Songs of abnormal length Thread

Uncle Phatso

Mid-Card Championship Winner
OK guys this is a thread for all music. I am a fan of just about everything really, but here's what I've noticed over the years with music. Song length is nuts. The standard single is about 4 minutes long now. That comes from the ability to be able to put more on the CD. Yeah we all get that, but what about the bands that break the mold? The bands that have uber songs. Songs of 7 minutes and beyond. I would just like to invite people to post up their songs of length, great length. We all know them. They are the songs that are really to long to listen to but you do it anyways because they are just that awesome.

End of days Pt 2 Ministry
[YOUTUBE]wK7bnR_ZxFk[/YOUTUBE]

I simply just love this song, its got a great riff that plays all through the song and the almost calming effect of the chorus being repeated makes me listen to this song allot to calm down and think. The ending speech is a very political speech by Eisenhower, it was his far well speech and fits with the song as he went out during the so thought end of days during the cold war.

It comes in at just over 10 minutes

Gojira-Flying whales
[YOUTUBE]9eljjOJwlDY[/YOUTUBE]

Arguably one of their best songs ever Flying Whales by gojira is an epic metal song. Epic in all thoughts, gojira really hit the spot with this off their From Mars to Sirius album. The whale one of the main characters on the CD and this song is all about him. Its about a massive flood on earth and the only way to save the population is to find the flying whales because they are the kee to getting off the earth.

It comes in over 7 and half minutes long.

Iron Butterfly-In a gadda da vida
[YOUTUBE]2Ee2tnk46Wo[/YOUTUBE]

Wow iron butterflies in a gadda da vida actually had to be shortened to be put on youtube. That's nuts. The original album version was actually shortened down to... you guessed it three minutes to even get air play. This song is on my list because of its pure trippyness. Yes I've spent quite a few nights tripping to it.

The album version of this song comes in at an acid trip length of 17 minutes and five seconds.

Daft Punk- One more time
[YOUTUBE]AznBTHTl_F8[/YOUTUBE]

While not being the original album version, this song one more time was put out along with the original album on a single CD. I honestly hear this song at party's and at the one strip club I went to when I turned 18 this song played for one of the stripper and the crowd went nuts. This is honestly one of the more popular dance songs out their and will be around for a while.

The song comes in at 8 minutes flat.

MJ- Thriller
[YOUTUBE]sOnqjkJTMaA[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah to be honest I'm going here. The song isn't whats long its the mini movie that goes along with it folks. The original song was only just over five minutes long. But the thriller vid the actual one is just right over 13. I personally don't care about Mj's trials or anything i celebrate his music. Mr. Jackson was an awesome dancer and an even better Musician. That's why i chose this.

The video just comes in at over 13 and a half minutes long.

Led Zeplin- In my time of dying
[YOUTUBE]OevWGLGxNLM[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly I have no right to even comment on any Led Zep song. Its just that fucking epic and another song that youtube had to cut from. But that's all right its just about 15 seconds of sound.... NO IT'S NOT! I wanna listen to the whole thing.

Led zeps song comes in at 11:06

Funkadelic-Maggot brain
[YOUTUBE]dh3bleXWaCk[/YOUTUBE]

This is the opening song of their album, and having 10 minutes of balls to the wall guitar playing doesn't hurt it. Its just mind melting. How awesome this whole song is. Its one giant guitar solo. Its just simply awesome I'm really glad I came across it.

It comes in at 10 minutes and twenty seconds.

Pantera-Floods
[YOUTUBE]8nx1nuq1Pt4[/YOUTUBE]

That's right people, PANTERA. I put it on here, its not the longest song ever by the boys. But in my mind it speaks volume to me. The song has an epic almost two minute solo by my man Dime and a brutal calming ending outro. Along with hollow these are the songs that remind me what dime really did for metal. He gave it heart.

Pantera's floods come in at right at 7 minutes long

Rush-Natural science
[YOUTUBE]u7W0Nm8iHwk[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly I've had a small spot in my heart for a while to jam out to rush to for a long time. I just like the band, this song basically helped start the mulit part movement for songs. The song tells a story but in differen parts. As you notice the song kind of changes flows!

Rush's odyssey come in at just over nine minutes long.

Mastodon- The Czar
[YOUTUBE]7Pm16ythlec[/YOUTUBE]

The Czar has four parts, its truly an epic. The whole album is a concept album about the mad russian munk himself Rasputin, the whole song is basically them telling him not to go and whats going to happen to him. It combines slow melodic metal with brutal fast progressive parts. Its actually broke down into four names on the cd thats how cool it is.

The Czar, Usurper, Escape, Martyr, Spiral the four part epic comes in at 10:53

All right guys I've posted up some really good songs here. Anyone wanna add anything to it? You've got really long faves tell me!

Great thread.

I've got quite the list of abnormally long songs sitting in my music library, some of my all time favorite songs are in the nine to eleven minute range. I love when artists break out of the standard three to five minute range for songs, nowhere does it say that songs have to be under five minutes and it's obviously more a main stream trend that benefits everyone except the musician.

One of my all time favorite Infected Mushroom tracks comes in at a cool 8:41, though I would say that the longer song is definitely more of a normal trend for Infected Mushroom than most bands out there.

Infected Mushroom - Heavyweight

This powerful electronic/rock/trance anthem is a prime example of what music is really capable off, this couldn't be further from what you hear on MTV and your local radio station, this is what music sounds like when you create it for the art and the love of the music; as opposed to doing it for the money.

There track is one of the greatest progressive electronic tracks that I've ever heard, nothing repeats, nothing loops there's nobody hitting the same key over and over again. There's nothing fresh innovative beats and hard guitar riffs, one of the most unique sounds out there, and I always recommend Infected Mushroom to anyone looking to give electronic music a try, because of amazing songs like Heavyweight.

I will give you that, that songs pretty epic, I actually like it and tbh i'm not a big dude on eletronic songs, but that is kinda grooving with me right now. Cool shit dude I actually am jaming out to it. Thanks for posting it up

[YOUTUBE]flOvM4Z355A[/YOUTUBE]

Honesly i've lisitened to this song line 300 million times, my mom is a super big 60's and 70's rock fan. She loved the doors. And to be honest I love this song. Every time I hear it in the car i'll turn it up and think back to when I was younger and lisitened to it with my mom jamming out in the car. Its not short on the lyrics or to skimpy on the music. Its just right to chill out to.

The doors light my fire comes in at 7:05

Reactions: TSG
I will give you that, that songs pretty epic, I actually like it and tbh i'm not a big dude on electronic songs, but that is kinda grooving with me right now. Cool shit dude I actually am jaming out to it. Thanks for posting it up

Excellent, glad you dug it. Infected Mushroom is one of a kind, and they pretty much specialize in longer tracks. I suggest checking out the track "Becoming Insane" (7:24) by Infected Mushroom as well, it's off the same album as "Heavyweight", two of my favorite Infected Mushroom tracks.

Now for one of the most chillaxing, spacey dubbed out tracks, with mini builds and drops and an ever progressing sound that sticks with you long after you're done listening to it.

Ott - Solstice (Warwick Bassmonkey Mix)

Ott is the master of the ten minute track, probably my absolute favorite psy trance/dub artists and one of my favorite overall electronic artists. Ott leaves you hanging on every note, while sending you deeper and deeper into your own personal world.

One of his shorter tracks, "The Queen of all Everything", still comes in at 7:52, and yes I said one of his shorter tracks. Ott is able to take advantage of the "larger canvas" better than any other electronic artist and I'd put him up there with anyone else as far as long quality tracks are concerned.

Leave it to me to bring some wicked shit into another thread. I proudly present to you INSANE CLOWN POSSE ~ REAL UNDERGROUND BABY. This track is off the sixth jokers card The Wraith-Hells Pit, and is the final track on the album. I would not consider this to be like most other ICP songs as it is more of a bass song. It is to my knowledge the longest ICP song.

[YOUTUBE]__95xCGSo8U[/YOUTUBE]

NOFX ~ THE DECLINE

[YOUTUBE]b429zk6aTfs&p[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]zd3zX_wBeBY&p[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]MRxRl9FM1dw&p[/YOUTUBE]

I love this song and will say it is my favorite NoFx song. It is extremely long for a punk rock song, but it never looses my interest. This is a song I recommend to everyone not just fans of the band. Sorry I could not find it all on one video.

Yeah last night i was going through all my cd's some of my first choices are from my cd colection, unfortinatly sorry to burst everyones bubble but i don't own any door's cd's or daft punk. Sorry but lastnight while looking over my metal and whatnot cd's i did find and rather nice black metal song.

Dimmu borgir-Kings of the carnival creation
[YOUTUBE]srQ3n_pI2hQ[/YOUTUBE]

Dimmu borgir has allways been a favorite of mine, some people say its mainstreem black metal but honestly I love its melodic hints. Kings of the carnival creation is a mix of slow paced metal and then it kicks in and just blows your eardrums out. Dimmu is known for putting out albums with four and five minute long songs. So to find a song thats allmost 8 minutes long is a rarity

Dimmu's carnival atrocity comes in just a hair under 8 minutes long.

Led zeplin- Stairway to heaven
[YOUTUBE]BcL---4xQYA[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly this song is an anthem still to this day. Its an anthem just for chilling out. Its got alot of great groves and its just a mellow ass song. I found it years ago as i'm sure most rock metal and whatever other lisitners have. Trust me guys its a great lisiten from a really great band.

This youtube vid has it put at ten minutes long but it has a few extra zep rifs at the end for fans, but the original was allmost 8 minutes long.

Split Enz-Under the Wheel
[YOUTUBE]khPvE9JMg5A[/YOUTUBE]

Allright lol, i'm not grasping at straws here. Was just chilling this morning with a buddie and talking about this thread. I had told him that i made a thread on a site about really long songs, he starts to think and runs up stairs and asks his step dad for his cd case. And comes back down with this beast. While we didn't have the actual cd it was a burnt one. We lisitened to this twice and its just pretty out there. A really cool song to me I kinda was digging it.

So split enz's debut album leviathan comes out at 7:50

We all know that Iron Maiden love their 7-8 minute long rock god songs, but this one, from the Powerslave album clocks in at a whopping 13 minutes 42 seconds. An awesome song, by one of the best bands in the world, who keep on producing great albums time after time.

[YOUTUBE]t7zk4as9kzA[/YOUTUBE]

My second pick is by a band called Flowered Up, who were one of the less successful bands of the late 1980s- early 1990s "MADchester" era Manchester music scene. This was their most famous track, a funy guitar based dance track and was a homage to the crazy acid and pill popping weekend scene of the time. Still played to death on the dancefloor in indie clubs all over the country, here is "Weekender" in all its 12 minute 55 second glory

[YOUTUBE]Nq3O6LlLjlc[/YOUTUBE]

I love this song. First of all, Myles Kennedy and his amazing voice are in full effect here. and second, it's got a powerful story behind it: One of the bands closest friends died at a relatively young age and they felt compelled to pay homage. Song clocks in at 7:58.

[YOUTUBE]yz_j7nVCJJ0[/YOUTUBE]

I love this song. First of all, Myles Kennedy and his amazing voice are in full effect here. and second, it's got a powerful story behind it: One of the bands closest friends died at a relatively young age and they felt compelled to pay homage. Song clocks in at 7:58.

[YOUTUBE]yz_j7nVCJJ0[/YOUTUBE]

I saw Alter Bridge Live last week, and the roof came off the place when they played "Blackbird". It is a phenomenal track, and while not an "abnormally" long song really, it is aweeeesome!

Reflection- Tool
[YOUTUBE]CvFN1p6dzNk[/YOUTUBE]

This song means that after coming out of a severe depression, you deffinitely feel reborn with a higher consciousness. Its deffinatly true, when I was 13 I was diagnosed with Manic Depression. I was a sad little dude then lmfao, but really this song helps. It tells you that even if you hit rock bottom it will get greater. You will grow into a greater person no matter what. I've hit rock bottom with depression a few times. Trust me people, if your ever depressed lisiten to this song, its so mellow. It speaks vollume to you, it tells you that it will be allright. Tool really hit the spot with this song and many more.

Tool's song comes out at 11:07

Ermm, firstly L'va L'viaquez by The Mars Volta - It's hits about 12:57 in it's entirety.
I won't post it or this one;

Coheed & Cambria's "The Willing Well". Because it's so long, it's split into four parts as they couldn't record it in one go. Each part lasts just over 7 mins or just under 8. Totals up to about half an hour if the parts are played back to back, which they're meant to.

I think everyone is going too far in thinking that abnormal song length is only restricted to long songs. Because you don't necessarily have to even reach a minute before getting your point across the Dead Kennedys did it in 28 seconds and it is a fully functional song and statement as a backlash against the proliferation of Prog Rock bands that play epically long songs, and concept albums like Rick Wakeman. But here is the song

Almost any Grateful Dead song has a chance of making a list like this.

Also, Dance With The Devil by Immortal Technique has a insane story and is also around the 7 or 8 minute mark.

Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd is also around the 9 minute mark as well. I love both songs and all, but Jesus. Takes a solid amount of time to sit through all without being like, "Yeah, I got the gist of that song," and just going on to the next one.

I am not usually a fan of songs that are around the 8 minute+ in length, I tend to get a bit bored by then. It takes a special song to keep me interested past that time. "Free Bird" is an excellent example of this.

This song is NOT a special song, or even a good song. It is simply funny, and although I do not have it on my ipod any more, I still have it on a compliation CD I made when I was about 14, when I thought that this was awesome!

[YOUTUBE]Q29JSyIVd7E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Xbs7f72Srok[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, the song was over 12 mins and had to be seperated into 2 seperate youtube parts. Check out the video that some guy made for it lol

Songs do usually come in around 3 or 4 minutes these days and back in the day they were shorter, which makes my entry in this thread seem even longer by comparison. Bonnie Tyler's "Rebel Without a Clue" is 8 and a half minutes long. That's insane, even by today's standards. It's an awesome song and I love to listen to it when I have long tedious tasks to do (levelling up in video games in particular) because it makes the time go by faster.

[YOUTUBE]YYLmbULGaZQ[/YOUTUBE]

Surprised Nobody here has mentioned this song

Wormword by fozzy

A 14 min EPIC

[YOUTUBE]ZGJPB-IPG3Y&p=E9D2A35A19FE05B6&playnext=1&index=11[/YOUTUBE]

Any avid Chris Jericho fan would appreciate this song.

OPETH, one of if not my favorite metal band, a large portion of their songs exceed 8 minutes as their albums usually include 5 or 6 songs.

Each of their songs are epically epic, as the lead singer Mikael Akerfeld is a genius with the use of both a deep Death Metal voice and a soft and soothing classical voice. Many bands have copied the style of Opeth, including Fozzy. Just above me, lenguy you mentioned that song and the style is similar without the Death Metal.

Check the album The Roundhouse Tapes, which was recorded Live in Europe.Here's one of my favorite songs which exceeds 10 minutes:

It's called Ghost of Perdition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8IddaGnLq4&feature=related

I'm not big on posting videos and I don't even know if this one has a video but my favorite longer song is Elton John's Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. I also enjoy Metallica's Orion although I'm not as big a fan of of their To Live Is To Die or Suicide And Rredemption.

"Coma" by GNR. it comes in at a little over 10 minutes.

Also for songs that are between 7-9 minutes long, see 90% of Metallica's discography.

Hurricane - Bob Dylan

[YOUTUBE]5jPosrhDnMY[/YOUTUBE]​

Masterful story-telling. At a length of 8:33 in the studio version, it is most definitely my favourite song of abnormal length and one of my favourite songs ever. I'm afraid I couldn't find a studio version on YouTube or Dailymotion but a low quality live video is better than nothing, right? Right?

Bob Dylan is obviously a genius songwriter and this shows it perfectly. I find myself hooked to the lyrics, listening intently every time. That is the sign of good, story-telling lyrics. I love the layered sound of the music. And although the music takes a back seat to the lyrics, the violins, symbols, etc make it perfect.

Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang

[YOUTUBE]NwaW4cZNwRk[/YOUTUBE]​

You have to have a heart of stone to not like this. Fun, catchy, colourful, this song is everything hip-hop was and in many ways, should still be. It has a killer bass line (thank you Chic) and at 14:37 long, it is deceptively long. Still, that time flies by. It is no surprise to me that it has been listed as one of the greatest hip-hop songs ever many times.

Gojira- Into the Wilderness
[YOUTUBE]cPEGnvMygO8&NR[/YOUTUBE]

Allright guys great choices so far, I'm at it again posting up long ass songs for you to get your fix to. Here is another great choice to lisiten to. The album this song came off of came with 3 different tracks with over 7 minute length. I'll put this in second tied with the other song, global warming. I believe Gojira's drummer Mario is one of the best in metal today. He's a great drummer along with the other tallent the band throws into the mix.

Now put out in 2008, over three years after the release of their last album Gojira put on an epic cd in the way of all flesh. This song only contained one uber length track and that was The Art of Dying

[YOUTUBE]_xEYz74bMHA[/YOUTUBE]

The Art of Dying comes in at well over 9 minutes. The first minute a tribal band play their drums. Then all hell breaks loose, the mentioned drummer lets out an all out assault on your ears with well over a minute of playing directed at him. Basically the song goes over why he can't take living anymore, and the proper way for him to die.

The Doors- The End

[YOUTUBE]ARNT9GCgqJ8[/YOUTUBE]

While you could argue its poetry being sang with musical as well it's still a long song, it was also the last song on the album when it originally came out. Talking about a person who's mad which culminates killing his brother, sister, dad and then raping his mom, its kind of creepy, especially when Jim Morrison just sings it so calmly.

I can't believe that nobody has said "November Rain" from Guns n' Roses! It is 8 minutes and 57 seconds of pure awesomeness. Slash has a 2 minute long guitar solo that is arguably one of the greatest of all time.

I'll probably catch some shit for this, but Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" should be mentioned. The song was originally 12 minutes long, but it was edited down for radio. The radio version omits the 2nd, 3rd, and fifth verses.

I don't care what anyone says, Meatloaf has an awesome voice! Let me also mention his song "paradise by the Dashboard Light." The song is 8 minutes 28 seconds long, and is a about a guy in high school trying to convince his girlfriend to bang him...I love it.

I'm at work, so I can't access videos or songs to link. But, definitely check em' out.

So i'll do them for you! I like meatloaf to lmfao, he's a great singer! I love meatloaf, I believe he's a great singer but really is underated, Trust me I like good singers as much as I like drummers. Also november rain is pretty epic, lmfao Slash's solo is brutal man, one of the best of all time. But I like dimebag's floods solo better. So meatloaf ftw, and slashes solo ftw.

Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
[YOUTUBE]ZK-FRac7m58[/YOUTUBE]

Meat Loaf - I would do anything for love
[YOUTUBE]9GNhdQRbXhc[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not actually a really big Gnr fan, Idn why. I Love Slash's guitar playing though. He's got a really blues feeling to it, but for some reason I've never been a fan of Gnr's.

Guns N' Roses - November Rain
[YOUTUBE]8SbUC-UaAxE[/YOUTUBE]

I've got a really great song by my Ohio land metal brethren Chimaira! I personally think they are on the fold right now, a great band that hasen't really got the airplay they diserve. Comming from Ohio, I've lived here my whole life, I was suprised to find a really good metal band in my back yard. I know Mushroomhead hit it big, along with The Devil Wears prada. But finding a really good solid metal band in Ohio is becoming hard for me. So here is the song you've been waiting for.

Chimaira- SIX
[YOUTUBE]IJNJ7fXSzVE[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back