie game, absent those two touchdowns.

Lets not forget the hilarious punt return fuck up by the Panthers too. Without the Panthers shenanigans, its 10-9 Panthers. Cam giveth, Cam taketh away. Or Von Miller. Von Miller taketh away.

Reactions: NSL
I find it more ironic that a lot of people are complaining that the game was boring, and un-entertaining. It has nothing to do with who won or lost, most were just complaining that it was "slow.".

In other words, they're bored by defensive battles. In baseball, they like home runs over skilled pitching and great play in the field.....in wrestling, they find technical matches to be tedious but like formulaic finishing routines that get the match over with quickly. It's no wonder they have patience only for exciting offensive battles in football.

I enjoyed the closeness of this game and the contrast between the young, athletic QB and the veteran QB who was likely getting his last shot at the ring. That in itself was a show, especially when the respective defenses essentially made both of them negative factors......in other words, Peyton did less to make his team lose.

I'm glad Manning got his last Super Bowl win. Cam Newton will be back up there, provided he can maintain his astonishing luck in avoiding injury as a 'rushing' QB. Ask RG III.

I hate to say I told y'all so, but.......

I knew that this game was going to come down to who's defense was better. Everybody was talking about how Cam was better and younger than Manning, but that didn't matter and it was never going to matter with that defense.

I'm glad Manning got his last ring though. I hope he retires now and rides off into the sun set.

No you don't otherwise you wouldn't have said it. You just want to point out to everyone your one of the few that said the Broncos would win.
I knew that this game was going to come down to who's defense was better. Everybody was talking about how Cam was better and younger than Manning, but that didn't matter and it was never going to matter with that defense.
It most certainly does matter. Had Carolina's offense played like they had all season we'd have a different championship team I guarantee it.
I'm glad Manning got his last ring though. I hope he retires now and rides off into the sun set.
This I agree with. It's always good to see one of the best go out on top. Especially because he's one of my personal favorites.

Personally I thought Carolina was going to win but realistically it was never going to come down to Cam vs. Peyton just given how good both defenses are. I'll be honest I thought Cam and Co. would start making things happen by the end of the 2nd-beginning of the 3rd and would win because I didn't see Denver's offense doing anything to contend it but luckily for Denver's offense they really didn't have to do anything outside of protecting the ball which they did reasonably well.

The part that really surprised me last night was I thought Carolina had more fight in them then they ultimately showed. To me at least it looked like after they couldn't make those 2 long drives count in the 3rd they threw in the towel and called it a day even though the game was far from over. It was like the missed field goal down and the turnover deep in Denver's zone really just took all the air out of that team and from there that offense looked like it really didn't want to be there anymore.

Even though Carolina lost the only thing that I didn't see happening was that, I never thought Cam was that fragile mentally.

Yea, Kony Ealy had one of the most insane stat lines for a defensive player ever in an SB. As I said in my first post, its a shame he got no help from the offense.

When it became obvious who was winning, I held out a sliver of hope that he'd get some recognition as MVP. Without it, this stat line is most likely going to be forgotten in the annals of history, and that's just not right. I've watched a lot of Super Bowls, and I don't remember a player on either side of the ball just outright jumping off the stat sheet like that.

I can't even pinpoint what felt off about Carolina, but it seemed like everything on the offense failed to fire on all cylinders. A big play would be followed by a boneheaded play, or a turnover, or a penalty. And the right side of Carolina's O-Line was just overpowered.

I'm happy Peyton gets to go out on top, and know that Carolina will be back in the not-too-distant future.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Carolina's flaws shined brightest under the biggest lights. Our OL was beat throughout, and struggled to contain any pressure put against them - which was uncharacteristic considering the magic of the season. Yet against the 3-4, they looked lost. Give credit to Von Miller for his skills, but Remmers was no match for him, and for whatever reason, Carolina didn't seem to care in adding an additional blocker on that side. It felt odd, and truly needs questioned on why.

Over throws by Cam. Missed catches by WR's. No running lanes and poor play calling. As you said, the seldom seen big plays followed directly by a blunder and likely turnover. (Cam had a huge run, getting us inside the 30 - followed instantly by Tolbert fumbling for the 2nd time in the game.)

One thing not being considered are the missed officiating calls. The non-catch which had it been corrected, would've put us across mid-field, and likely marching to something. Either way - it wouldn't likely had resulted in a fumble into the endzone as it did. The missed offsides on the missed FG, that resulted in Denver getting the ball and getting their own FG on the comeback.

Those two things were huge to me. You take away that early Defensive TD, and the game is 7-6, Carolina, at the half. You give us at the very least a re-try on the missed offsides FG miss, and you have a 10-9 ball game going into the 4th. Add on the extra FG Carolina would later get, and it's 13-9 midway through the final quarter. Carolina recognizes Denver's offense isn't doing anything and Carolina just plays run calls, 3-and-outs, and field position.

That would've eliminated the late fumble and subsequent 2nd TD by Denver to seal the game. Carolina arguably could've won 13-9, with a couple more Manning mistakes if he was forced to throw more under pressure. But - it's all theories and hypothetical now.

Peyton Manning transcends football and he's arguably the greatest QB to ever play. He deserved the attention.

Rightfully so. Taking nothing away from one of the greatest to ever play, and he would've gotten his just due.. in 5+ years, after retirement, during his Hall of Fame induction.

The Panthers needed Micheal Jordan to beat the Broncos defense, and Cam Newton gave them Lebron James.

This is quite honestly the best way to sum up everything.

Cam Newton is the "new breed" of QB/Athlete, and a lot of people can't accept that. They can't accept his personality. Same with Lebron. In the end, Cam needs to find a way to better showcase his true talent, and much like Lebron in Championship games - he couldn't get it done.

Pressure? Nerves? I do think they played a factor, but I doubt it'll ever been said.

Absent those two touchdowns, the score of the game was virtually tied (10-9). For the sake of the following argument, let's say it is a tie game, absent those two touchdowns.

Here's the stats for two defensive players in the game:

Von Miller: 6 tackles (5 solo, 1 assist), 0 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 QB hits
Kony Ealy 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 assist), 2 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 2 QB hits

Who had the better game? Hard to tell, right?

I guess what I'm confused on is where you're going here. The Superbowl logically can't ever end in a tie. Had Carolina won, no question Ealy would've been named MVP - unless the final drive of a 16-10 game was capped by a Cam score, ultimately winning the game - then the QB gets all the glory, despite not having better numbers, but the deciding score.

Either way - Von Miller deserved the MVP. Hell, if it's ever possible - the whole Defense truly deserved credit. To hold the highest scoring offense to a season low 10 points, and force them into season high's in sacks, turnovers, and mistakes - yeah, credit goes where it should.

On the flip side, I'm proud to see Ealy finally coming out. He has been a question mark pretty much the past 3 seasons, and Carolina was feeling pretty close to pulling a trigger on him. (Hence the Jared Allen signing, when Johnson was hurt, then Johnson/Allen starting when both were healthy.) I think this game helped Ealy to find a true place on that Defensive front 4. A moral victory, if nothing else, for us.

Cam Newton will be back up there, provided he can maintain his astonishing luck in avoiding injury as a 'rushing' QB. Ask RG III.

The general difference here is Cam isn't a buck fifty, soaking wet. RG3 is made of glass it seems, and he takes unneeded hits. Cam gets down every time he truly sees a hit coming, unless he KNOWS he must get the yards. Cam does well enough to protect himself, and the only time I ever see him take unneeded hits would be when he's being Cam and 'Superman'ing' himself into the endzone.

Either way, I have to trust Cam to know how much is enough for him to take.

Who is everybody? I didn't once see anyone talking up young v. old. At most, I seen a lot of hype around Manning getting his last big bang, and going out on top. I seen stuff on Cam being the bad guy in spoiling that. Not once did I see people saying this was old v. young, or anything about Cam being better. No one in their right mind would be saying that shit.

Personally I thought Carolina was going to win but realistically it was never going to come down to Cam vs. Peyton just given how good both defenses are.

No game ever comes down to QB v. QB, by the shear logic of it. Media hypes that stuff all the time, but it's never EVER going to happen that way.

Cam v. Denver's Defense.
Peyton v. Carolina's Defense.

Maybe even, Cam v. Von Miller and Peyton v. Luke Kuechly. That's about it.

I'll be honest I thought Cam and Co. would start making things happen by the end of the 2nd-beginning of the 3rd and would win because I didn't see Denver's offense doing anything to contend it but luckily for Denver's offense they really didn't have to do anything outside of protecting the ball which they did reasonably well.

Carolina has had a season history of coming back like that, and I hoped for it as well. When the 4th Quarter was 16-10, and Carolina had 2 different opportunities I figured we'd succeed on one. Just wasn't meant to be.

The part that really surprised me last night was I thought Carolina had more fight in them then they ultimately showed. To me at least it looked like after they couldn't make those 2 long drives count in the 3rd they threw in the towel and called it a day even though the game was far from over.

Even though Carolina lost the only thing that I didn't see happening was that, I never thought Cam was that fragile mentally.

It felt a lot like the 49ers playoff game about 3 years ago. Every time we touched the ball, we'd come JUST shy of actually doing something - then the other team would inch just a bit further away.

I don't think Carolina broke, I think they just ran out of gas. You need to factor in (with the exception of like 3 players), the majority of Carolina had never been to the big game. Most of those guys were also young. Nerves, inexperience, and just down right captivating from the whole overall atmosphere - it possibly ate them up.

Cam didn't break mentally, either. He was harassed all night. He had next to no time, and Cam did what Cam does in those situations - he puts the team on his shoulders and thinks he must do it all. In every typical situation from that stand point, it's never worked in his favor and he turns the ball over.

He fumbled twice on blind side hits, from Miller, from Remmers giving up the edge. Cam can't take blame for those things, he barely dropped back and got set before his hand was being smacked. The INT was tipped and floated into the defender's hands. Not Cam's fault, either.

Much like the media, it's easy to place blame on him because he's the face of the franchise. Who cares if you blame an OLineman? Who gives a shit if you label an "unnamed WR" for tipped, or dropped passes? Our FB fumbled twice.. it won't be as big a headline as "FRANCHISE QB FAILS."

Cam didn't break. He just couldn't carry everything against that Defense.

One final note: Several Broncos were claiming they didn't see a single thing different from the tapes they reviewed. If that's the case, then some serious questions need to be pointed at Shula and his gameplan. If we honest to God went into the biggest game of the year, and didn't even have a single new play to attempt pulling (besides that BS Ginn trick crap, that failed), then I'm going to say that was a huge blunder on Carolina's behalf.

When it became obvious who was winning, I held out a sliver of hope that he'd get some recognition as MVP.

I'm not sure if a member of the losing team can win the Superbowl MVP. I don't think it's possible.

I'm happy Peyton gets to go out on top
I'm glad Manning got his second Superbowl.
I'm glad Manning got his last Super Bowl win.

This is what truly bugs me the most about the game. This is exactly how it felt "scripted." Hollywood couldn't write a better ending. That's why I'm a "bitter fan," calling foul on some of the no-calls, or blind misses. The media truly did get what they built this game up for all along - the old man, winning and finishing on top.

Last time I checked, Peyton Manning didn't "win the Superbowl." The Denver Broncos won the Superbowl. Yes, yes, he gets his ring and he gets a happily ever after as it were - but seriously? What's the purpose other than the heart felt happy ending?

Favre, Elway, Marino, Young - none of them went out "on top." Each of them tried sticking around longer than they should have. So of course Manning is likely to retire. He'd be naive not to with how poor he's played the past year and a half. (going back to last season's end.)

I'm sorry, I just can't give respect to this, because it truly devalues the idea of a "team sport." If Carolina won, it wouldn't be Cam's victory. It'd be Carolina's. Denver won.. not Peyton, not solely anyways. Hell, in fact, it's arguable that out of everyone on that team - he did the most to attempt costing his team.

I guess what I'm confused on is where you're going here. The Superbowl logically can't ever end in a tie.
Obviously it cannot.
Had Carolina won, no question Ealy would've been named MVP
And think about how stupid that is.

Kony Ealy was the game MVP, if not for the offense making mistakes. That's just stupid. I've always hated the MVP having to be from the winning team, it completely cheapens an individual award by tying it to team performance. It's the same point I've been making for a long time now.

Either way - Von Miller deserved the MVP.
They both deserved it, but Ealy didn't get it because the offense could not hold onto the ball. In other words, Ealy didn't get the MVP for reasons which had nothing to do with him.

And this isn't about Kony Ealy, it's about the absurdity of how MVPs are awarded.

This is what truly bugs me the most about the game. This is exactly how it felt "scripted." Hollywood couldn't write a better ending. That's why I'm a "bitter fan," calling foul on some of the no-calls, or blind misses. The media truly did get what they built this game up for all along - the old man, winning and finishing on top.

Last time I checked, Peyton Manning didn't "win the Superbowl." The Denver Broncos won the Superbowl. Yes, yes, he gets his ring and he gets a happily ever after as it were - but seriously? What's the purpose other than the heart felt happy ending?

Favre, Elway, Marino, Young - none of them went out "on top." Each of them tried sticking around longer than they should have. So of course Manning is likely to retire. He'd be naive not to with how poor he's played the past year and a half. (going back to last season's end.)

I'm sorry, I just can't give respect to this, because it truly devalues the idea of a "team sport." If Carolina won, it wouldn't be Cam's victory. It'd be Carolina's. Denver won.. not Peyton, not solely anyways. Hell, in fact, it's arguable that out of everyone on that team - he did the most to attempt costing his team.
Umm, I think you've completely missed the point. No one is saying that only Peyton won, merely that Peyton won. Peyton winning doesn't change the fact Miller won and Thomas won, etc. It just so happens Peyton is arguably the greatest QB of all time, so he'll get the most attention. Rightfully so.

Favre, Elway, Marino, Young - none of them went out "on top." Each of them tried sticking around longer than they should have.

Might want to check your facts on that one...

If Carolina won, it wouldn't be Cam's victory. It'd be Carolina's.

Because I'm sure they would never mention that it's "Cam's first Super Bowl win." The QB is almost always the face of a team. They generally take the biggest hit when they lose and get the most credit when they win. The 2nd part wouldn't even be true for Manning because he openly admitted he couldn't help his team like he used to. It still doesn't change the fact that he's captain. If you can't get past this, you should stop watching sports. Because some day Cam Newton is going to get credit from the media directed strictly at him that he either won or lost a game. I guarantee it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back