Rock Region, Seattle Subregion, First Round: (13) Great Muta vs. (20) Ron Simmons

Who Wins This Match?

• Great Mua

• Ron Simmons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Seattle Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington.

key%20arena%20tickets.jpg

89ba47f487755405b2a3eff977defee3.jpg

#13. Great Muta

Vs.

latest

#20. Ron Simmons

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Fun match. Like, really fun match. A solid, historic power wrestler coming up against a high flying, technical madman like Muta is just a grand first round battle, but it really is one way traffic.

Ron Simmons is the first African American World's Heavyweight Champion. An amazing feat. What people forget though was that he was also a place-holder in effect, covering for an injured Sting who was supposed to be champion at Vader's expense. Aside from that, leading a black-power faction whilst failing as a main eventer in WWF and tagging with Butch Reed in Doom and Bradshaw in the APA are his biggest claims to fame. Not a bad career by any means, but nothing that really compares to Muta.

Probably the biggest star (thus far, here's looking to you Shinsuke) to transition from Japan to the United States, Muta is a big star in the US, let alone back home in his native Japan, where he was the biggest New Japan star of the 90s, the standard bearer in both New Japan and All Japan in the 00's and still wrestles to this day in his own company.

He's held two of the big three heavyweight titles in Japan as well as the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, had match of the year candidates with everyone from Sting to Tenryu to Vader to Nakamura and innovated maneuvers like the the Shining Wizard and the Muta Lock, used by copious wrestlers the world over.

Simply put? Muta's a bigger star, over a longer period with a better CV.

Damn! As in, it's a damn shame Ron has to go in the first round.
Simmons had a great career, but it falls in comparison to that of the Great Muta. Great, Muta is indeed- 1 of only 3 wrestlers to hold the NWA Heavyweight Championship, the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (4 times), and the AJPW Triple Crown Championship (3 times). Simmons being the first African-American World champion is great, and I loved the Nation and APA, but Muta's legacy far outweighs.
Vote Muta.

FunKay pretty much summed up my argument for me. Simmons had himself a very solid career after a very successful collegiate football career. He was bred for the business and will always have his moment as the first African American world champion.

Muta was an international star though. Sure he wasn't the biggest star in WCW, like he was in Japan, but he held his own, something Simmons could barely do in WWE.

Muta moves on.

Muta was an international star though. Sure he wasn't the biggest star in WCW, like he was in Japan, but he held his own, something Simmons could barely do in WWE.

And the only reason he didn't become among the biggest stars in the NWA was because of the working relationship between NWA and NJPW at the time. Muta was beating Sting for the TV title within 6 months of his debut. Throughout his one year run in America, he feuded with the three biggest names in company at the time (Sting, Flair, Luger). Honestly, I thought he should have main evented that Starrcade with the Black Scorpion crap. He probably would have to if he stuck around, but it was always understood that he would go back to Japan. Because of that, they couldn't really invest a whole lot in him.

Still in that one year, Muta was able to gain a significant fan following in America and is still considered one of the most popular Japanese wrestlers ever. Oh yeah, and he was fucking incredible in the ring. Just magic. And I haven't even brought up his career in Japan.

Vote for the mist. Vote Muta.

I really do love me some Ron Simmons, and I wish he could catch a break and have just one tournament where he can win 1-2 matches, but it won't be this year. He has his place cemented in history, and he is the far more entertaining of the two in this match, but Muta gets my vote. He was just way too good in the ring, and I don't think there's a way Simmons could overcome that.

I would agree with FunKay, Yaz and NSL. Muta does have a better CV than Ron Simmons. I would corroborate the term Technical Madman being used by FunKay to mention The Great Muta. He wins here, but the match will be entertaining to the best.

The match will surely be entertaining considering the two guys' in-ring working abilities.

Simmons had an unique awesome career of his own and I loved him in APA along with JBL. But Muta is too great to be defeated by Simmons as he is a solid in-ring worker who is a really innovative wrestler. It wouldn't be squash but fun to watch in real life.

So Great Muta.

Damn!!! ;)

Smash mouth American vs a goddamn Japanese wrestling wizard. This would be a better match than the votes will likely suggest.

I would have to vote Muta. He is just a much bigger deal & it will take someone much higher on the food chain than this to stop him.

Truth be told, I think Muta would win and is probably better, but I've voted Simmons. It's pretty simple really, I've recently watched a lot of 96-97 WWF and Faarooq's mic work is exceptional. He got the Nation over so well, and how often is it the case that every single member of a faction goes on to have pretty good success afterwards. Simmons was a ground breaker but he was also a very charismatic wrestler. I have been guilty in the past of downplaying him as a wrestler, so today I'm going to be a bit more positive.

There's a conflict of interest here. The poll says "Mua" and I can't vote for myself, so I'm gonna have to go with Ron Simmons. DAMN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back