Predict the 2015-2016 NFL Playoffs

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
Now that we have all the seedings locked in and the schedule ready, it is time to see how good we are at predicting how things will go. Some of us made some predictions in the thread below. I wasn't too bad...I was a tad off too.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=296651

Anyway, it is much easier to predict how things will go at this time of the year than it is back in August. Even then though there's always some surprises in the playoffs.

Here are the seedings for you to work with.

AFC

1. Denver Broncos
2. New England Patriots
3. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Houston Texans
5. Kansas City Chiefs
6. Pittsburgh Steelers

NFC

1. Carolina Panthers
2. Arizona Cardinals
3. Minnesota Vikings
4. Washington Redskins
5. Green Bay Packers
6. Seattle Seahawks

Well first of all if someone told me that was going to be the top 4 seeds of the NFC, I would have laughed in their face. I mean Arizona and Carolina I knew were tough, but I saw Arizona as a wildcard under Seattle, and Carolina as a 3rd or 4th seed again. Then Minnesota winning the division? And the NFC East being so bad that the Washington Redskins win it? At least everyone in this year's playoffs are above .500

Anyway I'm going to start with the wild card round first. Also, please don't take my predictions seriously. These are just for fun, and I'm not expert. And the score predictions are just something I pull off the top of my head, so don't go picking them apart and analyzing them because you'd be wasting your own time.

Wild Card

Chiefs at Texans
Winner: Chiefs, 24-9.

I have no idea how the Texans won the division, but they did. Good defense, not a lot of offense whatsoever. Chiefs are just as weak but they at least are and have been a playoff caliber team.

Steelers at Bengals
Winner: Steelers, 34-21

Steelers have been a little weaker on the road, but that's against bad opponents. This is against someone they've seen twice already this year, and already beat in Cincinnati. This offense is potent. And it's going to be against a team who hasn't won a playoff game in 200 years. Against either a backup QB, or a QB who is already pretty bad but is coming off an injury to his throwing hand thumb.

Seahawks at Vikings
Winner: Seahawks, 38-14.

Do I even have to give a reason for why the Seahawks are winning this game? Eh I guess so I mean the Vikings did beat out Green Bay for the division, so who knows what will happen. But I'm giving this one to Seattle.

Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins
Winner: Green Bay, 42-13.

Green Bay lost the division, but they get the easier game. If the Redskins win this game I will cut off one of my fingers.

Divisional Round

Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos
Winner: Pittsburgh Steelers, 28-25.

Steelers already know how to beat this team, and I don't think the Broncos coaching staff will be able to adjust just like they weren't able to adjust in the second half of that first game. It's in Denver now so it gets a little tougher, but since losing to the Steelers the Broncos have been sliding on thin ice. They almost lost to Cincy, and then almost lost to San Diego this week. Losing both of those games would have kicked them out of the playoffs entirely, but instead they somehow swing to the first seed. I like Osweiler, but I don't think he is ready to take Denver to the promise land. However, Pittsburgh vs Cincy is going to be a bloodbath like always and a lot of guys are going to get roughed up, so we'll see what goes down.

Kansas City Chiefs at New England Patriots
Winner: New England Patriots, 40-13.

New England lost the last two games of the season, to division rivals who were playing like it was the Super Bowl against them. But Kansas City just isn't going to be able to do that, and this New England team has a lot of prove after losing those two games. This one might get ugly.

Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers
Winner: Seattle Seahawks, 21-17.

I've been saying the Panthers will be one and done for the last month. They are going to lose this divisional round game unless Minnesota upsets Seattle. In which case they'll lose next week. But I have Seattle beating the Vikings, which means they will face Carolina and they will get the win.

Green Bay Packers at Arizona Cardinals
Winner: Arizona Cardinals, 28-27.

This one was tough. I really thought Green Bay was a Super Bowl winning team this year, but they just haven't shown it. They're a team though like the Steelers that can get hot in the playoffs no matter where they are and be unbeatable, they did it back in 2010-2011. So which Green Bay and Arizona teams are we going to see? I'm giving this one to Arizona.

Conference Round

Seattle Seahawks at Arizona Cardinals
Winner: Seattle Seahawks, 31-24.

They split on the year, so this one is the tie breaker, and boy is it an important tiebreaker. But I'm giving it to Seattle. They just pounded Arizona on their home turf, why wouldn't they win this game?

Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots
Winner: Patriots, 34-31.

As much as I hate writing this, I have to. The Steelers going into New England and winning against that team is just going to be too tough with how beat up they are right now. With Ben, Bell, Brown, and Bryant all together I pick the Steelers. But I'm sure Belichick will have some dirty tricks one way or another, and the Patriots will disgustingly move on to their second straight Super Bowl.

Super Bowl 50

Seattle Seahawks vs New England Patriots, II

Winner: Seattle Seahawks, 29-21.

Yes, a Super Bowl 49 rematch. Except this time the Seahawks run the ball, and the Patriots are unable to get Tom that 5th Super Bowl ring and I don't have to throw up my intestines and never watch football again. Everyone is a happy camper...except the Patriots, and all the teams that didn't win.

I'm personally rooting for a Pittsburgh/Arizona Super Bowl with Pittsburgh on top, but I tried to be as unbias as possible with my predictions. Hopefully one of my scenarios works out. If not Pittsburgh, anyone but Denver or New England plz

In the AFC, I can't help but think the Wild Cards both win pretty easily in the first round...unless Andy Dalton is healthy. That could throw a wrench into everything. I'm actually going to predict this, as if he is, because this is Week 4 of a 4-6 week injury, and it's the motherfucking playoffs. He should play, even if he's 80%m and that's still better than AJ McCarron.

If Dalton is healthy (and I am assuming he will play, healthy or not), then I'd go with the Bengals and Chiefs winning this weekend. That makes it Cincinatti and New England in the 2nd round, and Kansas City against Denver. The Chiefs' loss to Denver was early in the season, when they were really bad, and then they beat them towards the start of this run. That, combined with Denver's uncertainty at QB, makes me think KC can pull off the upset, and move to the championship game. New England should pretty easily beat Cincinatti.

New England versus Kansas City would be a hell of a game, I think, but I'm not sure if KC has enough to topple the Patriots, and, trust me, it pains me to say the Patriots will be in the Super Bowl again.

The NFC is a lot more interesting, I think. Washington and Green Bay should be a game that no one needs to watch, because we all know the Packers are going to win, but who knows what Green Bay team is going to show up. Things have been bad lately, and I think it stays that way, with Washington pulling off the "upset" at home. Minnesota and Seattle is an intriguing game, because the Seahawks trounced the Vikes earlier in the season, and it was in Minnesota, and it wasn't that long ago, but the Vikings are such a good young team. I'd love to see Minnesota win, because fuck Seattle, but I don't think they do it. Washington and Arizona is probably going to be a one-sided affair. The 'Skins got beaten badly by Carolina, who I don't think is as good as this Cardinals team, despite their record. Seattle was beaten at home by Carolina, and this game is in Charlotte, and the Seahawks are without Lynch or Rawls, so I think Carolina can win this without much struggle.

Carolina and Arizona is the matchup everyone wants to see in the NFC, and it will finally end the argument of which team is better. While I think Arizona is the better team, and they have been great for 2 seasons, I believe Carolina pulls off the win at home. Cam is on another level right now, and the defense has been making plays all season. This is going to be a hell of a game either way.

A Super Bowl meeting of the Patriots and Panthers would actually be highly entertaining, and for the same reasons that I think Carolina will beat Arizona, I will pick them here. Also, I'm extremely biased. Fuck the hoodie. Fuck New England. Go Panthers.

Recap:

Cincinnati over Pittsburgh 28-24
Kansas City over Houston 31-13
Washington over Green Bay 23-20
Seattle over Minnesota 33-26

New England over Cincinnati 38-20
Kansas City over Denver 19-14
Arizona over Washington 34-9
Carolina over Seattle 28-16

New England over Kansas City 30-20
Carolina over Arizona 21-17

Carolina over New England 24-23

I'll start with the NFC:

#6 Seattle @ #3 Minnesota

I think too much is being made of Seattle's "playoff experience". I've seen many seasoned playoff teams on their last leg get put down by the rising newcomers. Seattle has a great opportunity to win this game but are far from a lock. Their last road playoff win came vs. the Redskins in the infamous RGKnee game. Before that, they haven't won a road playoff game since 1983.

They have however, trounced the Vikings in Minnesota this season. They beat them 38-7 in a game that Minnesota lost 4 starters on defense before or early in the game. It looks like Barr, Harrison, Joseph, and Sendejo have all returned to health. Having your two starting safeties makes a big difference vs. the Seahawks because they love to pick on the Safeties. In that game the Vikings rushed Adrian Peterson just 8 times for 18 yards. I expect this game to be much closer. I would not be surprised at all if the Vikings won it. But the safe assumption is Seattle wins out with superior talent on defense and a great playoff offense.

#5 Green Bay @ #4 Washington

This is one of those games you just look at the franchises and say Green Bay without hesitation. But when you look more closely at this Green Bay team in the 2015 regular season. It's surprising they've won 10 games. They don't score very well. They play good defense but not good enough. They can't sustain drives. They can't run the ball. To their credit, 4 of their 6 losses are to playoff teams. They have early season wins over the Seahawks and Chiefs along with a mid season win over the Vikings. Aaron Rodgers is capable of getting hot but this team has't managed to score 14 pts in their last two games. Their best shot at victory is a ferocious defensive performance in which Kirk Cousins turns the ball over multiple times.

The Redskins have the home field advantage with an NFC EAST best 9-7 record. Kirk Cousins is 6-2 at home this year. They are feeling hot having won 4 straight including 3 on the road. Outside of the NFC East they have no impressive wins to boast. Cousins has had a phenomenal statistical season with over 4,000 passing yards and 29 passing touchdowns. Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 46 times this year to Cousin's 26. I would lean towards the Redskins in this match up. I would even say the Packers would have to get lucky to beat them. All of the positive energy is in Washington for a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in 4 seasons and hasn't won a playoff game in 10.

Panthers Outlook

To me It's a no brainer. Theywant the Vikings and Redskins to win. The Redskins present the least dangerous threat to them. They are capable of defending what they do on offense and moving the ball on their defense. Seattle plays a brand of football that would ensure a physical and entertaining game but they also have the talent and experience to beat Carolina. I've seen them pick apart Carolina's depleted secondary before. With the Packers you have a volatile team that is capable of creating turnovers. Carolina's defense does struggle with improvisation from the QB and no one is better at it than Aaron Rodgers. With Carolina's injuries in the secondary the best QB match up for them is without a doubt Kirk Cousins.

Cardinals Outlook

The best news for the Cardinals this week is they will not see the Seahawks for at least three weeks. The Cardinals will be happy to face the winner of the 4/5 game. They played the Packers very well in week 16 and the Redskins are inferior in every way. Minnesota played very well at Arizona in week 14. They held stout on both sides of the line and were ultimately undone by three lost fumbles. Teddy Bridgewater threw for over 330 yards and a touchdown but ultimately came up short 23-20. The Vikings are absolutely the team they want to avoid although they would be heavily favored against any of these potential opponents.

NFC Championship Outlook

The favorites are clear. Carolina and Arizona are the two most impressive teams in the NFL not just the NFC. The Panthers have multiple injury concerns from Jonathan Stewart, to Charles Tillman, Kurt Coleman, and Ted Ginn. The Cardinals have notable injuries to Running Back Chris Johnson and Safety Tyrann Mathieu. One interesting nugget: former Panther Carrington Byndom is currently on the Cardinals practice squad. If the Panthers ultimately send Tillman to IR, do they take a look at him? Seattle absolutely has a chance of crashing this party and even making it to the Super Bowl. But the favorites are clear. Carolina vs. Arizona. Championship weekend is three weeks away and injuries could drastically change the odds. Right now you would have to lean Panthers with the home field advantage and MVP Cam Newton running the show.

AFC:

I have no idea why but I have a huge feeling Houston beat Kansas City hey. Maybe it's the defense that keeps the Chiefs locked up or it's the fact that Kansas has to lose eventually but I just can't get over this feeling. They have played unreal to get 10 wins in a row especially considering they lost Charles right around when they started rolling but the Texans also aren't the same team from the first half of the season. They were getting killed defensively then but have picked it up and that is why they are in the position they are in (lets just forget about the weak division).

I like Bengals to beat the Steelers if Dalton is almost 100%. Will be a good game but Bengals have looked more consistent to me all year so I will take them. Won't be surprised if Steelers win but my tips is Bengals.

That would leave Broncos vs Texans and Patriots vs Bengals for me in which I see Bronco's winning quite easily and the Patriots win. Leaving a championship game of Broncos vs Patriots. I think Patriots go and defend their crown in what could be the last of Peyton vs Brady, even if it is for a quarter or two.

It does seem though that the Patriots get at least 2 or 3 injuries a game so anything could change. However I do like the matchups they get in Bengals and Bronco's if my tips are correct. So Patriots out of the AFC for me

NFC:

I've been expecting the Packers to just be the normal Packers all year long even though I know it wont happen. Even still I like the Packers to beat the Redskins in the wildcard game. Redskins don't impress me at all and I could hardly back them to beat the Packers when I still think that they are the weakest link out of the East. Cowboys healthy would beat them. Philly with a puppy coaching would beat them and Giants are the Giants so can't say much about that matchup. So Packers win this game for me.

Seattle against Minny is an interesting matchup for me. I expect a Seattle win but Minny will put up a fight and who knows, maybe they get enough FG's to be up late in the game to put the pressure on the Hawks. Really looking forward to this game.

That leaves the NFC with a Cardinals vs Seattle and Packers vs Panthers matchup. I like the Cardinals against the Hawks for a couple of reasons. I expect Seattle to look a bit weaker during playoffs. Wilson has just straight up murdered kids the last 6 or 7 weeks but will that continue to happen with the pressure in the playoffs. I'm not so sure. Should be a shoot out and I expect Cardinals to reclaim their homeground. Panthers and Packers will be a good game as well but it's the Panthers year for me. Newton will just keep converting those 3rd and longs and pile on the points. Carolina on a mission this year I feel. Carolina vs Arizona in the championship game has me drooling. I expect Carolina to have their backs against the wall at some point in the game and be down by maybe 2 TD's only to come back and win by a field goal or something like that or maybe Cam just keeps on keeping on.

Carolina vs Patriots superbowl for me with Carolina coming out on top. Hopefully there isn't any major injuries for any team during the playoffs.

In summary:

AFC

Texans beat Chiefs
Bengals beat Steelers
Broncos beat Texans
Patriots beat Bengals
Patriots beat Broncos

NFC

Packers beat Red Skins
Seattle beats Vikings
Panthers beat Packers
Cardinals beat Seahawks