Santino's Finisher - The Cobra

#SAWFT

Pre-Show Stalwart
Okay, we've all enjoyed a good cobra from time to time. But now Santino is the US champion, does anyone feel like Santino needs to get rid of the Cobra? Maybe as a signature or something, but not to finish people off?

Would you change the cobra to a different finisher? If so, what to?

I would hope they do have him become a real wrestler again. The cobra finisher is just a slap in the face to pro wrestling (especially as a finisher)
The guy is super talented wrestler and should be used as such.

We all know Santino has great technical ability - see his early career footage, if in doubt - i think he needs to add a submission hold to his arsenal. A figure four or even an anaconda choke.

The latter might even be renamed the "cobra choke" for continuity purposes

Why would they have him change it? The Rock managed to become one of the greatest superstars of all time with a run around basic elbow drop. Foley's popularity began to soar when he started using a sock puppet modification to the Mandible Claw. I'm sure Cobras are selling like hotcakes on WWEShop.com.

This isn't actual wrestling. It doesn't matter if he does a damn fireman's carry or full-nelson into a surboard triple suplex. It's entertainment. The Cobra is pretty damn entertaining, and I love the run that Santino is getting at the moment.

No.

You can make any move a finisher if people will sell it and if it wins you matches. Hogan used a basic legdrop, Flair used a basic figure four, Steamboat used a basic cross body. However, those moves have won multiple championships each. It's not the move that gets over. it's the person doing the move that gets over. You can use any move you want as long as it gets you wins. The people will accept it if it works.

Honestly, the cobra is huge. When santino gets out the cobrs, the crowd goes wild. That being said, I think that santino should keep the cobra, but also have a second finishing move to use when the cobra misses sometimes. It could even be a submission, but also maybe a leadup to the cobra. Just the cobra is sort of unbeleivable, and another finisher to use in some matches would be good for him. Also, the cobra could be a move that he uses after matches when he beats a heel, kind of a celebration move

......aslong as moves like The Five Knuckle Shuffel, The Worm, Hogan's Leg Drop, The Peoples Elbow, Jerry Lawlers fist drop from the 2nd rope, The Boom Drop and Flair's SIGNATURE Backhand Chops are recognized moves in the WWE then The Cobra is absolutly allowed in Professional Wrestling.

I dont understand how you can think it's a slap to the face of wrestling when Sgt Slaughter had his infamous ATOMIC NOOGIE.

If you want to hate on Santino, go for something else......because The Cobra looks a billion more times more effective than the Mandible Claw/Socko.

lately i thought his finisher was the roll up, his big wins lately have been with that move most of the time, and i agree, whats wrong with the cobra? most people know that wrestlings finish is pre determined, so whats wrong with having a move that gets the crowd on its feet (and probably will sell an ass load of merch) rather then a power move that nobody cares about? look at lots of the current talents finishers, very feuw get the crowd reaction that the cobra does. if its not broke, dont fix it.

Credit to Santino that the cobra is even over... because it has to be one of the most ridiculous moves of all time... let alone being a finish as well.

Of course it would help the Cobra a lot if the announcers would sell it's impact better, like saying it's a particular nerve hold or ancient move where if he hits it in just the right spot, it immobilizes his opponent.

Kinda like the Mandible Claw. That was a ridiculous move, and when they first proposed it as a finish for Foley, the first thought was 'why wouldn't I just bite down when you stick your fingers in my mouth'? The answer to that was it was a nerve hold that immobilized the victim so they couldn't simply bite down, and that's how the move was put over by the announcers. In the end, the Mandible Claw became one of the biggest finishes of it's time... even before they added Mr. Socko to it.

Brian Adias had a similar finish in the old World Class territory. His 'Asian Spike' was simply a thumb to the throat, but it was put over by the announcers as a devestating strike that left opponents immobile, and the guy had the biggest run of his life using that finish.

I don't recall ever hearing them do this for the Cobra, so to me it just comes off as hokey. If Lawler (as the face commentator) could just start putting over the effects of the Cobra more, I think it would do a lot to establish Santino as a bigger threat, instead of how he is now, as a guy that you simply do not expect to win, and is always the guy who scores the big upset when he does.

Credit to Santino that the cobra is even over... because it has to be one of the most ridiculous moves of all time... let alone being a finish as well.

Of course it would help the Cobra a lot if the announcers would sell it's impact better, like saying it's a particular nerve hold or ancient move where if he hits it in just the right spot, it immobilizes his opponent.

Kinda like the Mandible Claw. That was a ridiculous move, and when they first proposed it as a finish for Foley, the first thought was 'why wouldn't I just bite down when you stick your fingers in my mouth'? The answer to that was it was a nerve hold that immobilized the victim so they couldn't simply bite down, and that's how the move was put over by the announcers. In the end, the Mandible Claw became one of the biggest finishes of it's time... even before they added Mr. Socko to it.

Brian Adias had a similar finish in the old World Class territory. His 'Asian Spike' was simply a thumb to the throat, but it was put over by the announcers as a devestating strike that left opponents immobile, and the guy had the biggest run of his life using that finish.

I don't recall ever hearing them do this for the Cobra, so to me it just comes off as hokey. If Lawler (as the face commentator) could just start putting over the effects of the Cobra more, I think it would do a lot to establish Santino as a bigger threat, instead of how he is now, as a guy that you simply do not expect to win, and is always the guy who scores the big upset when he does.

I think that's what it is.

During Zack Ryder's heel run, he once took a Cobra to the legs and acted paralyzed for a good portion of the match.

Even when Santino is getting squashed by a main-eventer, or upper card wrestler, his opponent goes out of the way to counter it or avoid it. If the Cobra weren't such a good finisher, the more established guys would just straight up take it and no-sell it.

The Cobra in effect is not much different to the Samoan Spike that Umaga used recently. Instead of a heavily taped thumb to the throat it is more or less a jab to the throat using the tips of four fingers and a thumb... how that wouldn't apparently hurt is beyond me. It would in reality be a lot more painful than a Stone Cold Stunner which is probably the most recognised finishing move of all time.

I did quite like it when he used the Cobra/school boy combo as it did sell the move, and Santino as someone who could get an effective and easy win. Getting jabbed in the throat to temporarily wind you and getting rolled up onto the floor could easily subdue anybody for 3 seconds. Thats all it takes.

Matt Striker tried to put it over, if I remember correctly. but he was more or less just mocked for it.

/sighs I miss you Matt Striker.

and Honestly, I don't mind the Cobra as a finisher either. If you think of it, what is the cobra but a quick strike to the throat? A little hokey with the snake sleeve, I admit but it's effective. Get punched in the throat and see how easy it is to continue as normal. *edit* and yes, remyx did beat me to this point.*

But I'll agree with the fact that announcers do need to put finishers like this over. The reason in my mind that moves like the Boom Drop, or The Worm (even if I admit I did enjoy the worm, but that's besides the point) and Hogan's leg drop were so...for a lack of a better word; popular was because of how the announcers sold them.

You know what you have if the announcers don't connect or plug or sell (whatever you wanna call it) with a superstar's finisher? The Mizard-of-Oz. Exactly

Matt Striker tried to put it over, if I remember correctly. but he was more or less just mocked for it.

/sighs I miss you Matt Striker.

and Honestly, I don't mind the Cobra as a finisher either. If you think of it, what is the cobra but a quick strike to the throat? A little hokey with the snake sleeve, I admit but it's effective. Get punched in the throat and see how easy it is to continue as normal.

I didn`t realize that, but it doesn`t surprise me that he`d get mocked for it. That just seems to be the way on the announce table these days.

Yeah in reality it should come across as a more impactful move. Like you said, a punch to the throat is pretty effective in a fight. They just seem to do so much to mask that, and have it come across as something hokey instead.

The cobra doesn't need to go anywhere, if the Samoan spike can knock a guy out so can 4/5 fingers to the throat with force. Plus it adds to Santino's character, I shout COBRA ever time he does it lol.

I think that's what it is.

During Zack Ryder's heel run, he once took a Cobra to the legs and acted paralyzed for a good portion of the match.

Even when Santino is getting squashed by a main-eventer, or upper card wrestler, his opponent goes out of the way to counter it or avoid it. If the Cobra weren't such a good finisher, the more established guys would just straight up take it and no-sell it.

If you watched last night's Smackdown, the same thing happened to Dolph Ziggler. He tried to climb the cage and Santino "cobra'd" his hands and Dolph acted like he couldn't do anything with his hands afterwards. so yes, I think it's supposed to be hitting a pressure point that paralyzes you for a while. Go watch Xena: Warrior Princess and see what it's like. She basically did the Cobra, hitting all the points. :)

I like the Cobra, I don't see anything wrong with it. There's been lots of ridiculous moves throughout wrestling, the leg drop being one. Everyone does a leg drop, but oh when Hulk Hogan doesn't it, it must be so powerful that he wins matches. Plus, I'm sure it'd hurt like crazy and probably knock you down if you get stabbed in the throat by someone's hands. So no, he doesn't need to change the finisher. It fits him perfectly. Mankind does Socko, I don't see anything too different there, except he puts the nasty sock in ones mouth.

The Cobra needs to stay. His presentation of it isn't different than a lot of finishing moves. Instead of doing a stupid dance and a hand motion he makes a funny face and does a hand motion.

Any changes they make to his in ring work should come slowly. What he's doing now has been working well. Small steps to add to it, not big steps to change it all.

I like the cobra, I think he can add to it though. Have the cobra finish off guys on TV, but maybe against better opponents it wont be enough.

Have Santino hit the cobra, and his opponent will stumble around until Santino has his back, then Santino can grab his opponent and drop down into the rear naked choke (using the cobra arm of course). I think that allows Santino get a more serious finisher, while still keeping the comedic edge of choking people out with the cobra.

I like The Cobra. It fits with his gimmick, gets pops from the crowd, is probably selling on wweshop.com, kids love it, need I go on? The Cobra is no different from Mr. Socko. It's funny, simple, yet effective.

I DO, however, wish he would get rid of that Trombone nonsense. THAT I don't like. Keep the Cobra, drop the Trombone.

how about this.......The Cobra becomes a SIGNATURE move at wrestlemania. here is how it's booked.

Jack Swagger applys the ankle lock on Santino while teddy long distracts the ref so that he does not see Santino tapping......Swagger gets pissed and goes over to the ref to see what's up. Santino makes his way to his feet, unable to apply pressure to the foot........assumes Crane Stance and kicks Jack's Head off for the 1,2,3.....

Two weeks later we are back here discussing how the Crane Kick is not a "real move" but Dude Love's Sweet Shin Music was

how about this.......The Cobra becomes a SIGNATURE move at wrestlemania. here is how it's booked.

Jack Swagger applys the ankle lock on Santino while teddy long distracts the ref so that he does not see Santino tapping......Swagger gets pissed and goes over to the ref to see what's up. Santino makes his way to his feet, unable to apply pressure to the foot........assumes Crane Stance and kicks Jack's Head off for the 1,2,3.....

Two weeks later we are back here discussing how the Crane Kick is not a "real move" but Dude Love's Sweet Shin Music was

that...that sounds awful. I could list the many many MANY things wrong with this plan, but honestly just reading it has started a migraine. so please, for the love of all things holy let's just say this should never be brought up again.

Where the hell did you get the idea for the Crane kick anyway? Remember Funaki?

...Exactly. I'll leave it at that

Why would people want to get rid of the Cobra anyway? "Oh hey, we found something that really seems to work with the guy...Let's change it and possibly fuck things up"

Yeah, that totally makes sense

The Cobra is one of if not the most dangerous move in the WWE. No, not because it looks dangerous but because it is so over. Same could be said for just about every other move within the WWE; if it's over, it works. The illusion is definitely there when Dolph Ziggler or Jack Swagger sell the move. Santino doesn't need to rid himself of the Cobra especially when Superstars of the past have relied on something far more stupid. Most notably, The People's Elbow and Mick Foley's Mr. Socko. Those moves have won numerous championships and have had their fair share of memorable moments. Santino's Cobra can be just as credible if given time. The move is over, that's really all that matters.

I don't think it needs to be changed, not in the least bit.

Past mega-stars like Hogan and Rock have been able to get very simplistic moves such as a leg-drop and an elbow drop over. If 2 of the most over stars in the history of the company can make people believe that those 2 basic moves are devastating enough to put away legends than Santino can damn well do that. Look at it's track record, it has put away Wade Barrett, Jack Swagger, and even I believe even Dolph Ziggler. It's a move that the crowd is already invested in greatly (see his pops) so why kill that for a more flashy or "real life effective" finishers.

It may seem goofy, hell it is goofy but it fits Santino and more relevant than that it's one of the most crowd-reacting moves in the company at the moment.

Greetings again faces & heels from the hippy dippy Northeast. This Santino fan has been beaming with interest lately as "Italian Intensity" has been lighting up our LCDs like never before! I'm a huge fan of Santino Heat's Cobra finisher and while I wouldn't object to Marella increasing his repertoire I'd personally hate to see this staple of WWE broadcasting dismissed at the moment.

I'd hate to tangle with the person who could stand, unharmed, after absorbing a shot to the throat a la Santino's Cobra. I wouldn't recommend trying it on oneself, but such an experiment would aptly prove its effectiveness. I'm no anatomist, but entertainment aspects withstanding a pinpointed Cobra could be sold as an extreme Charlie horse to the leg as well. You just have to believe...

I especially favor Santino's Cobra not only because of its distinctiveness, but because he can quickly prep the audience for it and still hit it at a moments notice. He's even been able to add a prop to it (how come that's not considered a foreign object? Ah, who cares) which makes it even more unique.

i think he needs to add a submission hold to his arsenal. A figure four or even an anaconda choke.

The latter might even be renamed the "cobra choke" for continuity purposes

An interesting concept, but ethologically speaking cobras are venomous and only very rarely constrict prey. While I’m here I may as well remind you not to forget to check out Santino's "Foreign Exchange" on WWE's official YouTube channel; it’s a hoot, I promise you. Until next time don't forget to feed your goldfish, proofread your emails and consult a doctor if bleeding continues. Best regards, wresting fans.

You found the secret message! "Yoshi, chop chop suey, let's goooo..." - Santino Marella

Are you kidding me? Why the hell would they even think about getting rid of it? It's extremely over and extremely effective. There's NO reason to even think about changing it. This is a ridiculous thread to be honest.

And the people that don't think it's a real finisher, you're morons. Every last one of you. Have you ever been punched in the thoat? Try it yourself. Put the tips of your five fingers together and jab yourself in the throat as hard as you can. As far as realism goes, The Cobra is probably the best finisher there is in the WWE today.

(By the way, for all the fools out there, the Mandible Claw is equally as effective. Don't believe me, just try sticking two fingers under your tongue, put your thumb under your chin, and squeeze as hard as you can. IT FUCKING HURTS.)

The Socko Claw also worked on the discomfort of sock material in the mouth and sold originally as "fingers down the throat"... Man Made Fibres are not compatible with the human gullet!

As for the Cobra, sure it looks a little dumb but there is a little bit of "Bruce Leeism" about it, like it's the one thing in Santino's arsenal that cannot be overcome when he gets it right. Like someone said about the Crane Kick, for Daniel LaRusso it was unbeatable... It also offers opportunities for missed attempts to build tension in the match, making the payoff even better when he does hit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back