Rey Mysterio Return?

j.beaner

Occasional Pre-Show
Its come to my attention that rey mysterio is set to return "sometime in September". that being said it got me thinking where he would fit in, in the modern landscape. Coming off the heels of last Mondays RAW I heard criticism of the rebel group in the ring as the show went off the air. The criticism was regaurding the star power in the ring. RVD and Daniel Bryan were the only former world champions, if I'm not mistaken.

Would it be a wise decision to align Rey with the rebel baby faces?
Do you believe WWE would be willing to put Rey in this high profile of a spot so early?
And if not where would Rey fit in if not with the rebels?

it's obvious the star power is needed at the moment, with John Cena, Kane, & Sheamus all out with injury, it leaves a gap In the roster. I think often times the IWC tends to overlook established talent proforming consistently. Rey has been thay guy. Also let us not forget 2013 has been the year of established stars, I.E. John Cena Mark Henry Big Show Randy Orton Triple H. No doubt newer talent has stepped up daniel bryan, ryback, curtis axel, wyatt family. But WWE has a philosophy of allowing the established stars to pass the torch, when the timing is right. And so far this year has been about positioning those vetrans in main event programing. Rey is only 38 years of age and is great from a marketing stand point.
Thoughts? Comments? Criticism? Do they even need another member?

We are constantly hearing the gimic from Del Rio of "Mexico'a only hero", I have always viewed this as leading into the Mysterio vs. Del Rio. Would Myseterio return to help put someone over?, probably not. Would the WWE let Mysterio have another title run?, maybe if they had Rey drop it the next night to a Lesner etc.

Mysterio to breakup the Del Rio armbar on RVD, Del Rio vs. Mysterio (with Ricardo)

I don't see much other use for an aging injury prone star like Rey.. Cash in on the Mexico gimic one more time then make him "part time"

We are constantly hearing the gimic from Del Rio of "Mexico'a only hero", I have always viewed this as leading into the Mysterio vs. Del Rio. Would Myseterio return to help put someone over?, probably not. Would the WWE let Mysterio have another title run?, maybe if they had Rey drop it the next night to a Lesner etc.

Mysterio to breakup the Del Rio armbar on RVD, Del Rio vs. Mysterio (with Ricardo)

I don't see much other use for an aging injury prone star like Rey.. Cash in on the Mexico gimic one more time then make him "part time"

I can see where you're coming from but we've already seen Mysterio vs Del Rio countless times and I dunno if another feud between the two would really accomplish much.

I can't see them having too much faith in Rey now, he's so injury-prone, putting him in any type of long-term storyline would be risky. His best option now is to just do what Jericho does and help put over the newer talent.

I think he wretled at a WWE live event this weekend, and it will be nice to see him back in the low to mid card.

It is hard to get him in a full time storyline because of the danger of re-injury so I dob't see him being better than a mid carder

I think having him return to face Alberto Del Rio would be the most logical. He could do a run in to help his former tag partner RVD. They haven't feuded since Del Rio's debut in 2010 so I think it would seem fresh again. Afterwards I could see him feuding with Ryback playing his usual ultimate underdog giant killer role. They could always have him tag with Sin Cara again and challenge Rollins and Reigns for the tag team titles.

More starpower couldn't hurt. The right kind of starpower. A way-past-his-prime kiddie-hero does not fit that bill.

Rey is as good as done. Maybe he should have one last hurrah. One last special match at some point in the future and properly put some guy over. I do suppose he deserves as much. Not sure against who. I really liked his Wrestlemania match against Cody Rhodes a couple of years back. Something tlike that. But that's it then. Be gone, Rey. Retire. Retire as a legend, but retire.

Ricardo needs to be rey mysterio ring announcer!
i say alberto injures rvd just for rey to return and take the spot of a injured rvd. defeat alberto and become the world heavyweight championship, then have a few matches with del rio, then let del rio leave the main event picutre, and let rey mysterio feud with guys like wade barrett or the shield.

Ricardo needs to be rey mysterio ring announcer!
i say alberto injures rvd just for rey to return and take the spot of a injured rvd. defeat alberto and become the world heavyweight championship, then have a few matches with del rio, then let del rio leave the main event picutre, and let rey mysterio feud with guys like wade barrett or the shield.

Funnily enough I read the other day that the plan was for Ricardo to become Mysterio's ring announcers when RVD takes time off after Battleground. I think it'll be a decent fit.

I wouldn't be wholly against Rey taking the WHC off Del Rio, i'm not really sure what they're planning for the WHC, I don't see Sandow cashing in anytime, although I would like to see Rhodes have a run with it upon his return.

I personally would love to see Ricardo with Mysterio. I think Ricardo is one of the best performers on the roster he's really sleazy and cowardly as a heel. But he is full of heart and fire as a babyface, he was pretty much the best part of the Del Rio's face act, more so than the up beat tempo of the Del Rio's music haha!

As for Mysterio's return I would expect him to slot into the WHC scene as opposed to the Corporate feud, simply because they already have one underdog in the corporate storyline.

I really hope that this is his last run. I think it is best for him and the WWE for him to retire and be inducted into the Hall of Fame. The injuries aren't doing him any favour and when on return his performances in the ring are nowhere near where they used to be.

I have always thought that Rey should retire with a retirement angle and they are several names that could do the job, Ryback, Axel, Barrett, Sandow, Wyatt, The Shield are all good examples that could benefit from retiring Rey Mysterio. Other than that, I'm not sure what he does. He shouldn't have a feud with Del Rio, we have seen that and it wasn't particularly good (although he would be a great choice to drop the belt to Sandow)

The corporation would be a plausible idea. They could use Rey for his name and popularity. I suppose him and another superstar (Gabriel, Zayn, Ryan, The Miz) could form a tag-team to feud with The Shield.

Align Rey with the "rebels" before a retirement angle heading into WM30. That is how I would personally handle Rey but I wouldn't be shocked to see him feud with Del Rio for the next four months :banghead:

According to an article on wrestlinginc.com, Mysterio is said to be returning to WWE on October 16 as part of the company's latest tour in Mexico. He appeared at a house show last night in Hidalgo, Texas on one crutch and conducted an in-ring promo in front of the crowd. Now "return" can be used loosely in this sense. He might return as an active wrestler or simply as a means of goosing the crowds via appearances like the one in Hidalgo last night.

If Rey returns as an active wrestler then, personally, I think it should be his last run. A retirement angle COULD be interesting if done right, especially as part of the angle with the latest power regime. Mysterio is a respected veteran whose been wrestling since he was in his mid teens and is the physically smallest wrestler to make it to such a big level in American wrestling. Why not use the angle to "retire" him, and I don't necessarily mean "retire" in something as tired him having to retire if he loses a match. The regime has already garnered great heat by repeatedly screwing over Daniel Bryan out of the WWE Championship, and they could get more by costing Mysterio his career.

The answer is simple in my opinion. Set things up in which the Raw locker room is barricaded after Mysterio has come out to the ring for a match or to cut a promo. Use a couple of golf carts that you sometimes see security personnel use in some buildings and pin the door shut. A common golf cart can weigh up to 1,000 pounds and, depending on the layout of the halls in the locker rooms in whatever building they're in, one could be put right against the door with another one parked behind it at an angle. Because of the small size of the door and its frame, the wrestlers wouldn't be able to exert the leverage & force needed as only a couple of guys at a time can fit through the door. When Mysterio is out there alone, have The Shield deliver a vicious beating that is used as a means of writing Rey off as an active pro wrestler, but he can stay on as a rallying point for the babyfaces.

It's announced the next week that Rey has to retire from active competition due to the "injuries" he sustained and due to the beating only aggravating old injury issues. This could even be used as a turning point for the babyfaces as the regime has gone too far. They'd gone beyond screwjob endings in which guys are don't fit the "image" they want are cheated out of titles or desperate wrestlers are placed in embarrassing situations for their amusement. Now, they've "taken" a man's livelihood by "crippling" him, a man who happens to be a locker room leader and respected veteran.

Little Rey Rey. ZZZZZZZZZZ, same old recycled moves, same unbelievable story. Unless they put him in a feud with Hornswoggle..... I mean seriously, his time has run out, and the E really does not need another children's hero. Unless they tuen him into a mega sadistic super heel, that under minds every aspect of the biz, I am grievously un interested.

I wish the WWE would sign El Hijo de Rey Misterio to have a feud with Rey. It would be an awesome way to bring in a new masked wrestler and keep someone from the Misterio family. El Hijo de Rey Misterio is Rey's cousin and is the real son of Rey Misterio Sr. He retired for a short period but came back to the business. He's only 24 but started wrestling in 2006 so he has quite a bit of experience. It would be awesome if they brought him in to battle Rey for the namesake and ultimately have WWE Rey put him over in the end. WWE Rey could then retire and WWE would have a possible new start on their hands.

Since that won't ever happen though I hope Rey comes back for one last run and then retires. I don't want them to put a title on him or anything of the sort. Bring him in and use him to build up some younger wrestlers then let him go. Maybe give him one last Wrestlemania then he can be gone.

While I think Rey is far, far past his prime, I do think he could fit in well with the rebel babyface group with Daniel Bryan.

Mysterio is still hugely popular with fans and is over enough to slot in anywhere on the card. I wouldn't be against him facing off against Dean Ambrose in an ultimately fruitless challenge for the US title. I think those 2 could have a good little rivalry, with Ambrose's reputation increasing by beating a former World Champion in Mysterio to retain the US championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back