Report: The Accension set to feud with legendary tag team?

That N Word

Actively evolving
Spidey will yell at me again of course lol, just kidding bro don't get offended. But WrestleZone's main site has reported that The New Age Outlaws are set to return and feud with The Accension to get them over and ready. Personally I am excited to see it and knew it was coming. I knew since their debut they would have some sort of mini-feud with the New Age Outlaws possibly leading to a triple threat tag title match between The Accension,The Uso's,and The Outlaws. Think about what they did for The Uso's and Shield last year. Uso's went on to be the face of the tag division and The Shield went on to have a huge summer. Not only as a group but then in singles competition (Even though that had more to do with Haitch/Evolution.)

I was kinda hoping when I saw the headline that since Ron Simmons was coming back it would be the APA. To me, the APA would give more cred to The Ascension than the NAO.

The last time I saw the New Age Outlaws they were partnered with Kane in a squash match with the Shield. The NAO were the one's getting the worst end of it.

So how exactly did they help the Shield get over? I would say it was the other way around. The Shield made them look important last year. I would say more fans than not wanted to see the Shield at Mania not the NAO's.

I will say it will be interesting seeing them get destroyed again.

I was kinda hoping when I saw the headline that since Ron Simmons was coming back it would be the APA. To me, the APA would give more cred to The Ascension than the NAO.

Me too! Especially since JBL buries them on commentary. They could even brought in Stevie Ray and have Harlem Heat face The Ascension. Booker T said on RAW last week, they weren't talking about Harlem Heat.

Tbh I don't understand the plan for the tag division in WWE. There is only one face tag team and which are The Usos. Argh don't remind me about Los Matadores they hardly get any crowd reaction but they're a pretty good tag team.

I expected the Ascension to debut as a neutral tag team or a face maybe but instead they harassed the legendary tag teams and turned heel as soon as they debuted. But why there isn't enough face tag teams in WWE.

So if the Ascension feuds with the New age outlaws it'll put more heat on them which will make the tag division terribly boring.

WWE hasn't cared about the tag division in years. I can't remember the last time they actually cared about it. I remember in the 80's/90's it seemed like there was always 10-20 teams and there were teams that seemed deserving to hold the belts that didn't. Now, 3/4 of the tag teams hold the belts then they break up 2 months later.

This sounds incredibly lame. Hopefully this is a one night ass beating and the NOA are promptly removed from television.

It's good use of the New Age Outlaws in my opinion. While they're both getting up there, they can still deliver inside the ring as we saw with them during WrestleMania season last year.

As to who would bring more to a feud, the New Age Outlaws or the APA, both have their advantages. The APA were a couple of hardnosed brawlers and the Outlaws had some great entertainment value. When I think of legendary tag teams, I think the Outlaws fit the bill more than the APA, at least from my perspective. When it came to top teams during the Attitude Era, the names that usually spring to my mind first are Edge & Christian, the Hardy Boys, the Dudley Boyz and the New Age Outlaws.

From a wrestling standpoint, I think it's likely that the Outlaws could bring about stronger matches. Ron Simmons doesn't have a third of the muscle mass he had 15 years ago, plus he hasn't been in the ring in years, neither has JBL for that matter. At the same time, I think that JBL could carry the APA well when it comes to promos. Since he's been so vocal about the "competition" the Ascension has faced so far, it would seem appropriate that he & Simmons team up one last night to ultimately put them over.

Either way, I think it could be good use of either of these teams, though we know the Outlaws can still go whereas it's up in the air in terms of the APA.

WWE hasn't cared about the tag division in years. I can't remember the last time they actually cared about it. I remember in the 80's/90's it seemed like there was always 10-20 teams and there were teams that seemed deserving to hold the belts that didn't.

Yeah, this is hyperbole at best. During the 80s & 90s, there were still only ever a small handful of tag teams that were money. During the 80s, you had the British Bulldogs, the Hart Foundation & Demolition as the only genuinely strong tag teams in WWF that made a splash in the company. Just about anyone else were used as jobber tag or the titles were put on guys like Rick Martel & Tito Santana, who weren't really priorities.

During the first half of the 90s, you had the Legion of Doom & the Steiner Brothers. The second half of the 90s, the only really great tag team in the company was the New Age Outlaws. Guys like Edge & Christian, The Hardy Boys & The Dudley Boyz would rise to prominence beginning in the early 2000s, but this was when WWE started playing hot potato with every title they had, a common theme for both WWE and WCW during the Attitude Era.

In-between the good teams, you had loads of lame tag teams like Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake, Mike Rotunda & Barry Windham, Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik, The Colossal Connection, The Natural Disasters, The Quebecers, Men On A Mission, The Smokin' Gunns, The Bodydonnas, The Godwins, The Headbangers, The Big Boss Man & Ken Shamrock, Too Cool and loads of other tag teams.

I've never really seen a tag team division in any company with 10 to 20 great tag teams. While it's certainly true that the WWE's tag team scene, for the most part, hasn't been much to speak of for a long time, with an exception being from about September 2012 to about September 2014, it's never been this paragon of greatness. I know people like to look at the "good ol' days" through rose colored glasses, but I've been watching WWE since I was probably 5 years old and I don't remember a roster jam packed with championship caliber teams.

I'm ok with The Outlaws coming back to feud with The Ascension. Even though Road Dogg and Billy Gunn are aging they haven't lost a step in the ring and they held there own during there run last year. It will give the Ascension some relevance and direction rather than beating no name jobbers every week. At the next ppv Fast Lane, maybe they could have a "Dumpster Match" with the New Age Outlaws vs The Ascension.

Simply put: It's WrestleMania season, so it's the time of year where HHH's "boys", as well as HHH, start planting the seeds to make sure that they cash in, and make it onto the WrestleMania card. This year will be no different. In a perfect world, we might get the APA, the Dudleys or Harlem Heat to face the Ascension at WrestleMania, but why give the fans something new? Sell some DX merchandise WrestleMania weekend, let the "boys" do their pre-match schtick, and let Road Dogg do his shaky punch combo/knee drop. And why give the fans Taker vs. Sting when we can watch HHH come to the ring dressed in gold, carried like a God, and watch him look unstoppable against Sting (just like he was conveniently booked vs. Taker), only to have him eventually do the job, continuing my belief that his whole career, HHH has always been the guy working with "the man".

Still a huge pop for the NAO, I think they can come back in and work the ring for the Ascension, but what JBL said was 100% on the mark and creative need to wobble their head for the angle.

Undersold before they stepped in the ring and not the right image for them.

Simply put: It's WrestleMania season, so it's the time of year where HHH's "boys", as well as HHH, start planting the seeds to make sure that they cash in, and make it onto the WrestleMania card. This year will be no different. In a perfect world, we might get the APA, the Dudleys or Harlem Heat to face the Ascension at WrestleMania, but why give the fans something new? Sell some DX merchandise WrestleMania weekend, let the "boys" do their pre-match schtick, and let Road Dogg do his shaky punch combo/knee drop. And why give the fans Taker vs. Sting when we can watch HHH come to the ring dressed in gold, carried like a God, and watch him look unstoppable against Sting (just like he was conveniently booked vs. Taker), only to have him eventually do the job, continuing my belief that his whole career, HHH has always been the guy working with "the man".

Triple H has lost three of the last four matches he's had at Wrestlemania and will likely lose a fourth to Sting. Stop complaining about Triple H. I'm no major HHH mark, but he spent Wrestlemania 20-22 putting people over in the main event. The Undertaker/HBK/HHH saga was arguably some of the best long-form storytelling WWE has engaged in ever and a major aspect of that story was in the form of HHH's in-ring/promo work. Sure, he put himself over Brock Lesnar in NJ, which I thought was ludicrous, but I also think WWE was somewhat justified to put him over Brock when they'd been under the impression that he was leaving again. When he re-signed, Brock went over. Lastly, HHH put over Daniel Bryan last year on the biggest stage in the opening match in a classic.

He isn't perfect (Summer of Punk debacle), but his involvement in big matches makes sense. How do we even know Taker can wrestle this year? Who bigger for Sting to wrestle in a believable match than HHH? Moreover, who can afford to take a loss to a 50+ year old two years removed from defeating Brock Lesnar?

Also, the last time I remember there being more than two solid, entertaining teams was when the WWE feuded The Dudley Boyz, The Hardy's, and Edge/Christian and a major reason anyone remembers them is because they put on classic spot-fests. Three teams MAX. The rest is conjecture. SO many of those great tag teams in the last 20 years or so were the ONLY show in town shuffling through glorified opponents. If we want to pine for some glory days, how about pining for the IC title. Man, I miss me some IC title feuds.

Sort-of unrelated, but...uh, does WWE think this is the way to get a team over? The (atrocity of an) announce team treats them like clowns and they got beat up by a bunch of old dudes last night. Way to at least give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back