Is The Cobra possibly the next Peoples' Elbow

King Booka

Dark Match Winner
Now I know this topic sounds weird but if you really think about this, the cobra is quite possibly the people's elbow version of this era. Let me explain.

The Rock's People Elbow was "the most electrifying move in sport's entertainment" during that time. And the Cobra well...................... is not! But it is the most anticipated move right now in the WWE. As funny as this sound you can watch the last four or five Santino matches and see for yourself. When he sets up for the move the crowd goes ape shit. When he hits it they go even more nuts. This move is the most entertaining, pointless, but over finisher right now, just like the peoples' elbow! ( Sorry for all you hardcore Rocky fans but all it was, was a flashy elbow drop, that we all ANTICIPATED to see every time he wrestled.) Now Im NOT saying that Santino is the next rock, nor that the cobra is on the same glorified level as the rock's elbow. But creative and bookers has taken a move (that shouldn't even take down a five year old) matched it with Santino's personality, mixed it with his overness from the crowd, and allowed him to gain victories over superstars. Including his WWE tag team championship win this past monday. Will Santino gain victories with this move over guys like Triple H and Taker, like the rock use too, never! But for what the WWE is giving us these days, this move doesn't sound to silly after all.

Your thoughts.

I'd say the Cobra is more akin to the Worm used by Scotty 2 Hotty. Who could forget W-O-R-M! Whoosh Whoosh Whoosh! The Worm!

Both moves are hilarious as there is a huge build-up and gets everyone excited and end with weak attacks. If you remember him and Grandmaster Sexay captured the Tag Belts and were pretty popular. Every time they came out the crowd always responded and they always participated (quite loudly) in the setup to the Worm.

The difference between those moves and the People's Elbow is the user. Santino and Scotty 2 Hotty are/were entertaining but they are not in the league the Rock was. The Rock could get away with this because how big a star he was, just like Hogan uses the Atomic Leg Drop. Plus an elbow drop is slightly more effective looking than a jab to the face or a falling chop.

Nice thread.

I love Santino's Cobra as his finisher and am amazed at the pop it gets. But I more closely equate it to when Shane Helms as the Hurricane was choke slamming people, culminating in a chokeslam victory over the Great One (albeit with some outside interference). I don't believe the move will have lasting power or consistently defeat top stars, but they should continue to go with it until it's popularity wains.

I'm going to have to go with no, the cobra is not like the people's elbow. The key difference between the two moves is that the People's Elbow was used by the most electrifying man in sports entertianment history, the Rock. The Rock was a one of a kind person. He's one of those people that could litterally just say one word, and everyone will start to jizz their pants. Arena after arena, the Rock would leave the audience in complete voice loss due to how much they would scream for him.

On the other hand, stands Santino. A guy that doesn't even begin to compare to the likes of the Rock. Sure, he's pretty over with the crowd and has often times to be pretty good (and comical) in the ring. And yes, he can get the crowd lighted up real nice. However, his efforts are in no comparison to that of the Rock's.

Now if you apply this to their respective finishers, the difference is also very noticeable. When the Rock did the People's Elbow, you had people jumping at the edge of their seats waiting to see it happen. Now, when Santino does his Cobra, you see people sitting on their couch chuckling. Do you see the difference? People got more excited over the People's Elbow simply because it was the Rock doing it. The move on it's own is nothing special, but in the hands of the Rock, the People's Elbow is the most electrifying move is sports entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, Santino is great, and his Cobra is fun to watch; but simply put, it fails in comparison to the People's Elbow.

I agree that the worm and the cobra are both gimmick type manuvers but there is alot more anticipation and excitement for the cobra than the worm. The worm was good for an easy pop from the crowd, thats it. I was never waiting an entire scotty 2 hotty match to see the worm. Plus if the Rock's elbow was over due to the help of his popularity than the cobra definitely should be compared more towards the elbow and not the worm . But good point

I can see why the cobra and the worm are easily compared. I loved Scotty 2 hottys worm. But the peoples elbow it isnt. Only because Santino and the Rock are different. To me Santino is the best thing on RAW today with HHH injured, HBK retired, Edge on Smackdown, and Punk commentating, but he is a laugh, the Rock was funny as all hell, but a serious wrestler, so whilst the peoples elbow was awesome it wasnt the only reason you enjoyed the match. The cobra is sadly the only thing worth seeing in a Santino match. Santino should spend all his time doing promos, maybe become a manager. The guy is awesome.

]When the Rock did the People's Elbow, you had people jumping at the edge of their seats waiting to see it happen. Now, when Santino does his Cobra, you see people sitting on their couch chuckling. Do you see the difference? People got more excited over the People's Elbow simply because it was the Rock doing it. The move on it's own is nothing special, but in the hands of the Rock, the People's Elbow is the most electrifying move is sports entertainment.

I have to disagree with you on this. When Cena jumped off the apron and Santino set up the cobra it should have been right there that the crowd would have settled out as Cena was no longer involved. But what happened? The crowd got louder as Santino set up the Cobra and exploded when he hit it as if Stone Cold's Music had just been blasted.

Now I agree, Santino is no main eventer, but the Cobra as a move has to right up there with the RKO and AA as a crowd popper.

In terms of pop I would say that it is on par with the Peoples Elbow but that is about it. The Peoples Elbow was more epic and looked a lot cooler than the Cobra. It also looked way more effective, though half the time his elbow would barely grace there arm let alone there chest but i digress.

Among discussion of the Cobra amongst my friends I renamed it the Career Killer. If You are not a big enough superstar(say John Cena or Randy Orton) there is no way your career survives a strike from the Cobra. Look at Zach Ryder, took on a couple weeks back and the guy hasn't been seen since. Everyone that was released last week probably got hit by one in the locker room at some point when the cameras weren't on.I hope Gabriel doesn't suffer from the poison that comes from the Cobra(i think he will be the exception). Point is the cobra could never be the peoples elbow because they never allow him to hit the move on anyone that doesn't wrestle on superstars on a regular basis.

Love the thread though....great topic

Now I agree, Santino is no main eventer, but the Cobra as a move has to right up there with the RKO and AA as a crowd popper.

I agree with you about how over the cobra is but Santino shouldn't be winning championships with the move, Especially against a gang that has been running rough shot over raw for the past few months :shrug:

You have zero wrestling IQ. This conversation about the cobra is like comparing Hornswoggle to Hulk Hogan. Crowd reaction means absolutely nothing. When you see flash bulbs at the time of the cobra and santino wins a real title then we can have a debate or conversation. Judge the generation to its standards and santino is by far the most annoying character on Raw. he might be funny at times but brings nothing to the ring. He takes time away from the guys who deserve real ring time. The cobra is another dumb move made up by a dumb wrestler. How bout you compare Michael Cole to Jim Ross maybe then you might seem more intelligent, prob not.

I have to disagree with you on this. When Cena jumped off the apron and Santino set up the cobra it should have been right there that the crowd would have settled out as Cena was no longer involved. But what happened? The crowd got louder as Santino set up the Cobra and exploded when he hit it as if Stone Cold's Music had just been blasted.

I understand what you’re saying, but let's take a look back at the events that occurred during that specific segment, shall we?. Cena is seen walking amongst the crowd. The crowd takes notice of this. The crowd abruptly starts to make immense pops. Cena walks to the ring and distracts said Nexus members. While doing so, you have the crowd red-hot for the event that has just transpired. Next cena walks off the ring and Nexus dude turns around to find a “Cobra” waiting for him. The cobra takes a bite, crowd makes another pop, and Santino gets the pin.

Did you notice the connection here? John Cena played a major role in the contribution of Santino getting such an immense pop. The crowd was left hot because of what Cena did; and when Santino applied the Cobra, the fans merely continued to cheer---only louder.

Point is, it was partially as a result of Cena’s actions that made Santino gets such a huge pop. Granted, Santino could have gardnered a pop well on his own. But there should be no doubt that Cena played a major role in the pop that Santino received.

Not necessarily. While Santino holds some credibility amongst the fans, Randy Orton and John Cena are on far higher levels when it comes to the fans.

A wrestling move is only as big as the wrestler who uses makes it to be. For example, Hulk Hogan and his Hulk-up combination. As we are all well aware, the Hulk-up combination really isn't that good of a move. The only reason such a move has become so widely known and popular is because the person who used that move was Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan is without a doubt the biggest face in the history of the WWE; it's no wonder a shit move like that would ALWAYS get a crowd red-hot for when it was about to happen.

RKO and AA are no different. They get such immense pops due to the fact that it's John Cena and Randy Orton doing them. But try to imagine if someone like Zack Ryder doing the AA. Do you think it will get a pop then? Of course not. Zack Ryder is shit; no one cares what he does. Thus, no pop for him.

Santino, however, is not shit; but the comparison can be well adapted to his situation. Santino may be pretty over with the crowd but he's not in the levels of Cena and Orton. Thus, the reason that the Cobra cannot be like the AA or RKO. Or for that matter, the People's Elbow.

Now the Cobra is a very entertaining move, and a make beleive death touch maneuver for someone whose got nothing better to do with their gimmick. Now I don't think the Cobra is in the League with The People's Elbow, The Worm, and The Road Dogg's Shaky Shaky Knee Drop, but it Got D-Lo's Brown Leg Drop, and Godfather's Hoe Train Beat. But I think it all has to do with the extent of the creativity of the move, and the reality of the move for it to have its effect. Now he's hilarious, happy for him and Vladimir winning the Tag Team Titles Monday Night on Raw, but the Cobra can no where near come close and I mean no where near comes close to the People's Elbow. CAN U SMEEEEELLLLLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS...........COOKIN!!!!

Hate the Cobra, Scotty 2 Hotty's finisher suit his character, and I guess the Cobra fits Santino's character but I dislike it for the reason that I always wnat Santino to have is OVW gimmick. He had a great finisher, and was a believable tough guy. The Cobra is far better than his old finisher, a headbutt that was done while he was saluting or something, haha. I like the Worm-Cobra comparison more than the People's Elbow comparison. The Rock was a main eventer, Santino-Scotty were/are jobbers.

he should do a combo finisher just like the rock did (rock bottom to peoples elbow). He could use the cobra followed by the flying salute headbut. this way santino can get two pops in two moves just like rocky did when he used both.

Like many others have said, I don't think the Cobra is more like the worm than the people's elbow. Crowd pleaser in a low mid-card to mid-card match. I think it works if Kozlov do his powerslam thing before Santino uses the Cobra to finish the match. I feel the Cobra by itself looks too ridiculous to finish a wrestler off.

Yeah i find this really weird. When they first introduced the cobra, it was the opposite to what it is now, it was actually billed as a joke move that couldn't beat anyone, and now nobody can kick out to it! not that I really mind though. You have to put it up there with the WWE's current deadliest finishers, those being the RKO, STFU, starship pain (has anyone ever kicked out of it?), and maybe labelle lock as well.

But if I am to answer your question, sort of would be as close as I can get. The people's elbow is no different to say the ballin elbow drop from MVP, or kofi's boom boom drop because all of those moves can actually hurt a guy, the point about them is they shouldn't be able to hurt a guy to the point of defeat. It is, as someone already mentionned, mor akin to scotty 2 hottie's worm because in real life it wouldn't do the slightest bit of harm, and it is completely show and yet wins matches.

At least the people's elbow would hurt (imagine having someone drive their elbow into your sternum very fast!), and generally the rock bottom was Rocky's main finisher anyway. So in proportion to how much hurt it would put on someone, it is overbilled just like the people's elbow, but far more so, it is closer to the worm and would probably hurt as much as the samoan spike or khali's chop to the head. I don't mind though, comedy move for a comedy guy, makes sense no?

LOL I wouldnt call it the next Peoples Elbow, but it sure as hell is entertaining and majorly over right now. Santino is a guilty pleasure, he is funny as hell and the Cobra is hilarious. I love how over it is now, its just entertaining which is what wrestling is all about.

No, he will never defeat a superstar the calibre of Undertaker or Triple H with it, but who cares? He is a tag team champion with one of the silliest moves of all time, and the fans love it.

Santino is a success in my book

You have zero wrestling IQ. This conversation about the cobra is like comparing Hornswoggle to Hulk Hogan. Crowd reaction means absolutely nothing. When you see flash bulbs at the time of the cobra and santino wins a real title then we can have a debate or conversation. Judge the generation to its standards and santino is by far the most annoying character on Raw. he might be funny at times but brings nothing to the ring. He takes time away from the guys who deserve real ring time. The cobra is another dumb move made up by a dumb wrestler. How bout you compare Michael Cole to Jim Ross maybe then you might seem more intelligent, prob not.

Wow, just wow. I'm saddened to see that someone's opinions upset you this much. You can disagree respectfully and get your point across much easier.

Anyhow, I think the Cobra is a great move for the fans. Santino is WAY over with the crowds and they love to see him perform. He's a class act, does what's asked of him even when it means being the clown in this WWE circus, and yet, people still pull for him to win. To me, he's as over as you can get with a crowd. Not a "face of the company" sort of over, but definitely over.

What an insult to even compare the two.The cobra is universally viewed as being a joke.That's why its sooo over.They took it waaay to far this week when they and Slater&Gabriel job out to the Cobra( regardless of the Cena run-in)

Watching Smackdown yesterday and seeing how Matt Striker practically hyped the shit out of the Cobra last night had me realizing it couldn't possibly become the next People's Elbow.

It's treated as too much of a comedy thing. The Rock had it as some sort of lethal move, he had it as something to actually hype as a second sort of finisher next to his Rock Bottom. The very fact that Santino is still considered a sort of comedy act will mean that his finisher is hurt from it.

Besides, the legitimacy behind it is hardly believable. Sure it's a thrust to the throat, and the People's elbow is a drop to the chest / heart. But I'd sure as hell sell a high impact drop to the heart as more believable than I would ever sell the believability behind a thrust to the throat to keep me down for a pin.

The Rock brought the People's Elbow to a sort of legendary move, which is something that Santino doesn't even have the remote popularity to be able to do. And therefore the Cobra will never be seen as the next People's Elbow.

The People's Elbow was the punctuation mark that followed The Rock Bottom or The People's Spinebuster. It was a mock move that showed The Rock dominated you to the point of being able to mock you before winning. The Cobra? No. I reall y hate these comparisons people come up with. The Cobra is not the next People's Elbow, it is the first Cobra. A comedy move for a comedy character. If WWE is serious about making this a legit lethal move, it's their problem. It's their superstars losing credibility for the sake of a comedy maneuver.

for me personally the cobra reminds me of the manible claw with Mr Socko. Now don't get me wrong Santino Doesn't remind me of Mankind but the moves do. They both have big build ups but finish with silly moves which even mick foley himself wasn't a fan of the manible when he first heard it. But it pleases fans and personally I like Santino he is quite funny.

I don't think i'd be standing if someone knife edge chopped me in the throat. A lot of people tend to underestimate the cobra because it is Satino performing it. Sure, he does the comedy build up with the facial expressions but the move is still pretty effective (Samoan Spike Esque...). It certainly isn't anywhere near taking down a main eventer or maybe even an upper mid carder. But it's enough to get the pin on anyone else I would say.

Now I know this topic sounds weird but if you really think about this, the cobra is quite possibly the people's elbow version of this era. Let me explain.

The Rock's People Elbow was "the most electrifying move in sport's entertainment" during that time. And the Cobra well...................... is not! But it is the most anticipated move right now in the WWE. As funny as this sound you can watch the last four or five Santino matches and see for yourself. When he sets up for the move the crowd goes ape shit. When he hits it they go even more nuts. This move is the most entertaining, pointless, but over finisher right now, just like the peoples' elbow! ( Sorry for all you hardcore Rocky fans but all it was, was a flashy elbow drop, that we all ANTICIPATED to see every time he wrestled.) Now Im NOT saying that Santino is the next rock, nor that the cobra is on the same glorified level as the rock's elbow. But creative and bookers has taken a move (that shouldn't even take down a five year old) matched it with Santino's personality, mixed it with his overness from the crowd, and allowed him to gain victories over superstars. Including his WWE tag team championship win this past monday. Will Santino gain victories with this move over guys like Triple H and Taker, like the rock use too, never! But for what the WWE is giving us these days, this move doesn't sound to silly after all.

Your thoughts.

both moves where ******ed. the cobra gets huge pops as the elbow and i accept what ur saying becuase its true but i like the rocks more becuase he was serious and santino is a joke that just does comedy and i cant stand seeing kozlov with him....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back