Let's stop referring to the ECW Title as a "World Title". It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
PROBLEM:
Since the 2001 inception of the WCW roster into the WWE, the company has had 2 world titles, for a few years they managed through without tarnishing the status of being a world champion, however in 2006, WWE decided to create a third brand which would later be used as a televised development ground, for this brand a 3rd "world' championship was Re-introduced, the ECW "World" championship. We don't acknowledge it as a world title but Wikipedia posters, most WWE fans and TNA think it is. So far many have held this championship, but the fact is WWE does not treat it like a world championship (never headlined a pay-per-view, is defended in the mid-card) and its brand is for development, its talent is young. Seeing the list of champions it really baffles me that former "World" champions like Chavo Guerrero, and Matt Hardy are treated the way they are today, plus its also hard to believe that former "World" champions Mark Henry, Jack Swagger and John Morrison have to work their way from the bottom up all over again. It really takes away from the status of World champion.

Solution:
It might sound stupid, but considering the fact that ECW (Entertainment Championship Wrestling) is obviously the #3 brand, I suggest scrapping the ECW belt (WHAT!!?? :wtf:). Dont freak, I thought about this, replace it with the ECW TV belt (Huh? :confused:), think about it, its not a world title but it was almost as important back in ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) plus it doesn't tarnish the world championship status.

Simulating:
Say ECW Champ Christian, is in a feud with World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk, both belts on the line and Jericho and Show interfere and screw Christian, Punk then trashes the belt (Like the incident with the Women's belt on WCW) to spite the fans and ECW(E for Entertainment) needs a new #1 title, bring in the ECW TV Title, it can still be referred as the ECW Championship expect its not a world title hence it makes sense that anybody, young or old, veteran or rookie, can win it.

Conclusion:
Sorry the post is so long I just wanted to be clear, don't be afraid to let me know if my idea is good or stupid (I implore you to let me know, please!), thanks for reading :).

Side Note:
Want a mid-card belt? Use the European belt, I know its an under-card belt but with all the Brits in ECW(Regal, Sheamus, Burchill, Kozlov and Zeke) it could work.

The title is fine as it is, other than its craptacular champion Christian, and there is no need for another title on ECW. I can be called the world title all it wants, but we all know its the middle card title and will continue to be that way.

Ay! Sea la madre! To me the title started to go downhill at WM 23, it was the highest profile match it was in and it wasn't even defended, but that's beside the point, my question was if replacing the ECW "World" Championship with the ECW Television Championship is a good idea or not. In no point of the first post did I ask when the belt lost its prestige. There's a seperate thread for that I believe, so please stick to the topic.

Thanks.

The title is fine for what it is doing. It is the tool to boost someone up and into the other two brands in Raw and SmackDown! It's fine where it's at and it shouldn't be changed period! 'Nough said.

Having an ECW Television Championship instead of the ECW Championship makes less sense. If there's one title there at the moment and it's supposed to represent the brand, then why add "television" to the title's name? I stick with my stance that the ECW Championship is a world title competed for by mid-carders. And, especially mid-carders that have worked hard over the years and will never get a top world title in their possession. This is perfect for them (ex. Matt Hardy, Mark Henry, Tommy Dreamer, Chavo Guerrero). Of course there's an exception, as guys like Jack Swagger and John Morrison are potential stars. CM Punk is the only one that became a WHC afterwards. The ECW title as it stands is above the US title/IC title, but below the WWE title/WHC title. Either just keep the ECW Championship where it is right now or don't have a title on the brand at all.

It's fine as is. It'd good for Christian to hold it at the moment.. though when the draft happens, need someone new and different to hold it. I see him going to Smackdown, need some new guys there.. just no one in this current ECW can go for it except for Regal... I'm surprised Zack Ryder's getting a chance..

Zack has been impressive as of late and if the young guys are going to get a push ever, it better be on the developmental show in ECW. The guy has potential and him getting a shot against Christian was a good idea. Zack and all the young guys there need that environment if they ever want to get over with the crowd. He looked good and I expect bright things from him. The ECW Championship is used to elevate the young guys to the other brands and Christian has done a great job getting people over on that brand and he's done a great job as the ECW Champion.

I got to agree with Def Agent for the most part. Bring back the European title!! But the only reason the ECW title is a mid level card match is because they DO NOT put ppl who have put their time in and deserve a title like Shelton Benjamin. Plus if they want to build up stars use the ones that deserve it like Paul Burchill, Kozlov, Jackson, and drop the character of Golddust and let him be Dustin Rhodes. Another thing DO NOT trade someone the second they become semi successful like Kofi, Bourne. Also Bring some Mid level carders Like Carlito, Masters, Hass, Hawkins, Finley(someone who can hold the ECW Title). The take any possible talent from them and give them nothing. By doing what I suggested they can make ECW respectable and possibly extendit to two hours. Also take off superstars from thurs day make it saturday early afternoon like the old days.

The ECW brand as a whole should be seen as a seperate entity from Raw and Smackdown, ECW is essentially the developmental place and the title is essentially used to see how well a particular wrestler is before moving to Raw or Smackdown onto bigger and better things

I got to agree with Def Agent for the most part. Bring back the European title!! But the only reason the ECW title is a mid level card match is because they DO NOT put ppl who have put their time in and deserve a title like Shelton Benjamin. Plus if they want to build up stars use the ones that deserve it like Paul Burchill, Kozlov, Jackson, and drop the character of Golddust and let him be Dustin Rhodes. Another thing DO NOT trade someone the second they become semi successful like Kofi, Bourne. Also Bring some Mid level carders Like Carlito, Masters, Hass, Hawkins, Finley(someone who can hold the ECW Title). The take any possible talent from them and give them nothing. By doing what I suggested they can make ECW respectable and possibly extendit to two hours. Also take off superstars from thurs day make it saturday early afternoon like the old days.

He never said bring back the European title he said bring back the TV title. Why do Kozlov and Jackson deserve a title. They haven't put their time in and would be terribly boring champions. They're better off being dumb boring bodyguards for Regal. They trade off those guys like Bourne and Kofi because they have already been developed on the C brand and are ready to move in WWE's eyes. Its not supposed to be a third competitive brand its an on-screen developmental brand nothing more. Superstars is on multiple days a week so taking it off Thursday is stupid. Its on twice Thursday and once Sunday its on enough days.

well if u really want the ecw world championship to not be a "world" title then just drop the word from the name. just start calling it the ecw championship. anyone who actually watchs the wwe knows that it is not on the same level as the wwe and heavyweight titles anyway so a name change wouldnt be that big of a deal

Since the ECW championship came back in 2006 - I've been excited to see who obtains it. RVD holding both the ECW and WWE gold was legendary - I thought it really put the title over. And we've seen some really deserving guys capture it, in brutal fashion might I add. The matches for it have always been pretty solid - yet people don't want to look at it as a world championship. I like the idea of putting another title on ECW - if anything it'd put the world back in ECW(world)championship. Plus it'd be great to see a feud between the 3 mid-card titles. They'd have to add another hour to the show - making it just as good as SD! psh could be better than Raw if they keep up with this bullshit celebrity host program. Although the ratings aren't doing bad eh? So I guess people really are goobers.

It isn't called the ECW World Championship, it's called the ECW Championship and has been for about two years, since they stopped giving it to legitimate World Title contenders. This is because it is a championship that is defended on ECW between ECW wrestlers. This is a classic example of ECW fans moaning about how the ECW name has been tarnished for no reason. This wouldn't be happening if ECW hadn't tarnished its own name by going out of business while owing it's performers a lot of money. Pau Heyman didn't have to sell the rights to the name, remember that when you blame Vince McMahon for tarnishing a dead product.

It isn't called the ECW World Championship, it's called the ECW Championship and has been for about two years, since they stopped giving it to legitimate World Title contenders. This is because it is a championship that is defended on ECW between ECW wrestlers. This is a classic example of ECW fans moaning about how the ECW name has been tarnished for no reason. This wouldn't be happening if ECW hadn't tarnished its own name by going out of business while owing it's performers a lot of money. Pau Heyman didn't have to sell the rights to the name, remember that when you blame Vince McMahon for tarnishing a dead product.

Yes, i believe the ECW WORLD Championship was dropped when John Morrison (at the time johnny nitro) won the title in 07. Now im not saying just because he won, that means its not a world title anymore. What im saying is that when John won it, he and WWE as whole stopped calling "ECW World Championship" and started to refer it as the "ECW Championship".

Anyways, on the topic, no we shouldn't do that beacuse, the ECW title represents ECW. Why add television to its name?
On the secondary title discussion, European title would be fine by me, but we could also use the Hardcore title, and bring back some rememberances to the Original ECW, or the Light Heavyweight title. I would have said the cruiserweight but, looking at the recent history of it, i think the Light Heavyweight will be able to be introduced in a "higher light" or higher prestige because some fans today will remember the swoggle-CW title reign. Most young fans don't remember the LH title.

The title is fine as it is, other than its craptacular champion Christian, and there is no need for another title on ECW. I can be called the world title all it wants, but we all know its the middle card title and will continue to be that way.

Totally agree.

It's a brand specific belt, nothing more. All it means is that you're the champion on that show, no different from the WHC or WWEC. Only the latter two carry higher prestige historically.

Yes, the ECW Title is a brand specific belt, but with that in mind, the next person to charge after that beltwill probably be Vance Archer. The ECW Title has been used to launch "new" talent onto RAW or SMACKDOWN (not counting the Dreamer reign) and Archer will probably be the one that may even be able to bring it back to "World" Recognition....stranger things have happened.

Imo, the problem is basically that WWE doesn't know what to do with the title. One minute Matt Hardy was "The first Hardy brother to win a major world title", the next he's going to win MitB and win his "first World Championship reign". One minute Mark Henry is a former World Champion, the next he's competing in a tournament for people who've never held a world title.

WWE needs to decide for good whether the ECW title is a World Championship or not, then this kind of question won't have to arise.

WWE needs to decide for good whether the ECW title is a World Championship or not, then this kind of question won't have to arise.

They've decided. It isn't a world title, and WWE hasn't pretended it is in a couple of years. The problem is that they can't quite come out and make an announcement

"Now Hear This! The ECW title is not a World title, it is a Brand title. We are pretending that ECW is a separate promotion from Smackdown and Raw, sort of like TNA or ROH or New Japan or Jerry Lawler's Memphis Wrestling, just owned by WWE. The ECW Champion is the champion of that brand, but is not a World champion and should not be considered as such."

That would pull the curtain back way too far, and not even in a way that would be momentarily exciting like a lot of Attitude Era shoots, worked shoots and general exposing of the business. Not to mention bringing into question how you even have two equal World titles, which isn't a question they want us to think about.

All they can do is keep acting as if the ECW title is not and has never been a world title until we get used to that. Actually, scratch that--they could also, in a reasonable-in-kayfabe way, have the SmackDown GM and, er, Raw locker room leaders verbally run down the ECW title in interactions with ex-ECW champions. A former ECW champ cuts a promo and lists the "ECW World Title" as part of his resume, and gets cut off by Teddy Long or HHH and ridiculed a bit for hyping up the ECW title. Long or HHH could classify the ECW title as a nice accomplishment, on the level of the US or IC titles.

That would be something that would get WWE's point across while still being "deniable" by ECW. ECW GM Tiffany doesn't have to agree with Teddy Long or HHH--TL or HHH was just stating his opinion, he doesn't speak for Vince, etc.

Other questions they'd rather we didn't think about:

Was the ECW title ever a world title? If so, exactly when did it stop being a world title? I would say that when RVD dropped the WWE or World strap (whichever it was) but kept the ECW strap, that sort of chicanery with a newly minted title would be the point where the ECW title loses "World Title" status.

Maybe WWE believes that the breaking point is when the title was vacated when Lashley was drafted. That doesn't happen to the World/WWE titles.

The problem is that they can't quite come out and make an announcement

Exactly, and that is what hurts the product. Sometimes the ECW title is a World title and sometimes it isn't; WTF are we suppose to think? Mark Henry, Matt Hardy and Tommy Dreamer are former World Champions when it suits WWE and they aren't when it suits WWE for them not to be. All that does is make the ECW title look like shit. At least if they came out and said it's not a world title, it would make it consistent and level it to be on par with the US and Intercontinental belts, rather than being the Jumping Bean Championship.

Sometimes the ECW title is a World title and sometimes it isn't; WTF are we suppose to think? Mark Henry, Matt Hardy and Tommy Dreamer are former World Champions when it suits WWE and they aren't when it suits WWE for them not to be.

Wait, this is a question of fact. When has WWE or their announcers called Henry or Matt Hardy or Dreamer or Swagger a former World Champion? Because I think they've been pretty consistent for the last year-and-a-half, two years in carefully not saying "ECW World Championship"

I just thought of something--are the ECW announcers calling them Former World Champions? Because I'm pretty sure that the Raw and Smackdown announcers aren't.

Wait, this is a question of fact. When has WWE or their announcers called Henry or Matt Hardy or Dreamer or Swagger a former World Champion? Because I think they've been pretty consistent for the last year-and-a-half, two years in carefully not saying "ECW World Championship"

I just thought of something--are the ECW announcers calling them Former World Champions? Because I'm pretty sure that the Raw and Smackdown announcers aren't.

Matt Hardy was definitely referred to as a World Champion during his feud with Jeff earlier this year because he was referred to as "The first Hardy to win a world championship."

Not sure about Swagger. Henry was at some point, offhandedly, referred to as a 'former world champion', but I couldn't say when for sure, I'd have to look it up which I can't particularly be bothered with at this precise moment in time. Dreamer has been referred to as a 'former world champion' - c.f. the tournament a couple of years ago on SD which was open to former World or United States Champions - but he was a former ECW champion long before ECW came under the WWE banner, so that may be what they're considering there.

I think the last episode of Raw solidified that the ECW title is not a world championship. The only way to be in the BBR qualifying matches was to never have been a world champion or even contended for a world championship. Then Chavo, Swagger, Henry were all in the qualifying matches. Also, on the Raw Rebound when The Body mentioned that the winner gets a shot for a world title, a picture of only the WHC and the WWE championships were shown

The ECW Championship has not been considered a "World" Heavyweight Championship since it was reintroduced in WWE. I'm assuming that is one of the reasons that they redesigned the belt, as the old title was considered a World Heavyweight Championship and the belt itself said "World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion."

PWI doesn't consider it a World Title, and that's kind of the most recognized benchmark in wrestling.

WWE don't consider it a world title. They don't refer to Kane as a 2 time world champion. They don't refer to John Morrison as a world champion. They only call CM Punk a 3 time world champion. WWE doesn't think of the ECW championship as a world title, and nor does anyone here.
It's an upper midcard title. It's used to help young guys be elevated to the next level (CM Punk, JoMo, Swagger) or it's used so veterans can help young guys get over (Kane, Chavo, Big Show.)
And I'm pretty sure no one refers to it as the ECW world title. I know that WWE were trying to push it as a world title when it was first re-introduced. But I think they've given up on that by now. And anyway, I'm pretty sure PWI hasn't considered it a world title since the original ECW, so stop getting annoyed over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back