Ray Allen or Reggie Miller?

Who's the better player?

• Ray Allen

• Reggie Miller

Results are only viewable after voting.

jmt225

Global Moderator
So, who's the better player and shooter between these two? They basically have the same style, so it's a must that they get compared, but who would you say has been more affected with that style throughout his career?

..............................................​

To me, the answer is without a doubt Ray Allen.

In my opinion, Ray Allen is the greatest shooter throughout the history of basketball. The guy is lights out, and he knows how to get himself open. Like Reggie, he can't create his own shot off the dribble, but man... he knows how to create space off the ball and make himself 'open' with as little room as possible. Plus, the fact his release is so quick helps him as well. It's such a beauty to watch him play the game.

Also, the fact that he has an NBA Championship (where he should have won MVP honors, I might add), something Reggie was never able to accomplish, helps him as well. Now he has set the record for most threes in an NBA Finals Game, and he has a chance to win another Championship this year, and perhaps even get that MVP honor he should have received in 2008.

Reggie Miller was a great, great player, who hit so many tremendous clutch shots throughout his career that it's just ridiculous, but Ray Allen could do everything Reggie did and do it better. He is that good, and I think if he continues to play like he did last night throughout this series against the Lakers, then he will finally start getting the recognition he deserves, which is without a doubt one of the greatest to ever play the game.

To me it's Reggie Miller and as a Pistons fan it pains me to say that. You talk about Allen's championship but Miller never had as good a team around him as Allen did a couple years ago. It's not like Allen carried that Celtics team, he was the third option. Until they got Jermaine O'Neal, Miller always was the number one guy.

The only time Allen was the legit number one guy was in Seattle and in his 6 seasons there they only made the playoffs once. Allen's teams have always been more successful when he is the second option or option 1a like with Big Dog in Milwaukee.

The career stats between the two are basically a wash but I give the edge to Miller because he was always capable of being "the man" for his team and history has shown that Ray Allen has struggled in that role.

This is without a doubt Reggie Miller. Reggie was always a valuable number one scorer and he was always the go to guy. He never had that good team around him so his team pretty much ran through Miller. Miller goes on a slump the Pacers went on a slump. Ray Allen was a number one scorer for years but he was never a consistent scene in the playoffs like Miller was. You give Miller, Rondo, Garnett, and Pierce and he wins an NBA championship like Allen did two years ago. They're pretty much the same player when it comes to there style of play. But Miller was always clutch. He had a knack for getting open even when everyone and there mother knew he was getting the ball. So yeah I give it to Miller...

Reggie Miller. He never had the team Allen had/has in Boston. Miller was always the go to guy for the Pacers. And as was mentioned, was always able to hit the clutch shots even when it was a given that he was going to take it.

Allen has never been able to take on the kinda role Reggie had as the leader of the Pacers. That's not Ray's game. As you can see with Boston, he thrives on being the 2nd or 3rd option on a team. But when it comes down to being a leader and 1st option, that's where Allen shows weakness.

To me it's Reggie Miller and as a Pistons fan it pains me to say that. You talk about Allen's championship but Miller never had as good a team around him as Allen did a couple years ago. It's not like Allen carried that Celtics team, he was the third option. Until they got Jermaine O'Neal, Miller always was the number one guy.

Reggie might have been the #1 guy, but he still had some great teams. In fact, look at this line-up from 1999/2000:

Reggie Miller
Jalen Rose
Mark Jackson
Dale Davis
Rik Smits

And they had guys like Sam Perkins, Austin Croshere, and Travis Best coming off the bench. You can't tell me that team's not capable of winning a championship. It's just Reggie was too inconsistent in the Finals for them to take it that year.

The only time Allen was the legit number one guy was in Seattle and in his 6 seasons there they only made the playoffs once.

Those teams were terrible first of all. Secondly, Allen was injury plagued at this point, and when he wasn't... he showed what he could do in the 04/05 season I think it was when he lead Seattle to win 50 games and make the playoffs.

Allen's teams have always been more successful when he is the second option or option 1a like with Big Dog in Milwaukee.

How wasn't Ray Allen the Number 1 guy all those years in Milwaukee? You cannot tell me it was Glenn fucking Robinson carrying them to the playoffs every year. That'll be like saying Antoine Walker was carrying Boston when he and Pierce were the focal point of the team.

The career stats between the two are basically a wash but I give the edge to Miller because he was always capable of being "the man" for his team and history has shown that Ray Allen has struggled in that role.

You put Ray Allen on those same Indiana teams, and they have the same, or better, amount of success as Reggie had with them. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

Besides, it's not Ray Allen's fault that he was smart enough to join a team in his latter days that was championship quality and Reggie wasn't. Reggie had the chance and didn't take it.

Reggie Miller. He was THE guy for the Pacers and had the sweetest shot ever, Ray Allen is close but no one is Reggie. He might not have the ring that Allen has but he also didn't have to go to a team with two other superstars to get it. He also had tougher competition in his day with the likes of Jordan's Bulls and Ewing's Knicks. I'm not taking anything away from Ray Allen, he will go down as one of the best shooters ever to play the game, but it will be behind Reggie Miller.

Reggie might have been the #1 guy, but he still had some great teams. In fact, look at this line-up from 1999/2000:

Reggie Miller
Jalen Rose
Mark Jackson
Dale Davis
Rik Smits

And they had guys like Sam Perkins, Austin Croshere, and Travis Best coming off the bench. You can't tell me that team's not capable of winning a championship. It's just Reggie was too inconsistent in the Finals for them to take it that year.

They didn't win the Finals that year because they were going up against an emerging Kobe and Shaq in the absolute height of his prime.

And that team? Reggie was the only guy who was a game-changer. Jalen was in his prime, for sure...but he couldn't take over a game like Reggie could. Dale Davis couldn't do anything but rebound. Mark Jackson was a good point guard, but clearly...he was a role player. Smits...well he was clumsy and slow. He could score, but he was no match for Shaq.

Reggie was good enough to get his team to the conference finals like 5,000,000 times, but they were always matched up against some kind of freakishly awesome team.

Ray Allen won his title with 2 other future Hall of Famers on the roster...perhaps a third in Rajon Rondo. When Garnett was out in last year's playoffs, the Celts sunk.

Reggie is the clear choice here.

I voted ray allen his performence last night was crazy broke the record for most threes in a finals game he won that game for celtics last night he has always been good and will end up in the hall of fame

I don't know. Really tough choice here. On one hand, Allen does have the title and has proven himself to be one of the greatest playoff shooters of all time. However, he's clearly not the top guy on this team. Maybe not even the 2nd guy. Reggie was always the number 1 guy on his team, without a question. Sure, he didn't win anything, but put him on a team with Pierce and KG and I don't doubt he would've won a title.

I'm not taking anything away from Allen, he's great, but he can be taken out of the game, as the Lakers did in the 2nd half simply by not leaving him. It was more difficult to take Reggie out of the game, so I'll have to go Miller by the slimmest of margins.

I'm saying Reggie. He's got one of the sweetest looking jump shots, ever.

Look at Ray. He has NO pressure on him. He's not number one, he's not number two, he might not even be number three. (I'd say, Pierce, Rondo, Garnett, Allen). Granted, he's one of the greatest "off-ball" movers in the game, and creates his own plays. (Could you see Nash and R. Allen on the same team!? OMFG!)

I know this really adds nothing, but damn you for making me decide,lol. I can't pick one over the other, they are two favorites of mine and they both play their roles well. After game 2 of the finals with Ray Allen setting a new finals record for 3's in a game and I think highest 3 percentage(could be off on that) much more could be said in his case, and his career isn't over. I think Reggie's resume stacks up quite impressively as well.

Reggie Miller
Jalen Rose
Mark Jackson
Dale Davis
Rik Smits

He had the occasional great team but Ray Allen had more great teams around him then Reggie did.

No, they just ran into a better LA team led by Shaq and Kobe.
Those teams were terrible first of all. Secondly, Allen was injury plagued at this point, and when he wasn't... he showed what he could do in the 04/05 season I think it was when he lead Seattle to win 50 games and make the playoffs.

That's another point for Reggie, he rarely got injured. Plus Ray Allen played just as many games in the 05-06 season with basically the same roster and they went from 50 to 35 wins.

How wasn't Ray Allen the Number 1 guy all those years in Milwaukee? You cannot tell me it was Glenn fucking Robinson carrying them to the playoffs every year. That'll be like saying Antoine Walker was carrying Boston when he and Pierce were the focal point of the team.

The three years that Milwaukee team was elite, Glen Robinson led the team in scoring once, they tied once, and Allen led them the third season. Big Dog and Allen were 1 and 1a those years. The true leader of those teams was really Sam Cassell.

You put Ray Allen on those same Indiana teams, and they have the same, or better, amount of success as Reggie had with them. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

I highly doubt that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back