Rock Region, Seattle Subregion, First Round:(5)Brock Lesnar vs. (28)Hiroshi Tanahashi

Who Wins This Match?

• Brock Lesnar

• Hiroshi Tanahashi

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Seattle Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington.

key%20arena%20tickets.jpg

4583785-4281218-6083399682-brock.jpg

#5. Brock Lesnar

Vs.

tanahashi.jpg

#28. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

It's sort of funny how things work out. Tanahashi wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the first time two days after New Japan declares the title vacant. Prior to this, Brock Lesnar was champion but it was vacated due to Lesnar being unable to defend it due to "problems with a working visa."

This raises the question, to some degree, in regards to Tanahashi's future drawing parallels with John Cena's regarding Lesnar. If Lesnar had stayed in New Japan and all this drama hadn't started up, would there have been a Hiroshi Tanahashi to dominate New Japan for the last 10 years much as we've seen with John Cena? I say yes because Lesnar was basically Vince's ultimate fantasy come to life in a wrestler with ferocious strength, great athletic ability, a Herculean physique and an altogether very intimidating look whereas New Japan doesn't put nearly as much of an emphasis on a wrestler's look as Vince does.

If I'm not mistaken, Lesnar has won this tourney the past few years and I don't see him being stopped by Tanahashi. Tanahashi's a killer in-ring talent, but Lesnar is a beast that we've seen decimate the top guys in WWE whenever he's gotten into the ring with them. Gotta go with the Beast here.

Tanahashi is a great talent, but in a sense that's his downfall. Brock Lesnar chews up top talents and spits them out. Tanahashi is a record 7-time IWGP champ, one of his reigns having a record 11 successful defenses, but Brock in his prime destroys everyone in his path, and Hiroshi would be no different. A killer match it would be, but Tanahashi would be taking a trip to Suplex City, bitch.
Vote Lesnar.

I see people not understanding how Japanese pro wrestling works. Japanese pro wrestling works under the assumption that everyone in the ring is superhuman like the anime characters you see on television. To give 100%, while looking invincible and unbeatable, which translates to a ton of no selling and over top pacing, is good psychology to NJPW audiences. It's that "fighting spirit." Lesnar looks unbeatable because that is the way he's booked. To the US audiences he's special and authentic. Even more so because he's a legit fighter. But to Japanese audiences Lesnar would just be some other guy. And the sad thing is Lesnar was hyped to the moon while he held the IWGP world title and yet business slumped under Lesnar. Attendance figures for NJPW dropped off and so did TV ratings. Lesnar bombed as a drawing champion in not one but two countries.

So keep in mind that when you think "Suplex repeat, suplex repeat" for how this match would go, Tanahashi is not going to stay down for long, or if at all. He would be right back up hammering away on Lesnar every single time.

I still haven't chosen who I want to vote for yet. But this match being in the Midwest does give Lesnar a little bit of an advantage since he's from the region.

It's kinda crazy that this match was actually scheduled to happen at their Green Dome event on July 17th, 2006. Although New Japan cited “visa issues” as their reason, that was soon figured out only to be partly true. What New Japan failed to mention about Lesnar is that he was unwilling to drop the belt to Tanahashi and he then claimed he was owed money by NJPW and so he kept the physical belt. So in a nutshell, what NJPW gained from Brock holding the title was a champion who was barely ever around, and when he did show up, he put on mediocre performances. A champion who made it clear while he was champion that he wanted to do shoots (kinda like how he sprung the NFL dreams on the WWE), and then what seemed like he bailed on them without losing the title, he was actually fired. Tanahashi on the other hand had some amazing and lengthy title runs, defeating the likes of Giant Bernard, Taiyō Kea, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Koji Kanemoto, and Yuji Nagata.

Although realistically, both these guys would probably end up dead at the end, my vote will go to Lesnar.

Can we all just agree that this match would be balls out awesome if Brock actually showed up and decided to wrestle instead of just spamming the same move? These two would beat the hell out of each other.

Brock would move on though because the forums at large are still salty about last year.

I see people not understanding how Japanese pro wrestling works. Japanese pro wrestling works under the assumption that everyone in the ring is superhuman like the anime characters you see on television. To give 100%, while looking invincible and unbeatable, which translates to a ton of no selling and over top pacing, is good psychology to NJPW audiences. It's that "fighting spirit." Lesnar looks unbeatable because that is the way he's booked. To the US audiences he's special and authentic. Even more so because he's a legit fighter. But to Japanese audiences Lesnar would just be some other guy. And the sad thing is Lesnar was hyped to the moon while he held the IWGP world title and yet business slumped under Lesnar. Attendance figures for NJPW dropped off and so did TV ratings. Lesnar bombed as a drawing champion in not one but two countries.

So keep in mind that when you think "Suplex repeat, suplex repeat" for how this match would go, Tanahashi is not going to stay down for long, or if at all. He would be right back up hammering away on Lesnar every single time.

I still haven't chosen who I want to vote for yet. But this match being in the Midwest does give Lesnar a little bit of an advantage since he's from the region.

You go on to say that in Japan wrestlers are looked almost like superheroes...and then point out this match isn't in Japan. So that "superhero" effect would be gone, would it not?

Tanahashi deserves his place in the tournament, but this isn't the match he wanted to be in. Lesnar eats him up, spits him out, and moves on as his road for redemption begins.

Lesnar and its easy for me. As has been said, Lesnar routinely beats top talents and this would be no different.

Those of you out there who are going to make smart ass remarks about Lesnar being slighted last year are correct. For those who voted for HBK last year because you couldn't see through KB's word forts, you are the reason Lesnar will once again run roughshod through this tournament. Just like the finals last year it makes no sense for Lesnar to lose this match.

Vote Lesnar.

You go on to say that in Japan wrestlers are looked almost like superheroes...and then point out this match isn't in Japan. So that "superhero" effect would be gone, would it not?

As far as I can tell this match does not take place in a WWE ring. The "Rock" region could mean anything as far as I know because it is never specified. I do place emphasis on the location because it is specified, but the promotion isn't.

Lesnar and its easy for me. As has been said, Lesnar routinely beats top talents and this would be no different.

Those of you out there who are going to make smart ass remarks about Lesnar being slighted last year are correct. For those who voted for HBK last year because you couldn't see through KB's word forts, you are the reason Lesnar will once again run roughshod through this tournament. Just like the finals last year it makes no sense for Lesnar to lose this match.

Vote Lesnar.

Except that's not true at all. There are no traditional regions to these matches so you can't just say "this match takes place in WWE so Brock Smash." No. Tanahashi is more than capable of hanging with Lesnar and taking him out. Those that have followed his career more closely than I have can make a better case for him than I could. But simply dismissing a former 7 time and very popular world champion is very ignorant.

Except that's not true at all. There are no traditional regions to these matches so you can't just say "this match takes place in WWE so Brock Smash." No. Tanahashi is more than capable of hanging with Lesnar and taking him out. Those that have followed his career more closely than I have can make a better case for him than I could. But simply dismissing a former 7 time and very popular world champion is very ignorant.

I wasn't going to say this is WWE so Brock smash. I'm saying that Tanahashi is a top talent, very popular performer so Brock smash, because that has been his routine. No reason to say that this one is going to be any different. Many performers that can hang with Brock have been decimated. I see the same happening here.

Vote Lesnar.

I wasn't going to say this is WWE so Brock smash. I'm saying that Tanahashi is a top talent, very popular performer so Brock smash, because that has been his routine. No reason to say that this one is going to be any different. Many performers that can hang with Brock have been decimated. I see the same happening here.

Vote Lesnar.

No, Brock Smash has been his routine in the WWE right now. But if I take Brock's total body of work into consideration then he hasn't always been booked to look unstoppable. Tanahashi as a performer has been far more successful than Lesnar from a consistency standpoint.

And if you really, really want to drag kayfabe into this Lesnar only works a few times a year where as Tanahashi works a full time schedule year round. Going above and beyond each time. From that perspective he's much tougher than Lesnar.

No, Brock Smash has been his routine in the WWE right now. But if I take Brock's total body of work into consideration then he hasn't always been booked to look unstoppable. Tanahashi as a performer has been far more successful than Lesnar from a consistency standpoint.

So then let's talk about Brock outside of "right now" in WWE. Let's look at him beating Kurt Angle, in Kurt Angle's prime, in a match where he clearly suffered a major concussion that he gave himself. I know it was a stupid botch, but it's still true.

And if you really, really want to drag kayfabe into this Lesnar only works a few times a year where as Tanahashi works a full time schedule year round. Going above and beyond each time. From that perspective he's much tougher than Lesnar.

So you're saying that a fresh Lesnar would somehow be at a deficit against a guy working 300/365 days a year? Or, would he be fresher, and more ready to go? I'd buy this argument, if Brock came out with some ring rust every time, but he clearly stays in shape and on his game while he's not on TV.

So then let's talk about Brock outside of "right now" in WWE. Let's look at him beating Kurt Angle, in Kurt Angle's prime, in a match where he clearly suffered a major concussion that he gave himself. I know it was a stupid botch, but it's still true.

Kurt Angle got the win back at Summerslam. Brock also gave up losses to Benoit and Eddie Guerrero. As well as an overwhelming one to Goldberg. And that's just kayfabe. If we add in objective stuff Brock's stock is severely overblown.

So you're saying that a fresh Lesnar would somehow be at a deficit against a guy working 300/365 days a year? Or, would he be fresher, and more ready to go? I'd buy this argument, if Brock came out with some ring rust every time, but he clearly stays in shape and on his game while he's not on TV.

It's not the same thing though. If I am taking kayfabe from a literal standpoint then I must side with the guy that works his ass off and busts himself on a full time schedule and keeps coming back for more as compared to the guy that works a limited schedule at a much slower pace.

Last year people were using the pacing argument against old school guys because many worked 60-90 minutes or more, that 20 minutes of today's pacing is roughly the equivalent, or so the argument went. But Brock doesn't even work that. Compared to the pacing of a typical WWE match the pacing in NJPW is dialed up to 15.

Brock may win, but he's going to get his ass kicked in the process and look like he just went through a grinder.

Kurt Angle got the win back at Summerslam. Brock also gave up losses to Benoit and Eddie Guerrero. As well as an overwhelming one to Goldberg. And that's just kayfabe. If we add in objective stuff Brock's stock is severely overblown.

The loss to Goldberg was when both men were on their way out. Benoit and Eddie are not bad names to lose to, and those were also in the prime of their WWE careers. Basically, it takes special circumstances to score a win over Brock. He beat the Undertaker where he was most unbeatable. I think he can handle Tanahashi in Seattle.

Brock may win, but he's going to get his ass kicked in the process and look like he just went through a grinder.

This is the same thing as the Jericho/Rogers match. Winning is all that matters. Guys like Foley and Austin were bloodier than hell at the end of some of their greatest matches, but they won. I don't care if Lesnar has to be carried to the back, carrying his amputated leg in his arms. A win is a win.

This could be amazing.

First off, Tanahashi is as guilty as Lesnar for spamming moves, particularly in main event matches. I don't think I've seen a singles match from him that doesn't involve at least two or three High Fly Flows. So, to hold move spamming against Lesnar when his opponent has been doing it for far longer is laughable.

Second, Lesnar was a dud champion in Japan, we know, but he was still largely unbeatable against local stars and gaijin. By no means does that makes him unstoppable, but if I'm not mistaken, Kurt Angle was the only guy to pick up the 'w' versus Brock who was booked as a killer in Japan.

We are also in a location where Lesnar won his second world's championship so there is that working in dear old Brock's favour.

On the other hand, Hiroshi Tanahashi is the Japanese John Cena, effectively, and does the 'never give up'/'fighting spirit' shtick, so the likelihood is he'd go down swinging which is how Cena managed to beat Lesnar in 2012, he swung, knocked Brock down and then out. So there is a chance for Tanahashi.

Tanahashi's in-ring work is much more similar to say an Eddie Guerrero - fast, looks to dictate the pace, can work mat wrestling in but also uses lucha influences. We all know how Brock's sole meeting with Latino Heat went. Really its about whether Tanahashi can execute a game plan like a Guerrero or an Angle or whether he caves into the fool-hardy die on the sword type John Cena methodology.

So lets simulate this one right here:

Brock's going to try and out-maneuver Tanahashi at first, looking to keep things slow and steady, probably being canny enough to try and navigate around Tanahashi's style and take the incentive to set the pace of the bout himself; I.E. Suplex City. Given that Tanahashi has a dodgy neck, that probably hurts like a mother.

The first foray of suplexes would knock the wind out of Tanahashi's sails, but he'd get back into it with a few clever moves, say a dragon screw, and try and wear Brock down with a submission or two, most likely his cloverleaf. Brock being Brock though, he'd power out of that and try again for the suplexes with limited success.

By this point Hiroshi's figured out what 'Plan A' is for Lesnar (the much lauded "Brock Smash"). He digs deep and channels that ridiculous fighting spirit and uses it to try and instigate a slug-out. Brock doesn't buy it and tries to suplex him again, but Tanahashi manages to use the weakened legs of Lesnar to his advantage, dropping the Beast to one knee before taking the advantage with a few suplexes of his own.

He goes up top for the High Fly Flow, but Brock's up, so Tanahashi hits the crossbody variation. He begins to feel it, but still Brock rises, so Tanahashi goes to the opposite corner and hits it again, this time felling the beast. One more time he goes up top and spams that move to deliver the finishing blow. He lands, but Brock rises with Tanahashi in his arms, tosses him up top and executes him with the F5. And that's how this one ends.

Funkay just said the exact thing I see finishing the match. Tanahashi goes for the splash one too many times and Brock shows him the error of his ways.

Both of these guys would have a fantastic match. It certainly would not be a squash for Lesnar as Tanahashi can hold his own with the best today. I just do not see his fighting spirit style overcoming the freak strength of Lesnar.

Kurt Angle got the win back at Summerslam.

And then Bork won the rubber match in an Iron Man mMatch on Smackdown (best Ironman Match EVER by the way) by outsmarting and out-game planning Mr. 3 I's.

I like Tanahashi a lot, but I gotta go Bork, here. You're absolutely right that the winner of this match will look like they just fought ten men as opposed to one, though.

I really wish this was in Japan so Brock Lesnar could get KOed from this tournament. His path of dominance that has been going on for the past 2-3 years to stop somewhere. But in the US? In Rock region? I don't think that tanahashi stands a chance.

Oh I hate Lesnar. So much. So, so much. His appearance in wrestling has led me to stop watching it twice. His match against Cena and the manner he destroyed him is legitimately the most surprising thing I've ever seen in wrestling, I'll give him that. However, that is his sole redeeming feature. I can't abide him as a wrestler. Unfortunately, he's up against someone I don't know anything about at all. The posts of people who do seem to know what they're talking about are still saying Lesnar would win so I've gone with him, begrudgingly.

I like Brock Lesnar but his matches with John Cena, Seth Rollins and The Undertaker were bad enough to make me lose interest in him.

Overusage of german suplexes is irritating enough. In this second WWE run of Brock, we have mostly witnessed squash matches from Brock.

I am gonna give the win to Tanahashi considering that he is much better in-ring worker than Brock which is a main factor to determine a win in this tournament for me.

Kayfabe wise Brock might win but I will prefer these matches in realistic way.

Tanahashi wouldn't fly all the way to Seattle just to do the job. It's clear that Brock is already winning this poll, but it's completely unrealistic. If Brock can lose to Cena, he can lose to Tana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back