*MERGED* IDR's Seven* Ways to Revitalize the X Division

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
Jerry Lynn would be pissed!

Now I apologise prefuselly if the contents of this thread have already been discussed but I am appauled with the state of the X-Division right at this moment.

I haven't watched TNA in a few weeks but the last time I watched it the only X-Division action was (the now released) Daniels having an 'arguement' with Kaz and Doug Williams for over eight minutes straight after a ten minute promo from Hogan. What happened?

I used to watch TNA purely for the X-Division, it was the one thing that stood out over the WWE. I remember all of the classics, Joe Vs Styles, Daniels Vs Styles, etc and now, although I have the utmost respect for AJ Styles and his world championship reign, he seems to be 'stylin' and profilin' while the X-Division is dying.

The question is, who is to blame?

Many could point the finger at Hogan and Bischoff, as they have just turned the product into a WWE mini-me, but to be honest, I think the blame has to be placed on the bookers. The X-Division should be the stand out commodity for TNA. At Destination X, the one Ultimate X match that they promoted lasted a tame eight minutes. EIGHT. When you consider that two years ago the same match got over twenty.

What do you think could be done to save the X-Division, or can it be saved?

The "death" of the X-Division isn't a byproduct of the Hogan/Bischoff regime. It's a byproduct of evolution in that their most prominent stars in Daniels, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe all graduated the mini mites school for spot monkeys years ago, and no real suitable heirs to the throne existed.

If you're appalled at the state of the X Division as it's currently composed in TNA, take that up with the fact that so many wanted to push guys like AJ, Joe and Daniels into the spot light.

Factor in the fact that Sabin & Shelley, two of the only names IMO who might have been able to reclaim the place of AJ/Joe/Daniels went into the tag division and you have the root of all your problems right there.

I'd imagine they may begin to put more of an emphasis on the X Division in the coming months with Bischoff likely being the major energy behind that, but as of right now there simply isn't very much available to work with there outside of Kaz, Kendrick, Red and perhaps Jay Lethal for the division to really deserve a spotlight right now, IMO.

I think the X Division has died out long before Hogan and Bischoff came to TNA. It seems Bischoff is trying to reignite the flame as he says of the X Division, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do know we are seeing more time given to the X Division now then we have in the past few months. When Red was the champ back in December, we hardly ever saw him wrestle at all. There were no feuds and no one to really wrestle in the X Division besides Suicide, Daniels, Machine Guns, and Homicide.

Now with AJ being in the main event along with Joe being a main eventer, its time to find an X division star that can take it to new heights. So far along with Red and Motor City, TNA has Generation Me, Brian Kendrick, Kaz, Shannon Moore, and Doug Williams. Williams is getting better as a heel, but I would like to see Kendrick become the champ and make the division relevant again. I think it would also be great if TNA could get Charlie Haas, Paul Burchill, and Shane Helms to add some flavor to the Division.

I think that combination of Kendrick, Moore, Haas, Burchill, and Helms would really make the X Division strong and fun again.

I think the X Division has died out long before Hogan and Bischoff came to TNA. It seems Bischoff is trying to reignite the flame as he says of the X Division, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do know we are seeing more time given to the X Division now then we have in the past few months. When Red was the champ back in December, we hardly ever saw him wrestle at all. There were no feuds and no one to really wrestle in the X Division besides Suicide, Daniels, Machine Guns, and Homicide.

Now with AJ being in the main event along with Joe being a main eventer, its time to find an X division star that can take it to new heights. So far along with Red and Motor City, TNA has Generation Me, Brian Kendrick, Kaz, Shannon Moore, and Doug Williams. Williams is getting better as a heel, but I would like to see Kendrick become the champ and make the division relevant again. I think it would also be great if TNA could get Charlie Haas, Paul Burchill, and Shane Helms to add some flavor to the Division.

I think that combination of Kendrick, Moore, Haas, Burchill, and Helms would really make the X Division strong and fun again.

I agree that the X Division needs an infusion of new talent, but I don't agree that guys like Haas and Burchill will invigorate that. I actually think lesser known talents like Tyler Black, Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen and lesser known Japanese stars are what are needed. New names need to be established in order to add to the enigmatic aura of the X Division, IMO – not household mat tacticians (as good as they are).

Helms I like, and I think he'd do a fantastic job if he came over, but Burchill and Haas are just not what I think they really need right now. They need to be wowing guys with high-flying and innovation again, not with the ability to mat wrestle well. Leave that for the Angle's of the company.

I'd also strongly consider raiding the ROH locker room again for a guy like Davey Richards who while not a natural high-flyer has a lot of moves in his arsenal that I think would help put him over in a TNA enviroment. His kicks are lethal looking.

One of the main things wrong with the X-division is that it's full of guys that nobody knows. Most of the guys are just their with no reason given for them to be. They haven't been introduced to the fans and hey don't get any promo time for them to make us care about what they are doing. The only people in the X-Division that people really know and care about are the MCMG and part of that is because they're a tag team. I think that TNA should stop adding wrestlers and make me care about the ones they already have because if they just rely on them to go out and flip around the ring to get over it's not going to work with most fans. And if that's all they can do they need to start putting together individual video packages for the stars of the X-Division.

Also there are no feuds or stories to go with the X-Division matches and it been that way for awhile. TNA just sends two or more random wrestlers out their to wrestle with no type of back story or reasoning and that's not how you get the wrestlers or the dividion over

If we are operating under the assumption that problem is the 'graduation' of the X division's old stars into the main event, I think that part of the solution lies in building the division around guys who worked with and got the 'rub' from those individuals.

The obvious choices are Sabin and Shelly, although that would mean splitting up MCMG (a minor loss, considering TNA has barely done a thing with the team other than jobbing them). Otherwise, I would say bring back guys like Petey Williams and Senshi, who were X division champions back when the division was credible (and great workers, as well). Jay Lethal would also be a fine choice, if they can drop the 'Machismo' gimmick. I think they could also move EY into the division fairly easily.

It's too bad they didn't keep Daniels around. They could have built up any of the above names as legitimate heirs to the division by simply having them feud with the old 'king' of the division himself to earn that right.

Still, acquiring talent seems secondary to me in comparison to how the division is booked. My main problem with the X division nowadays is that there are few if any long term singles feuds, and the ones that do occur are barely given any emphasis. Feuds need time to grow, and promos and vignettes to promote them. Generally the X division nowadays seems to consist of throwing 4 or more X division guys in the ring and letting them go at it, without any story or context.

I agree...

They are not pushing anyone in the division except Kaz. And you can make the case for Shannon Moore a little bit, but that just because he just debut' and you have too... oh wait no you don't because Clearly Kendrick is gilberg now.

The division needs new plans.. it's awful.

While the graduation of talent is a problem, the real reason is that the x-division is no longer the stepping stone title. I would say one thing Jarrett had right was that the more titles you have the less they mean. When the X title was the only other singles title it had to both provide exciting x-division style matches AND tell a story. Now it more than ever is transitioning to a cruiserweight style division where a story is less important than the high-flying action. They do not have to tell a story because the title holder is so low on the foodchain. The problem is they have yet to establish the global title so everything is in limbo. There is no real stepping stone at the moment, which is why we have seen so many pushes that fell flat after a while over the last year.

If you wanted to re-establish it they are going to have to have a greater variety of wrestlers in the division (which I suspect they are not that interested in). It would probably be best to run another random faction hates the x-division storyline, even though it has been done a lot. If the band was willing to put those guys over on the way out it would be huge but I would not hold my breath. You could have pac win the title somehow then the whole group feuds with everybody.Eventually it gets so personal Lethal says to hell with this gimmick Nash I am going to kick your ass before winning the title. That would be fun but what I think actually is going to happen is that they keep it like it is (all-action) and build a mid-card with stories. The days of x-division to main event are a thing of the past.

I miss the open door policy that TNA used to incorporate with the X division... When we had fresh faces every week and were never sure who would stick around or be gone... Guys like Quakenbush, Jason Cross, micheal Shane, etc...

Also Senshi is now under WWE contract and wrestling in FcW as Kaval... Bet he never gets a push...

I agree that the X Division needs an infusion of new talent, but I don't agree that guys like Haas and Burchill will invigorate that. I actually think lesser known talents like Tyler Black, Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen and lesser known Japanese stars are what are needed. New names need to be established in order to add to the enigmatic aura of the X Division, IMO – not household mat tacticians (as good as they are).

Helms I like, and I think he'd do a fantastic job if he came over, but Burchill and Haas are just not what I think they really need right now. They need to be wowing guys with high-flying and innovation again, not with the ability to mat wrestle well. Leave that for the Angle's of the company.

I'd also strongly consider raiding the ROH locker room again for a guy like Davey Richards who while not a natural high-flyer has a lot of moves in his arsenal that I think would help put him over in a TNA enviroment. His kicks are lethal looking.

I don't know if the X-Division needs wrestlers, they need chances. Daniels left because he knew he barley was used. MCMG will leave for the same reason. TNA isn't paying them since they are paid by showing up and wrestling / cutting a promo. The entire X-Division just like the Knockout division is just pure crap at the moment. They have the stars but some of you are right. This is Hogan's doing. Before Hogan came in some of the best stars were in the X-Division. Don't forget AJ Styles was in that division a few years ago.

While the graduation of talent is a problem, the real reason is that the x-division is no longer the stepping stone title. I would say one thing Jarrett had right was that the more titles you have the less they mean. When the X title was the only other singles title it had to both provide exciting x-division style matches AND tell a story. Now it more than ever is transitioning to a cruiserweight style division where a story is less important than the high-flying action. They do not have to tell a story because the title holder is so low on the foodchain. The problem is they have yet to establish the global title so everything is in limbo. There is no real stepping stone at the moment, which is why we have seen so many pushes that fell flat after a while over the last year.

If you wanted to re-establish it they are going to have to have a greater variety of wrestlers in the division (which I suspect they are not that interested in). It would probably be best to run another random faction hates the x-division storyline, even though it has been done a lot. If the band was willing to put those guys over on the way out it would be huge but I would not hold my breath. You could have pac win the title somehow then the whole group feuds with everybody.Eventually it gets so personal Lethal says to hell with this gimmick Nash I am going to kick your ass before winning the title. That would be fun but what I think actually is going to happen is that they keep it like it is (all-action) and build a mid-card with stories. The days of x-division to main event are a thing of the past.

Remember Jeff founded the company, he doesn't really run it. It's Dixie who does. This is where Dixie should be fired, I've said it many times. Dixie has no idea how to run a wrestling show.

As for the belts, get rid of the Global Championship and you should be good. We had one squash wrestler in Goldberg many years ago, The Freak Rob Terry does not need to be another Goldberg.

Right now the division is in shambles and really if they want to pick it up it's going to take a long time to get it back going. This could be a reason why Hogan wanted a all X-Division PPV. He knew the division was dead so he wanted to go out with a bang. What the Young Buckz and MCMG did was just pure awesome. That match will be remembered for a longtime, but you can tell that Hogan is killing off the division if you listen to Shelly's comments on the Spin Cycle. I'll paraphrase; Shelly complained that there was no padding around the ring during their match, but for every other match there was. If that's not Hogan trying to kill a division I don't know what is. 3D said it best tonight, the band (I'm sure he was including Hogan in this too) are a cancer for every company they have been in.

Now I can agree. Jan 4 was awesome, ever since than I have been missing impact because it's just flat out boring now. WWE is just as bad if not worse.

I'm more than certain a number of you blame the recent failures of the infamous X Division on Hogan (just like you blame him for most of TNA's failures and short-comings), but IMO the lack of a talented X Division has been an issue since late 2008, not just January 4th, 2010.

When you think back to the height of the X Division's success, most people think back to incredible matches featuring guys like Jerry Lynn, Senshi, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels (among others). So what's the issue, you ask? Jerry Lynn, Senshi, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels are no longer in the X Division. Sabin (and Shelley) are now in the tag division as the Motor City Machineguns, Daniels and Lynn were let go and Joe and AJ are main event caliber performers now.

So where were their replacements? What – you mean there were no replacements?! ;) My point exactly.

This, IMO, was the biggest failure TNA has been responsible for in the last four years. The lifeblood of TNA was simply never replenished. I mean, can any of you honestly sit here and tell me that you thought guys like Eric Young, Suicide, Consequences Creed, Bashir, etc. were capable of carrying on the torch that their predecessors lit? Seriously? Who are you trying to kid – us, or yourselves?

IMO, the only way to revive the X Division is to replenish the very lifeblood they let die off with fresh new talent. Resting the hopes of the future of the X Division on Doug(las) Williams, Shannon Moore, Franky Kazarian and an infrequently present Brian Kendrick is a recipe for disaster if you ask me, no matter how talented any of them may be as individuals.

If I'm TNA, I raid the ROH locker room (again) in the hopes of re-kindling that flame that AJ and Joe left burning for no one to take. Guys like Tyler Black, Roderik Strong, Kevin Steen and Davey Richards need to be brought in along with a number of New Japan stars like Naomichi Marufuji. Hell, I'd even take a flier on Austin Aeries again. Maybe this time they don't book him like a third-rate Randy Savage again seeing as they already have one in Jay Lethal? :shrug:

That said, what do you think of the current state of the X Division as well as it's future, and who do you think (if anyone) should be brought in to help it?

But IDR Everything is Hogan's fault, TNA was perfect before January fourth. It was raking in the cash without needing all these washed up nobodies and drug addicts like RVD and Hardy and all these WWE rejects AN ROB TERRY ONLY NOEZ FOWR MOEVZ!!!

Now on to more serious matters.

I'm more than certain a number of you blame the recent failures of the infamous X Division on Hogan (just like you blame him for most of TNA's failures and short-comings), but IMO the lack of a talented X Division has been an issue since late 2008, not just January 4th, 2010.

Well of course, but were people to acknowledge that the X-division has been mediocre to terrible sine late 2008 they couldn't blame everything on Hogan and Bischoff burying people they think are to small.

And it's not as if Amazing Red added anything credible to the division as champion, he never cut promos and he was rarely even on TV in the 3 months leading up to January 4th. It's been mismanaged for a year+ but it seems to be creeping back up.

When you think back to the height of the X Division's success, most people think back to incredible matches featuring guys like Jerry Lynn, Senshi, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels (among others). So what's the issue, you ask? Jerry Lynn, Senshi, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels are no longer in the X Division. Sabin (and Shelley) are now in the tag division as the Motor City Machineguns, Daniels and Lynn were let go and Joe and AJ are main event caliber performers now.

So where were their replacements? What – you mean there were no replacements?! ;) My point exactly.

This, IMO, was the biggest failure TNA has been responsible for in the last four years. The lifeblood of TNA was simply never replenished. I mean, can any of you honestly sit here and tell me that you thought guys like Eric Young, Suicide, Consequences Creed, Bashir, etc. were capable of carrying on the torch that their predecessors lit? Seriously? Who are you trying to kid – us, or yourselves?

This was exactly the problem. There was no one to carry the division after it's main stars left. The biggest person they built up during the time was Suicide, a terrible gimmick to begin with.

IMO, the only way to revive the X Division is to replenish the very lifeblood they let die off with fresh new talent. Resting the hopes of the future of the X Division on Doug(las) Williams, Shannon Moore, Franky Kazarian and an infrequently present Brian Kendrick is a recipe for disaster if you ask me, no matter how talented any of them may be as individuals.

I disagree, I'm a firm believer that Doug Williams can reignite the X-division, or at the very least, make the title credible again. Since he's won the title more tv time has been given to him and the division as a whole. And IMO, his promo last night and two matches were pretty damn good. I'm sure we can better measure his success after Lockdown. Unless Kazarian gets Kararian'd again on the next Impact his opponent should be Kaz and I think they can put on a good cage match.

That said, what do you think of the current state of the X Division as well as it's future, and who do you think (if anyone) should be brought in to help it?

I do not share the opinion that the X-division is on it's way out or as terrible as people make it out to be. In fact, IMO, it's healthier at this point today, then it was last year in terms of appeal. It isn't at the top of the mountain, but it plays a solid mid card role.

I think TNA can work with the people they have now. No one really needs to be brought in at this point since it has enough potential right now.

I think there are still alot of talented wrestlers in the X-Division, but they haven't been really built-up. We have not been given a reason to care about the wrestlers. TNA would just throw matches out there wihtout any rhyme ore reason and let them do their spotfest.

I'll give TNA credit, they have allowed the X-Division guys to cut more promos lately and the Doug Williams/Shannon Moore feud is building nicely. However, what are they doing with Kendrick? Has he even cut a promo since he's been in TNA? He should be one of the top stars of the X-Division and he seems like an afterthought.

I think the Key to the X-Division is first the roster and second the time slot.The X-Division used to be the crown jewel of TNA.The most athletic wrestlers in the world descend on TNA to be part of it.They stole the show all the time and performed moves that would kill some heavyweights.

The real problem began when all the talent left.either they left the company like Lynn,Red,Puma,Low Ki,Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt.or they moved to another division like Sabin,AJ,Joe, and Daniels.Then it got really bad when TNA started to pay less attention to them and gave them less mic time.

The future of the X-Division depends on if Hogan really see what a asset the X-division is and if he puts in the time to fix it.If he signs the right talent and maybe raid the ROH locker room like It's Damn Real! said we have a good start.Plus a lot of mic time so they can have real feuds.

the x divisions top stars of the past are scattered all over they also need some new fresh talent

aj styles and samoa joe-- joe is nowjobbing to orlando jordan seriously? bring him back to the x division aj is obviously the whc so he cant comeback that i understand

mcmg--a feud between these two would be epic whenever they have a match against each other its great there not the tag champs as this stupid matt morgan angle is starting to make me mad have beer money take control of the tag team straps and put the mcmg back in the x division

petey williams-- the lil petey pump angle was stupid really really stupid keepthe guy as a heel he was probably the best wrestler in the division and was more than just a spot monkey

brutus magnus--like petey a great wrestler and not a spot monkey imagine the matches he couldput on with doug williams or jay lethal hes stronger than most of the x guys but still not a monster so itll be something different and hes no slouch on the mike either

AAA/ROH/japan--bring wrestlers from these places they have consistently produced talent have luchadores put on matches like rey and juvi once did

ultimate x--dont make a joke out of it use it sparingly

the future of the x division will be a good one if those things happen

TNA has a ton of people they could use to get the x-division back to its peak again, but if they do that, Sting, Nash, and the rest of the AARP will threaten to walk and for whatever reason the powers that be think they need these dinosaurs to draw crowds. When the ratings are .6 and falling, something needs to change. Give these young guys some screen time and there's your new x-division, even has that new champ smell.

Wow this thread makes me laugh. It really does. Some points are crediable ill give you that,but some of the points sound like you just made them with no evidence or reason. Blame Hogan? For what? The more of focus on the X-division? Before hogan came where was the x-division? Now he has matchs like guns vs genme,4 way ladder match on ppvs which we rarely got these type of amazing x-division matchs much less x-division matchs in 09 on every ppv.

Also on the bit about the talent,I find that pretty funny to honestly. Ill agree that back in the day they had amazing x-division talent. No doubt about it. But stars of little division move up. Also another thing is the caliber of talent you guys are talking about. You all say Aj,Sabin,Joe,Lynn,Daniels were amazing talents that make the division which is true but what bugs me is the fact you guys are saying all the current talent have no where near the ability to put on matchs like they did or have the ability. The talent they have do have the abiltity. Kaz,Shannon,Doug Williams,Brian Kendrick,Homicide,GenMe,MMG,and Amazing Red all have amazing talents that just havnt been showcased like past x guys had. Most all ether came from ROH or Have been known for amazing for amazing indy circuit/world wide matchs. Shannon is the only kinda exception but thats because wwe doesnt showcase small cruiserwieght style anymore. His WCW and Omega days showed he does great. Havnt seen enough to see if hes still at that level. They could use a few more guys but not a whole overload. The amount is fine.

Also on a side note,

1-Joe and Aj shouldnt go back to x. They moved up because they grew to a point where their stardom was just to big for the x-division. Much like mysterio in wwe got to big of a star for the cruiserweight division. It would be unrealistic if they went back and would then take the whole spotlight and ruin any chance of the other guys who havnt got their shot,the abiltity to shine for themselves.

2-MMG and GenMe while tag teams still compete in the x division so while Id love to see MMG break up to for single careers,They should stay together at least till they get a title run with the tag belts,then have shelley go heel. But again they still count in the X-division and compete in it

This is simple the x division will fail as long as hogan and ez e and dixie continue to hire people like pac and hall!!! They let 2 of the greatest x wrestlers go in daniels and let's not forget the man with the baddest finisher ever pete williams!! Tna needs to let the young rise and the old need to ride off into the sunset before the x division can be wht it once was!! First time poster so sorry if not done right

Remember Jeff founded the company, he doesn't really run it. It's Dixie who does. This is where Dixie should be fired, I've said it many times. Dixie has no idea how to run a wrestling show.

Jeff really did have a large role in running the wrestling side of the company long after Dixie became the owner. You cannot fire the owner.

Doug Williams promo was gold last night. It brought back my faith the X-division will still have a nice niche in the company.

The X-Division has evolved greatly from the days of spot after spot after spot.

I love big spots in wrestling, and I love fast paced, high flying, X-Division matches, but all fast pace, high flying crazy spots are no longer as fluid and exciting as they once were. Now it consist of wrestlers moving into position with no subtlety at all making it glaringly obvious what spot is going to happen next.

People don't watch TNA for the X-Division like they use to. It's a shame that TNA no longer invest the time that they use to in the division because it really made them stand out as the alternative to the WWE and that is what alot of fans were looking for.

I like Douglas Williams as the Champion, because he doesn't "fly around the ring like a monkey." He is a pure, technical wrestler which is a change from what one would expect from a X-Division wrestler.

I love the gimmick of him proving that just jumping around the ring and trying the spot of the night is nonsense and his style of wrestling is pure and unmatched. In a sense it is the truth; everyone dangering themselves and others in big spots that take minutes to set up, and seconds to execute.

My main complaint with the current state of the X-Division is the lack of competitors. TNA forgotten that their X-Division consist more than Kazarian, Douglas Williams and Shannon Moore?

I know that Samoa Joe, and AJ Styles are not going to waste their time for the lesser title, but there are other equally as talented wrestlers that could use exposure and would be a nice change to the division.

Just like my Seven* Ways to Build a Successful TNA product thread, I've decided to create a bit of a series here with regard to fixing a number of the bigger issues I see in TNA right now.

You are more than welcome to disagree with any or all of the points I make in any of these threads. In fact, I'd encourage it, as the idea is to spark discussion anyway.

That said, here's the next in line for IDR's Seven* Ways!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

IDR's Seven* Ways to Revitalize the X Division

----------------------------------------------------------------------​

1. Admit you have a problem.

Just like drug addicts and alcoholics are asked to do, the first step on the road to recovery is always admitting you have a problem to begin with. If the company refuses to see the errors in their ways, fixing said errors will be next to impossible seeing as management won't feel the product actually needs improvement.​

2. Regain your focus.

The focus of the X Division was always on the fact that it wasn't a limited division, but a division with no limits, and though it was predominantly composed of cruiserweight style wrestlers, unorthodox breakthroughs like Samoa Joe did in fact come through it as well. Regain your focus – understand that the point of the XD from the start wasn't simply to employ a group of wrestlers who were capable of doing a shooting star press or a moonsault, though those are often the types used, but wrestlers who were willing to perform feats that simply astonished your audience. If the division has no limits, don't limit it – anyone who is willing to perform astonishing and often dangerous moves/spots should not be discredited or barred from competing because they don't fit the prototypical cruiserweight mold.​

3. Establish a new "core", and develop personalities.

I think most of us would agree that the XD is in quite a funk right now (obviously, otherwise, what's the point of this thread?), and I attribute that (poor booking/writing aside) solely to the fact that it's four major stars during it's inception years – Jerry Lynn, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels were never actually succeeded by replacements or protégé's of any kind. How exactly is a trend supposed to continue if a next of kin is never established?

That said, a new "core" group needs to be established in order to put a major emphasis on the power of the XD again. While potential acquisitions like Shane Helms and Shelton Benjamin could help in the interim, IMO the division would still lack that staying power required to make it a legitimate division that people actually tune in to see in the same vein they would the heavyweights division, for example. While there are a few names still under contract with TNA who work well in the XD, no one but Brian Kendrick and Samoa Joe are actually worth building around as a means to establish a new core IMO, so my suggestion is to raid the ROH locker room (again), and do everything humanly possible to secure the services of Tyler Black and re-secure the services of Christopher Daniels and Austin Aries. A core of Samoa Joe, Tyler Black, Austin Aries and Christopher Daniels may not be as historic as it's precession of Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Jerry Lynn, but it's far and away a better group than Doug Williams, (Not So) Amazing Red, Brian Kendrick and Franky Kazarian (and I'm a fan of his). Tyler Black alone would easily become the new AJ Styles in that he'd re-revolutionize the division, and become the new face of it.

On top of that, allow the powerful personalities you already own (as well as those you'd purchase) to run wild (no pun intended). Pro-wrestling is a giant soap opera, and often cartoonish. Don't be ashamed of that – embrace it. Some of the most powerful names in wrestling history were gimmicky wrestlers who developed a strong personality via their character. Hell, the leader of your three-ring circus is one of them (Hogan)! I think you'd be surprised just how valuable Kendrick is, for example, as a cocky heel were you not to simply job him week-after-week. The same can be said of guys like Jay Lethal, Homicide and Alex Shelley especially.​

4. Water the plant regularly if you expect it to grow.

A six-minute match in which non-XD wrestlers interfere constantly as a means to get their own particular feuds over is not a successful way to establish dominance and prestige in a division as desperate for both as the current incarnation is. Eric Bischoff made note of the fact that one of the things he loved about TNA prior to joining was the XD, yet he (or whoever is actually in charge backstage) never actually puts much of an emphasis on it outside of the PPV matches they schedule every four weeks – why? This makes little sense. If you want people to buy into the XD again, give it a legitimate amount of television time on iMPACT!, and let it police itself. If you start putting on quality XD mid-card matches that get the crowd excited again, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with just how much success the company you took over returns (a bit) to glories it previously owned.​

5. Continue the evolution of innovation.

No, this does not mean every match needs to be a gimmick match, nor does every match need to have a ridiculous high spot or utilize chairs, tables and ladders (among other things), but it does mean that you shouldn't simply sit back and hope that a yearly Ultimate X match will serve as enough to a division who once prided itself on never having limits. Continue the evolution of innovation and shock and awe your audience from time-to-time – you'd be surprised just how far a "never before seen" type event/spot can take the progression of the entire division every now and then. Eric Bischoff, from my understanding was one of the primary proponents in developing a number of innovative gimmicks/match-types in the wrestling industry over the last decade including the Money in the Bank match, and the Elimination Chamber match (please correct me if I'm wrong here). If that's true, tap into that potential again and give your audience something they can run home screaming to their friends who don't watch TNA about as a means to get them to.​

6. Do not forget your history.

As I've already noted, guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and others all got their starts in the XD, and even more historic wrestlers like Jerry Lynn, Sonny Siaki and even Sean Waltman (OK, maybe he really shouldn't be listed there. ;)) all called the XD home at some point in it's history. Don't just make note of that – utilize it. Use guys like Jerry Lynn especially to sell the division in any way you can, even though he no longer works for your organization. Even so much as mentioning it as a footnote in your broadcast would help to add a lot of credibility to your audience who may not have been watching when Lynn was performing. Pull them in and get them hooked with names they may have known about but may not realize no longer work for your company – it won't hurt you. Only the WWE refuses to acknowledge the fact that other wrestling promotions exist. You have no reason to do the same.​

7. Enjoy the success!

Self explanatory.​

* OK, so the seventh doesn't really count, but you get the point!

i agree with what you said, but i think a way to help the x division is bring back AJ Styles. He is great but i am not liking him with flair right now, I think hes a natural face.

Letting daniels go was terrible. And I think Joe was better in the heavyweight division.

Also after WGGTT makes their jump to TNA with angle i think shelton benjamin would be a great addition to the x-division

my final thought, get rid of the KO tag titles and bring in some x-division tag belts, and eventually you can have a 1 hour x division show on saturdays or wednesdays

i agree with what you said, but i think a way to help the x division is bring back AJ Styles. He is great but i am not liking him with flair right now, I think hes a natural face.

I also agree that Styles is a much better face. However, I think that Styles has ultimately outgrown the X Division. He was TNA World Heavyweight Champion for nearly 6 months and being moved to the X Division would be a huge step back for him. Also, as IDR pointed out in his similar thread about TNA itself, TNA is a company that needs to work at producing its on stars instead of bringing in wrestlers that have already been established in WCW and/or WWE. The X Division was once a great environment for young talent to grow in TNA.

Letting daniels go was terrible. And I think Joe was better in the heavyweight division.

Daniels is a perfect example of an X Division veteran that could have been used to help build and bring up younger talent. The truth is, Daniels wasn't going to be the face of TNA. He's 39 years old and the day when he would have been main eventing had come and gone. A lot of TNA fans love him, he'll always be remembered firstly for the X Division and he could really help get younger guys over by making them look good even in defeat. As for Joe, well I'm ultimately not sure about him. On the surface, it looks like he's back in the X Division but you never know. Whenever iMPACT! airs next Thursday, he may ultimately go after someone that isn't in the X Division.

my final thought, get rid of the KO tag titles and bring in some x-division tag belts, and eventually you can have a 1 hour x division show on saturdays or wednesdays

That may be something that could happen in the future. The Knockout tag titles are all but useless after all. However, the X Division doesn't have nearly the strength to sustain or really even warrant tag team titles at this point. As of right now, the X Division primarily seems to be made up of Shannon Moore, Kazarian, Doug Williams and Brian Kendrick.

i wasnt saying daniels would be the face of the company, but a great addition to the x division

as for AJ it might be a step back, but i could help it grow and he can move back up later, i think it would be worth it. AJ is a company minded guy and i think if it would help the x division move backinto focus, he would do it. i dont think we should look at it as a step back though. it should be like ufc, not 1 division is more important than the other

I think there may be enough teams for the new tag belts with generation me, the guns leathal consiquenses, Ink Inc., WGGTT, and maybe british invasion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back