Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Round Two

mario-vs-marv.png

Sparks will fly as Nintendo's plucky plumber takes on the strong-as-an-ox Marv! Mario has powerups on hand and some slick moves of his own, but will they be enough to stop Sin City's juggernaut of a villain? Or will Marv pound the red-garbed hero into the ground?

FIGHT!

I don't think poor Mario has any hope here. Marv is basically the Terminator in human form and our favourite plumber just won't be able to handle the sheer ferocity. After 30 years, the world's most enduring computer hero meets a grisly end.

Mario has faced strong opponents before, and he always comes out on top. With a Mega Mushroom, Mario could grow to giant size and stomp Marv flat. Mario's fireballs could set Marv alight. Hell, Mario's stomps are nothing to be scoffed at, as a few of those could give the Sin City villain one heck of a headache.

Don't write Mario off so easily just because Marv is "strong".

Mario has faced strong opponents before, and he always comes out on top. With a Mega Mushroom, Mario could grow to giant size and stomp Marv flat. Mario's fireballs could set Marv alight. Hell, Mario's stomps are nothing to be scoffed at, as a few of those could give the Sin City villain one heck of a headache.

Don't write Mario off so easily just because Marv is "strong".

Never mentioned strength, I went with sheer ferocity and killer instinct. Plus, where does Mario find the power ups unless you are disadvantaging Marv by having the battle in Marioland?

Mario used metal cap. Marv's attacks don't affect metal Mario. Metal Mario used stomp. Marv can't breathe with snapped ribs. Marv dies. Mario wins.

Never mentioned strength, I went with sheer ferocity and killer instinct. Plus, where does Mario find the power ups unless you are disadvantaging Marv by having the battle in Marioland?

The way I see it, Mario's powerups count as weapons, the same as Marv's gun, or Captain America's shield, or Black Dynamite's nunchucks, or Duke Nukem's box of explosive toys. Let's say Mario has one of each powerup, not including Yoshi because that would count as backup. Marv could stall Mario until the effects of the powerups wore off, thus rendering them useless. Marv could take the win then using his strength to his advantage.

But again, Mario has made his living facing enemies with killer instinct and ferocity. Bowser, for one. The electric manta ray of Sirena Beach. Countless ghost warriors and monsters and robots standing over five hundred feet tall. Marv is just another Whomp to Mario, one that he'll stomp to bits.

The way I see it, Mario's powerups count as weapons, the same as Marv's gun, or Captain America's shield, or Black Dynamite's nunchucks, or Duke Nukem's box of explosive toys. Let's say Mario has one of each powerup, not including Yoshi because that would count as backup. Marv could stall Mario until the effects of the powerups wore off, thus rendering them useless. Marv could take the win then using his strength to his advantage.

But again, Mario has made his living facing enemies with killer instinct and ferocity. Bowser, for one. The electric manta ray of Sirena Beach. Countless ghost warriors and monsters and robots standing over five hundred feet tall. Marv is just another Whomp to Mario, one that he'll stomp to bits.

But Marv doesn't have to complete a stage or collect a mushroom to get his gun, he just has it (the same with Cap's shield).

By the official rules:
The matches have no pre-game warmup time

Surely collecting power ups to be used when and if needed have to fall within that bracket? From my reading on this topic, Mario can begin the fight with one power up and hold one more. If Marv can survive these two (and he is incredibly hard to kill and no goat's toe intellectually), he gets bog standard Mario.

Doc, I accidentally voted Mario. I meant to vote Marv. Reasoning being the very simplistic one of Mario needing only two hits to die, when a fight starts. I'm sure Marv can shoot him twice before Mario got to any sort of powerup.

Um he can carries them with him, ya know like in SMB 3...

Doc, I accidentally voted Mario. I meant to vote Marv. Reasoning being the very simplistic one of Mario needing only two hits to die, when a fight starts. I'm sure Marv can shoot him twice before Mario got to any sort of powerup.

Doesn't matter how many times Marv hits Mario if Mario whips out one these

07pKDi441lkpgau4ONk8SaYGo1_400.jpg

BAM!!!!

Mario literally has to just run into Marv to kill him, Marv's only hope would be to throw him off a ledge, assuming they're even anywhere near a ledge...

MARIO wins

Mario has to run around and find a star. He can't just whip a star out of nowhere. He won't have the time to find any powerup before Marv can hit him twice.

Mario has to run around and find a star. He can't just whip a star out of nowhere. He won't have the time to find any powerup before Marv can hit him twice.

He can carry them with him, have you not ever played SMB 3?, he can store the star in his inventory, and just start the match out with it, run at Marv, and kill him, match fucking over. Winner- Mario

He can carry them with him, have you not ever played SMB 3?, he can store the star in his inventory, and just start the match out with it, run at Marv, and kill him, match fucking over. Winner- Mario
He has to earn them first. You start with a clean slate. Marv wins, two bullets through Mario's skull.

He has to earn them first. You start with a clean slate. Marv wins, two bullets through Mario's skull.

..and where does Marv find bullets?, it's not like he can magically just shit them out of his ass, he has to go get them, same as Mario going to shops in the mushroom kingdom.

Twice? Have you played Super Mario 64? I'm guessing not. How many times does it take to hit him before he dies? It's Eight plus he can reginerate.

So Mario can't have power up yet Marv can have a bullet? Mario could just jump on his head and inure him then, not many people would survie a jump to the head let alone off Mario.

Without weapons Marv is nothing, without weapons mario is still Super.

..and where does Marv find bullets?, it's not like he can magically just shit them out of his ass, he has to go get them, same as Mario going to shops in the mushroom kingdom.
Are you ******ed or something? Marv carries bullets because he has a gun. In every Mario game, Mario has to find powerups in levels. Before you use the bonus houses, or whatever they're called as an argument, treat Mario as if he's starting a new game. No powerups, no coins, no access to those bonus houses. Characters are allowed to carry their weapons with them. Mario's powerups are not weapons. Even if Mario was to find his "holy grail" of powerups, the star (bearing in mind he would be dead by the time this happened, since he only needs to be hit twice to die) it just makes him invulnerable to attacks. In Mario's world, this allows him to walk through enemies and kill them, because it takes only 1 hit to kill those guys. Marv can take a ton of damage and still fight back, so Mario isn't running through Marv. If you want to argue this, come up with something logical, not this nonsense.

Are you ******ed or something? Marv carries bullets because he has a gun. In every Mario game, Mario has to find powerups in levels. Before you use the bonus houses, or whatever they're called as an argument, treat Mario as if he's starting a new game. No powerups, no coins, no access to those bonus houses. Characters are allowed to carry their weapons with them. Mario's powerups are not weapons. Even if Mario was to find his "holy grail" of powerups, the star (bearing in mind he would be dead by the time this happened, since he only needs to be hit twice to die) it just makes him invulnerable to attacks. In Mario's world, this allows him to walk through enemies and kill them, because it takes only 1 hit to kill those guys. Marv can take a ton of damage and still fight back, so Mario isn't running through Marv. If you want to argue this, come up with something logical, not this nonsense.

Now you're getting stupid, we could argue that he finished round 1 still as fire Mario which is how I finish level one of any Mario game.

As I said it takes more than two hits for Mario to die.

You want logic, you've yet to provide it.

Mario beats marv in any sense as I'm sure Bowswer, Ganondorf and any other Nintendo bad guy as depicted in Smash Bros would put out more of a challenge.

What about speed? Mario outran Sonic in Mario and Sonic at the olympic games.

Stamina? When does mario stop for a rest? He doesn't, he just keeps on keeping on.

Marv may be a challenge for mario but frankly you need to do your research on Mario before you come back with a counter argument.

Twice? Have you played Super Mario 64? I'm guessing not. How many times does it take to hit him before he dies? It's Eight plus he can reginerate.
Ok, 8 hits is still significantly less than the amount of damage Marv takes. But in the 2d games, he needs just two hits, without the aid of powerups to die.

So Mario can't have power up yet Marv can have a bullet? Mario could just jump on his head and inure him then, not many people would survie a jump to the head let alone off Mario.
Why don't people understand that Mario, within his own games, has to scavenge for his powerups within the levels. He doesn't just magically get them. Marv carries a gun regularly. He doesn't have to find it to use it. He just has it. That's how his character is. As for jumping on Marv's head, that won't work either. Marv's endurance and pain tolerance are on the threshold of superhuman. Just jumping on his head, which I'm sure Marv wouldn't allow anyway, wouldn't hurt him too much.

Without weapons Marv is nothing, without weapons mario is still Super.
Without weapons (stupid argument, he has them) Marv still has his "mits." He's still very strong and can beat people in fistfights. He still has his endurance and pain tolerance. Without his powerups, Mario can just run, jump, stomp on people's heads, and will take at most 8 hits to kill.

Now you're getting stupid, we could argue that he finished round 1 still as fire Mario which is how I finish level one of any Mario game.
It's been stated you start each round unprepared, otherwise Kirby would have Goku's powers. Mario doesn't have any powerups. Give this argument up already.

Different interpretation of the character. He took two hits to die in more games than eight hits. Even so, at most eight hits of any kind are all it takes for him to die.

Mario beats marv in any sense as I'm sure Bowswer, Ganondorf and any other Nintendo bad guy as depicted in Smash Bros would put out more of a challenge.
Marv has a gun. Marv shoots bullet into Bowser's skull. Bowser gets hit due to his lack of agility. Bowser dies. Ganondorf would be more of a challenge, but would still die to a bullet in the brain.

Please don't bring noncannon games into this. If they were in a Sonic game for some Sega system, Sonic would be at the finish line before Mario took a step.

Stamina? When does mario stop for a rest? He doesn't, he just keeps on keeping on.
Never said anything about stamina. Just endurance and pain tolerance. Marv has that in spades, Mario does not.

You want logic, you've yet to provide it.

Marv may be a challenge for mario but frankly you need to do your research on Mario before you come back with a counter argument.

You need to pick and stick Lee because you keep giving different variances of Mario. What's to stop any Marv fan picking the Donkey Kong version who can be defeated by throwing a barrel at him? Marv doesn't vary, to create a fair fight, Mario shouldn't either.

Are you ******ed or something?

Well, that was a bit uncalled for don't you think, this is just suppose to be for fun, no need to name calling & what not.

Marv carries bullets because he has a gun.

And Mario carries power-ups because he lives in the mushroom kingdom, & constantly has to go rescue some dumb bitch of a princess who keeps getting herself kidnapped.

In every Mario game, Mario has to find powerups in levels. Before you use the bonus houses, or whatever they're called as an argument, treat Mario as if he's starting a new game. No powerups, no coins, no access to those bonus houses.

He's not playing a game though, if Marv is able to come in armed to the fucking teeth, than Mario has access to power-ups. Until Doc comes in here and says Mario can't start off matches with his power-ups I will continue to argue as if he has them, which is only fair.

Characters are allowed to carry their weapons with them. Mario's powerups are not weapons.

The fuck they aren't...

Even if Mario was to find his "holy grail" of powerups, the star

Shouldn't be too hard for him to find seeing as how all he has to do is pull it out of his inventory.

(bearing in mind he would be dead by the time this happened, since he only needs to be hit twice to die)

Pretty sure Lee already proved you wrong on this, as he stated it takes 8 hits to kill Mario in Mario 64, perhaps you need to play more Mario games?

it just makes him invulnerable to attacks.

Yeah... meaning anything Marv throws at him isn't going to affect him...

In Mario's world, this allows him to walk through enemies and kill them

Which means all he has to to do to beat Marv is run into him, why is this so hard to understand?

because it takes only 1 hit to kill those guys. Marv can take a ton of damage and still fight back, so Mario isn't running through Marv.

Yeah bullshit, now you're just pulling crap from your ass.

If you want to argue this, come up with something logical, not this nonsense.

:lmao:...please:rolleyes:

You do realize you're posting about a fight between a two fictional characters, one being a super powered plumber from a mushroom kingdom, & the other being a fictional human from a graphic novel series, right?

Stop taking it so serious, it's just suppose to be for fun, man

Marv has a gun. Marv shoots bullet into Bowser's skull. Bowser gets hit due to his lack of agility. Bowser dies. Ganondorf would be more of a challenge, but would still die to a bullet in the brain.

Speaking of bullets

480px-BulletBillWii.png

Mario doesn't die after getting hit by bullet bill. he loses a life point therefore Marv would need bullets but there are only six in a gun.

Poor Marv

Please don't bring noncannon games into this. If they were in a Sonic game for some Sega system, Sonic would be at the finish line before Mario took a step.

The game is made by Sega. Just sayin.

If Mario can survive seven bullet bills, he can survive one of Marv's shots from a gun. Your argument is invalid.

Mario doesn't die after getting hit by bullet bill. he loses a life point therefore Marv would need bullets but there are only six in a gun.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Lee? A revolver only holds 6 bullets, but Marv wields a M1911 pistol, which holds 7, and are fired more rapidly than a revolver.

Furthermore, depending which game you're looking at, Mario can only take 2-3 hits before he makes a silly face and falls off the level.

And I'm not a huge fan of the star argument. Mario's star is a one hit KO to lackeys like Goombas and Koopas, but we never get to see him use it on bosses, and when he uses it on the likes of Bowser, Donkey Kong, or Luigi in Mario Kart, it only makes them spin out. I'd venture to guess running into Marv while under the influence of a star would knock Marv down, but it wouldn't do any physical damage other than that.

Mario's next best weapon is, of course, his fireballs. Marv survived a jolt from the electric chair, which is traditionally 2,000 volts. Even if the fireballs could burn Marv (his skin is tougher than most), I doubt it'd slow him down very much, and he'd still pump Mario full of lead.

Once you start to be real with the extent of Mario's powers, you'll see that he's no match for Marv.

Mario could have temporary invincibility by getting a star, and if he were to have a powerup like the mega mushroom he would be trouble for Marv. One jump on top of Marv might be able to crush him at this point, and the invincibility would mean that Marv can't hurt him. With Marv being crushed, it's a good chance of Mario winning this match-up.

Well, that was a bit uncalled for don't you think, this is just suppose to be for fun, no need to name calling & what not.
When you're beating the same dead horse, it just seems like you're not grasping things properly.

And Mario carries power-ups because he lives in the mushroom kingdom, & constantly has to go rescue some dumb bitch of a princess who keeps getting herself kidnapped.
The traditional Mario games requires that Mario has to scavenge for his powerups from blocks. I'm not breaking any rules from his game saying that he has to find him, because he has to find his powerups within levels.

He's not playing a game though, if Marv is able to come in armed to the fucking teeth, than Mario has access to power-ups. Until Doc comes in here and says Mario can't start off matches with his power-ups I will continue to argue as if he has them, which is only fair.

The fuck they aren't...
They aren't. A weapon is something a character constantly has on his person (unless it's a projectile) to use in battle. Mario does not typically carry any of his power ups. If you want to use the "he carries them because he did in SMB3" argument, then you can't have the 8-hits Mario from SM64. Choose a Mario and stick with it.

Shouldn't be too hard for him to find seeing as how all he has to do is pull it out of his inventory.
If you want him to be able to do this, then he only takes 2 hits to die.

Pretty sure Lee already proved you wrong on this, as he stated it takes 8 hits to kill Mario in Mario 64, perhaps you need to play more Mario games?
Was replying to your post when he posted his, but in any case, you need to choose one iteration of Mario and stick with it.

Yeah... meaning anything Marv throws at him isn't going to affect him...
For a very brief time. Marv can tough it out, even if he were to use a star (which he won't because Marv would have killed him before he found one)

Which means all he has to to do to beat Marv is run into him, why is this so hard to understand?
So you're saying Marv is as weak as a goomba? Now that's funny shit. Marv could defeat an army of Goombas with his fists.

You do realize you're posting about a fight between a two fictional characters, one being a super powered plumber from a mushroom kingdom, & the other being a fictional human from a graphic novel series, right?/QUOTE]
So you're saying this is an unfair fight then? Because this is supposedly the human bracket. If you're going to say Mario is super-powered (he's not, he's just a man in a strange world that has powerups, which is why he dies so easily) then you have to admit that Marv could take on many men without getting much more than a scratch. Watch Sin City, you'll understand.

Speaking of bullets

Good thing you read my point about it taking two shots to kill Mario, when I'm using the Mario can only take two hits and die argument. As Jglass said, his gun has 7 bullets. And Marv also has his "mits." He doesn't just have to use his gun you know.

The game is made by Sega. Just sayin.
It's on a Nintendo console. And it's non-cannon. And it's after the Sonic franchise became meaningless, so Sega making Sonic less powerful didn't matter.

If Mario can survive seven bullet bills, he can survive one of Marv's shots from a gun. Your argument is invalid.
Again, you didn't read what I said, thus invalidating your argument.

Mario could have temporary invincibility by getting a star, and if he were to have a powerup like the mega mushroom he would be trouble for Marv. One jump on top of Marv might be able to crush him at this point, and the invincibility would mean that Marv can't hurt him. With Marv being crushed, it's a good chance of Mario winning this match-up.
And yet another, different, iteration of Mario. This time, he's getting his even-harder-to-obtain mega mushroom. Unlike the stupid goombas, Marv would run from, dodge, duck, dive, and dodge Mario while he's under the effects of this mushroom. He'd be able to survive long enough for it to wear off, then fire some bullets and possibly throw some punches.

For the record, I'd suggest basing arguments around SSBB Mario, as it's his most well-rounded and specifically defined form.

In SSBB, Mario has these powerups equipped as he starts the fight, thus making them now count as powerups and more like natural abilities in this tourney:
  • FLUDD
  • Fire Flower
  • Pay Day Badge (his coin punch)
  • Feather (His cape attack)
Just like Link can use his items from various Zelda games in his battles, and just like Duke Nukem has all of his weapons with him in his battles, Mario can use several power ups in this battle. However, the ones not listed above are all one-time use, and if Marv can take away, disable, or wear out Mario's powerups, he could win. It's the same as if Mario used his Cape to block Marv's bullets and Marv ran out of ammo. He'd have to rely on his own brute strength, of which he has lots.

The thing is, as I've said it many times, Mario has faced tons of enemies that would be considered large and strong. For example, the King Whomp is literally a stone slab that aims to crush Mario beneath its ample body. Mario manages to defeat it using his fearsome stomps over and over, shattering it. In Super Mario Galaxy, Mario uses the attacks of a giant robot against it, before again attacking it with stomps so powerful it can shatter the bulletproof glass that hides its power source (a star).

If Mario's stomps can shatter bulletproof glass after three of them, imagine what it could do to a skull, even one as strong as Marv's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back