Best NBA Draft

DaBadGuy

Occasional Pre-Show
There have been many drafts in the NBA that has produced some very great talent, but I want to focus on just 3 of them. Many may say that the 1984, 1996, and 2003 draft are some of the greatest drafts in not only NBA but sports history. And their are loads of talent in all 3 of these drafts with Hall of Famers, future Hall of Famers, All Stars, and many other noticable players. But out this 3 which would you consider the best. What I am going to do is just focus on the elite players of each draft carrer achievments.

1984 NBA Draft The Houston Rockets used their first pick to draft Hakeem Olajuwon, The Portland Trail Blazers, who obtained the Indiana Pacers' first-round draft pick from a previous trade, used the second overall pick to draft Sam Bowie from the University of Kentucky. The Chicago Bulls used the third pick to draft College Player of the Year Michael Jordan. Jordan went on to win the Rookie of the Year Award and was also selected to the All-NBA Second Team in his rookie season. Jordan's teammate at North Carolina, Sam Perkins, was drafted fourth by the Dallas Mavericks. Charles Barkley was drafted fifth by the Philadelphia 76ers. Olajuwon, Jordan and Barkley were among the nine players with college eligibility remaining who declared for the draft. Olajuwon, Jordan and Barkley, along with the 16th pick John Stockton, have been inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. They were also named in the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History list announced at the league's 50th anniversary in 1996. The 1984 draft class is considered to be one of the best in NBA history as it produced four Hall of Famers and seven All-Stars

1984 NBA Draft Elite Players
Hakeem Olajuwon
2× NBA champion
2× NBA Finals MVP
1× NBA MVP
2× Defensive Player of Year
6× All-NBA First Team
3× All-NBA Second Team
3× All-NBA Third Team
5× All-Defensive First Team
12× All-Star
NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

Michael Jordan
6x time NBA Champion and NBA Finals MVP
5x time NBA MVP
10x NBA Scoring Titles
3x time steals leader
14x NBA All-Star Selections
3x time NBA All-Star Game MVP
11x All-NBA Selections
9x All-Defensive First Team Selections
2x time NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion – 1987, 1988
NBA Rookie of the Year – 1984
NBA Defensive Player of the Year – 1988

Charles Barkley
1× NBA MVP
11× NBA All-Star
5× All-NBA First Team Selection
5× All-NBA Second Team Selection
1× All-NBA Third Team
1985 NBA All-Rookie Team
1× NBA All-Star Game MVP

John Stockton
10× NBA All-Star
2× All-NBA First Team Selection
6× All-NBA Second Team Selection
3× All-NBA Third Team Selection
5× NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection

Other notable All Stars and players
(Alvin Robertson, Kevin Willis, Otis Thorpe, Sam Perkins, Sam Bowie, Terence Stansbury, Vern Fleming, Jerome Kersey, Rick Carlisle, Jay Humpries, )

1996 NBA DraftThe 1996 NBA Draft is widely considered to be one of the deepest and most talented NBA drafts in history, with over one-third of the first round picks, as well as the undrafted Ben Wallace, later becoming NBA All-Stars. The draft contained three players that won NBA MVP awards (Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash) and seven other All-Stars (Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Ray Allen, Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, Stephon Marbury, Jermaine O'Neal, Peja Stojaković, Antoine Walker). Moreover, seven players from this draft, plus Wallace, have been named to at least one All-NBA Team, the most among any draft. The draft class also produced two future Defensive Players of the Year in Wallace (a four-time winner of this award) and Marcus Camby (2007).

1996 NBA Draft Elite Players
Allen Iverson
NBA Most Valuable Player
NBA Rookie of the Year
11× NBA All-Star
4× NBA scoring champion
3× All-NBA First Team
3× All-NBA Second Team
All-NBA Third Team
NBA All-Rookie First Team
2× NBA All-Star Game MVP

Kobe Bryant
5× NBA Champion
2× NBA Finals MVP
NBA Most Valuable Player
12× NBA All-Star
2× NBA scoring champion
8× All-NBA First Team
2× All-NBA Second Team
2× All-NBA Third Team
8× All-Defensive First Team
2× All-Defensive Second Team
NBA All-Rookie Second Team
3× NBA All-Star Game MVP

Steve Nash
2× NBA Most Valuable Player
7× NBA All-Star
3× All-NBA First Team
2× All-NBA Second Team
2× All-NBA Third Team

Other notable All Stars and players
(Stephon Marbury, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Ben Wallace, Marcus Camby, Kerry Kittles, Derek Fisher)

2003 NBA Draft The Cleveland Cavaliers, who had a 22.50 percent probability of obtaining the first selection, won the NBA Draft Lottery on May 22, and Cleveland chairman Gordon Gund said afterward his team would select LeBron James. The Detroit Pistons and the Denver Nuggets were second and third respectively. The 2003 Draft is known for having one of the most talented draft pools in draft history. Four of the top five picks are NBA All-Stars and "Redeem Team" Olympic Gold Medalists: (Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, and LeBron James). Many players have been in the starting line-ups of their respective teams; eight have already participated in an All-Star Game, Dwyane Wade was named NBA Finals MVP in 2006 and won the NBA All Star Game MVP in 2010, Boris Diaw won the Most Improved Player Award in 2006, Jason Kapono won the three point shootout back to back years in 2007 & 2008, Leandro Barbosa won the Sixth Man Award in 2007, and in the 2009 and 2010 seasons LeBron James won the NBA Most Valuable Player Award. The 2003 draft class has drawn comparisons to the legendary 1984 and 1996 NBA Draft classes, but is also known for the Detroit Pistons making the controversial selection of Darko Milicic with the second pick over other prospects.

2003 NBA Draft Elite Players
LeBron James
2× NBA Most Valuable Player
NBA Rookie of the Year
6× NBA All-Star
NBA Scoring Champion
4× All-NBA First Team
2× All-NBA Second Team
2× All-Defensive First Team
2× NBA All-Star Game MVP

Carmelo Anthony
3× NBA All-Star
All-NBA Second Team
3× All-NBA Third Team
NBA Rookie Challenge MVP

Chris Bosh
5× NBA All-Star
All-NBA Second Team

Dwayne Wade
NBA Champion
NBA Finals MVP
6× NBA All-Star
NBA Scoring Champion
2× All-NBA First Team
2× All-NBA Second Team
All-NBA Third Team
3× All-Defensive Second Team
NBA All-Star Game MVP

Other notable All Stars and players (Chris Kaman, David West, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, Kirk Hinrich, Leandro Barbosa Kendrick Perkins, Boris Diaw, Travis Outlaw, Steve Blake, Willie Green, Zaza Pachulia, James Jones, Matt Booner, Kyle Korver)

Honarable mentioning to the 1985 Draft (I would have posted it but I thought of this draft at the last moment.)

This may sound a bit biased, but I have to go with the 2003 Draft (which was what you were talking about in the 2004). Players like LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, all in one draft class? That was amazing to a lot of people. Mo Williams also came into the mix, along with Kendrick Perkins, now a current NBA Finals Champion. You couldn't really get any better than the players you got, it was almost like an All-Star Game throughout the Draft.

Its easliy the '84 draft that's the best. You had arguably (not by me) the greatest basketball player of all time, 6 time champion Michael Jordan. You also had Olajuwon, a 12 time All Star and 2 time champion. Barkley who was a league MVP. Stockton, who was one of the greatest point guards of all time. You have all their achievements there so need to repeat them. But obviously with the Hall of Fame players here in this draft, along with players like Thorpe, Willis, and Robertson. By far the best clas. I would give the '96 class 2nd place.

Right now it's the 1984 draft but when it's all said and done it'll be the 2003 draft. D Wade already has a title and will most likely get a couple more along with Chris Bosh in Miami. LeBron is going to go down as one of the best players4 to ever play the game and I see him winning at least 1 title before his career is over. Carmelo is a future hall of famer along with the other three guys I already mentioned.

Plus outside of the big 4 in the 84 draft you have a few good players like Kevin Willis, Sam Perkins, and Otis Thorpe but not much else. In 2003 you have a slightly better supporting cast outside of the big four with Chris Kaman, David West, Mo Williams, and (if he can get his shit together) Josh Howard.

1984, easily. The Rockets passed up Michael Jordan, but still probably don't regret they're decision, as they got one of the greatest centers of all time and 2 titles out of it. Of course, you have the best player ever in MJ as well as Barkley, who was dominant, and Stockton, who had one of the longest and most productive careers ever to go along with it. Anytime you have 4 of the top 25 players of all time in a draft, you'd have to say it was successful.

I really don't think 03 will ever match it. Wade and LeBron are both superstars, but I'm not sure Bosh or Carmelo will ever reach that level. I'd take the 4 from 84 over the 4 from 03 any day.

I really don't think 03 will ever match it. Wade and LeBron are both superstars, but I'm not sure Bosh or Carmelo will ever reach that level. I'd take the 4 from 84 over the 4 from 03 any day.

Melo's numbers at this point in his career are just as good if not better then Barkley's were and its not like Sir Charles has any rings to fall back on when arguing which of the two is better. Bosh was stuck in the basketball wasteland of Toronto for the start of his career but should be able to win at least one title with Wade and the Heat. He is also a 20 and 10 guy for his career which is very impressive.

The '84 draft class by far is the best, but after all or most of the '03 guys have retired, I think it'll be them. The '84 draft obviously has the current best player of all time in Jordan and has one of the best big men of all time in Olajuwon. All four of the star players listed are on the 50th Anniversary All-Time team, which is an amazing accomplishment. I think that the stars of the '84 draft are bigger, but the depth of the '03 draft is obviously better. At the end of the day, the stars of the '03 draft will probably overtake the star power that the '84 draft had, with the exception of Jordan. I doubt he'll ever go away in the discussion of greatest player ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back