Ryder's Pokemon Thread

The shitty nature of the first gym forces you into a strategy free battle of raw power.

I'd like to add something to this. Even if you're lucky enough to find and catch a Riolu at the ranch, it doesn't earn a fighting type move other than counter until level 15. It's strong enough to go through the entire gym on its own without one, but it's still annoying.

I do quite like Cheren's gym though, aside from the battles. Sure, it's basic and there's no puzzle to solve but it fits the theme of the place. It's a school, the gym looks like a playing field and having to pass through a couple of students works. It's not any less challenging than Brock, Misty or especially Jasmine's gyms, for example.

Roxie's gym again is basic but it works. It's a tiny shithole. Perfect for a shit small time musician. Not much of a challenge though. I was lucky enough to catch a Magnemite who sonic boomed its way through everything without any trouble. I also caught a Magby in the other section. Fairly shit and died in the sewers where I am now before it could do much. I wasn't in a position where I could afford to pass anything up, so I don't regret keeping it. It does mean I wasted a bunch of XP on it, but that's life.

The Sewer was a total bust. Anything that I might have considered catching got killed by my rival's Dewott, or from a flame body induced burn at 1 HP. I'm willing to be flexible on some of my rules (for example I didn't catch the first pokemon I saw to replace Tepig because nursing a level 2 pokemon through route 1 would just piss me off, and I allow myself to catch the first encountered pokemon I haven't already caught) but not here. I did catch a Woobat in Relic Passage though, and en-route to the exit Riolu evolved meaning the jaunt wasn't a total waste of time. Off to the gym then.

Team:

Mighty the Magnemite (level 19)
Anubis the Lucario (level 19)
Dumbat the Woobat (level 17)

RIP:

Bacon the Tepig (Released at level 7 as soon as I caught JeanLouise)
JeanLouise the Patrat (died level 7)
Magda the Magby (died level 17)

Chapter 3 – That wasn't part of our deal Blackheart!

Today's adventure starts on a very positive note as I wander aimlessly into Pokemon's giant sandpit. Sandstorm areas are really fuckin' annoying to navigate on account of the weather condition wearing away at your Pokemon – but this area seems to be going out of its way to get on my good side, as it immediately presents me with a Sandile. A Sludge and a great ball later and my party grows once again, this time with the addition of Fey.

551.png

Fey - Sandile (Lv14)

With Intimidate (which Fey has) Krookodile becomes deceptively bulky, and provides useful typing and coverage for a stall team. Poison is usually a big part of my game plan, which gives me problems with other Poisons and Steel types, both of whom Fey can demolish in an instant. I can also see the shape of the future ahead and predict that my team is going to have some problems absorbing electric attacks – so a Ground immunity became a high priority for me. Although its supposed to be a blind run – and this point I confess that I've managed to mentally complete a fairly good idea of what my team is going to look like as long as captures go my way. I'll keep the beasts I'll be looking out for later a surprise however.

I manage to stumble into a battle with 'weird science lady' that I am not at all prepared for, I come quite close to losing a Pokemon as punishment. She uses Steel types with electric attacks, which with Fey still under leveled is not a combination I can do very much to. Nox can take hits but can't strike back, and I temporarily forgot that Bogart existed. Fortunately at this point Colette is such a beast that she can absorb super effective Electric attacks and 2HKO back with not very effective Returns. I'm growing to love that bird – which is the point of the Nuzlocke challenge – though I'm still not certain about keeping her long term. Roost is nice, but I don't think I'm going to be hurting for in built recovery in the future.

So I'm wandering through the ruins, smacking down enemy trainers, not thinking too much about it – when all of a sudden, Nox dies. Allow me to explain – I've been using Nox to soak hits because he's so good at it, and get rest off the damage – but a potent Fury Swipe from an opposing Liepard puts his HP lover than I am comfortable with. I switch out, only to be hut by an unexpected Pursuit, chipping off the last of his HM, removing a vital component of my team and perhaps most importantly, meaning that I totally wasted the incredibly precious Rest TM. With the centrepiece of my stall plan now flat on the ground making bubbling noises, I'm probably going to have to reassess. Or not – Colette can still roost, and I can get a better Poisoner later. We'll see.

Start as you mean to go on I suppose, as Fey bites the dust soon after to a critical takedown – that hit hard enough that it would have taken down Colette, so I'm not blaming myself for that particular loss. Fey was still underleveled slightly, so its not like I've lost a whole ton of investment there. Still, I'm now back down to only one bird pokemon with an almost certainly Electric gym coming up in the near future. I really hope there's another screen of sand between now and then.

Turns out that there is; there's the Desert Resort, where the game hands me a perfectly suitable replacement to Fey; Scraggy.

559.png

Chen Li - Scraggy (Lv18)

Chen Li doesn't have Shed Skin, which saves me from having to kill myself for blowing that Rest TM, and is just bulky enough to serve as a like for like replacement for Fey; though from a defensive perspective he's pretty much strictly worse. I will keep him around for the moment because I have to, but I'm quietly hoping to replace him with something superior in the not to distant future.

The not to distant future will have to wait however, as the inside of the Desert Resort hands me Damaruka, something that I like a great deal, but cannot justify catching. I am much too careful to spend twenty levels raising a frail, poorly typed Pokemon that knows Hustle – it would miss at a critical moment and get itself killed. Plus, no bulk, which is what we're trying to do here. I'm basically springing forward and dodging trainers right now looking for more capture opportunities. NPC's led me to believe that there's “Relic Castle” up ahead, which sounds like the place to be for catchable Pokemon.

Ask as you shall receive, Relic Castle hands me a replacement Sandile, at a marginally higher level than Fey was upon death. Enter – Echo.

551.png

Echo - Sandile (Lv21)

As a like for like replacement, Echo doesn't get much of an introduction. The only point of note is that he's a Moxiecroc instead of my preferred Intimidate version a got another Sandile on the second floor, but it was also Moxie so I didn't bother replacing. Still, cost of doing business. Chen Lee is no longer necessary, and I have to sprint back to a healer so I can start brining Echo up to level. This'll call for a lengthy session of exploring the areas I just sprinted through in detail, and since I'm about to exhaust my image allowance, we'll call it a day here.

Current Party

499.png

Bogart - Pignite (Lv17)

520.png

Colette - Tranquil (Lv27)

559.png

Chen Li - Scraggy (Lv18)

551.png

Echo - Sandile (Lv21)

Deceased

Nox - Grimer (Lv24) – Killed by Pursuit when switching out.
Fey – Sandile (Lv20) – Killed by a critical Takedown from a Herdier.

It seems to be that there are either far more opportunities to gain XP in Emerald than in Ruby or that I have had such a settled core team from very early because without any grinding, my squad is head and shoulders above any and all comers level wise even before I march into Fortree City. Its gym is brushed aside solely by my Shock Wave wielding Pelipper before I head on to Route 120 where I am full expecting to meet the Female Trainer who had a Milotic that caused me a hell of a lot of bother in Ruby.

If I remember correctly it was only my evolving of Gloom to Vileplume that saved me from a humiliating bushwhacking by a single dragon. This time, I am ready for her. Each of my then four beasts are approaching lv40 plus the Shock Wave-wielding conqueror of Fortree. Of course, after all that build up, the card was subject to change and that Milotic is not in Emerald it seems. Ah well, on to Lilycove... but not before I decide to try something different with my squad.

Rather than wait for something I know well, whilst approaching the Safari Zone, I catch a Shuppet to be called Atish. This Sneezing Geordie Ghost is of a low level - level 26 at the time of capture - but quickly turns out to be a rather fast grower. His pace of growth is quickened after and after I shut off the Mauville generator for Wattson and gain Thunderbolt, allowing Atish to deal with Flying and Water types with little or no fuss. Then after burning through Mt Pyre, he also has Shadow Ball too and once Magma's Hideout was stormed, Atish has evolved to Banette and effectively caught up with the rest of the squad.

A Ghost might not be the best choice for a Nuzlocke but I like to mix it up a bit.

Constans the Swampert lv45
Fabius the Tentacruel lv43
Wingle the Pelipper lv43
Bandit the Linoone lv43
Atish the Banette lv42

Well, around the fifth gym I pretty much failed. My team was dangerously weak to the gym leader's type and although I was able to beat him without any losses, it took multiple soft resets to figure out a strategy that worked. Since that's cheating I took that as a loss. I played out the rest of the game mostly ignoring the death rule (but adhering to the capture and item rules up until the league) out of a desire to finish the damn thing and am going to retry with a starter but without cheating on challenge mode. The way I see it, I'll either learn how to play better or humiliate myself. Either works.

I'm not going to bother writing up my thoughts since I'm playing the same game as Gelgarin who's a better writer than me, making my input superfluous.

Well, I set my game to Challenge mode, erased the old save and quickly found out that starting a new game deletes your keys. That is a fucking ridiculous "feature". The only way to start a new game in easy/hard mode (well, let's be honest hard if you're above the age of 3) you need to find someone else to unlock it, or go the entire game without saving. Which I am not going to do. I like being able to turn my DS off occasionally.

I like the concept of a hard mode in Pokemon, and I hope it returns. But the execution in BW2 was poor. On the subject, I'm not sure increasing the levels of trainer's pokemon is the best way to add difficulty. I mean, if the pokemon are higher level you're getting more XP, and accordingly your pokemon level up sooner making the difference insignificant. Adding a negative modifier to XP gain would make for an interesting challenge, especially if accompanied by higher level opponents. But I digress.

So I blitz through the remainder of the Emerald story without much fuss, mainly because for some reason it does include having to fight Groudon, Kyogre or Rayquaza, and approach the Ever Grande City Waterfall only to realise that I only have a squad of five. My original plan had been to add in the regenerated fossil Anorith but I completely forgot about him and did not catch anything either strong enough or worthy of filling the final spot.

So as I marched into Victory Road with a squad of five and no expectation of finding anything useful with my first encounter. However, finally, things turned around and I was confronted by a lv40 Golbat that would not die following the weakest attack I could throw at it. One Ultra ball later and Vampiro had taken his place at the head of my squad for the remainder of my trek through Victory Road. He butchered the unfortunate Wally and then took on the vast majority of the other trainers and the VAST amount of wild pokemon basically by himself. Only Wingle was needed to give some aid against the Rock/Steel types. So by the time I emerged from the cave, Vampiro had reached lv48.

Much like my last run through of Ruby, I am concerned that my squad is underpowered, even though it has far higher levels than last time as I think that Emerald will include higher level Elite 4 beasts. However, this time I have Ice Beam to deal with the dragons should I get that far.

Constans the Swampert lv56
Fabius the Tentacruel lv52
Wingle the Pelipper lv51
Bandit the Linoone lv52
Atish the Banette lv52
Vampiro the Golbat lv48

Well, that was easier than expected.

The Dark Elite is susceptible to brute force but it was Constans that did the most damage with his Ice Beam and Earthquake; Vamprio and Fabius confused and poisoned the Ghosts with a little help from Wingle; Bandit the Linoone single handedly Rolled Out the entire Ice team and, as predicted, Constans and his Ice Beam annihilated the Dragons.

The champion was a little tricker with all of my squad taking heavy damage but the likes of Vampiro and Fabius were able to inflict confusion or heavy poison on their opponents before I switched them out leaving me with Constans and Atish to face Wallace's Milotic and as my ghost knows Thunderbolt, it was a done deal.

Is Black 2 worth getting? I've got the first one, I've beaten it, and I'm thinking about putting Black 2 on my Christmas list (my mom asked us to make it early this year) but I only want it if it's really worth it. Or should I ask for White or White 2? Lend me your advice please.

i put 2ds on my list because it'll do everything the 3ds has without the 3d and cheaper, i'm also waiting for the games to come out to see which one has which pokemon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back