Speculation On WWE Bringing Back Retired Championship

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
There's been some speculation among some fans that WWE might be bringing back the WWE European Championship, which was retired back in 2002, with Rusev as its first champion.

A major cause for the speculation is a photo posted on Instagram by Lana within the past few days, though the photo was quickly deleted, posted with a #Raw hashtag. http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...ana-and-rusev-possibly-bringing-back-the-wwe/

As you can see, the photo shows the center plate of the European Championship with the updated WWE logo. Of course, it's possible that the logo was photoshopped and that this was done to purposely create a buzz just for the sake of it.

I think it could be absolutely brilliant to see Rusev change the US Title to the European Title, and feud with it that way, while still squashing every midcarder that comes his way. In fact, that's quite a brilliant way to keep booking the "Evil Foreigner" in a new interesting way.

But why would he change it to an old title that was most associated with England? If the purpose was to gain heat would he not change it to the Russian title? That would see to make more sense to me. Maybe it would even cause veterans Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Sgt Slaughter out to challenge this guy. Defeating these beloved long standing patriots after defacing the U.S. title (nearly as bad as defacing the flag) would generate a lot of heat for this guy.

Rusev isn't a Russian, nor is he booked to BE a Russian. He's Bulgarian, a member of the European Union, and he's booked as pro-Soviet/pro-Putin/pro-Russia, but Bulgarian, not Russian. The European Title already has massive history, and it could easily be used in any of their European tour nations. Using a historic title is better than creating one out of thin air.

As cool as it would be to see the European Championship return, I don't really see what good it would do for anyone holding it after Rusev. They can't even make the US and Intercontinental Championships matter. Heck, we don't even have a World Heavyweight Champion until Lesnar comes back. They need to make the belts already active matter before bringing back an old one. Who would feud for it? The same guys who chase after the US Championship? I'd like to see it come back but not if it's just going to get devalued and not be booked properly. I wouldn't want to see it replace the US Championship either. Work on rebuilding the prestige of the belt you already have. The US Champiopnship has plenty of history while the European Championship has been gone for several years.

Rusev isn't a Russian, nor is he booked to BE a Russian. He's Bulgarian, a member of the European Union, and he's booked as pro-Soviet/pro-Putin/pro-Russia, but Bulgarian, not Russian.

Rusev's WWE superstars page states that he is from Russia http://www.wwe.com/superstars/rusev ; he is billed as "now residing in Russia" during his ring entrance, his manager keeps talking about Mother Russia, he carries the Russian flag to the ring every night. He is more Russian than he is European/Bulgarian right now.

The European Title already has massive history, and it could easily be used in any of their European tour nations. Using a historic title is better than creating one out of thin air.

I'm inclined to believe that the European championship will just be another meaningless championship that no one will care about, once the initial buzz wears off. Even the US championship is more interesting because a foreigner is holding it and no American can win it back from him. However, a customized Russian championship for Rusev would be the ultimate form of insult and would take Rusev to an even higher level as a bad man. America has more beef with Russia than with Bulgaria or EU, and fans would be hoping someone beats Rusev and wins the title back from the Russian invader, every time he shows up. The wrestler that finally wins it from him can restore it back to the United States championship, which will make the title and the wrestler all the more awaited and historic.

I think its a good idea, Keep the world title as a special attraction which will make the champion and number one contender seem more important and keep the lesser belts for the live shows and weekly TV, Theres enough europeans in the WWE to make it worthwhile and can make the defences a big deal when the WWE comes over to europe.

If it's to replace a title then I would be ok with it, if it's going to end up another belt that just gets passed around and then forgotten about then there is no point.

Uhh... don't those idiots in WWE know that Russia isn't apart of Europe? Like, why bring back the European Title specifically for Rusev? It makes zero sense. Bad News Barrett, it would make a whole lot of sense for, but Rusev? No.

I thought as soon as Rusev won the US Title he should have Lance Storm'd that belt up. And I still think it could work, but bringing back the European Title specifically for him just seems so nonsensical.

Uhh... don't those idiots in WWE know that Russia isn't apart of Europe? Like, why bring back the European Title specifically for Rusev? It makes zero sense. Bad News Barrett, it would make a whole lot of sense for, but Rusev? No.

I thought as soon as Rusev won the US Title he should have Lance Storm'd that belt up. And I still think it could work, but bringing back the European Title specifically for him just seems so nonsensical.

Russia is part of Europe? Who were the idiots in WWE that you refer to?

This can be proven very brilliant. Having some very talented superstars in the roster,this title will give them an opportunity to prove themselves. Guys like Cesaro,BNB,Sheamus who do not do anything this time can become action members of the roster wanting to capture the gold. Therefore,every storyline will have America vs Europe and this becomes a little boring.

If they have Rusev pull a Madusa and throw the US title in the trash on Raw and replace it with the European title it could certainly garner him more heat. I only see it being a short term deal though as whoever the anointed American hero is will beat him at Wrestlemania to a huge pop and bring back the US title the next night on Raw.

Uhh... don't those idiots in WWE know that Russia isn't apart of Europe?

Uhh... Russia is a part of Europe and also asia. Just because it's not a part of the EU which also applies to countries like Switzerland and Norway doesn't change it's geographical location. So I guess WWE aren't such big idiots after all.

Uhh... Russia is a part of Europe and also asia. Just because it's not a part of the EU which also applies to countries like Switzerland and Norway doesn't change it's geographical location. So I guess WWE aren't such big idiots after all.

I get "Eurasia" and all of that; I should have worded that better. I came across as an idiot on that myself.

But I just don't look at Russia as a European country, nor do I think most people do (honestly I've always thought Russia should be a continent of its own, like Australia).

If they were to do this idea, a guy like Bad News Barrett makes more sense than Rusev. Have Barrett return with some bad news for everyone and say that he's bringing back the "prestigious" European Championship. That works.

Rusev and Lana, on the other hand, it would make more sense for them to just "Lance Storm" the belt up and make it a Russian Title like how Lance Storm made the US Title a Canadian Title when he held it in WCW.

I get "Eurasia" and all of that; I should have worded that better. I came across as an idiot on that myself.

But I just don't look at Russia as a European country, nor do I think most people do (honestly I've always thought Russia should be a continent of its own, like Australia).

If they were to do this idea, a guy like Bad News Barrett makes more sense than Rusev. Have Barrett return with some bad news for everyone and say that he's bringing back the "prestigious" European Championship. That works.

Rusev and Lana, on the other hand, it would make more sense for them to just "Lance Storm" the belt up and make it a Russian Title like how Lance Storm made the US Title a Canadian Title when he held it in WCW.

Don't sweat it. I've made plenty of face palming comments myself to call anyone else out. I assumed you thought the whole of Russia was in Asia and had to correct that.

I've always thought of Russia as European personally, according to wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia roughly 77% of the Russian population lives in the European part of the country. But I see where you're coming from they do have a noticeably different culture to most other European nations.

I definitely like your idea of doing a Lance Storm and turn the US title into the Russian title. I think defacing the stars and stripes by covering it with the Russian flag would piss way more Americans off than bringing back the European title could ever do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back