NXT TakeOver: Dallas - Sami Zayn VS Shinsuke Nakamura

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As with the NXT Women's Championship match, this special attraction bout was booked for TakeOver in Dallas in what will almost certainly be Sami Zayn's swan song for the NXT roster where he faces former New Japan star Shinsuke Nakamura.

The outcome of this match is all but carved in stone; the purpose of this match is give fans who aren't familiar with Nakamura an opportunity to see some of what he brings to the table while, simultaneously, putting on a strong match in which Zayn looks like a winner before fully and completely moving onto the main roster.

And here we are.

The unthinkable.

The "wouldn't that be so cool" thing we all laughed about a year ago after WrestleKingdom 9 made Nakamura a household name in the US.

And here. we. are.

It doesn't matter how set in stone the result is. Simply the sight of this, being a watershed moment for both NXT and American wrestling, will make any and all predictability an easy price to pay.

Sami Zayn won't lose clean on what is likely to be his final NXT match for some time. With the entire WWE roster in Dallas that weekend, it could easily be booked that Kevin Owens shows up and costs Zayn the match. I can see that happening, possibly with Nakamura becoming a heel in the process, before he goes on to face Hideo Itami (see the Itami thread) and Zayn faces Owens at Wrestlemania in some kind of Intercontinental title match

I like the idea of this match, but ever since I first found it was happening I've thought this is really unfair to Sami. I realize that it's not uncommon for wrestlers to work multiple nights in a row, however you know with this being Sami's exit and Nakamura's debut, they are both gonna go hard, in Nakamura's case especially he has a lot on the line and something to prove.

Then less than 48 hours later Sami is likely to be competing in a very physical match again Owens for the IC title in both of their first-ever WM, and you know they are gonna want to bring the house down. This match may also involve other lesser skilled perfumers and possibly even a ladder. Seeing the unnecessary risks that Sami is taking on Raw, I can't even imagine what he's likely going to do with two events this big basically back to back.

All that said, I think this is going to be an amazing match. I've been dreaming of the day when we'd see Nakamura in WWE, I think this is going to open up so many potentially awesome matches…I just hope Sami doesn't end up reinjured in the process.

It's a big weekend for Zayn. A NXT swansong and a Mania début.

He won't win either, but it should justifiably be a great experience for him.

This is still hard to process for me.

The first time I saw a Nakamura entrance a few years ago on YouTube, I was completely enamored with the guy. Then I saw him wrestle and the rest is history. He became my favorite pro wrestler and through going back into some of his older matches in NJPW and co-promoted ROH shows I grew to appreciate him as one of the best entertainers and pro wrestlers in the world, a combination that has become more and more scarce these days.

You imagine and fantasy book international or independent talents that you love in so-called "dream matches" and there were a handful of those that I would have loved to see, either again or for the first time. But I honestly could never convince myself that Nakamura would end up in WWE.

It's too late in his career, he's too loyal to Japan, he probably makes enough money already, whatever the reasons were, I always talked myself out of it.

Now it's happening and I couldn't be more thrilled. Regardless of the outcome, just seeing Nakamura in this setting, against the face of the NXT brand, is going to be amazing.

I may need weeks to recover from the spectacle of his entrance when he does have his first Mania match.

The expectations are high from this match although the result is pretty predictable that Nakamura will surely win the match. The special thing is the fight between two talented wrestlers Nakamura & Sami just two days before Wrestlemania.

I hope that this match doesn't disappoint anyone considering that both are veterans in this sport. Pretty excited for this match and the whole show too.

My expectations are unbelievably high for this match for obvious reasons, but I'm sure these two can still blow them out of the water. This is the perfect way to debut Nakamura: in a smark-filled arena against one of the best wrestlers on the roster. It instantly makes him look like a big deal and gives him an incredible match right off the bat. It gives him credibility from the start of his NXT run.

As for Zayn, there isn't a better way for him to go out. He's one of the most beloved NXT guys, and I expect his swansong to be something truly special. This match is going to be nearly impossible to follow.

I had to keep pinching myself to make sure this match wasn't taking place in Japan. Nakamura didn't tone down his style at all, his kicks were just as stiff as they were in NJ as were the forearms. I find it highly unlikely that they let him wrestle that stiff going forward but as for Dallas, it made for a hell of a match. However, I didn't really dig the fact that Sami went for a straight strong style as well. Unlike Bailey, he didn't adapt to his opponent's offense as much as conform and the fact that he went blow for blow with the KING of strong style... I would have much rather preferred Zayn stick to his regular arsenal.

Still, awesome match. Since they didn't have time to alter Nakamura at all, it will likely be one of the better matches he has in NXT.

Also, I don't know if anybody cares but... Kota friggin Ibushi? I don't know how well he'd do in front of an American audience but just for the Ibushi/Nakamura matches alone they should sign the guy. Surprised there's not more buzz surrounding his appearance.

I'd say that Kota Ibushi will be part of the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series. I don't know that this means he's signed with NXT/WWE or is considering it, though I'd say the likelihood is quite strong otherwise they wouldn't have shown him on camera or flashed his name at the bottom of the screen.

As for the match, it was a highly physical spectacle. The potential problem with strong style, however, is that it's so stiff that it's little wonder wrestlers can frequently get hurt. WWE has enough issues with injury as it is given its intense touring schedule, so it might be for the best of Nakamura's style was toned down a bit. After all, I was always under the impression was for wrestlers to look like they were knocking the crap out of each other without really hurting one another.

This was one of the best debut matches I've ever seen (although it wouldn't have gone down quite like that on the average Raw). Nakamura doesn't even need to be good on the mic really, his bizarre physicality is enough to express his personality. Jeez it's like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure became wrestling. Love it.

Sami Zayn was a good person to debut him against and the dual faces vibe really took off. Crowd helped a lot too.

I watched this match at 2 AM this morning with headphones, and struggled not to wake the family up. While it wasn't quite on par with some of his New Japan stuff, it wasn't disappointing at all. I went in with expectations a little bit on the high side, considering some of Sami Zayn's previous work... But as an above poster said I think it was a detriment to Zayn to work a similar style, and try to go blow-for-blow with Nakamura. It didn't necessarily make Nak look weak, but I felt like THAT sort of showing should have been saved for the inevitable showdowns with Samoa Joe and his contemporaries.

I don't think Nakamura worked that stiff... definitely not in comparison to some of the stuff he's done in Japan. Some of the forearms from both were snug, but the knees were definitely restrained in comparison to the various cannons he's fired off in New Japan. The thing about Nakamura is his ring-work is only a small part of what makes him so intriguing... so even if they dial his striking back it's not going to matter much so long as they let him be awkward and his unique brand of charismatic.

I'm about to watch the match for a second time to truly appreciate it... on a much bigger screen and sound system this time... as headphones and a computer monitor through bloodshot eyes didn't do it the right justice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back