Lucha Underground Season Three Discussion

FUCK OFF

SERIOUSLY GET FUCKED. This is a luchadora who in season 1 was squashed by Big Rick in like 30 seconds without even being hit. Since then she has had one match against miriposa that has been any good and we just saw from aztec warfare that miriposa aint shit. And meanwhile striker is trying to claim that she is once in a generation fighter or some shit. Fuck me dead. This feels like an absolute pisstake. I know Ivy is injured but she is probably 10x better at making me believe in her than what sexy star is. She was pummeled tonight and yet somehow managed to win without mounting any offence. Striker trying to give her the credit and Mack the assist on the elimination of PJ Black (maybe it was Jack Evans) was mindboggling. I honestly feel like they were trying to ride on the back of Hillary Clinton winning the election but taped too early.
SHE'S A FUCKING PASSENGER FFS
Oh well she's meant to be fucking off to become a boxer anyway so she cant be hanging around past this season. Maybe they'll push a decent female after that

Other thoughts from Aztec Warfare:
-Probably the worst of the 3
-Was action packed but really highlighted the lack of depth in main event talent
-Jeremiah Crane could be something if they book him write, has the character to match the look.
-Please push marty. If he can become a main event talent I'd love to see The Monster vs The Maniac
-There is a huge gap between the top of the roster and the bottom. Think it was a big mistake to have Puma, Fenix, Cage and Texano sit it out. The midcard was given too much of the burden to carry and they just arent believable threats (excusing the fact that sexy fucking star just won)

Aztec Warfare was meh -- at best.

Didn't really get the inclusion of several of the guys, or gals. Thought Rey Mysterio was most likely to win out of all the people in the match. Knew they wouldn't let Matanza retain and Mil Muertes wasn't going to carry the belt, again.

Ending was kind of garbage and pretty unbelievable. I guess it sets up the match next week with Johnny Mundo and the champ -- who will remain nameless for spoilers sake, even though like three people on here actually post about LU.

Can someone please explain why Matt Striker and Vampiro act clueless about the 'backstage' segments and vignettes? I know it's been that way from the jump, but it's kind of silly.

Rey seemed primed to win after pinning Matanza, but alas it wasn't meant to be. What really disappointed me was how Pentagon was eliminated. You have Black Lotus and three other broads just do and attack on the guys, and a weak one at that, and he couldn't recover at all?

To answer zt's question, it took me a while to figure it out, but Vamp and Striker don't have monitors I think to see what's going on backstage. It looks like they're meant to be for the viewers at home only.

It took me a while to figure it out, but Vamp and Striker don't have monitors I think to see what's going on backstage. It looks like they're meant to be for the viewers at home only.

I get that, but why not have a producer fill them in on what's happening so it's a more fluid show?

Aztec Warfare III was a prime example of the absurdity. Johnny Mundo goes from #12 to #2 and Dario Cueto was then shown in the ring telling Melissa Santos -- who's smoking hot, BTW -- that he was making the change. Matt Striker and Vampiro made it seem like Mundo was shocked by the number and they acted surprised, as well.

Since I'm a TV producer, maybe it's more obvious to me and viewers aren't really bothered by it. Just strikes me funny.

It's the style of the show. It's hard to word it but it's not meant to be a wrestling show. More of a drama about a wrestling show. So there is no backstage stuff because Dario is all about the fighting but obviously he has alterior motives

Oh and the black lotus tribe can do one. That sunset flip piledriver was the shittest thing I've ever seen. It didn't even look like she performed the flip it was all pentagon. Sure it's protected pentagon from taking a clean fall but it was underwhelming for mine. Have my money on Pentagon for AW4 he has been screwed over the last two times. I do look forward to him breaking the arms of the black lotus tribe

I think a big problem with the match was that nobody really took a clean fall that mattered. Mil went through a table and was rolled up and Matanza had how many finishers hit on him before he lost to a sunset flip. Anyone else that was worth their salt had a dusty finish bar mundo who can't really lose his credibility because of his character's take as many shortcuts as possible approach

I get that, but why not have a producer fill them in on what's happening so it's a more fluid show?

An on air PA would be a helpful middle man to fill this plot hole, but I'm okay with it, mostly. The world building they've done so far isn't undone by such plot holes, but maybe "Jimmy the PA" could be a helpful on-screen character.

Not fucking with you, I came into this thread and did a spit take on my keyboard. Your reaction is one of the funniest, most sincere things I've seen on these forums. And mostly, I agree with you. I'd probably have been as disappointed too, had this title change not been casually spoiled on main page news articles months ago.

Nonetheless, Sexy Star as champ still fits the world of the show. I don't agree with it, and I don't entirely like her, but we knew something like this would happen at some point. (I'd have much preferred Ivie to win it, that'd be awesome!) What I mean to get at is this; I had four problems with the episode, and Sexy Star becoming the champion was the least of them.

Where is King Cuerno?!
Like, fuck, for real? I thought maybe he's been released, but he's in the trailer. I know that random guy, who is henceforth known as Fucker McGee, was inserted because of Ivie's injury. But come on, let me know he's around!

Too many quick eliminations
A handful of luchadors seemed to be introduced to eat a pinfall within two minutes. Let's list them;

• Drago
  • Kobra Moon
  • Joey Ryan
  • Fucker McGee
  • Famous B
  • Mascarita Sagrada

That's more than 1/4 of the field acting as filler. Waste.

Except for a new champion, accomplished nothing else
So you have a match, that encompasses virtually the ENTIRE roster. Why did they not set up more storylines? It's true that they also planted seeds for Matanza and Rey, but I just feel like last year accomplished so much more.

Either way, an okay AW at best. Not their best effort.

See I thought when she won the gift of the gods that was what the main page meant by former champion and when she lost that I thought they were going to write her out because she wants to become a boxer

I'm curious to see where they go from here. DW brought up an excellent question in regards to King Cuerno. You would think he'd be back by now. And call me crazy, but I half expected to see Puma come and screw Mil Muertes out of getting the title again. Hell, it would've been more believable than what transpired.

Sexy Star can fuck right off

Aztec Warfare is the first episode of season 3 I've actually watched. Every now and then I check out whatever their Facebook page posts but it's not enough for me to actually know what's going on.

Aztec Warfare wasn't awful but it's just weird that they felt the need to put in Mascarita Sagrada, Famous B, Kobra Moon, and Ricky Mandel but leave out guys like Puma, Fenix, Texano and Cage. It was just "a match". Black Lotus and her gang of hot Asian women was pretty cool though.

Also, according to the LU Facebook:

The Rabbit Tribe debuts this week

Yeah, Sexy Star still does nothing for me. Her "rise against bullying" has been completely invented by Striker on commentary and has none of the more natural feel to it that Bayley's rise to the NXT title had (and it is that story that LU has tried and failed to copy).

If LU was decided on having a female champion, I would much rather have had Ivelisse in this position.

Don't expect Sexy to hold the title too long. She might even lose it to Mundo tonight when he cashes in his GOTG title.

but leave out guys like Puma, Fenix, Texano and Cage. It was just "a match".

All four of those guys were out for various reasons - Puma was defeated n Grave Consequences last night by Mil Muertes, Fenix lost a match which meant he was not allowed to enter, while Texano and Cage are engaged in a best of 5 series for the "Ultimate Opportunity," which is to get to be the vessel for whatever Dark Lord Dario is working for so it could be argued that Dario would not want to risk that investment by putting them in the madness of Aztec Warfare.

Also in kayfabe, you could argue that while Dario was placing Matanza and his title in danger but was still managing to manipulate the situation somewhat by not having all of the biggest stars in the match.

That said, it is not exactly the best idea to water down probably the biggest single match you have for the sake of making sense in kayfabe.

That sunset flip piledriver was the shittest thing I've ever seen.

Any sunset flip piledriver/Canadian Destroyer is the biggest pile of shit in wrestling. It makes absolutely no sense even in kayfabe that the guy taking the move would flip backwards ontop his own head like that.

Well that's done with. A joke reign for a joke champion. Dirty finish doesn't change any of that

Dante Fox vs Killshot was a terrible match in terms of actual execution, striker wasn't overselling it when he said fox's neck should be snapped

The rabbit tribe was meh. It was weird that they got to go for the belts straight away and I can't say I was a fan of striker trying to pump London up. Would have been better to play up the mystery of the rabbit tribe. The weird sexual nature didn't do it for me either. I feel like they should have been a positive version of the wyatt family but instead they are Adam rose and his rosebuds

Well that's done with. A joke reign for a joke champion. Dirty finish doesn't change any of that

We can all agree that Sexy Star winning last week was questionable, but it did more for Johnny Mundo to win this match as he did, then it would have for him to beat Matanza, in Aztec Warfare or otherwise. Franky, the Lucha Underground championship picture has been pretty directionless since Mil Muertes lost the belt. I think Johnny and the Worldwide Underground have potential to do lots of good with this belt, and a dirty win over "beloved" Sexy Star helps. Let's not forget, he's the rudo.

Dante Fox vs Killshot was a terrible match in terms of actual execution, striker wasn't overselling it when he said fox's neck should be snapped.

Was it that bad? Admittedly, I was half in the bag last night, and I remember quite a few "Wow" moments, which is par for the course in an LU midcard match. Only major critique I had was Dante had no sense of urgency in getting a pinfall. Did too much show-boating and gladhanding for a man out for revenge, in my opinion.

The rabbit tribe was meh. It was weird that they got to go for the belts straight away and I can't say I was a fan of striker trying to pump London up. Would have been better to play up the mystery of the rabbit tribe. The weird sexual nature didn't do it for me either. I feel like they should have been a positive version of the wyatt family but instead they are Adam rose and his rosebuds

I kinda dug it. The problem with the segment was that the audience didn't know what to make of it. They aren't privy to the backstage segments, so as a result, the crowd wasn't exactly chomping at the bit.

I had no idea that was Paul London in those segments, either. If London ever reunites with Kendrick somewhere down the road, I'd like to see this incarnation of the character with Kendrick

Was it that bad? Admittedly, I was half in the bag last night, and I remember quite a few "Wow" moments, which is par for the course in an LU midcard match. Only major critique I had was Dante had no sense of urgency in getting a pinfall. Did too much show-boating and gladhanding for a man out for revenge, in my opinion.

some of the spots it just looked like they landed funny. The match itself was alright

So I saw Lucha Underground for the first time ever. And it was quite intentional since I watched just one match which was the main event for the Lucha Underground title between the champion Sexy Star and Johnny Mundo.

Unlike first two seasons, I was keeping myself informed about what was happening lately here. John Morrison has always been a my favorite so I watched it just for him since I knew that he's going to become the champion.

Now, the match wasn't a five star classic or something. Still, I liked it. It is the first intergender wrestling match I have ever seen. What I loved in this match was the use of basic wrestling moves. That's a refreshing change, for me atleast.

The end was quite good. A dirty finish protected the former champion's credibility which is a good sign. Something I didn't like was the lack of logic by the referee. Sexy Star was on her feet outside when Mundo entered the ring. The referee was distracted by Mundo so that Taya could get a cheap shot on Sexy Star. So now, Star is laying on the floor. And referee couldn't smell any shenanigans? That's quite illogical. Sometimes, referee is made to look like a dumbo.

Mundo played the role of a sneaky heel rightly and so did Star as a babyface. I am impressed and therefore, a new regular viewer of Lucha Underground. :)

Rating: B-

ShinChan™;5614235 said:
What I loved in this match was the use of basic wrestling moves. That's a refreshing change, for me atleast.

Welcome aboard, Kapu, but don't get used to that! Killshot vs Dante was more standard Lucha outing. Don't get me wrong, they pepper in a fair share of mat wrestling with great storytelling, but lots of spots in the midcard.

Welcome aboard, Kapu, but don't get used to that! Killshot vs Dante was more standard Lucha outing. Don't get me wrong, they pepper in a fair share of mat wrestling with great storytelling, but lots of spots in the midcard.
I thought that it would be accurate to reply you after I watch Fox Vs. Killshot. And I'm in. :)

Since I just started watching Lucha Underground, I knew nothing much about Killshot and Dante Fox except that they are indulged in a feud. But this match really impressed me. I don't remember watching any other masked person who wrestled in shorts, so it was a nice change.

Now, onto the match, again it wasn't a classic or something. Classics rarely happen on weekly programming but for a midcard match, it was good enough. Good logical spots. My only complaint would be no-selling in the midst of match by both wrestlers. The ending was quite right since it protected the loser. I must say that Dante Fox's finisher is vicious. So, quite a good experience for me. I will regularly watch now onwards but I already know spoilers which infact have spoiled it but what's happened has happened and it can't be changed. One grade down due to no-selling.

Rating: B

I really dont understand what they tried to achieve with the gauntlet match. Pentagon smashed the first two, who look like shit (especially the second match), then the third match looks like its going the way of the others but then for some reason he loses. I have no problem with Pentagon getting the punishment he deserved (though I dont see the point of the Puma/Vampiro dynamic now) but why have him break the arms of the other two?

Striker trying to say that the cero miedo chants are the fans taunting him. No you dick thats the sound of being over.

What name is solomon crowe going by on LU? Interesting dynamic they're playing up between him and catrina.

Finally getting a bit of character to Matanza. Really look forward to how mysterio deals with him and if dario can control him still

MOFUCKING PUMA BEYOND THE GRAVE MONTAGE IS COMING!!!!

In short: confusing in ring, intriguing out of the ring

Thoughts about Aztec Warfare III:

• Couldn't feel the hype of Matanza. He didn't seem to be as big as he is claimed to be. Maybe because of height? His finisher is cool though and he was well protected while getting eliminated.
  • Found Mil Muertes > Matanza. Looked more intimidating. Had a special aura around him. Would've liked him more as the winner
  • But Sexy Star wasn't a too bad choice either as first female Lucha Underground Champion. An underdog victory for sure but helped Mundo to gain credible heel heat by defeating her.
  • Mundo and his goons were well booked as sneaky heels who use numbers game often.
  • Felt nice to see Rey Mysterio after a long time. Him eliminating Matanza was a surprise though.
  • Jeremiah Krane is Sami Callihan. I couldn't recognize him. He seems a lot bigger here. I saw his match against Kevin Owens last year and he wasn't looking this big. Was impressed by him though.
  • The Mack is a fun character. Surprisingly athletic too. I am interested in him for now.
  • Pentagon Dark became my favorite wrestler. Can't describe how but I just love him now. He came off as an unique wrestler to me.
  • Famous B's selling is hilarious.
  • Special mention to that jump from balcony by Angelico. That was great.
  • Honestly thought that Mascarita was El Torito himself.

Something I didn't like was the camera angles. I don't know what was wrong but it kept degrading my experience. Quick eliminations were just "there". Filler wrestlers were eliminated quickly. I am okay with it.

Now, let's see what storyline they continued or started:

• Planting the seeds for Rey Mysterio Vs. Matanza
  • Continuing Black Lotus Tribe Vs. Pentagon Dark
  • Continuing Mundo & Goons against Sexy Star.

Quite good, I'm impressed.

Rating: B+

I really dont understand what they tried to achieve with the gauntlet match. Pentagon smashed the first two, who look like shit (especially the second match), then the third match looks like its going the way of the others but then for some reason he loses. I have no problem with Pentagon getting the punishment he deserved (though I dont see the point of the Puma/Vampiro dynamic now) but why have him break the arms of the other two?

Honestly, that first match made me uncomfortable. I'm all for the intergender matches, but the last six minutes were entirely on each ided, and resembled less of a match than it did domestic abuse. While I'm down for man vs woman, the fine line needs careful consideration and respect.

But then again, it served the story. Each member of the triad was more and more difficult for Pentagon to handle. For a gauntlet match, pretty much psychology 101.

My own major issue, the final piece fall was the ONLY Pinfall attempt in the entire series. But then again, as much as I didn't like it, it may have been deliberate.

What name is solomon crowe going by on LU? Interesting dynamic they're playing up between him and catrina.

Jeremiah Crane. I know the old joke goes "What is Darren Sandson doing in the Impact Zone", but this was agregiously on the nose. I'd prefer "Biblical Name Bird". That being said, I dig what's going on here. I hope Ivelisse's injury isn't too bad and they can stay the course, though if you rematch the spot, it looks like her entire lower leg comes loose. Sid Vicious style.

MOFUCKING PUMA BEYOND THE GRAVE MONTAGE IS COMING!!!!
Well predicted, sir!

And, fuck, that shot of the bloody question mark was fucking money!

Episode 13
"Breaker Of Bones"
Air Date-> 30 November 2016

Other than Aztec Warfare III, I had seen nothing about Pentagon Dark until this particular episode. Now, I don't know what others think but the breaking of arm by Pentagon Dark was done very realistically. That looks vicious, having your arm snapped in this way. This episode made me a bigger fan of Pentagon Dark. I guess that my current signature signifies that.

Now onto the match, I loved whole episode. The camera angles were a lot better than Aztec Warfare III. So, that's an improvement. Matanza got to show some of his personality traits. Excited for his match against Rey Mysterio. By the way, I expected that Matanza will split away from Cueto but I was wrong. Till now, what I have noticed is that Lucha Underground is just waiting to push Pentagon Dark and I don't know why. I was impressed by the three members of Black Lotus' tribe. Breaking both arms of Pentagon Dark will keep him out of action for a while, I assume. He will surely come back for revenge, obviously breaking arms again.

First time, heard commentary. Matt Striker is just too dumb to be a commentator. Get someone better. The whole stuff with Prince Puma, Vampiro and Pentagon Dark is intriguing enough. Not sure what they are trying with the angle between Catrina and Crane. The match's part 2 & 3 were quite good and part one was average at least. Maybe I underrated it but still. Overall, a quite good episode.

Rating: A-

personally dont think its realistic arm break, think it would be better sold as a shoulder dislocation
I think that it's realistic either. What I meant is that the whole move while executed gave the expression that it could really break the arm. Aka It was executed so perfectly that it blurred the line between reality & kayfabe.

I am no specialist on that stuff but it doesn't look like shoulder dislocation in any way. It looks like the arm is broken via snapping it with full force.

Run the bulls is a good concept but I'm not really happy with Cage and Texano being involved. Especially considering that they couldnt be/werent included in Aztec Warfare. Sexy Star's match had a poor finish, at least the story of sexy star fighting for women worked this time with Black trying to be a ladies man. Really enjoying the build to an out of control matanza. Does anybody know how mysterio actually was after aztec warfare? I dont think you'd take him out on a stretcher in that kind of match if he wasnt really injured.

Run the bulls is a good concept but I'm not really happy with Cage and Texano being involved. Especially considering that they couldnt be/werent included in Aztec Warfare. Sexy Star's match had a poor finish, at least the story of sexy star fighting for women worked this time with Black trying to be a ladies man. Really enjoying the build to an out of control matanza. Does anybody know how mysterio actually was after aztec warfare? I dont think you'd take him out on a stretcher in that kind of match if he wasnt really injured.

My only issue with the Run of the Bulls is the same issue I have with every LU tournament; give me the brackets! I'm not a huge buff on tournaments to begin with, but analyzing the brackets is part of the fun.

I'm okay with Cage and Texano's involvement, but I don't like that their series is being stretched out. It's been almost 2 months worth of TV since their third encounter. It'll be a strange least another 3 weeks until match 4.

PJ Black showed more personality in that one match than he did in his entire WWE career. Great showing, with indeed a poor finish. Sexy is sloppy as fuckl, though I rather enjoyed her scene with Dario.

I think Rey's injury is a work. I see what you're getting at, but you gotta figure Rey carries a big price tag. They wrote him out quite effectively, if it is indeed a work.

I'm glad to see Angelico back, but I don't know how I'll receive him outside outside for the Trios scene. I miss that group.

I also miss King Cuerno. Where the fuck is my Cuerno? He's in the bleeding trailer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back