Allen Iverson-Hall of Famer?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
A couple of weeks ago my all time favorite NBA player officially announced his retirement from the NBA. The one and only A.I., the Answer, Allen Iverson. Since his retirement, however, I've heard people question whether or not A.I. should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Let's look at some of his achievements:

NBA Most Valuable Player (2001)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1997)
11x NBA All-Star (2000-2010)
2x NBA All-Star MVP (2001, 2005)
4x NBA Scoring Champion (1999, 2001, 2002, 2005)
3x NBA Steals Leader (2001, 2002, 2003)
3x All-NBA 1st Team (1999, 2001, 2005)
3x All-NBA 2nd Team (2000, 2002, 2003)
All-NBA 3rd Team (2006)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1997)

He has the sixth highest regular season scoring average of all time at 26.7ppg and he has the second highest post season scoring average at 29.7ppg(Which is second only to Michael Jordan).

Let's face it, the only thing the man didn't accomplish in his very successful career is he never won a championship. Well hell, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, and countless others in the Hall of Fame never won a championship either. I know I'm going to read countless people post in this thread about how selfish he was and about how he didn't play defense and all the other misconceptions people have about A.I. That's all to be expected, however, I just want to know if the people of this forum think that he deserves the be in the Hall of Fame or not.

Iverson deserves to be in. Was he selfish, totally, but I don't blame him for most of it. How bad were some of those 6ers teams he played on, like come on, give the guy some talent. In 2001(his MVP year), Iverson carried the team all the way to the finals against the Lakers. Coming into game one, the Lakers had yet to lose a playoff game, sweeping Portland, Sacramento, and San Antonio. In game one Iverson went off and pretty much single-handedly beat the Lakers, dropping 48. Sure LA would go on to win the next four, but that night Iverson proved he deserved the MVP award that year.

His post Philly days showed how much he slowed in his advancing age, but no doubt does he deserve the nod. Some writers may look at his attitude as a deterrent and not vote him in in his first year of eligibility, but he will get in and he deserves it.

If all voters are supposed to look at is how well he played.....then sure, AI should be in. Yes, he was as selfish a player as I've ever seen on the court, but his feeling that teams should be built around him were apparently confirmed by the teams that took him on, no?

If voters are supposed to regard factors other than his on-court play when determining whether to enshrine him, there's more of a question, obviously. I refer to this statement that is supposed to guide NBA HOF voters:

RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
After the vote of the Screening Committees, those candidates who are recommended to be put forth to the Honors Committee will first be reviewed by the BHOF Board of Trustees. At this time, should it be determined by the Board of Trustees that an individual has damaged the integrity of the game of basketball, he or she shall be deemed not worthy of Enshrinement and removed from consideration.

The words are clear, but who determines what "damage the integrity" means?

Would I put AI in the HOF? Yes. Does it really matter, anyway?

If we're to start disqualifying people because of their character, there are probably tons of guys in the Hall already who make Allen Iverson look like Mother Teresa.

Even though his attitude and play in Detroit was completely unprofessional and pissed me off, he is still a HOFer. When he was in Philly and even Denver he was dynamic and one of the best players in the game. Because of his attitude he won't be a first ballot guy but eventually he'll get in.

I don't see why he shouldn't be inducted into the Hall of Fame, to me he's the best little guard to ever play Basketball and like Yaz said he carried those 76ers to the NBA Finals, it's a shame he had to retire without a championship though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back