What Makes X Division So Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've been thinking about it so much why people love this division so much.I've watched many many X division matches but the only one that really impressed was triple threat between Joe,Aj and Daniels other than that I've watched some good X division matches but not very impressive ones.Don't get me wrong I love X division matches when they're 10 minutes and used to open a PPV or iMPACT but I never ever thought these matches should be main event.I've watched so many X divison matches lately and they were nothing more than complete spotfests that's only purpose is the make crowd excited for the show.Who gets X division title isn't important too.For example Williams got it and hold it for a long time and then he lost it and fired.It doesn't help anyone either.Maybe it was a good division before but right now it's just the combination of 6 wrestlers spotfest matches.I think there are some talented wrestlers in this division like Shelley and Lethal who can be the future of the company but other than that I can't see something special.Can someone tell me why everyone thinks X division matches should be main event?

As of right now, I don't see anything special about the X-Division. At this point in time, it's nothing more than a Cruiserweight division with a cool sounding name. I thought the whole point of the division was a "no limits" sort of deal. I can't remember the last time a guy 230 pounds or more competed in it.

I was interested last night when it looked as though Joe might take the strap. I mean, the whole X-Division is about no weight limits and all and the Legends title has taken away from the X-Division strap. While I think the Legends title is absolute crap, TNA management is definitely pushing it as the superior mid-card title. It also doesn't help that the last X-Division champ was a character taken from a video game.

What makes it so different is. is that theres nothing like it. In WWE you will never see a guy the size of samoa joe and Hernandez doing a suicide dive. Its just unheard of to let these big men show off their athleticism. However now it just seems to be a cruiserweight division, TNA goes around, and finds the best athletes. Styles, daniels, even bashir are all very good wrestlers and should be the center of tna, not steiner and booker t and folet.

I think the X-D used to be a great division before the MEM came in and took the whole show over. Now, I like the MEM storyline but I think that it's taking over the whole damn show and we no longer see the X-D being used anymore. I actually posted a thread about this earlier and how I hope the X-D picks up now that Homicide is champion and it looks like Joe might be going after the strap. But we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the X-D can come back to what it used to be.

You answered your own question:
I've watched so many X divison matches lately and they were nothing more than complete spotfests that's only purpose is the make crowd excited for the show.

They're exciting. WCW used the same strategy and it worked. Guys like Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, etc came from the Cruiserweight division in WCW. They were the workhorses of the company that were the trapeze act that the fans were excited to see.

Moving on, title pictures usually culminate in one on one matches, meaning that two people are involved with the title. How is saying "the same 6 guys" a bad thing? It's been the same 6 guys during Suicide's title reign. Before that, Shelley and Sabin and Lethal and Creed were all involved in the tag team division. Before Suicide's reign, who took the strap from Shelley, so before Shelley and Sabin ventured back into the X division, the champions were Eric Young, Petey Williams, Lethal (long ago with his Sonjay Dutt feud), and Johnny Devine (during the 3D vs X division storyline). So yes, given the ex-current storyline, it was the same 5 people. But now Homicide has the title, and looks to challenge Samoa Joe. Better?

Being from a video game is a terrible point and always has been. He got over with the fans and his storyline went well, especially when Daniels came back.

As far as being in the main event, I disagree, because the TNA title should be in the main event (duh). It's a great opening match, as mentioned, because it gets the audience involved early and sets the tone.

This is where I think WWE's reputation has hurt the way we should look at TNA. In WWE, the WWE and WHC title's are the A-titles, and the US and IC are the B-titles. That's fully recognized, even by WWE and it shows in their superstars. There's a hierarchy. TNA takes a different approach. It's kinda like "X-Division 4 Life" if you will. It's not a bad thing, and the guys who are in it treat it like it's the pinnacle of their career, as they should. They value it, much like the IC title used to be, when Shawn Michaels (as interviewed in his DVDs) said that all he ever wanted was to be the IC champion when he was younger. Once he got it, he shifted gears, but he never thought he'd be more than that, and he was okay with it because the title meant something. AJ Styles transcended the barrier (like Jericho, Eddie, Rey...) to go past their respective "division". That's the other thing, it's a division. The Featherweight champion of the world isn't like "one day I'll be Heavyweight Champion". It's just illogical, unless we think of it like WWE, where everyone is clustered into one division challenging for whatever they want at any time.

What makes it special is that it's fast paced and exciting and something we haven't seen in a long time. WWE always favored big guys over the cruiserweights, and ended up getting rid of the Cruiserweight title, leaving Jimmy Wang Yang (who was somehow over) and Chavo Guerrero and others with absolutely nothing to do. Do you really think Evan Bourne is going to be anything more than a one or two time US/IC champ, titles which have virtually 0 prestige anymore? He'd be a staple in the X-Division, and that's where he belongs. I'm tired of seeing "underdog" bullshit from Rey over Mark Henry (and recently Bourne over Mark Henry). If the X guys break out of that into the main event picture, then great, but it's a different division entirely and the guys in it know that and treat it as such. The structure of WWE in regards to titles is coming over into TNA, and it has no business being there. Each title has a life of its own, and that's how it should be (and always has been until recently in the WWE).

Last thing: What is actually wrong with a spotfest? They're usually much more high risk and dangerous matches and take an incredible amount of guts and skill to pull off for the most part. People have always said "it's a big spotfest" or "I know it's a spotfest but...", but I'm curious as to why that's a bad thing? I think the job of the X-division and the cruiserweights of history weren't to put on a believable competition necessarily, but to wow the audience with acrobat type stuff, kinda like the trapeze swingers in a circus (since wrestling is just a circus type deal, it's an appropriate analogy). Theoretically, isn't all of wrestling a spotfest? There aren't many shoot matches anymore...

The X division isnt the X division anymore. Watch the year 1 X division matches where Lo-Ki, Jerry Lynn and AJ have epic wars. The you can factor in the Bently/Kaz storyline from early year 2 which was very good, and that then transition into the AJ/Daniels/Joe matches that everyone loved. The X division now is just a way to keep the non mem/frontline storyline guys in the picture. Its quite sad actually. I think homicide has a great chance to change things for the better and if suicide is off tv as it seems and the start having some 1-1 matches between the likes of Homicide, Shelly, Sabin, Red, Kaz (maybe), Daniels, Joe (when he isn't working a bigger program), then the division can get back to prominence. Also if Sabin and Shelly aren't going to win the tag titles already break them up and start a feud, do something to give legs back to your most talented athletes

Also if Sabin and Shelly aren't going to win the tag titles already break them up and start a feud, do something to give legs back to your most talented athletes

I agree with you there, but they have appeal in Japan as a tag team also, so while they may be pointless as a team in TNA, they attract Japanese fans.

The X Division is so special because TNA is the only promotion that is doing it or anything like it in this country . WWE can't and/or won't do this type of wrestling because it takes away from Triple Hollywood and John Cenanuff's tv time (they get too much anyway) . The X Division is what TNA was built on ! Yes it is a spotfest I'll give you that but it is what fans love about the X Division they give you spots the other guys can't give you . I agree the best X Division match in history is AJ Styles VS Christopher Daniels VS Samoa Joe but there have been other good ones as well and the X Division guys are only getting better with guys like Amazing Red , Black Machismo , Creed , Sabin , Shelley , Homicide , Suicide , Shiek Abdul Bashir , Eric Young , Doug Williams & Suicide all in the mix it will come back to be the PRIMERE DIVISION IN TNA and the whole wrestling world mark my words !!!

PEACE & LOVE 2 EVERY 1 :)

In WWE you will never see a guy the size of samoa joe and Hernandez doing a suicide dive.
Wrong, Taker does it and it's over the top rope. but the X division is great not designed to be ME material it's designed to steal the show, for example the Ultimate X matches are spot fests that get huge reactions. qIt's loved so much because in WWE the CWs never get pushed too far for long periods of time with a few exceptions but not many reach ME level unlike the X Division where its mainly guys that wouldn't get a fair chance in WWE, wrestling in serious matches and possibly ending up in the ME, using the X division as a springboard like AJ Styles the only former World champs who were champs for thier flying abilities are Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, and Eddie Guerrero (R.I.P.) as compared to TNA where AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and others, used the X division to get to the ME and become world champs. Long Live TNA. Long Live the X division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back