Songs of abnormal length Thread

Woo, woo, woo, Uncle Phatso's back in the thread. I'm gonna toss up a few songs here today!

First a short song by animals as leaders. For the people who don't know the band has one album out and I can see why. The frontman's name is Tosin Abasi, he is an animal with a guitar. He plays a eight string custom guitar, and uses about every inch of it in his playing. He is a true guitar master in every sence of the word. What he does makes me want to cry, because I could only hope to ever have a shred of tallent he has.

Animals As Leaders - "Tessitura"
[YOUTUBE]fTecI-GVj2Y[/YOUTUBE]

This second video I played the other day to help me mourn the death of Type o Neg's front man Peter Steele. It's music video is only around 4 minutes long, but the real songs is over 11 minutes long. It's a great gothic metal track. I really dig it, and I've been playing it over and over in my head for the past few days.

Black number 1- Type o Negitive
[YOUTUBE]gijwsuHIU8k[/YOUTUBE]

In like the summer of 8th grade I had my friend Devin run me off a lot of cd's. I remember asking for Soad cd's because I had saw a lot of their stuff on tv, and my friend next door had about every cd. So he ended up running me off every cd but Hypnotise and Mezmorize. I got both cd's when they came out, but I remember getting a cd called Soad B-sides. IT was a collection of live, and promotion tracks for Japan and other country’s. It had this song on it Störagéd, on it I looked it up along with The metro and quite a few others.

Störagéd- System of a down
[YOUTUBE]oKoUUXz7kME[/YOUTUBE]

this song was really strange for me, even on the cd you can hear the abrupt stop. I figured I just got a bad copy, but years later I found out that it was the way it was to be.

36- System of a down
[YOUTUBE]3x2m31DgdGU[/YOUTUBE]

When I got Mezmerize in 05 I was about two weeks late on getting it. The first song on it was a snippet of a song and I didn't know if it was to be put on the new cd or what. I looked it up and was really hyped for it. And needless to say when I got the new cd for my birthday I looked up that song that I had wanted to hear because of this intro for months. I loved it.

System of a down- Soldier side intro
[YOUTUBE]FmgINEq-2Rg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not even going to pretend that I know a lot about this band. Because I truly don't, Meshuggah is a Swedish experimental metal band that's about all I know about them. I was talking with a person on facebook about longer metal songs. He showed me In death Is death by this band. I have to admit that I was really impressed. I'm not even really sure about what to call this type of metal fully. But wikipedia and other sources call it Experemental Metal.

But I would like to ask all the readers to help me out, can you shoot me some ideas for some rock bands or country bands with longer or really short songs. I love posting metal, because it's what I know. But shoot me some rep with a band in it that has longer songs. Or shoot me a pm, or post it in your post on here! I know I have to look up one band someone has posted, but that's all I have after this one!

Meshuggah

Internal Evidence
[YOUTUBE]WymVXOfq2r8[/YOUTUBE]

Greed
[YOUTUBE]EQ3N4F3mptM[/YOUTUBE]

Cadaverous Mastication
[YOUTUBE]4CwsBrG9bPU[/YOUTUBE]

Elastic
[YOUTUBE]tQICTAHkR8g[/YOUTUBE]

Closed Eye visuals
[YOUTUBE]s6E54BRzGHU[/YOUTUBE]

Sum
[YOUTUBE]weiXdYGuawY[/YOUTUBE]

In Death- Is Death
[YOUTUBE]hfcF5RkCFO0[/YOUTUBE]

Bleed
[YOUTUBE]3an8jdsVM3s[/YOUTUBE]

Dancers to a Discordant System
[YOUTUBE]6J4Ye7nRT0s[/YOUTUBE]

I find it rather humorous that this thread has only one Psychopathic song when it was started by a Juggalo. There are a few long ass Psychopathic tracks. Here's one of them.

DJ Clay ft The Entire Fam- Kept Grindin'

[YOUTUBE]cXWeVNkr8M0[/YOUTUBE]

Shit song for the most part. Monoxide continues to prove that he's the only true rapper on Psychopathic while everyone else(Boondox being the only exception) basically just phones it in, like they do everything nowadays.

ICP- If I Was A Serial Killer

[YOUTUBE]on5VMRl18Uw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

A bit better than the last one. Not necessarily a song to sit and listen to, but when I saw them in concert it became clear what the song was made for. Them ending the show with this song is one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

First off you may notice one thing about this list, I'm kind of looking over my previous entrys and looking at one fact. Ware the hell is the Metallica man? Damn I'm done, I look through just about every band I have ever played, and this is one of the bigger ones I have forgot? The one band that quite possibly held my intrest as a kid, and I possibly owe my music tastes to today? As much as my music tastes have evolved today, I can still look back and say the Black Album was possibly the first metal album I ever had played for me.

You also may notice that I've not included the Death Magnetic album, well here is the simple fact. It is a 10 song cd, 7/10 of the songs are over 7 minutes long. I have 19 video's allredy posted here. 26 would just be a bit overkill. So here we go, maybe I'll post that cd next or something, but 26 songs don't need to be posted in one post.

Also am I the only one who dosen't shit on St. Anger as an album? I enjoy it, it's not that huge of a fucking change. But people constantly chew out the band for that cd. I know it's not as "brutal" as their first work. But what happened to change. Did we all forget that it's just music?

Also since I'm at posting uber lengths of video's I figured I would keep count. Did you know that when this is posted I will have posted 128 songs of abnormal length?

Metalica: Kill em' All- St. Anger

The Four Horsemen
[YOUTUBE]C4nCy5CITc8[/YOUTUBE]

The Call of Ktulu
[YOUTUBE]Zt_ZE_ib9Wk[/YOUTUBE]

Orion
[YOUTUBE]d7kfD4lsy4o[/YOUTUBE]

Master of Puppets
[YOUTUBE]_z-hEyVQDRA[/YOUTUBE]

Disposable Heroes
[YOUTUBE]-yeBUG5EvMM[/YOUTUBE]

...And Justice for All
[YOUTUBE]CQ4GbcuBvUQ[/YOUTUBE]

One
[YOUTUBE]sXPkmIwwobA[/YOUTUBE]

The Frayed Ends of Sanity
[YOUTUBE]rTu-1-j037U[/YOUTUBE]

To Live Is to Die
[YOUTUBE]2WdYt9VkVek[/YOUTUBE]

The Outlaw Torn
[YOUTUBE]KatGhfaNT98[/YOUTUBE]

Fixxxer
[YOUTUBE]MnpjyNgzJ5Q[/YOUTUBE]

All Within My Hands
[YOUTUBE]ZgaHIE3soUA[/YOUTUBE]

St. Anger
[YOUTUBE]ovBNnm4EqRE[/YOUTUBE]

Some Kind of Monster
[YOUTUBE]zc2gotQptu4[/YOUTUBE]

Invisible Kid
[YOUTUBE]8NOMyL-xi4o[/YOUTUBE]

Shoot Me Again
[YOUTUBE]6v9RgvcV4-Y[/YOUTUBE]

The Unnamed Feeling
[YOUTUBE]E0ZGzEYbBhs[/YOUTUBE]

Bleeding Me
[YOUTUBE]ftV_XepIwpo[/YOUTUBE]

Low Man's Lyric
[YOUTUBE]If1vafTxHjw[/YOUTUBE]

The second part of this series will put this at the longest band post I have ever done. Metallica is deffinatly one of the biggest makers of epic length songs of our day. From the early 80's till today they have been putting out imo solid shit. Really in thinking about it they are one of the most iconic bands to come out of the eightys. They have had their problems, and allmost broke up. But being band members brings together that family feeling. So really I am glad that they are still together playing great music for me and you to lisiten to!

Metallica- Death Magnetic

That Was Just Your Life
[YOUTUBE]O2ebXSddHq0[/YOUTUBE]

The End of the Line
[YOUTUBE]FpINNxI5Vjo[/YOUTUBE]

The Day That Never Comes
[YOUTUBE]O4rJUtJM3aM[/YOUTUBE]

All Nightmare Long
[YOUTUBE]SeE1Y8S6jVc[/YOUTUBE]

The Unforgiven III
[YOUTUBE]6-0kfOxSSa8[/YOUTUBE]

The Judas Kiss
[YOUTUBE]pubOj12gNxQ[/YOUTUBE]

Suicide & Redemption
[YOUTUBE]qPX-GmqcGNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Basically I'm bored, and I'm pretty sure someone has posted one or two Iron vids earlier in the thread. But following the sort of pattern I've been on I'm going to do the whole catalog of Iron Maiden. My friend Dillan is a pretty big fan of them, and they are a usual suspect in his car. He's such a big fan in fact that he got the Killers Mr. Ed tattooed on his arm. All and all they are a great band that for the most part will probably go down as one of the best in history.

Iron Maiden- Seventh son of seventh son

Phantom of the Opera
[YOUTUBE]VUWT1J9Eywo[/YOUTUBE]

The Ides of March
[YOUTUBE]2CN1_mSYIXg[/YOUTUBE]

Hallowed Be Thy Name
[YOUTUBE]J51LPlP-s9o[/YOUTUBE]

To Tame a Land
[YOUTUBE]_y3o4okKXMU[/YOUTUBE]

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
[YOUTUBE]MG_TKcW0GA8[/YOUTUBE]

Caught Somewhere in Time
[YOUTUBE]m3fVDCtc0OY[/YOUTUBE]

Heaven Can Wait
[YOUTUBE]LW5jRBxPdMU[/YOUTUBE]

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
[YOUTUBE]PptHWHfnCnY[/YOUTUBE]

I will finish up next time

OK guys this is a thread for all music. I am a fan of just about everything really, but here's what I've noticed over the years with music. Song length is nuts. The standard single is about 4 minutes long now. That comes from the ability to be able to put more on the CD. Yeah we all get that, but what about the bands that break the mold? The bands that have uber songs. Songs of 7 minutes and beyond. I would just like to invite people to post up their songs of length, great length. We all know them. They are the songs that are really to long to listen to but you do it anyways because they are just that awesome.

End of days Pt 2 Ministry
[YOUTUBE]wK7bnR_ZxFk[/YOUTUBE]

I simply just love this song, its got a great riff that plays all through the song and the almost calming effect of the chorus being repeated makes me listen to this song allot to calm down and think. The ending speech is a very political speech by Eisenhower, it was his far well speech and fits with the song as he went out during the so thought end of days during the cold war.

It comes in at just over 10 minutes

Gojira-Flying whales
[YOUTUBE]9eljjOJwlDY[/YOUTUBE]

Arguably one of their best songs ever Flying Whales by gojira is an epic metal song. Epic in all thoughts, gojira really hit the spot with this off their From Mars to Sirius album. The whale one of the main characters on the CD and this song is all about him. Its about a massive flood on earth and the only way to save the population is to find the flying whales because they are the kee to getting off the earth.

It comes in over 7 and half minutes long.

You have effectively become my favorite poster on this site because of this. Gojira is my FAVORITE band of all time, although I prefer Toxic Garbage Island, in a thread about unusually long songs I'm glad Flying Whales made your cut.
EDIT: JUST saw the The Art of Dying made it on as well. Amazing, iconic song. Totally badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeyy0v-rw_Q

I'm sorry that I have ZERO idea how to post a video on here, but this a great one. Technically it's two songs, but it's really one just split into two actual tracks. It's so worth watching the whole thing and following the lyrics.

Song is Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned by Tool.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned any Explosions in the Sky songs, those guys can put some great songs together and seem to have learned the knack to be able to let an album flow without knowing when one song ends and one begins. The first two have substantial builds but the payoff when they break out is amazing, TPWCT sounds like it should be set to fireworks going off.

Some choice numbers:
It's Natural To Be Afraid - 13.28
The Plane Will Crash Tomorrow - 12.04
First Breath After Coma - 9.40
Let Me Back In - 10.07

Another ambient band The Evpatoria Report have some long songs too:

Prognoz - 14.00
Taijin Kyofusho - 11.00
Cosmic Call - 14.08
Acheron - 19.35

This is the second part of my feature on Iron Maiden. A few quick facts for people who don't know, Iron formed in 1975 Leyton, London, England. As of today they have put out a total of 36 albums, that inclues fifteen studio albums; eleven live albums; four eps; and six compilations. Their mascot Mr. Ed or Eddie has been featured on allmost every cd cover, and live show. Also as of this year they now have a grammy award.

No Prayer for the Dying- A Matter of Life and Death
Fear of the Dark
[YOUTUBE]Nba3Tr_GLZU[/YOUTUBE]
Sign of the Cross
[YOUTUBE]aoxwjLdNmXc[/YOUTUBE]
Fortunes of War
[YOUTUBE]yQSClUcrCpY[/YOUTUBE]
The Unbeliever
[YOUTUBE]l3cvv-7ne_s[/YOUTUBE]
The Angel and the Gambler
[YOUTUBE]cWH_LzVuej8[/YOUTUBE]
The Clansman
[YOUTUBE]UwLtyvGdNbc[/YOUTUBE]
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
[YOUTUBE]dsu_gtf5tzg[/YOUTUBE]
Blood Brothers
[YOUTUBE]FLYcrxYL8j4[/YOUTUBE]
Dream of Mirrors
[YOUTUBE]pwT9G6t-SKI[/YOUTUBE]
The Nomad
[YOUTUBE]F4t1W8IGU80[/YOUTUBE]
The Thin Line Between Love & Hate
[YOUTUBE]7RBEQ8tgNFo[/YOUTUBE]
No More Lies
[YOUTUBE]ihpxdZFV3Ck[/YOUTUBE]
Dance of Death
[P]MZDB0mAMkA4[/P]
Paschendale
[YOUTUBE]c20-fm_WNew[/YOUTUBE]
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
[YOUTUBE]xXiSNWImhw0[/YOUTUBE]
The Longest Day
[YOUTUBE]BSJ8rDlBZ_I[/YOUTUBE]
The Legacy
[YOUTUBE]ECbJdeh1VvA[/YOUTUBE]

In reality that is one hell of a list. But I kind of just looked up Iron Maiden. I'm running out of ideas for bands people! So shoot me a pm with just band names in it that you think might have long or really short songs! It's not that hard, and it would take a few minutes. I love doing this, but I'm not really that diverse in my music. So I want you guys to either post them up here or send me a quick pm on bands you want to see me do!!!

What every long song thread needs. An 8 minute epic dedicated to necrophilia. Actually one of the more experimental A7X songs that I can think of. It's definitely high in the theatrics and orchestra departments while not totally abandoning the hard rock that made them famous.

[YOUTUBE]VurhzANQ_B0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not even going to pretend that I know a lot about this band. Because I truly don't, Meshuggah is a Swedish experimental metal band that's about all I know about them. I was talking with a person on facebook about longer metal songs. He showed me In death Is death by this band. I have to admit that I was really impressed. I'm not even really sure about what to call this type of metal fully. But wikipedia and other sources call it Experemental Metal.

This is a pretty cool thread and happy I found it. Most of these songs I've heard but a lot of them I want to check out since I'm always checking for different music.

I noticed that some Meshuggah was posted, a band that I enjoy listening to on the ipod while working out. Here is another long song of theirs called "I", it's about 20-21 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkHLkmSQ14&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoMOtI3dPlw&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_51653

Well shit, I would've sworn that I had recently posted in here; but it's apparent that I haven't, so in any case I'm here now with a track that I just uploaded yesterday, and it also happens to be one of my favorite tracks over ten minutes long.

Ott - From Trench to Stromness - Skylon​

So I think this might be the first time I've ever posted an Ott track here on WZ, and I'm not joking when I tell you he's one of the best electronic artists I have in my library, and I gots a whole lot of electronic music.

Ott's style is usually categorized as psy/trance/world/dub in no real particular order, most of his songs feature all of those elements and then some. Ott is one of those guys who makes music perfect for doing absolutely anything, but especially listening, his tracks are so deep and entwined that they've got more layers that a Superbowl bean dip, that's a lot of layers. You'll need to listen to it a few times to truly enjoy all it's glory.

Aes Dana - Aftermath 01 - Archives of Peace​

So for anyone unfamiliar with Aes Dana, which I would have to assume is everyone, they'd be categorized as Ambient, or maybe even IDM depending on the song; but this track most definitely falls on the ambient side of things.

There's literally about ten minutes worth of slow build in this song, but that's to be expected with most ambient work, as it's about the relaxation just as much as it is about the music. This is perfect mood music for anything that involves hanging around, working on some homework, or just sapping some wine with the ladies; throw on some Aes Dana and make everything better.

Octavarium by dream theater. I'd post a video but I can't seem to find a good one on my iPod. 5 songs molded into one, this epic clicks in a 23:58

This is a rather short list for me. But this is a band that I have grown to really respect. The last three albums they put out were total fucking monsters in my eyes. Industrial metal really isn't my thing, but I just respect the instramential value that most of the songs have. That being said, this band also had alot of problems. Mostly stemming fron Frontman Al Jourgensen's rampant drug use. Some of their greatist songs came from that peroid, but some of their biggest fails also crawled out of the deep dark moment in history. But here you go and please, send me some ideas!

Ministry

So What
[YOUTUBE]1zQ9bu0ASZI[/YOUTUBE]

Scarecrow
[YOUTUBE]A-nULlfJDvk[/YOUTUBE]

Game Show
[YOUTUBE]Y1ML4yXzoq8[/YOUTUBE]

Impossible
[YOUTUBE]osaW9b14wuA[/YOUTUBE]

leper
[YOUTUBE]YA4WP985TC4[/YOUTUBE]

worm
[YOUTUBE]fmgEni7UJHk[/YOUTUBE]

Khyber Pass
[YOUTUBE]Zy-9fDxn-cU[/YOUTUBE]

This shit is simply amazing. I realllllly wish I had this guy on my ipod back in the day when I smoked. Deadmau5 would have been amazing to set and get fucked up to. Technically pronounced Dead Mouse, Joel Zimmerman is a canadian Progressive Eletro/house producer. He is prominatly popular with alot of college kids, and is best known for his giant mouse heads he wares on stage. Here are a few sample of his songs that make it into the Songs of abnormal length thread.

deadmau5- Strobe
[YOUTUBE]tKi9Z-f6qX4[/YOUTUBE]

deadmau5 - Faxing Berlin
[YOUTUBE]2KTxNTxTtm0[/YOUTUBE]

deadmau5-FML
[YOUTUBE]g34B-YOaC7c[/YOUTUBE]

deadmau5 - Sometimes Things Get, Whatever
[YOUTUBE]GOzwOeONBhQ[/YOUTUBE]

You guys are slackin, I didn't see one mention of the godfather of long ass songs, otherwise known as...

Rush-2112

Amazing song that just puts all of Rush's tremendous musical talent on display. Neil Peart's drums are thunderous and awesome throughout the song. Alex Lifeson, the underrated guitarist that he is, gives us some of his best guitar playing, and of course there is Geddy Lee with his powerful voice, wicked bass playing and skilled keyboard playing fingers. All of these factors comwe together to complete a 20:34 long epic. If you can get through the entire song, which is easy because every second is awesome, you will gain a new found appreciation for Rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back