• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: The End Of An Era?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
On Raw this past week, we saw John Cena sort of hand over the Big Gold Belt to Ric Flair, as Flair is the one who commissioned the creation of the original Big Gold Belt back in the mid 80s, as a symbolic gesture indicating the retirement of the title. It lead to a thread earlier this week asking if it means the title is going to be retired and, according to the main page, it looks like that's the case.

PWInsider.com released a report earlier today stating as much, alleging that WWE retiring the Big Gold Belt is part of the company bringing in the new WWE logo design, which is due to take place officially on the post SummerSlam episode of Raw. Another report from earlier in the day states that they've ordered new plates for all their championships to reflect the new logo. The report didn't mention anything regarding completely new title designs, just that the logo would be different. The report further states that it was decided out of the blue to use both the Big Gold and Big Logo Belts to represent the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. As a result, there's been some moderate speculation ever since that WWE may wind up splitting the titles once more. The original plan was to retire the Big Gold Belt late last year and just use a single title.

If this is true, it means that the Big Gold Belt's time is finished. If Cena comes out tonight without it, then it's pretty much over. For me personally, I'd prefer they kept the Big Gold Belt design, slightly modified of course, around not only because it's so iconic but, frankly, it's really become the standard against which every championship in wrestling, boxing MMA or whatever for almost 30 years has been measured.

Its a damn shame, but it has to go, at the same time.

I hope the new belt after SummerSlam is an ode to the shared lineage of the two belts.

I say that, but I have no confidence in the WWE to pull that off in a way that can be described as anything other than "horrifying"

It's unfortunate that belts are no longer classy, just toyetic looking. The last classy looking WWE World belt was the undisputed one which Brock, Hollywood Hogan etc used, which would be great to bring back and use now with updated logos and plates.

I think it's being retired with a whimper rather than a bang. If they really are retiring it then have some sort of ceremony where they bring out some of the various names to have held the big gold belt. From older names like Dusty, Funk, Hogan and Hart to newer guys such as Booker T, DDP, Big Show, and David Arquette (kidding).

Total fantasy booking but it would be great for Flair to come out last to formally retire the belt, only for Sting to make an appearance.

Doubt anything changes in terms of the era, it will still be PG and ruled by Cena, but maybe a new belt is made if Brock wins. I just don't see Brock carrying around 2 belts, if he does win, as for Cena who cares.

It is a shame that the Old WHC title belt is now going to be retired.. I know it had to happen eventually but i was hoping i was wrong.. If the WWE is going to update the logos i want something of the Winged Eagle or when Brock had the Undisputed Title.. That look,that belt just screamed Champion not the current Toys R Us Looking WWE title! That thing is hideous to look at

I really hope that the next WWE title design isn't an update to the craptastic design they have now. That belt looks so cheap next to big gold belt. I would like to see a cross between the Undisputed title with an Eagle worked in... just anything other than the pos title they have now...

I've read that the new belt is simply going to be the current WWE title but with the new logo on the front. It took WWE nearly a decade to update the "spinner" belt so I highly doubt they'd get rid of the new design so quickly.

In a perfect world the World Heavyweight Title would have been the one that remained but its been made out to be the secondary title for so long now WWE probably don't think the fans would accept it as the main belt (even though it's the best looking title in the business and has an iconic design).

I miss the days when WWE had great looking title belts that didn't look like toys- the Attitude Era WWF title, the Undisputed Title and the big gold belt are the 3 best of all time in my opinion.

Looks like its sticking around till after Summerslam.

Personally I think they ruined the Big Gold Belt in late 2008. When Jericho won the belt they began to modify it, they made it smaller, altered the strap and just made it look generally cheaper. The design they had from 2003-2008 was different from the original mostly because of the logo implementation but it still looked classy. In recent years with the degradation of the WHC's meaningfulness, the poor redesign of the belt has matched it.

If it were to be kept around, ideally it'd be returned to its original state when Bischoff reinstated it in 2002.

The Big Gold Belt will eventually be retired. This is a smart move on WWE's part. I'm a huge mark for the Big Gold Belt. It has a fantastic lineage that will be sorely missed. Some true greats have held that belt. However, WWE ridding that belt and keeping their own is a smart move.

The Big Gold Belt is not a WWE Belt. Despite having it since acquiring WCW in 2001, that belt is not WWE born and bred. Plain and simple. WWE will keep their belt around because it's their belt with their logo, and their lineage that they want to promote every week. It's s tradition that started back with Buddy Rogers that they want to keep going. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship may be the combination of two traditions dating back to the NWA, but going forward, only the WWE part of that will live on. By keeping their belt and their belt only, WWE is making a statement that their belt is the belt to have. It's the top prize in Sports Entertainment. The Big Gold Belt simply does not signify WWE, and that's why it's probably not going forward soon. Giving it to Ric Flair or Sting would be the smart move if they want to give it the send off it deserves. Those two guys are arguably the most memorable holders of that title.

Report, rumor, report, rumor, report, rumor.

If they would actually retire both belts and create a new one, that would be the smartest thing to do. But, let's be honest, marketing for toys is the smartest way to design a belt. Does the 33 year old internet mark buy replica belts? Nope. Does the 12 year old Cena/Daniel Bryan/CM Punk fan? You betcha.

Report, rumor, report, rumor, report, rumor.

If they would actually retire both belts and create a new one, that would be the smartest thing to do. But, let's be honest, marketing for toys is the smartest way to design a belt. Does the 33 year old internet mark buy replica belts? Nope. Does the 12 year old Cena/Daniel Bryan/CM Punk fan? You betcha.

Lol....I wanted to agree with you but just saw a dude in the crowd on raw who looked about 49 holding up but belts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back