MLB 2012 Playoffs LD: "Who's it gonna be?"

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
mlb-2012-postseason-710px.jpg

It's that time of the year again. The regular season comes to a wrap tonight and we've already seen one spectacular event: the Oakland A's have overcome the Rangers, winning their division after not leading it for one day all season.

This is how the playoffs shape-up:

American league

logo_bal_79x76.jpg
logo_det_79x76.jpg
logo_nyy_79x76.jpg
logo_oak_79x76.jpg

National League

logo_atl_79x76.jpg
logo_cin_79x76.jpg
logo_sf_79x76.jpg
logo_was_79x76.jpg

Of course the Cardinals and Rangers will have to stay alive by winning their one game playoff for capturing the second wild card.

Important dates
10/5: the Atlanta Braves host the St. Louis Cardinals and the either the Yankees or Orioles will play the Texas Rangers in a one game playoff to see which team advances to the Division Series of their respective leagues.

10/6: First day of the Division series.

10/13: First day of the Championship series.

10/24: First day of the World Series.

So who's it gonna be?

Will the "Chose One" add to his legend?
bryceharper.jpg

Or Will the Triple Crown king, Miguel Cabrera, along with his Prince, Mr. Fielder, help Detroit avenge their World Series defeat six years earlier?
Could the St. Louis Cardinals win number 12 in 2012 with Albert Pujols sitting at home?
Will Billy Beane continue to run with his "Money Ball" momentum?
Will "THAAAA YANKEES WIN, THAAAA YANKEES WIN" another title?

But of course, this is baseball, anything can and will happen. But when it does, witness and discuss right here on Wrestle Zone.

The Oakland A's are American League West champions.

That is such a preposterous feat. It defies all explanation. It is beyond reason. There is 0% chance that it should have happened.

Somewhere out there is a person who understand baseball, but they sure as hell haven't told anyone about it.

I know this is very unlikely, but if the Yankees can hit around and Granderson gets another at bat, he could hit #44 which would beat Cabrera's 43. Granderson has two home runs already tonight to tie for the lead.

Edit: never mind. Cabrera has 44. The Triple Crown is safe.

G1 is 2 days away and I'm getting amped already. JV at Comerica? Yes please. Hopefully they can protect home so they only have to win 1 of 3 at Oakland (especially since they suck on the road).

I hope history repeats itself in that the last time the Tigers had back to back playoff appearances (1934-35) they won a World Series the 2nd year. Mr. Illitch needs a title. Let's get him one, boys.

There are so many teams I want to root for, I don't know what to do. The Athletics are the fucking goddamn OAKLAND ATHLETICS, I mean, come on people. They're the Swinging A's, everyone loves them even if they weren't the most preposterous story in baseball for the last 20 years. The Orioles are similar, a great franchise with a lot of history, on hard times lately making an improbable postseason run. I still feel bad for the Rangers, in all honesty. I like the Tigers - big Verlander fan - even if they are the big divisional rivals. Of course, I'm not a Yankees fan, so that's not a problem. I could honestly root for every team in the NL, though. Atlanta - Chipper Jones' last hurrah. St. Louis, classic franchise, familiar World Series heroes. Cincinatti, great small market franchise, love them for making a commitment to Votto, one of my favorite teams to watch and play against. I always make it a point to go to the Reds games when they're in town because they are the best games all year. San Francisco is another great franchise with a lot of extremely likeable players - Panda, Posey, Matt Cain. And the Nationals are a great young team taking a troubled franchise to the postseason for the first time in a loooong while.

Yeah, the only way I'll really be disappointed this year is if the Yankees win (THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEES WIN...sorry). I think I'm gonna jump on the Swinging A's bandwagon for starters, and go from there.

No work tomorrow for me by luck. Now I get to watch the Cardinals one game playoff.
I'm a Cardinals radical but I also would hate to see Chipper go out in a one game play off. Regardless, lots of great ball to played.

I+Live+for+This+Logo.gif

So as I, a Braves fan living in Cardinals country, am watching this game right now, I can't help but think about how great it would be if Chipper were to hit a game-tying 3 run HR this inning. Heyward needs to get on base for this to happen.

It's up to the ump's discretion on how deep an infield fly can be called and can still be able to make the play. I believe that was too deep to be an infield fly but it's the human element. I feel bad for Atlanta fans (sly) but being a cardinal fan, I can't complain.

I agree. This could happen at any stadium in this intense situation. It's a late inning, alcohol has been consumed, there's built up emotion with the season on the line as well possibly Chipper's last game. There's a reason Atlanta does not have a bad reputation prior to this game. But it is ridiculous to cause a delay like that. It sucks but it's over with

So was a guy out of the infield and the infield fly rule was called? I didn't see the play.

From what I heard (didn't see it either, was busy working for about 30 minutes supervising a HS football game...easiest $10 I've earned in a long time), the umpire did make the right call.

However, what happened was the Cardinals SS was camped out under the ball and was waving everyone off, even though he was well into LF. The rule, from what I was told at the football game, is if the infielder is camped out and waving people off, it's an infield fly rule. But what happened is the SS misjudged the ball, and it landed behind him, which should have been a hit/error, and a huge Braves rally.

Braves fans didn't like it.

I was initially outraged, but on further review of the rules, I think that was a valid call on the infield fly rule. The official rule, as I understand it, is that if the infielder could make it with ordinary effort, and there is a force play at third, the infield fly rule should be called.

Oh how baseball works. Chipper up third bottom 9th in what could be his last ab his career and could possibly represent the tying run

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back