Should the ECW title count as a legit world title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ECW Championship as it is now called should be considered a world title because its an achievement to win the belt, its to be the best on ECW.
It shouldn't be considered a world title because the best on ecw is maybe above normal midcard.When test and hardcore were feuding with the champ (i really dont remember i think maybe big show?)in november - december if they werent on ecw do you think they would be at the top feuding with either world champ? The best of the 'C' brand isnt gonna be better than the wrestlers on 'a' and 'b' brands because if they were they wouldn't have been on the 'c' brand.
Its not the holder of the belt that makes the belt its the other way around its the belt that makes the holder. No matter who holds a World title it should be just as legit no matter who they beat to win the title, the champion should be the best of their brand no matter who it is.
Any belt cant mean anything by itself.It needs someone to make it mean something so you can look back and say RVD held that belt,Ric flair held that belt,hulk hogan,chris jericho..etc..it gains a legacy .Makes it mean something.I dont think this current ecw title has been properly established yet(if it can be since imo its a dev. type belt).

PS. ECW needs to change before it can have a world title in no way can a

Right now ECW is falling apart. Where did Sabu, RVD, and Big Show go? Are they planning on returning? Once Kurt Angle left ECW, it's slowly crumbling. And where is Paul Heyman? Isn't he suppose to be the one running all of this crap? Now he's going to leave for TNA, and leaving ECW the crap it was 7 years ago.

Ok back on topic. No, I don't think the ECW World Title should really be considered a 'World Title' of WWE. With only about 12 or something superstars, how can you even consider it a brand anymore? How bout just put ECW with Smackdown, and you got yourself a RAW brand. I want to see a CM Punk + Rey Mysterio tag team. I guess you should include the ECW Title to be part of Smackdown, but it will seem more as a... IC Title of Raw.

SEX!

i dont get it on the money in the bank ladder match u either choose the world title , wwe title or the ecw title thats an world title so if it wanst a world title why isnt in the category of which belt to choose

i dont get it on the money in the bank ladder match u either choose the world title , wwe title or the ecw title thats an world title so if it wanst a world title why isnt in the category of which belt to choose

The thing about the ECW title is that while its an option for the MIITB winner or even the Royal Rumble winner for that matter,it will never be chosen.The ECW title will never be in the mainevent of a Wrestlemania.It may not even be defended at one if Vince could have his way.Its more of a development title thats why they dont care whether the guy who has it is a big draw or not.

Right now ECW is falling apart. Where did Sabu, RVD, and Big Show go? Are they planning on returning? Once Kurt Angle left ECW, it's slowly crumbling. And where is Paul Heyman? Isn't he suppose to be the one running all of this crap? Now he's going to leave for TNA, and leaving ECW the crap it was 7 years ago.

Ok back on topic. No, I don't think the ECW World Title should really be considered a 'World Title' of WWE. With only about 12 or something superstars, how can you even consider it a brand anymore? How bout just put ECW with Smackdown, and you got yourself a RAW brand. I want to see a CM Punk + Rey Mysterio tag team. I guess you should include the ECW Title to be part of Smackdown, but it will seem more as a... IC Title of Raw.

I actually agree with everything in that post! Why the ECW's still out there!

On the topic, I don't think the ECW title's been worth nothing after Big Show. When they started to bring back ECW I thought that was a good idea. I considered the title to bee worth something, but now the title ain't a world title just because there ain't no competition. Like in the quated post, how can people consider the ECW to be a brand or it's title to be a world title when there's something like 10 wrestlers in the roster (and maybe five to six interesting ones)

I don't think the ECW brand is given much of a chance by WWE. It might mean more if they tried to even things up by bringing back the ECW Television title or a Hardcore title, maybe even ECW Tag belts.

Obviously get some more talent in with that. I think it could really be saved by bringing Jericho back to ECW (much like they were gonna do with Benoit), coz if it carries on like this, they may as well scrap it.

SEX!

ok ok first of all ECW was a developmental brand for the wwe and wcw way before it was braught back as a seperate entity, and those of you who said it wasnt think back to when the wwe and wcw where stealing all of the ecw's guys and what happened most of them couldnt cut it because all there flaws where hidden, and sometimes they took guys who couldnt get over in the wwe or wcw and made them into stars, so dont hate them for doing the same thing now!, the only thing thats changed is that we need to give the newer guys whove come up on the brand a chance, and as for john morrison he has alot of heart and ability and is strong on the mic, so if anyone thinks that he didnt deserve the title was wrong, the only reason he got held back on raw was because there was nothing left for him to do after recieving the mid card belt, and all the malena back stage crap didnt do him any favours.

ECW in my opinion is getting better, the whole hardcore all the time thing cant get over on national tv, simple as, you cant think that by doing hardcore all the time is going to hel pthe brand get over it isnt, having cm punk.morrison, burke, dreamer and even stevie,thorne,mahoney work there asses off to make the brand better and put on star quality (you heard me) matches makes the brand something special to watch, now if you dont like it dont watch it but dont bash it if you havent seen it recently, they are doing a great job with the talent they have.

that being said the ecw title will be a world title one day assuming that the brand keeps going, i think the wwe needs to think more about seperating it from raw, smackdown and keeping it as its own entity, like when they first put the brand together, the reason it tanked after december to dismember was because heyman didnt think about the card, you cant do a brand only ppv if you dont have the right amount of talent, and you hide most of the card from the public as well so when it comes time for people to watch and think its a three hour long episode of ecw on sci fi with crappy matches and adverts for smaackdown on the show, you going to feel ripped off, the wwe had to do alot of damage control after that crappy ppv, so i dont believe hiring heyman back is the answer let the brand progress and bring in more talent more titles and keep it as its own entity, at the moment its one of my top three shows out of all three brands and im not just saying that its full of surprises and quality matches.

ok ok first of all ECW was a developmental brand for the wwe and wcw way before it was braught back as a seperate entity, and those of you who said it wasnt think back to when the wwe and wcw where stealing all of the ecw's guys and what happened most of them couldnt cut it because all there flaws where hidden, and sometimes they took guys who couldnt get over in the wwe or wcw and made them into stars, so dont hate them for doing the same thing now!.
Whoa whoa whoa . Ecw wasn't a development territory ever until this reincarnation;it was (more or less) a major independent fed. The talent that jumped to wcw were stolen, as heyman would say,being that wcw never compensated ecw in any way shape or form.As for the talent that made the jump to wwf mcmahon put Heyman on the payroll as compensation for taking his better talent.It's arguable about whether or not ecw became a dev territory.The duddleys said in a shoot interview that ecw was a dev territory but heyman never says that and it wasnt public knowledge (if it was) that it was a dev territory like how its iwc common knowledge OVW, FCW and the former DSW were/are wwe dev territories.Also think about would two rival companies have the same Dev Territory?

the only thing thats changed is that we need to give the newer guys whove come up on the brand a chance, and as for john morrison he has alot of heart and ability and is strong on the mic, so if anyone thinks that he didnt deserve the title was wrong, the only reason he got held back on raw was because there was nothing left for him to do after recieving the mid card belt, and all the malena back stage crap didnt do him any favours.
IMO (and many other's) the new ecw title is just as meaningless as the IC title. Morrison is a future star no question as is CM Punk
but with the title they ve held/hold meaning as much as the IC title neither will gain 'instant' main event credibility when/if they get moved to a different show.Look at Lashley. Lashley wasnt a credible contender when he was feuding with Cena for the wwe title.He made too big of a transition in terms of card level.The crowd was only behind him because they wanted to see cena lose and nothing more.

ECW in my opinion is getting better, the whole hardcore all the time thing cant get over on national tv, simple as, you cant think that by doing hardcore all the time is going to hel pthe brand get over it isnt,
Ecw ,back in the day before everyone left,had the best pure wrestling (Guererro,Malenko,Benoit,Jericho)good lucha libre (psycosis ,rey mysterio)in addition to the hardcore wrestling. Ecw now is like raw-lite.WWE style wrestling nothing different.the same shit you would see on raw.Old ecw was an alternative to wcw and wwe it had different styles unlike the ecw of today.[/QUOTE]

i think the wwe needs to think more about seperating it from raw, smackdown and keeping it as its own entity, like when they first put the brand together,
If by brand you mean old ecw then yes i agree with ya.It needs to be made different from being raw-lite.Maybe more 'pure' wrestling or luchal libre.
the reason it tanked after december to dismember was because heyman didnt think about the card,
that line right there pisses me off soooo bad. Do you even know what you're talking about? Most of Heyman's ideas got vetoed by mcmahon and his ecw writing staff so if you wanna blame anyone that disaster it was mcmahon.Heyman was crying at the end of that ppv because he knew what a shitfest it was,and what his beloved ecw was turning into via mcmahon.Heyman had an argument with Vince about all of that and was sent home by mcmahon i believe the tuesday after that ppv.

you cant do a brand only ppv if you dont have the right amount of talent, and you hide most of the card from the public as well so when it comes time for people to watch and think its a three hour long episode of ecw on sci fi with crappy matches and adverts for smaackdown on the show, you going to feel ripped off,
Tell that to vince.He used his ideas and his ecw writing staff's not heyman's. I will agree about the amount of any sort of established talent not being enough but i ve got one question: Since when did development territories do ppvs?
so i dont believe hiring heyman back is the answer let the brand progress and bring in more talent more titles and keep it as its own entity,

Heyman probably wouldnt want to come back. ever...even giving him like a 49% interest in the company (as a whole and i mean WWE) probably wouldnt lure him back.He probably hates vince with every ounce of his being.You say keep ecw as its own entity and i say make it it's own entity as like i said i really consider ecw raw-lite.

at the moment its one of my top three shows out of all three brands
That doesnt make any sense to me. Out of the 3 brands that have 1 show each (correct me if i'm wrong i havent seen a 'b' show for any brand in a few years.I dont think they have them and if they do they are probably syndicated and stations around me dont carry them) 3 x 1= 3 shows how is it not gonna be in your top 3 wwe related shows?

First off let me say that ECW is my favorite brand running currently. Its the only wrestling show I can watch without leaving to do something else. One hour is perfect.

Now, the ECW title should not be considered a World Title unil the WWE stops crapping all over it. The last PPV had the RAW women's title on after a two minute ECW title match. That shows you what WWE thinks of their ECW brand. They could at least make it seem like world title, hell put it on after the World Heavyweight match sometimes, (the matches are better) don't have it open the PPV.

Now time for my screwed up input. I think sometimes the WWE purposely holds ECW back because they know Punk, Dreamer, Burke, Richards, Thorn, and Morrison can put on better matches than Batista. They put Punk/Burke to open the PPV then changed Punk/Dreamer, which could have been second to last at No Mercy behind the Last Man Standing Match, to Punk/Big V which had no chance of delivering. They didn't want the ECW match to beat the Smackdown Main Event. Hell give Punk/Dreamer a Last Man Standing Match and it would beat the RAW Main Event.

What I'm saying is if the WWE keeps doing what they're doing, than the ECW title should not be considered a World Title.

Punk/Dreamer would EASILY be main event capable. Especially if it was a Last Man Standing match. These are the type of matches WWE is lacking to become what it once was.

A big reason as to why WWE is holding ECW back is because of lack of competition. They bought the competition out. To all the TNA fans out there, it's alright, but doesn't give WWE the competition Nitro did. Thunder was pretty weak, but Nitro was enough to make Raw squirm a bit.

By this time next year it'll be interesting who is where.

Punk, Burke to Raw?
Thorn, V to SD?

ECW as a developmental for good?

I don't believe the ECW title should be considered a legit World Title for the fact that ECW is nothing more than a minor league to RAW and Smackdown! Its pretty much one step up from OVW and FCW. This is the place were either your character is fine tuned before you move to RAW or Smackdown!, or your charcater is repacked without you losing any TV time. As of now until ECW becomes a legit Brand and can have more than 1 match on PPV it will be nothing more than the highest developmental level in WWE. The only reason Big Show and RVD wore the title were to have people tune in to watch familiar main event names as champion. Can you imagine if ECW relaunched and Test, Hardcore Holly, or even CM Punk had been the first champion. It would be cancelled by now. They tried to bring in big names from the other brands every week to battle on ECW with the RVD and Show to draw in ratings and to me it worked all the way up til December to Remember. After Lashley won the title it seemed as if the WWE said screw ECW. So if they say screw it, so do I!

I don't believe the ECW title should be considered a legit World Title for the fact that ECW is nothing more than a minor league to RAW and Smackdown! Its pretty much one step up from OVW and FCW. This is the place were either your character is fine tuned before you move to RAW or Smackdown!, or your charcater is repacked without you losing any TV time. As of now until ECW becomes a legit Brand and can have more than 1 match on PPV it will be nothing more than the highest developmental level in WWE. The only reason Big Show and RVD wore the title were to have people tune in to watch familiar main event names as champion. Can you imagine if ECW relaunched and Test, Hardcore Holly, or even CM Punk had been the first champion. It would be cancelled by now. They tried to bring in big names from the other brands every week to battle on ECW with the RVD and Show to draw in ratings and to me it worked all the way up til December to Remember. After Lashley won the title it seemed as if the WWE said screw ECW. So if they say screw it, so do I!

i just dont understand why the tna title gets pwi status with only two champions, and the ecw title does not, yes the title is farly new but it has a long legacy, and the brand itself is really entertaining and fun i just dont understand it, the title is also legit, we have had a bucket load of credible champions (bobby lashly excluded), maybe with time they may give the belt the world title status it deserves

The TNA title has a legit lineage to the NWA title, which I believe hasn't lost it's NWA world title status. The TNA title is defended more and has better competition than the ECW title, take your pick.

The ECW title is nothing more then a glorified hardcore title, that's it. It is nothing more then a midcard pay per view filler. It's a rookie league, with a bunch of young guys on a C show. If you don't think it's a C show, then ask the WWE why there is only one match from the brand each month stuck at the beginning of the card.

How about not worrying about what PWI thinks about it's world title status, and wait until the WWE treats it like a world title before arguing this point. John Morrison was a joke, Bobby Lashley was a joke wiht this belt, and McMahon, come on, the title has been meaningless since Big Show lost it in December.

The TNA title has a legit lineage to the NWA title, which I believe hasn't lost it's NWA world title status. The TNA title is defended more and has better competition than the ECW title, take your pick.

The ECW title is nothing more then a glorified hardcore title, that's it. It is nothing more then a midcard pay per view filler. It's a rookie league, with a bunch of young guys on a C show. If you don't think it's a C show, then ask the WWE why there is only one match from the brand each month stuck at the beginning of the card.

How about not worrying about what PWI thinks about it's world title status, and wait until the WWE treats it like a world title before arguing this point. John Morrison was a joke, Bobby Lashley was a joke wiht this belt, and McMahon, come on, the title has been meaningless since Big Show lost it in December.

we agree alot but i dont agree with this, i feel that the wwe are underusing the title, but its not a glorified hardcore title, the title needs better competition and imo vince gave the title meaning, he was the only heel to ever get bood for wearing the belt and ever make guys like me and you pay atention at the fact that he was defending the title, yeah the brand is pretty small but it will grow into something big just wait and see

I'm not doubting that ECW will grow. Hell I think it is easily the most enjoyable of the three brands in the WWE. It's just that the WWE doesn't utilize it properly. They use it to develop young talent, and pretty much it's a glorified minor league for Smackdown and Raw. I would love to see more of the younger or under utilized talent, like a Gregory Helms, come in and be able to carry that brand.

And with Vince, I enjoy Vince, but it's sad that the title can't carry weight on it's own without having a 60 year old man carry the belt for two months to bring heat to it.

I'm not doubting that ECW will grow. Hell I think it is easily the most enjoyable of the three brands in the WWE. It's just that the WWE doesn't utilize it properly. They use it to develop young talent, and pretty much it's a glorified minor league for Smackdown and Raw. I would love to see more of the younger or under utilized talent, like a Gregory Helms, come in and be able to carry that brand.

And with Vince, I enjoy Vince, but it's sad that the title can't carry weight on it's own without having a 60 year old man carry the belt for two months to bring heat to it.

because there isnt a credible body in ecw that can carry the belt and it devalues the brand, punk is excellent if the wwe let him do his thing, big daddy v is a joke, morrison is a man using horman drugs that where induced in pregnancy which is nasty, and the only guys i see as possible contenders would be knox (who doesnt get any air time), richards when he used properly, thorn, dreamer, burke, there is literally no one else on the roster, the miz is a joke and always will be..

the belt is still young and so is the brand but i still believe that it needs the world title status do to its history it even dates back to the nwa much like the tna title

Even back in the day the ECW title was the number 3 title in wrestling .. if u look at the past ecw champions they were never more than US/IC/cruiserweight Champions in WCW/WWE.. You cant crap on MOrrison and Punk being Champion especially when that same belt has been held by the likes of Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible, Shane Douglas, who never got past the undercard in the other 2 federations( except Rhyno And Raven who became TNA Champions).. so while the ECw might be the 3rd biggest championship in WWE its not the 3rd biggest in all of wrestling. If you're gonna mention the number 3 title in wrestling its the TNA World heavyweight title

We have to remember that there was also a time when the WHC meant more than the WWE title During the HHH/RAW era ... now the WWE title means more because it is on Raw again.. The ECW title will never change shows and will be what it is and thats a 3rd tier title..Not to mention that the The contenders and title holders for both the US/IC belts( Kennedy , Hardy's, MVP) are bigger stars than the past 2 ECW Champions

the ecw title is used to push midcarders from their current level to main evet level it is used as a test if the champion succeeds and is successful then he is moved to smackdown or if hes really lucky raw and then made ic/us champ or have a fued with a famous former world champ where he will be tested again

Right now - the answer to this question is an obvious NO.

Despite the talent level of the current champion CM Punk, there is simply not enough talent around him to warrant giving this title equal status with the WWE and World Championship.

Tonight's ECW show is a prime example.

Jaime Noble is coming off of two weeks where he is annihilated in comical fashion, by both Batista (World Champion) and The Undertaker (former champion; No.1 Contender).

Tonight, Noble looked like the near equal to CM Punk in a competative, entertaining match. This not only made Nobe look good - but it made the current ECW Champion CM Punk - look bad. He struggled in a tough match to a guy both Batista and Undertaker beat within 60 seconds.

I know there are those that love to see guys like Noble and Punk go at it, but this isn't ROH or a meaningless indie match. It's on national WWETV, where these guys build up their reputation and in theory - a competative match or even a feud between these two does absolutely nothing for the ECW Title or its champion.

Even putting Punk in a Triple Threat with The Miz (another former SD comic relief guy) at Survivor Series is an insult. What's next? Punk vs Funaki at Royal Rumble for the ECW belt?

But of course, there isn't much more competition in ECW, other than Punk vs Morrison Part 3,259.

Why not put Punk in a Survivor Series match vs a RAW or Smackdown guy as a special challenge? Rather than stick Mr Kennedy is a pointless Triple H/Umaga SS blowoff - why not have Kennedy/Punk for the ECW Title?

There has to be something better you can do with this guy than pairing him up with Jaime Noble or The Miz.

With ECW given at least another 12 month reprieve, they desperately need to add talent to this show if they're going to consider the ECW Title a legit World title, because right now - it's hardly a step above the IC Title.

Yes, it is a world title. tho i consider the ECW title more or less a mid-carder belt. Kinda like a cross between TV/IC belt. It would have been nice if they would have left it more like the old ECW IMO. Because then its more like a Hardcore/IC/TV belt that holds true to what ECW was/or could have been. Plus that gives the younger talent the ability to shine and we would have some real matchs for once on TV. Rather than HHH/Cena shoved down are throats every week. But then again we all know Vince doesnt see ECW as viable with only hardcore matchs....but if someone did it once before someone will do it again. Thats the nature of the wrestling business....you just got to do what you think will sell tickets.

Yes, it is a world title. tho i consider the ECW title more or less a mid-carder belt. Kinda like a cross between TV/IC belt. It would have been nice if they would have left it more like the old ECW IMO. Because then its more like a Hardcore/IC/TV belt that holds true to what ECW was/or could have been. Plus that gives the younger talent the ability to shine and we would have some real matchs for once on TV. Rather than HHH/Cena shoved down are throats every week. But then again we all know Vince doesnt see ECW as viable with only hardcore matchs....but if someone did it once before someone will do it again. Thats the nature of the wrestling business....you just got to do what you think will sell tickets.

the problem with the title is the roster simple as, the belt has a credible history and people should acknowledge that i just think that we as the iwc need to see the title for what it is and guys like morrison and punk for who they are main eventers!, ECW is still towering above tna (btw which is a two hour show) in the ratings and it has guys like angle and cage on it and even now booker t, ECW will be a mainstay and the title will be here to stay, so as far as im concerned ecw title is a legit world title regardless of who owns the company and the name

the problem with the title is the roster simple as, the belt has a credible history and people should acknowledge that i just think that we as the iwc need to see the title for what it is and guys like morrison and punk for who they are main eventers!, ECW is still towering above tna (btw which is a two hour show) in the ratings and it has guys like angle and cage on it and even now booker t, ECW will be a mainstay and the title will be here to stay, so as far as im concerned ecw title is a legit world title regardless of who owns the company and the name

I agree the roster isnt deep, but thats my point, they need to build talant from somewhere seeing as the HHH's and HBK's dont want to build any new talant. ECW can be good but they really need to make us care about the wrestlers on the show first.....then build a champ from there. I think that if RVD hadnt screwed up there they could have used him to build new wrestlers. Hell at this point id like to see Ball's or Tommy Dreamer with it just so we can have a wrestler with some back story to them. also IMO Steve Richards is really underused...he has good mic skills he can take a bump and if used right could be a good mid-card wrestler. They had a chance when he split from Victoria on Raw a few years ago..but nothing ever came of it...they just moved him to Heat and that was it!

Even back in the day the ECW title was the number 3 title in wrestling .. if u look at the past ecw champions they were never more than US/IC/cruiserweight Champions in WCW/WWE.. You cant crap on MOrrison and Punk being Champion especially when that same belt has been held by the likes of Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible, Shane Douglas, who never got past the undercard in the other 2 federations( except Rhyno And Raven who became TNA Champions).. so while the ECw might be the 3rd biggest championship in WWE its not the 3rd biggest in all of wrestling. If you're gonna mention the number 3 title in wrestling its the TNA World heavyweight title

How is the tna title the third biggest title in the industry, if your talking the nwa title then i may agree due to the fact that it was the main title in tna, the tna title has only been held by two people both with short reigns i may add, the title needs a long run with a credible champion before anyone should even give it the third biggest title status, just because tna is the so called number two company i dont see the brand justifies the titles status!

I agree the roster isnt deep, but thats my point, they need to build talant from somewhere seeing as the HHH's and HBK's dont want to build any new talant. ECW can be good but they really need to make us care about the wrestlers on the show first.....then build a champ from there. I think that if RVD hadnt screwed up there they could have used him to build new wrestlers. Hell at this point id like to see Ball's or Tommy Dreamer with it just so we can have a wrestler with some back story to them. also IMO Steve Richards is really underused...he has good mic skills he can take a bump and if used right could be a good mid-card wrestler. They had a chance when he split from Victoria on Raw a few years ago..but nothing ever came of it...they just moved him to Heat and that was it!

Thts why ecw needs a number two championship, they need that title to push the undercard guys and make them ready for the ecw title, richards has talent and mic skills and he needs something like that to get him where he belongs in midcard, but is getting others pushed before him and its coz he dosnt have the so called it factor and that for me is sad

again the ecw championship should be considered a world title due to one reason and one reason only, it is around the waist of one of the worlds best wrestlers that is cm punk

IT definitely is a world title, but i feel the titlist should defend it in really tough matches with stipulations, not just "wrestling matches". Also, ECW needs another championship to give value to the ECW title. Hardcore title??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back