Puro fans, UNITE!

This year G1 Climax sounds so neat! I really want to see how far Davey Boy Jr. will go, specially against the likes of Tanahashi, Okada, Shibata and even Devitt. We will get great matches and probably two or three MOTY candidates easily on the blocks. I don't really know who could pull it off, but I'm saying Goto or Shibata can win it this year.

411mania posted their version of the Mutoh/"famous overseas promotion" story and seemed to intimate it was TNA, though they didn't cite a source. They just mentioned some previous talks between AJPW and TNA and how TNA is already allied with AAA.

TNA has of course more recent experience working with Japanese promotions, especially New Japan. I am not hopeful for what they will do with any Japanese talent they get, as they were fucking hopeless with Okada who is now one of the world's greatest. But some of TNA's talent on extended assignment to W-1 could be fun.

I just don't see how Japanese talent fits in today's TNA.

I mean, it gets more WWE-like every week, with soap opera storylines and reality TV like segments such as Brooke & Bully and anything involving Robbie E and Jessie Godderz. Add that to the fact that they have no idea how to utilize their midcard, sending Japanese talent over now would be destined to fail.

I hope they change their philosophy. My only hope is for them to send Minoru Tanaka over and tear it up in the X Division. That, and Mutoh vs Joe, of course.

NJPW announced a deal with ROH a few months back that sees guys like Karl Anderson, Forever Hooligans and KUSHIDA pop over. Hoping Alex Shelley drops by soon, he seems to have no intention of returning to the States from his comments on Twitter and in post-match interviews.

I think it's for the best. ROH use these guys as big International stars, TNA had Okada AND Tanahashi on their rosters at different points and completely dropped the ball with them because they see no value in pushing them which from a "wrestling" product standpoint is completely stupid.

BQpFKSGCIAAX7g1.jpg

Im just gonna leave this here... If this guy isn't with WWE by the end of 2013, I hope he can have a world championship run in NJPW.

AJPW is bringing in AAA wrestlers Drago and Argenis to challenge for the All Asia Tag belts on August 25. Can anyone who's into Lucha tell me if these two are any good?

AJPW has announced the talent and first round matches for a single elimination style tournament that will be taking place in September.
9/11 1st round matches:
Jun Akiyama vs Akebono
Go Shiozaki vs Kotaro Suzuki
Joe Doering vs SUSHI
Low Ki vs Dark Cuervo

9/14 1st round matches
Suwama vs Kento Miyahara
Takao Omori vs Atsushi Aoki
Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs D-Lo Brown
KENSO vs Bambi Killer

So, Naito wins the G1 Climax and is almost certainly going to challenge Okada soon. I think they booked the Climax very well, as with Okada losing four times and the Naito win, he has a ton of challengers lined up.

WWE has wanted Devitt for years. I seriously doubt he ever goes.

He said in an interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine last year he would probably take a more serious look at America once hes achieved everything he wants in Japan, which is probably why they've promoted him to the heavyweight division, creating more achievement and thereby keeping him with the company.

I'm really really disappointed about Naito's win. I can't tell you how bad I feel. I don't see money in the guy, I don't think he's in their top10 best workers of some sorts, he isn't charismatic and he looks like an average joe. I hope I'll be proven wrong, but by everything I've seen from him and the constant pushes he gets, I think that I won't.

Shibata, Devitt, Ibushi, Makabe, Nakamura and even Karl Anderson deserved to win it more than Naito. Right now, I'm probably going to take an hiatus from everything Okada or Tanahashi will do, unless it revolves around Devitt or Shibata, and I don't feel it will so...

EDIT: Oh good god, if Ishii isn't more promoted after that fantastic performance in the WHOLE G1 Climax, I'll be seriously pissed.

See I'm the exact opposite with Naito. I truly think the mans gold. I believe him and Okada are the future for NJPW. Before his injury he was easily the number two face behind Tanahashi. He's easily capable of pulling off great matches. Plus, if they wait and have Naito face Okada at Wrestle Kingdom, which I've heard that might be what happens, oh boy words can't even explain my excitement.

Lol I then disagree with both. I'm indifferent on Naito. I think he's a good worker, he's just not one of my New Japan favourites. However, I will state that he was one of the guys who needed this G1 win. He hasn't had much steam since coming back from injury and lets not forget he is one of New Japan's consistent main eventers, so giving him the win was needed to build him back up.

I hear he's challenging Okada at the next iPPV, but first has 'unfinished business' with Masato. Hmm, I wonder if their rematch will be for NEVER?

About to watch G1 Day 8 & 9. Reading that they're probably the best two days with maybe the exception of Day 4. Excited.

[NJPW News] The headlining matches for NJPW's DESTRUCTION iPPV on September 29th has been announced.

The main event of the show will see Kazuchika Okada looking to reclaim a huge loss that he suffered against Satoshi Kojima during the final day of the G1 CLIMAX tournament. Okada is looking at Kojima as the one who cut off his chances of becoming a 2 time G1 CLIMAX winner and will be coming for revenge against the veteran.

The NEVER belt will also be on the line as Masato Tanaka will be defending the belt once again against Tetsuya Naito. Of course now Naito has laid claim to a huge milestone in his career by winning the G1 CLIMAX tournament and is looking to settle the previous loss to Tanaka before he heads into being a rightful IWGP Heavyweight contender. Naito has decided to cash in his G1 win for a contract for the Tokyo Dome show and subsequently has placed a huge target over his head as the contract can be lost if he loses in a singles match.

The third title and last title match that was announced is Shinsuke Nakamura defending the IWGP IC belt against Shelton X Benjamin. Benjamin got the victory over Nakamura on the final day of the G1 and that was more than enough to make Benajmin Nakamura's main target.

The other 2 announced matches will be return matches heading out of of the G1 CLIMAX as Toru Yano will go up against Minoru Suzuki and Hiroshi Tanahashi will be going up against Prince Devitt.

Below is the announced card at this time.

NJPW "DESTRUCTION", 9/29/2013 [Sun] 16:00 @ Kobe World Hall in Hyogo

(-) Special Single Match: Toru Yano (CHAOS) vs. Minoru Suzuki (Suzuki-gun)
(-) Special Single Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt (BULLET CLUB)

(-) Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Challenger Rights Contract & NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [Rights Holder/G1 CLIMAX 23 Winner] Tetsuya Naito vs. [1st NEVER Champion] Masato Tanaka
~ Tanaka's 5th title defense.

(-) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [6th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura (CHAOS) vs. [Challenger] Shelton X Benjamin (Suzuki-gun)
~ 1st title defense.

(=) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [59th Champion] Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) vs. [Challenger] Satoshi Kojima
~ 4th title defense.

~ The event will have 9-10 matches in total, Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata will also be competing.

ROH has announced the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championships will be defended on American soil for only the fourth time in history when The Forever Hooligans defend against The American Wolves at Death Before Dishonor XI on September 20th.

Awesome announcement, continuing to love the ROH/NJPW affiliation.

I agree with you Saga... I would love to have a bigger name in here, someone like Hiroshi Tanahashi or Shibata, that would give us some entertaining matches for sure. It's a win/win situation for both companies: ROH gets more relevant talent in their shows and at the same time, NJPW gains more popularity in the USA. Still waiting to know if NJPW will ever use the "english commentary team" as an option.

Well I finally finished the G1 a while back. What a great tournament! I enjoyed so many of the matches. My thoughts on the winner, Naito honestly it really did surprise me he won. I didn't have much of an impression of him at first but he slowly grew on me and when I think about it he really has all the tools. A unique look, very good in the ring psychology-wise, and is very over. Definitely not my favourite but I liked him.

Anyway you can bet your ass I will be buying Wrestle Kingdom!

If you want some specific matches I'd be happy to suggest some.

Well I suppose what I need to do next on my "Puro Pilgrimage" :lmao: is to be educated on notable Japanese wrestlers throughout history. Misawa and Kenta Kobashi are two that I've seen next to nothing of. What would you say is each individual's best match?

So I was watching some early 2000 Japanese stuff since I know very little about that time period and I came across one hell of a Josh match Aka Kong vs KAORU from AAAW 2/13/2000. It is one hell of a match with a ton of violence and a great story. The only thing I hated was the ending, but everything else was great. I highly recommend watching it.

New Japan Pro Wrestling and TV Asahi are going global.

According to Dave Meltzer, from The Wrestling Observer, NJPW has signed a deal that will bring the property to Singaporean televisions – translated in English. No details were given as to who bought the rights from TV Asahi to broadcast the events, but it is a huge step forward for ANY Japanese pro wrestling outlet. Prior to this, puroresu brands have been very reluctant to expand outside of Japan. With the rise of MMA and the level of which Japanese wrestlers compete, there is likely a connection that will prove successful for the company.

NJPW took their brand to the internet this year with UStream, broadcasting shows via iPPV (internet pay-per-view) in a move that opened the doors for other companies. Pancrase also jumped onboard the iPPV train, another huge step in globalizing these brands.

With the advent of streaming technology and the world shrinking in size (metaphorically speaking), it is multiples less expensive to get these types of deals done as variables such as satellites and acquiring a buyer of your content are steps that are able to be bypassed.

TV Asahi recently released a 20 minute video that showcased some of their biggest names, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Devitt, and champ Kazuchika Okada.

http://www.steelcagenews.com/new-ja...ns-tv-deal-in-singapore-broadcast-in-english/

NJPW will finally be in English. Thank Jesus.

Finally all them pricks who don't watch just because of the language can now. Doesn't make much of a difference to me though to be honest.

:lmao:

Nope. The next issue is getting it off iPPV. Wrestling fans for whatever reason are fickle and in an age where Netflix dominates and a majority of home films are streamed online many fans still can't wrap their heads around watching wrestling on the Internet. It's just too extreme to comprehend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back