Rock Region, Seattle Subregion, First Round: (12) Bob Backlund vs. (21) Rikidozan

Who Wins This Match?

• Bob Backlund

• Rikidozan

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Seattle Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington.

key%20arena%20tickets.jpg

1816467.png

#12. Bob Backlund

Vs.

15846516_115891263294.jpg

#21. Rikidozan

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This match seems like up Ech's alley, why hasn't he posted to tell me who to vote for?

When I think of Rikidozan, I think of the guy who influenced Inoki. I don't know if that is a correct line of thought or not, but it is what springs to mind. Second thing that springs to mind is that the Yakuza murdered him at age 39.

When I think of Backlund I think of a guy who carried the then WWF title for a long time in his prime, only to come back in the early 90s with a revamped character and win the title again. Sure he tapped to Iron Sheik to end his historic run and went down in eight seconds on a house show to Diesel to end the second run, but that longevity is about unmatched.

I'm gonna go with Backlund.

I have to go with Rikidozan here, for some of the same reasons I'm going with Bulldog over Luger. Backlund just never entertained me, or made me feel like he was must-see wrestling. I've seen plenty of matches from his prime, before the return in the 90's, and saw everything in the 90's as it happened, and it just never did anything for me.

So I have gone back and forth on this one and I am ready to present my case...

Drawing power - As far as a drawing card goes Backlund was far bigger. Rikidozan achieved unparalleled feats such as drawing television ratings of 87.0 against Lou Thesz and later 67.0 against Destroyer. Compared to the US Japan has always had a history of inflated ticket prices, and even though Rikidozan himself was a huge draw, he just can't touch Backlund's longevity. As far as marketability went Rikidozan was easily superior. He was the poster boy for all things Japanese wrestling in the 50's and early 60's.

Longevity - Rikidozan's career only lasted 12 years, and he was cut down in his prime by a Yakuza gangster. Backlund had the second longest WWE championship reign after Bruno Sammartino. And like Bruno, Bob was an international known superstar that travelled everywhere, defended everywhere, and drew everywhere. By the end of the 5 year run fans may have been beginning to tire of him, but that didn't stop Backlund from reinventing himself and winning the world title in another era. Point Backlund.

Consistency - Rikidozan was practically undefeated his whole career. Very few men pinned Rikidozan. Even outside of Japan. Most of which did were foreigners. It was exceedingly rare for Dozan to lose to a fellow Japanese. One of his controversies was the shoot match where he kicked the ever loving shit out of Masahiko Kimura, he himself had been undefeated for a decade. And part of that stemmed from his JWA beneficiaries wanting to make Kimura into a top star, but Dozan was not willing to share the spotlight. Backlund did go [WWE kayfabe] undefeated for 5 years, but then lost in 8 seconds to Diesel of all people after choking the fuck out of Bret Hart. Like that makes any sense. Ultimately I'd say Rikidozan has the edge.

Charisma - Rikidozan embodied it, but so did Bob Backlund. Most are quick to write Backlund off as a boring champion, but he wasn't. Far from it actually. And his later run as Mr. Backlund showed how much versatility the man truly had. Rikidozan worked primarily as a super face in Japan and as a heel in the States, but there were times where he could and did work face in the States. His WWA world title match in 1962 against Fred Blassie in California is an example. I think Backlund has the edge here. As a performer he seemed much more natural and organic. If Dozan worked face in the States it's because his opponent was a huge heel. Otherwise he rode the train of nationalism like several others before and after him did. Like Santo in Mexico and Hogan in the 80's.

Accolades - On paper Backlund has the advantage. One of the top promotions in the world at the time entrusted him with their strap for an extended amount of time and he excelled. As the primary star power for the JWA, Rikidozan pushed himself as world champion, but the belt did not hold much prestige. It wasn't until Dozan defeated Thesz for the NWA International Heavyweight Championship [which itself was just a prop Thesz created so that he could wrestle in Japan and avoid the politics of the NWA] that Dozan finally held a credible title. Where Dozan made most of his money is through tournaments. The predecessor to the modern G1-Climax, Dozan's World League was very popular. Dozan won 5 of them, the reason he didn't win a 6th was because he was dead by that point. I think in the interest of success I give a slight edge to Dozan here. These tournaments did help start a tradition that is still enjoyed by Japanese wrestling fans today. But Backlund's historic run cannot be undersold.

Overall influence - Rikidozan laid the foundation for what is now modern Japanese wrestling. Whether or not his two greatest students Antonio Inoki and Giant Baba surpassed him is another debate entirely, but Rikidozan remains an important historical figure and national hero to this day, even if his later career was marred in controversy. Not wanting to put over domestic talent and making poor business decisions that would ultimately cost him his life. Backlund carried the WWE through most of the 70's and was the bridge between Bruno and Hogan. He was the golden boy that fans loved. And the recreation of his gimmick in the 90's afforded him even more respect. Tough call.

In ring ability - Most subjective category. According to Lou Thesz, Dozan was a capable grappler but not top class. Backlund on the other hand was. He was a former NCAA champion. Both of these guys were around the same size and possessed tremendous strength. Watching some old matches between Hogan and Backlund, Bob handled the 300 pound Hogan like a child at times, which is seriously impressive. Dozan had tremendous balance from his career as a sumo and utilized allot of those techniques.

Since one of these guys has to face the [very likely] Brock Smash next round, I feel more compelled to vote for Backlund because he's more known to the forums and his style and accomplishments mesh better with Brock's. From a kayfabe perspective it's Dozan's win. He rarely ever lost. And while Backlund did spend several years being largely unbeatable, his consistency is no where near Dozan's.

This is a tough one. Both guys were damn near unstoppable in their primes. Since Backlund wins in most categories and because he'll make for a better/more entertaining opponent for Brock next round. I'm voting for Backlund.

Vote Backlund.

This is a tough one. Both guys were damn near unstoppable in their primes. Since Backlund wins in most categories and because he'll make for a better/more entertaining opponent for Brock next round. I'm voting for Backlund.

Vote Backlund.

Really? How? He's about as boring as an ant farm. At least with Lesnar v Rikidozan, there's the Japanese wrestling aspect, and you're going with two guys who were/are without a doubt among the best in their sport. Backlund was a top guy, sure, but not nearly to the same level of Rikidozan.

Really? How? He's about as boring as an ant farm. At least with Lesnar v Rikidozan, there's the Japanese wrestling aspect, and you're going with two guys who were/are without a doubt among the best in their sport. Backlund was a top guy, sure, but not nearly to the same level of Rikidozan.

I didn't mean more entertaining in an actual match sense. I meant more entertaining for this tournament because people actually know who Backlund is and will be able to put up better arguments for him.

Either way this is to determine who is fed to Brock I believe.

We have a solid Japanese Icon vs a technically sound American champion. I think that Backlund snaps a bit and takes out Rikidozan here.

Two great wrestlers, neither of which pass the second round more likely than not, seeing as how Lesnar is ready to take some bitches to Suplex City. I'll go with Backlund on this one, seeing as how he had the better drawing power and thus stands a better chance against the Beast Incarnate, however small.
Vote Bob.

There's no disputing the fact that Rikidozan was bigger in Japan than Backlund was in the USA. Absolutely none. However, lets face the facts here - Rikidozan got over by being anti-American in post war Japan. Seattle is not post war Japan and being anti-American is not going to get you face pops. Most foreign megastars - Santo, Mil Mascaras, Inoki etc would probably go over Backlund. Not so Rikidozan, it just wouldn't make sense outside of Japan.

From my recollection Rikidozan did very well when wrestling in the states, so much so that he beat Freddy Blassie for the WWA World Heavyweight title while in the States so it would make plenty of sense for him to go over here, especially on the west coast where he primarily wrestled while visiting.

Bob Backlund was a great wrestler and great champion but I can't conceivably put him over the guy who essentially built Japanese Wrestling on his own blood, sweat and tears. He was a hero in his country and barely ever lost, he was so good that Lou Thesz put him over and Thesz isn't going to put over someone who doesn't deserve it. The guy oozes charisma, had great longevity and certainly had a bigger influence on the sport than Bob Backlund did.

Both are great but Rikidozan is simply greater, he deserves this win and he deserves your vote.

There's no disputing the fact that Rikidozan was bigger in Japan than Backlund was in the USA. Absolutely none. However, lets face the facts here - Rikidozan got over by being anti-American in post war Japan. Seattle is not post war Japan and being anti-American is not going to get you face pops. Most foreign megastars - Santo, Mil Mascaras, Inoki etc would probably go over Backlund. Not so Rikidozan, it just wouldn't make sense outside of Japan.

I disagree. Dozan was cheered in the States if the crowd didn't like his opponent. That happened when he fought Fred Blassie for the WWA world title in California, a match which Rikidozan won. It's not like the guy's success was limited only to Japan. Far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back