Songs of abnormal length Thread

One of the best bands in the land. Actually one of my favorites have been putting out uber long songs for years actually. But this came to ahead when with their new album the blackening came out. Four songs surpassed the 7 minute mark, but none of them were less than 9 minutes long. Simply amazing play by my boys from Oakland, California! I persoanlly got the album three days after it came out in 07' and I just about lost it. Every song on it from Astetics of Hate to Halo was awsome. So I have 4 songs from Machine Head's new album for you to lisiten to today, along with a few other long songs by them.

Machine Head

Violate
[YOUTUBE]rnJpFv2YWsg[/YOUTUBE]

Descend the Shades of Night
[YOUTUBE]7JkuNsBwzTw[/YOUTUBE]

Clenching the Fists of Dissent
[YOUTUBE]qhkQEWKeqTE[/YOUTUBE]

Halo
[YOUTUBE]ROm5ojKnXDI[/YOUTUBE]

Wolves
[YOUTUBE]KaoxPXLzZk8&NR[/YOUTUBE]

A Farewell to Arms
[YOUTUBE]x9mwaBdj6mk[/YOUTUBE]

The three extra tracks in Velvet Cacoon's Dextronaut are pretty long. Lotsa funeral doom and drone-y doom metal drags on for ages. Can't post any of their songs here since YouTube is soooooooooo restricting when it comes to song lenghts. Shape of Despair is one band that comes to mind right meow that someone could look up and die of boredom.

Oh and then there's that one song with Mike Patton.

Google is your best friend, people. Look 'em up, burn a jay and relax cuz that's the only way I can listen to this stuff.

A thread about long songs and Dream Theater's Octavarium hasn't been mentioned yet. You should all hang your heads in shame. :disappointed: :p

[YOUTUBE]LH_9lJxeiXg[/YOUTUBE]

So this song comes in at a HUGE 24 minutes, all centering around the concept of a full circle, how things go in a circle and then repeat again, like an octave in music theory. Amazingly this song actually draws you in and keeps you entranced for the whole 24 minutes, unlike many other long prog rock songs that have you bored after about 5 minutes.

[YOUTUBE]cnDqpB8UDM8[/YOUTUBE]

I think this is the longest single ever to get to UK number 1. This was Oasis coked up beyond belief, from their Be Here Now album.

This is one of the poorer songs off the album in my opinion, it sounds too much like the Beatles for me, while the rest of the album is more the "wall of sound" that Oasis became famous for. This is still a good song, but I think it should have been around 5 mins in length, as it does drag on a bit.

Live Forever

Here's one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet (especially since it's regarded as one of, if not THE longest metal song ever written and composed)

Manowar's "Achilles' Agony And Ecstasy In Eight Parts". 28 and a half minutes. The band actually wrote this one because their label said they wanted Manowar to write something more single-friendly. Well, they accomplished the exact opposite, and the Kings of Metal used this mammoth epic to kick off their Triumph Of Steel album- and in doing so, they defined the CD. Mention ToS to a Manowar fan and one of the first things they'll mention is Achilles.

[YOUTUBE]dpmAY059TTY[/YOUTUBE]

Slash just owns the shit out of this song, his guitaring is something special, as always.

Although I prefer the more rockier Guns stuff, more the Appetite era that the Illusions albums (bar a few exceptions), but you gotta say how fucking awesome the music is on this one. It hits the November Rain heights of epicness!

I now have found one of the most uber bands out in the game today. I've known of them for years and I'm kicking myself in the ass right now for not putting them up eirlier. High on fire, Matt Pike is the lead singer and lead guitar player. A feat in itself for a singer to play good guitar in todays music. But Matt surpasses all aspects of the tipical lead singer. I have to say, i've seen ulgy dudes... But Matt Pike takes the cake. But his amazing guitar playing and his gravely voice more than make up for the fact that he looks like a homeless man. Also i'm sure he gets more pussy weekly than I could think of in a life time. So i'm begging you, If you like great guitar playing. Peep your ears to any of his songs posted. You'll thank me later, trust me.:worship:

Snakes for the Divine
[YOUTUBE]L0VPVawpN8E[/YOUTUBE]

How Dark We Pray
[YOUTUBE]8b5v-nUhByY[/YOUTUBE]

Now a rarity for me, I'm posting two songs that just surpasses the one minute mark.

The path
[YOUTUBE]fwsAfdgXK34[/YOUTUBE]

This is just a drum solo really, but I like it!

Headhunter
[YOUTUBE]LPabOiMsAKQ[/YOUTUBE]

Death is This Communion
[YOUTUBE]xqrCGJwdfgA[/YOUTUBE]

Cyclopian Scape
[YOUTUBE]yPrJIhqQJ7U[/YOUTUBE]

Blessed Black Wings
[YOUTUBE]OU-lmsh93s[/YOUTUBE]

To Cross The Bridge
[YOUTUBE]SnSaD62O5aw[/YOUTUBE]

Sons of Thunder
[YOUTUBE]579TLIfQ6xo[/YOUTUBE]

The Yeti
[YOUTUBE]G6S25Sx8Um0[/YOUTUBE]

A few more songs could be posted. But I think this will give you a good idea of how he plays. Its just awsome, the drummer and other memebers of the band not mentioned are also pretty stellar players also. But Matt Pike is the one I'm raving about for good reason.

After being a fan of them for more than 7 years I've finally found somthing thats suprised me from this band. Lamb of god is famous for being a fast brutal band. This song is fast, but tells a story of the end of days. It talks about what mankind has become and how the world will end.

They put out great 3-5 minute songs, but this is a first. A over 7 minute song, this fits in with this thread very well. Right off the cd booklet this song comes in at just over 7 minutes. 7:05

Lamb Of god- Reclamation
[YOUTUBE]GDIR9XmvFdE[/YOUTUBE]

Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day was my favourite song growing up. It lasts a good nine minutes but it is a compliation of about 6 different songs so I'm not sure if that will count? Anyway great song and it even tells a really great story if you should choose to analysis it for English work like I did.

[youtube]SA8v3B1SxR0[/youtube]

Dopesmoker by Sleep

[YOUTUBE]tOpidgBVa5s[/YOUTUBE]

This is Sleep off their album Dopesmoker.
The C.D. has one song on it and it's a little over an hour long, that part I posted is just a little bit of it. It's old fashioned sludge metal at it's finest, It's made by stoners (obviously) for stoners but still kicks ass. I remember I listened to this album for the first time going on an airplane from Providence, R.I. to Washington D.C. I was about halfway there when I looked down expecting to see track 11 or 12 but I was still on track one blew my mind. Crazy shit.

EDIT: I recommend getting extremely baked and listening to the whole song straight through, preferably while alone, with headphones, in the dark, and before you go to sleep, it's fucking amazing.

How much I push my metal on the forums is quite funny. I love metal as i've said before. I plan on doing Amon Amarth and Bathory next for any fans out and about. But today we have Satyricon, For thoes who don't know the drummer he is one of the most iconic drummers of the black metal scene. His name is frost, he's a pretty tits drummer. One of my goals before I die is to actually meet him and pay my metal drummers dues. But here we go just a quick few songs from them that are over 7 minutes long!

Die By My Hand
[YOUTUBE]nfb7tpYbjBc[/YOUTUBE]

Den Siste
[YOUTUBE]gvkm2D7Y0e0[/YOUTUBE]

Mother North (Live w/orchestra)
[YOUTUBE]lKs7KKY7nBs[/YOUTUBE]

To The Mountains
[YOUTUBE]81eU4YMfn1E[/YOUTUBE]

Black Lava
[YOUTUBE]rU0y7NfuI-0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't care if I have to start looking up bands I don't know, I will not let this thread die :banghead:

I checked to make sure this one hadn't been posted yet. Since Licker already posted Jesus of Suburbia(bastard) I went with something a little less known.

Bernie Worrell: Insurance Man For the Funk

This song is a guilty pleasure for me. The rhythm usually begins to grow repetitive, and that's kind of the opposite of the idea when it comes to funk.

Famed P-Funk keyboardist Bernie Worrell somehow found a way to maintain an interesting groove for 9:55 in his tune "Insurance Man for Funk."

While most of the song consists of Worrell boasting in his own style about how he is the last hope for true funk, the groove that fills the cracks behind him never grows stale and never gets tired. Despite the repetition of the lyrics, the music manages to stay fresh, and quite funky one at that.

Ok guys, here we go another instalment of really long songs! I originaly had planed on doing the bands seperate. But Amon Amarth and Bathory are on the list today, Amon is a good metal band thats kind of out in the open right now. They are fronting the Viking metal scene along with a few more bands along with Bathory. Bathory on the other hand is a mixed metal band siting both viking and black metal as their Genre.

Here we go!

Amon amarth

Avenger
[YOUTUBE]Fba6eUzW-1Q[/YOUTUBE]

Amon Amarth
[YOUTUBE]naU2WoQBCQw[/YOUTUBE]

Victorious March
[YOUTUBE]2_mqK3hzjvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Bathory

The Wheel of Sun
[YOUTUBE]3UgJ0e56yX4[/YOUTUBE]

The Messenger
[YOUTUBE]CLYhxN290yA[/YOUTUBE]

Nordland
[YOUTUBE]M4GzsDgOKDg[/YOUTUBE]
Great Hall Awaits a Fallen Brother
[YOUTUBE]HrRX72QnjE8[/YOUTUBE]

Foreverdark Woods
[YOUTUBE]2d2oSJS8QAs[/YOUTUBE]

Thats all I will post for now! Bathory will be continued next time!

Ok and on to the second enstalment of Bathory. I really actually didn't know to much about this band before I herd Amon, but they really peaked my intrests with their two newest albums the nordland's. But sadly thats the end of what they will ever put out with the passing of the lead singer Quorthon. They arent your tipical metal band. They are deffinatly pretty brutal, but they push the boundrys most of the time for what that is really considered for.

Bathory Pt.2

White Bones
[YOUTUBE]ijrOZlW-DKg[/YOUTUBE]

Day of Wrath
[YOUTUBE]bE0J2EDwTq4[/YOUTUBE]

The Revenge of the Blood on Ice
[YOUTUBE]vAeCiJ7FdEk[/YOUTUBE]

Blood and Iron
[YOUTUBE]hXLNyNAY3Z4[/YOUTUBE]

To Enter Your Mountain
[YOUTUBE]cJEOcnS9zlE[/YOUTUBE]

Shores in Flames
[YOUTUBE]yNU9oQWe7cc[/YOUTUBE]

Valhalla
[YOUTUBE]W2ET8ghJaBE[/YOUTUBE]

One Rode to Asa Bay
[YOUTUBE]hDpc-831GPs[/YOUTUBE]

Blood Fire Death
[YOUTUBE]xg_OKyJBcQg[/YOUTUBE]

A Fine Day to Die
[YOUTUBE]OyYnstGB3rM[/YOUTUBE]

Next time like bathory I will be doing a world wide favorite, Pink Floyd. I plan on possibly doing a two set like bathory. So look for them both, I've also noticed that alot of people really aren't posting so I really want to challenge you guys! Take a look at your old cd's of your favorite bands and post up a few bands! Please do, I lisiten to every video you guys post up. As I hope you all do the same to mine.

Ok guys the deal here is I've been pushing my metal bands on you for a few weeks now. Heres what I'm going to do for you! Pink Floyd, I will be doing Floyd in a 2 part series as with bathory. I'm sure most people on this forum know this band. I'm sure this 2 parter with this band will bring a few memorys, I personally love this band. I'm not really sure why I didn't post them sooner. But here we go! Week on of Pink Floyd.

Interstellar Overdrive
[YOUTUBE]emlJKhLZOh8[/YOUTUBE]

A Saucerful of Secrets
[YOUTUBE]PHE6lpcApIw&[/YOUTUBE]

Quicksilver
[YOUTUBE]V9qlr4a4wjM[/YOUTUBE]

Sysyphus
[YOUTUBE]B3eosxUjarU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]j2bFen-jt7M[/YOUTUBE]

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
[YOUTUBE]Jqn-KAFX58k[/YOUTUBE]

The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
[YOUTUBE]vOZo6mgLxmI[/YOUTUBE]

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
[YOUTUBE]5tzmgp0a2SM[/YOUTUBE]

Atom Heart Mother
[YOUTUBE]iCv4cLqs1ik[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]hknkiES5fh8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]US3TNFrGm4M[/YOUTUBE]

Next Time we will start with the Dark Side of the Moon

Modest Mouse - Spitting Venom
[YOUTUBE]-8rH80cBWjQ[/YOUTUBE]​

This is the song that got me into Modest Mouse. The lyrics are great (like most Modest Mouse songs) and the sound changes throughout so it never gets repetitive or boring. It starts as with a folk sound for the first 90 seconds, and then starts on this rock riff that builds throughout the song. It seamlessly transitions from crescendos and yelling to subdued whispered lyrics and back again. Just a great song from start to finish.

Ok guys here is my second post and final of the Pink Floyd series. Basically i'm just going to go over the newer albums and post up 7 minute plus songs. You all know the drill, and I'm here to post it up. I'm not so totaly sure who to post up next. Anyone wanna shoot me some ideas? post it up here with a video or pm them to me. I'll be glad to look around at them. Make sure to do some looking, I don't feel like looking at a band with no actual 7+ minutes songs. Any rock or metal or fuck even pop band will do. Shoot some at me

Pink Floyd.

Us and Them
[YOUTUBE]zlY-JlE5ZCo[/YOUTUBE]
Welcome to the Machine
[YOUTUBE]ZB_2oIKUVks[/YOUTUBE]
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
[YOUTUBE]TdAEmX0OpMk[/YOUTUBE]
Dogs
[YOUTUBE]nlJWis5wH54[/YOUTUBE]
Pigs(three different ones)
[YOUTUBE]8XjY2m0bAaU[/YOUTUBE]
Sheep
[YOUTUBE]j5mJQGMqJvw[/YOUTUBE]
Yet Another Movie / Round and Around
[YOUTUBE]bGNuI70PPaQ[/YOUTUBE]
Sorrow
[YOUTUBE]E3ig2GnO1Kg[/YOUTUBE]
High Hopes
[YOUTUBE]UuO04PJnsjM[/YOUTUBE]
Poles Apart
[YOUTUBE]TfW1FdTnQJ0[/YOUTUBE]

Ok since no one posted up any ideas in the thread. Lets do this, Led Zeppelin. Ok lets get real here. Led zep are gods, without them and we've established this that there would be no metal. Other bands have helped influence my favorite type of music, but to me Led Zep was at the forefront. I love this band and I've already put up one of their most famous songs. But now I'm going to post up all the long songs I can find of them. Because lets get real here, long songs are my shit. I love the effort bands put into the songs of abnormal length, and for the life of me. I will never let this thread die.

Led Zeppelin

White Summer/Black Mountain Side
[YOUTUBE]wrvfMSYNqBg[/YOUTUBE]

Carouselambra
[YOUTUBE]s1mOcNj8otI[/YOUTUBE]

Achilles Last Stand
[YOUTUBE]p6S9oqJRclo[/YOUTUBE]

Tea For one
[YOUTUBE]e8Cl68H9jOI[/YOUTUBE]

In the Light
[YOUTUBE]UXFUnnoSphY[/YOUTUBE]

Possibly one of the most iconic songs ever
Kashmir
[YOUTUBE]sfR_HWMzgyc[/YOUTUBE]

No Quarter
[YOUTUBE]RKOngTfTMs0[/YOUTUBE]

When the Levee Breaks
[YOUTUBE]WbrjRKB586s[/YOUTUBE]

Since I've Been Loving You
[YOUTUBE]Bkjv9SscotY[/YOUTUBE]

How Many More Times
[YOUTUBE]9J8-xmbfBWc[/YOUTUBE]

Just made a nice long ass post for this thread that got accidentally deleted. This post will be quite shit compared to the deleted one, and if I didn't spend hours uploading this beast of a track I would have just given up like a little bitch.

1200 Micrograms - Seven (Numbers Are Alive)

I uploaded this one yesterday just to test out my "Upgraded" youtube account, I figured I would take advantage of being able to upload videos longer than fifteen minutes, and besides the fact that it seemingly took forever to upload, I was definitely happy with the end result.

This track is an absolute beast, 25 minutes of adrenaline pumping beats, savage guitar rifts and all that other fun stuff. Great way to kill half an hour without even realizing it.

Before I stopped doing this thread I had hoped to do a Jimi Hendrix themed post. While this isn't all of the mans work here are two very long songs. I say alot that I don't believe that Jimi is the best guitarist of all time for alot of reasons, but I do however actually lisiten to him alot. Unlike some arguments I've been in with friends over this man, I've backed up my theorys. But thats allways in music, you take what you get. Alot of people do say that Jimi is the best guitarist ever, and I guess thats what people will generaly base their theorys on. Blah! Whatever I'm rambiling on, but for the most part I've lisitend to both of these songs while compeletly fried lmfao and let me tell you this. It's an amazing experence to have happen to you, you can actually feel the music. Its amazing, well here you go guys Not his best work but none the less two great songs.

[YOUTUBE]5uBmCW9lZ_0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gDSP64mGk20[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]lyfoI89hpOg[/YOUTUBE]

I like Weird Al's Trapped in the Drive Thru. It is a parody of "Trapped in the Closet" which was pretty awesome as well. Trapped in the Drive Thru is like 11 minutes or more and it tells a really funny story.

Song of the Century by Green Day
[YOUTUBE]XVfDnR0HkVM[/YOUTUBE]
This song is actually what it says. It's a song of the century. Green Day nailed this song, and didn't pass a minute doing it. Song clocks in at 0:59.

UNCLE PHATSO, how about the Allman Brothers Band? I'm not gonna post any videos cuz I'm too lazy but they have plenty to choose from. Any live versions of they're instrumental songs will be at least 10 mintues. Mountain Jam is usually 35+minutes, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed will be around 15. Live versions Whippin Post will usually be 20+. If you only want studio recordings, then High Falls is about 14:30, Les Brers in A Minor clocks in at 9 minutes, Jessica is about 7 and a half minutes. Their last album Hittin the note has High Cost of Low Living(7:52) Desdemona(9:20), Rockin Horse(7:23), and Instrumental Illness at 12:17. I realize some people get bored with bands like them and the Grateful Dead and say they play too many long ass solos and only stoned hippies are fans, but the Allmans are truly a musicians band.

I love the song Come Back by Foo Fighters from the One By One Album, it's about 7:30 minutes long. It's not one of their most famous songs, for some reson they don't play it live, or even mention it. :shrug:

The second rock anthem of Green Day's American Idiot Album.
Homecoming
[youtube]zl6s1Xe4mUs[/youtube]

This song was the perfect ending to the American Idiot story, and it is a counter culture masterpiece. It's the second best song on the album in my opinion, second only to the other rock anthom of the album "Jesus of Suberbia" which someone else already posted. The five stages of the song are all kickass, full of rises and falls, and it is truly the final climax of the album.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back