Night of Champions - WWE Championship - Alberto Del Rio (c) vs. John Cena

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
20110822_noc_alberto_cena.jpg

Destiny’s a funny thing. At SummerSlam, it seemed as though either John Cena or CM Punk was destined to walk into Night of Champions in possession of the WWE Title. However, that honor was stripped from them both thanks to a contentious series of events that culminated with Alberto Del Rio’s opportunistic Money in the Bank cash-in. Having finally fulfilled his own personal destiny by becoming WWE Champion, The Mexican Aristocrat puts his good fortune to the ultimate test against The Cenation Commander-in-Chief on the one night when every championship will be on the line.

Both staking claim for the No. 1 contendership to Del Rio’s title following the controversial conclusion of their SummerSlam confrontation, Cena and Punk battled on Raw for the right to vie for the WWE Title at Night of Champions. The Cenation leader defeated The Straight Edge Superstar largely due to a distraction by the massive Kevin Nash – a figure that has cast a dark shadow over the WWE Championship landscape since his debut at The Biggest Event of the Summer.

As Punk brushed aside his misgivings about the circumstances of his momentous Undisputed WWE Championship victory to celebrate with his legions of fans at Los Angeles’ STAPLES Center, a hulking figure made his way through the crowd and charged the ring. With his 7-foot frame and raven-black hair and beard, the behemoth was instantly recognizable as Nash, unseen in WWE since his surprise appearance in the 2011 Royal Rumble Match. The veteran grappler and former WWE Champion viciously battered Punk before hoisting The Straight Edge Superstar high into the air and sending him crashing to the canvas with a ring-shaking Jackknife Powerbomb.

Watching this carnage unfold from the locker room area, Del Rio knew that it was time to strike. Becoming the ninth Superstar to cash in his Money in the Bank contract on a vulnerable champion to attain a World Title, The Mexican Aristocrat further punished Punk with his signature enziguri to win his first WWE Championship.

The following night on Raw, Triple H apologized for his questionable officiating while Nash led many to believe that the controversial conclusion of SummerSlam – from the three-count to Del Rio’s cash-in – was masterminded by The Cerebral Assassin himself. As the two longtime Kliq cohorts’ opposing stories whipped the WWE Universe into a speculative frenzy, a fired-up Cena kept Del Rio in his sights and issued a stern warning: “You are not a champion: You’re a target.”

Now that the 11-time World Champion is the new No. 1 contender, is Alberto Del Rio’s destiny about to be derailed? Additionally, will Triple H or “Big Sexy” once again play a role in shaping the future of the WWE Championship? To find out, tune in to Night of Champions, Sept. 18, only on pay-per-view.

So it's set in stone, what was originally on the cards for the SummerSlam main event slot now is set to take place at the Night of Champions show in a few weeks time. Personally, I can see this being a very good match with both Del Rio and Cena giving it 100%. Both men can certainly go, and having just come off the back of two amazing main events on the last two PPV's, Cena will look to continue to showcase just how good he is. Of course, from a booking perspective, it seems obvious that Del Rio will win with the good business that's sure to come from him walking into Mexico as the WWE Champion, but things have been a little crazy in WWE as of late, and I wouldn't totally rule out a Cena win here. Should be interesting though.

Keep all discussion in here.

Yeah I think Del Rio is going to keep the belt due to disqualification or interference there's no way Del Rio's title run is this short

I'm saying he keeps the title for at least 3 months

I think that Del Rio is going to keep the title but Cena will win by DQ. I have two reasons:

1.They are not going take the title from ADR weeks after he wins it. Besides all the MiTB winners have had atleast 2-3 month long reigns.
2.No way is Cena going to lose in the main event of 3 PPVs in a row. Its bad business.

Whichever way this match goes, I am almost certain that there will be outside interference and this feud will continue for some time.

Del Rio will hold on to that championship throughout October and then drop it to John Cena at Survivor Series in November thus leading to Punk getting his rematch at TLC and possibly making it a triple threat match or something because if ADR loses it at Survivor Series then he obviously gets an automatic rematch. I think that Cena will win or something but maybe Rock will screw Cena out of the championship and Survivor Series leading to a heel turn at Survivor Series Or the next Pay-per-view after that (TLC) or even possibly cheating to win at WrestleMania 28, in order to get revenge on The Rock and turn heel. Del Rio will walk out of NOC as the WWE champion, no Q'S asked.

I rather have had a triple threat match at NOC with Punk involved cuz I don't wanna see him fight 50 somethin year old Kevin Nash. But I'm sure WWE has big plans involving that whole situation. ADR should retain the title at NOC. Maybe interference from Ricardo. Since the Mexico Tour is in the middle of October, Alberto's reign will, at the least, last up to Vengeance PPV. With Vince having high aspirations for him, ADR will hold this title until Survivor Series, maybe even TLC.

ADR to retain here. There's a almost certain chance he'll have to cheat to win (dq or low blow or whatever) but he'll keep the belt. They're making ADR a better heel every week. He got some heat before Summerslam but now with attacking Morrison and Cena plus "being responsible" for Mysterio's injury he's one his way (if not already) the top heel on both shows. He's one of the few heels I actually do hate a little so he's doing his job fantastically then.

ADR will keep his belt (about 90% sure) and I see him keeping it until probably Survivor Series. Cena and ADR should put on a great match here. Both are at the top of their game right now. I'm not expecting a classic but since it's a fresh feud the match will be quite interesting.

My guess would be that Del Rio would win "clean" however there will be a major distraction by Ricardo which will cost Cena the match. I think it has the possibility to be a good match however I definetly see Del Rio winning the match. However, I don't know how Del Rio will manage a Hell in the Cell match so it could be interesting to see this match play out. I'm expecting at least one distraction from Ricardo and possibly somebody like John Laurintis to be ring side. I do feel there will be a rematch between the two but possibly involving mulitple people.

ADR wins here no way he loses the title this quickly!! wont happen.. We all know Cena wont tap wont quit so the only way ADR can win is by either DQ countout or some outside interference!! So who is gonna interfere on ADRs part?? Maybe theyll cue the rocks music but he wont come out that will be enough of a distraction to do a roll up hook the shorts and get out of dodge!!

I'm guessing here.
CM Punk comes down and attacks Cena. After all, Punk AGREES with Del Rio being champ. Cena does not. There's more friction between Cena and Punk and that angle isn't over - it's nowhere near it. So I'm guessing Punk comes down, roundhouse kick to Cena, bell rings, its over...then in runs Big Sexy and boots Punk in the face...

ADR to retain.

My pick is that del rio will retain by some interference. its obvious that cena wont lose cleanly. but i do think del rio can win cleanly but the problem is how is del rio gonna win cleanly? will he make cena tap? if cena does the announcer would say "CENA TAPS FOR THE FIRST TIME" or he will lose by pinfall. most likely cena will lose by finfall after a enzuguri.

dont be to shocked if cena gets the belt back hes not gonna lose 3 ppvs in a row as big as vince is on adr there r people in the back who r concerned and dont think he can be the face of the wwe as being champ thats why it took so long for him to win if cena dont win at noc he will in oct but i do think that there is a big possibilty cena wins at noc adr is not ready and it shows

About time Cena put somebody over conclusively, I feel. Have this feature on two Pay-Per-Views and have Del Rio win both times. No interference, clean pinfalls each time. Maybe even have Del Rio put Cena out of action for a couple of weeks with him returning just in time for a rematch and title victory at Survivor Series.

Having invested so heavily in Del Rio over the past year it makes no sense for him to fall to Cena in his first feud as champion.

Del Rio will find a way to win. Cena has been burrying him the last 2 weeks. Calling him the third wheel and ripping how he won the title. I cant imagine Cena will beat him. Unless they are done pushing ADR.

IMO Cena will win the title at SS. With the Rock coming back at SS, they will start the hype for Wrestlemania. Cena will carry the title into WM.

well this is not good news for adr as the raw rating reaches the lowest it has ever been in years and adr match lost viewers this is what happend with orton nd y they took the title from him adr better hope ratings get better and people tune in to his match if not he just might kiss that title goodbye come NOC thats a fact if u dont produce ratings they dont keep u on top!!!!!

About time Cena put somebody over conclusively, I feel. Have this feature on two Pay-Per-Views and have Del Rio win both times. No interference, clean pinfalls each time. Maybe even have Del Rio put Cena out of action for a couple of weeks with him returning just in time for a rematch and title victory at Survivor Series.

There is WAY more to 'putting someone over' than jobbing to them.

I am not seeing how this match will have much intrigue. I am digging that Cena has a problem with that fucking MiTB briefcase. It has been around about the same time as Cena has been the top dawg and he has really been the guy who has had the most problems with it.

I just feel this angle is about John Cena vs the MiTB winner, not Cena vs Del Rio. I am not so sure Del Rio is the right guy to play the other end. I really think if he doesn't step it up, he will totally be the third wheel on the bicycle. His announcer is always doing something to take focus off Del Rio (unintentionally of course). He hasn't improved all that much from a year ago. And cannot sustain any kind of heat.

There is WAY more to 'putting someone over' than jobbing to them.

A clean pinfall victory over the top face of the company is being "put over." There's no more decisive way to do so then this. There is more to it, sure. but being the face of the company and "doing the job" is the best way one wrestler can do so, especially in the case of John Cena, who doesn't do many clean jobs.

I am not seeing how this match will have much intrigue.

No intrigue? This is Del Rio's first WWE title defense on PPV, ever. This is his first defense of any title on PPV. And it only happens to be against John Cena. But no, no intrigue there at all.....:rolleyes:

The intrigue here is this: Will Del Rio be a transitional champion that was just used to get one of the MITB out of the mix? Or is the plan to continue to build Del Rio up as a credible champion with another clean victory? Del Rio's finisher happens to be the rolling cross armbar. John Cena, since winning his first WWE title in 2005, has NEVER submitted. Is the possibility there that he will do so here, or will Del Rio find another way to win? The intrigue is in trying to figure how this match will play out. Will Del Rio lose the title, ala Edge when he won his first briefcase, or will he have a long run with the title? This match will go a long way towards answering that question. And with all these questions comes intrigue.

That being said, I didnt see a logical way in which Cena submits here. I also don't see Cena winning the title here. WWE has spent so much time since Del Rio won the briefcase and the WWE title in making him a credible champion--one that can win matches clean at any time. I don't see them veering from that course here, as I see it highly unlikely John Cena walks away from NOC with the title in hand. My biggest fear is that we'll see a house show finish--Del Rio can't put Cena away--and gets himself disqualified. To me, that is worse case scenario.

If I had to guess regarding this match, it would be that Del Rio wins this match, perhaps by countout, or with Ric Rod's help. The other possibility is that Cena jobs clean, having underestimated Del Rio. He's talked again and again about how only one man can go "toe to toe with him", referencing CM Punk. Through every promo, he's made Del Rio seem beneath him. The possibility there is that Del Rio could take the overconfident Cena by surprise, and defeat him clean. Unless something happens within the next two Raws that make Del Rio look like a credible threat to Cena, I see Del Rio getting that clean win--by pinfall--that indeed establishes him as someone who Cena and others should and will take seriously. As much as I don't see the appeal in Del Rio, it's obvious there are plenty within the WWE brass that do. Del Rio wins this.

Del Rio will find a way to win. Cena has been burrying him the last 2 weeks. Calling him the third wheel and ripping how he won the title. I cant imagine Cena will beat him. Unless they are done pushing ADR.

IMO Cena will win the title at SS. With the Rock coming back at SS, they will start the hype for Wrestlemania. Cena will carry the title into WM.

Why does everyone keep saying that Cena needs to be champ to face the Rock at wrestlemania? that's fucking dumb, they can have a one on one match and it would still pull, just like Rock vs Hogan at Wrestlemania 18

anyways to the matter at hand, i think that Del Rio wins here, he needs to beat someone to make him a creditable champ, who better than Cena. But i can see in this match that ricardo puts the belt in the ring, and distracts the ref, allowing ADR to hit cena with the belt for the 1-2-3.

Maybe ADR will come up with a new pinfall finisher for his match? Either that or the running enziguri needs to be sold as a finisher. I don't think just hitting him with the belt for the win is enough because he needs to be a bit more over than that, have outside interference to distract or stun Cena and then he hits the finisher to win.

(it would be cool if he used a frog splash. Revealing a lucha background and gaining heat at the same time because people still associate that move with Eddie)

A clean pinfall victory over the top face of the company is being "put over." There's no more decisive way to do so then this. There is more to it, sure. but being the face of the company and "doing the job" is the best way one wrestler can do so, especially in the case of John Cena, who doesn't do many clean jobs.

No intrigue? This is Del Rio's first WWE title defense on PPV, ever. This is his first defense of any title on PPV. And it only happens to be against John Cena. But no, no intrigue there at all.....:rolleyes:

The intrigue here is this: Will Del Rio be a transitional champion that was just used to get one of the MITB out of the mix? Or is the plan to continue to build Del Rio up as a credible champion with another clean victory? Del Rio's finisher happens to be the rolling cross armbar. John Cena, since winning his first WWE title in 2005, has NEVER submitted. Is the possibility there that he will do so here, or will Del Rio find another way to win? The intrigue is in trying to figure how this match will play out. Will Del Rio lose the title, ala Edge when he won his first briefcase, or will he have a long run with the title? This match will go a long way towards answering that question. And with all these questions comes intrigue.

That being said, I didnt see a logical way in which Cena submits here. I also don't see Cena winning the title here. WWE has spent so much time since Del Rio won the briefcase and the WWE title in making him a credible champion--one that can win matches clean at any time. I don't see them veering from that course here, as I see it highly unlikely John Cena walks away from NOC with the title in hand. My biggest fear is that we'll see a house show finish--Del Rio can't put Cena away--and gets himself disqualified. To me, that is worse case scenario.

If I had to guess regarding this match, it would be that Del Rio wins this match, perhaps by countout, or with Ric Rod's help. The other possibility is that Cena jobs clean, having underestimated Del Rio. He's talked again and again about how only one man can go "toe to toe with him", referencing CM Punk. Through every promo, he's made Del Rio seem beneath him. The possibility there is that Del Rio could take the overconfident Cena by surprise, and defeat him clean. Unless something happens within the next two Raws that make Del Rio look like a credible threat to Cena, I see Del Rio getting that clean win--by pinfall--that indeed establishes him as someone who Cena and others should and will take seriously. As much as I don't see the appeal in Del Rio, it's obvious there are plenty within the WWE brass that do. Del Rio wins this.
No it's not. How the fuck is ADR, a chickenshit heel, winning clean, going to get him more over as a heel? The fans don't go "he's a mean guy, but he beat Cena clean, so I hate him even more" they go "fuckin ADR had to cheat to win". Do you not understand how to make a bad guy.....a bad guy? I'm guessing you're one of the idiots who think Christian should have beaten Orton clean too.

This is an interesting match. So far ADR has been playing more mind games and shit like that. I'm guessing he wins through some shenanigans. Should be a really good match. I've like the feud so far.

Cena will "put over" ADR by making him a bigger star. ADR going over clean won't do anything. ADR cheating to win everytime will. You think people hated the nWo because they said bad things? Or because they said bad things and always cheated to win?

Yea, no way he should go over clean, not so as to protect Cena, but because its simply not Del Rio's character at all. I dont mean Edge-Undertaker at Extreme Rules 2009 levels of cheating, but certainley not clean.

I do think Del Rio most certainley wins though, and will probably find ways to snake away until December or January, I would likely say. Just enough time to build him up as a legit title picture guy, and to give Cena enough time to rebuild for the showdown with the Rock at WM.

The recent booking would suggest that Cena is not winning. Win on TV and lose on the PPV has been an age old formula in the WWE, mostly because it is something that works. A win here would also help Del Rio much more than Cena here.

As for what will actually go down in the match, I don't really know. I liked what Del Rio did on Raw this week where he had all the heels attack Cena. Del Rio getting another heel to interfere for him would not be all that bad but somehow I do not think that it will happen. I am banking on a surprise heel turn from someone, maybe John Morrison here. He could say that he is fed up of losing again and again and is frustrated because his career is going nowhere. Or you could even have a lower card face just selling out for some money. WWE have been doing some surprising and shocking things as far as the main event goes for quite a few months so I am expecting something similar here.

I want to see Del Rio win this, and somehow make Cena tap out but Cena has never tapped out before, and I would want to see Del Rio be the first man to make him tap

It's pretty sad when I care more about then United States Championship match then the WWE Championship match. I have the strongest feeling this match will suck some major dick. The build just seems half ass to me, John Cena really isn't even trying and Del Rio isn't doing anything diferent. I just don't care or like it. Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like these two have will very little chemistry together? I will say something happens here. The classic heel never gets a clean win over the super face. Perhaps he does, earning Cena's respect in the porcess - that's about the only thing that will make this feud watchable.

Hamler's Prediction - Alberto Del Rio will retain the WWE Undisputed Championship.

Why do you guys keep thinking Johnboy Cena will turn heel? I don't see it. He makes the WWE so much money, and still will this year and next. Sure, his image can go down from feuding with The Rock, but he won't turn heel. I know Rocky turned into Holywood Rock, and being a heel, but was he really? I mean, the guy could entertain, heel or not.

Anywho.

I don't think it will happen, and my guess for the result of Johnboy and ADR, is that Ricardo Rodriguez will give ADR a chair and smash Cena. Next night on RAW, somehow, some way, Cena will be number one contender again. Anybody disagree? I love reading people's opinions.

This was originally going to be the Summerslam main event, but we are now still going to see it a month later. Del Rio has been doing a good job and I can see this feud being extended to last a bit longer, alongside Del Rio's title reign. Cena will put up a good fight like he always does, but I think Del Rio will retain somehow. Hell in a Cell is coming up, and that would be a better place for the feud to end. Cena's got plenty of more opportunities coming up to win. Del Rio needs the win more because it will elevate him in general to go over Cena in a title defense and he will look better as a main eventer. Even if he retains through a DQ then he still walks out champion, and that's what I predict will happen. Del Rio retains, somehow.... The question is how he will do it. Ricardo might interfere on his behalf. I think this will close the show. The match itself should be alright, and it's one I'm looking forward to.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Alberto Del Rio will retain the WWE Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back