Lucha Underground Season Two Discussion

I agree on the Death match. Much like Graver Consequences, they went for a big spectacle rather than just having a good match. From spot to spot, no real flow. On top of that, I never felt that Cuerno was any match for Mil. He only took him as a trophy on the back of Matanza's damage and then only beat him with a roll up.

It was a pity as the end sequence with Mil killing Cuerno could have been epic had the match set that up better.

As for GoTG, I still don't care about Sexy Star. Aside from being a woman, I don't think a good enough job was done to portray her as an underdog. I mean it was a woman, Mariposa, who beat her up.

Striker's attempt to paint Sexy in the same inspirational mould as Bayley at the end of the match was not only nauseating but completely fabricated and untrue.

Unsurprisingly, in a match for a world title shot where no one actually seems like world title material, it was poor.

Барбоса;5528209 said:
Unsurprisingly, in a match for a world title shot where no one actually seems like world title material, it was poor.

which is why i just assumed night claw would stroll in and win. Nobody else had been booked like they would be a world champion and then once he went it was pretty obvious that Sexy Star would win the match, and as it wasnt a good match the predictability really ruined my chances of getting into it.

While I'm here, cant help but think about how poorly they've booked Cuerno this season, especially considering how they had Rey pump him up on sportscenter before the season premiere. He won the GotG week 1, only to lose it back to fenix and then what? I actually cant remember anything significant between that point and him stealing Mil for a trophy he didnt even earn. He's another one thats been lost in the shuffle of Matanza's dominance, the arrival of mid carders & jobbers and Rey Mysterio. Striker has managed to protect him a little bit and keep him as a threat (something striker is actually really good at in truth) so there is always hope that they can rebuild him, especially now that he is basically dead

Барбоса;5528209 said:
My assumption is that they'll have someone beat Star for the GotG title. It'll be good heat for whoever beats her since she got her big moment at Ultima Lucha and had it taken away before she could do anything, and it gives her a chance to build herself up more. I like Sexy Star but she sucked in that match for the most part, and she's not really on the level of any of the other past champions or main-eventers.

While I'm here, cant help but think about how poorly they've booked Cuerno this season, especially considering how they had Rey pump him up on sportscenter before the season premiere. He won the GotG week 1, only to lose it back to fenix and then what? I actually cant remember anything significant between that point and him stealing Mil for a trophy he didnt even earn. He's another one thats been lost in the shuffle of Matanza's dominance, the arrival of mid carders & jobbers and Rey Mysterio. Striker has managed to protect him a little bit and keep him as a threat (something striker is actually really good at in truth) so there is always hope that they can rebuild him, especially now that he is basically dead
It's a shame, I thought he'd be a top guy this year. He's got a good look, he's in great shape, he's pretty fluent in English and he's good in the ring. I have a soft spot for garbage matches so I didn't really mind the Deathmatch, but it's disappointing seeing him booked in what was more or less a borderline squash match

The great success of season one's finale was wrapping up current storylines while provoking the question "what's next?" for just about every character. This did not happen tonight. I am ultima disappointed.

The Trios Championship Match was a clusterfuck. I hate saying that about a match that involves six wrestlers who I actively support, but what was that? When the heels had the upper hand through nefarious methods, there was little to no sense of urgency. The heels gloating as they were, rather than scrambling for a win made the challengers look particularly weak. It's not as if Fenix/Dragon/Aerostar were particularly vulnerable at the time. They just had a momentary upper hand. I also recognize Angelico's midseason injury probably changed plans, but an epilogue, like from season one, would have helped clarify the end of the match.

It seems as if Lucha Underground doubted the merit of Azteca/Lotus, and pulled the plug at the last minute. I don't get why this segment couldn't have happened before Ultima Lucha, instead of during a turning point to a multi seasonal arc. Perhaps an epilogue, like from season one, could have suggested the continuation of this angle, rather than seem like an anti climax.

Pentagon Dark, awesome. Very cool, but OVERDUE evolution of the character. Why wouldn't Pentagon Dark of competed in the Six to Survive contest? Nonetheless, I was cool with how the match played out. I believed this simple change in Pentagon was a worthy catalyst to keep Matanza on the ropes. Though, weak finish. This was the end result of Vampiro quitting the anti psychotics? Remaining at commentary and botching his protégé's big moment? Lame. Matanza was such an afterthought in all of this, which is unfortunate. Maybe an epilogue , like in season one, could have offered his character some closure in this angle? Perhaps he and Dario could have been celebrating the win with some sort of ritual, before Dario got busted.

Taya vs Ivelisse was alright. I'm glad Catrina got involved, because I was worried that they just let this feud disappear. I think that feud would have been better suited for Ultima Lucha. Now it seems like it will be a mid season conclusion. Oh well, little problems. Still, a moment like the epilogue, like I'm season one , when Ivelisse/Havoc/Angelico vowed vengeance would have been nice.

The one match that didn't need an epi.., okay I'll stop... an epilogue was the main event. I appreciate that Rey vs Puma was a self contained moment in time. Great match, but not the dream match I was hoping for, or the dream match Striker was pretending it was. Seriously, "An I'm Sorry, I Love You Moment' was one of the worst calls ever.

Pentagon Dark jumping Vampiro is suuuuuch a step back for him! He couldn't beat Matanza, so he falls back and jumps into a new feud with a guy he's already decisively beaten. Unless this wrote Vampiro out of the show, I don't understand this decision.

Seriously though, would an epilogue been so hard to film? Dario's sudden arrest was lackluster.

I dunno. Maybe I'm bummed that season one captured my imagination and wrapped me up in a warm caccoon of storytelling. Every story wrapped up, or left you wanting more. This season's finish had me asking 'why did creative do that'. I take some pride in how I can suspend my disbelief in wrestling, but this season finale just failed to left me asking the wrong questions. Questions about the men behind the curtain as opposed to the performers I'm front of it.

Despite failing to stick the landing, season two had more than enough moments to keep me interested enough to watch season three. Playing devil's advocate to my bitching about this finish, it could be the sophomore slump that many television series deal with.

I quite enjoyed Ultima Lucha as a whole but there were a few things I wasn't a big fan of. I wasn't a huge fan of the trios match, it wasn't bad and there was some cool spots but I thought it was a little to archaic for my taste. I also didn't like that Matanza really looked overmatched and only won due to Vampiro's fuck up, I'm ok with the ending but Matanza looked pretty weak which is a far cry from how he's been built all season, I just felt it should've been more of a war and a little more even until the finish. Lastly for Ultima Lucha it had 2 screwy finishes which I wasn't expecting but at least they are leading somewhere so by next season it could very well be the right decision.

Onto the good stuff the whole Pentagon Dark character arc and the turn on Vampiro at the end all felt right and gives alot to look forward to. I was a bit surprised by Puma vs. Rey but mostly because of the ending, no issue but I was surprised that Puma lost in the main event of Ultima Lucha for the second year in a row. In regards to Dario getting arrested at the end it felt really anti-climatic, especially since they were building towards it all year but I have a lot of hope whatever happens is gonna be awesome, although the moment fell flat I did like how Dario looked happy that he got caught, that makes me excited to see what he does while he's in there and ultimately how he gets out.

Overall I didn't like it as much as last year's but between Pentagon Dark/Vampiro, Dario getting arrested and having a psycho champ who has no one to control him now I see a ton of potential for season 3.

I have no problem with Pentagon annihilating Vampiro again so long as it is left like that and explained that Dark was shedding the last of his former persona by removing his last connection to that past in his master.

As for Dario being arrested, I think a chance was missed. That end scene in the police van when he was shown to be smiling should have then flicked to Matanza's cage, which is revealed to be unlocked so that much like Pentagon Dark, there is no one left to hold the Monster back.

You can see the change in Ultimate Lucha between Uno and Dos with regards to the future of Lucha Underground. With Uno, it was unknown or even unexpected that there would be another season so almost everything was wrapped up. With Dos, there is definitely another season coming so they felt the need to build up more rather than focus on telling the current story.

In many ways, Ultima Lucha Dos feels like a mid-season finale.

Finally got around to watching it. They shouldnt have filmed season three so close to season 2. That is why it feels like a midseason finale, because talent know there is still more to do and they were too busy setting that season up.

Cant help but think that Cage is sitting there wondering wtf happened to him. Had a monster push for the whole season and barely made it onto the card of Ultima Lucha. Meanwhile Fenix & Drago who have done nothing all season are not only on the card, they are on what was essentially the main card and won the trios titles. Texano is probably sitting there thinking wtf do i have to do to get a push?

It seems as if Lucha Underground doubted the merit of Azteca/Lotus, and pulled the plug at the last minute. I don't get why this segment couldn't have happened before Ultima Lucha, instead of during a turning point to a multi seasonal arc. Perhaps an epilogue, like from season one, could have suggested the continuation of this angle, rather than seem like an anti climax.

Sadly i think this is true, though i cant understand why. Lotus hadnt even had a match yet and Azteca Jr has been more than serviceable. The only reason this makes any sense is because they want to take Dario and Matanza in a different direction and cant finish that story. Good thing Azteca can just wear a different mask and continue on.

The one match that didn't need an epi.., okay I'll stop... an epilogue was the main event. I appreciate that Rey vs Puma was a self contained moment in time. Great match, but not the dream match I was hoping for, or the dream match Striker was pretending it was. Seriously, "An I'm Sorry, I Love You Moment' was one of the worst calls ever.

They were trying to make it an I'm sorry moment but the build up to the match wasnt that kind of story so it didnt really work. Really wish Puma hadnt worn the black kit down to the ring when he gave that promo.

Despite failing to stick the landing, season two had more than enough moments to keep me interested enough to watch season three. Playing devil's advocate to my bitching about this finish, it could be the sophomore slump that many television series deal with.

I think the biggest issue with this season has been the success of season 1. That success has given them access to more talent and has seen the established characters pushed down the ladder. And to be honest the talent bought in is or has been inferior, with the exception of Rey.

Барбоса;5532733 said:
You can see the change in Ultimate Lucha between Uno and Dos with regards to the future of Lucha Underground. With Uno, it was unknown or even unexpected that there would be another season so almost everything was wrapped up. With Dos, there is definitely another season coming so they felt the need to build up more rather than focus on telling the current story.

This hits the nail on the head. As amazing as an epilogue would have been there isnt or wasn't an absolute need for it this time around

Барбоса;5532733 said:
As for Dario being arrested, I think a chance was missed. That end scene in the police van when he was shown to be smiling should have then flicked to Matanza's cage, which is revealed to be unlocked so that much like Pentagon Dark, there is no one left to hold the Monster back.

Dario getting arrested and having a psycho champ who has no one to control him now I see a ton of potential for season 3.

Hadnt thought of this. My immediate thoughts were well if Pentagon isnt getting the job done, surely it has to be Puma at Ultima III to get the job done, Rey surely wont win as it benefits nobody. Dont know if Matanza can stand a complete season of being champ and still look as strong as he did originally now that Pentagon, Mil and Cage have all looked like they could beat him.

The portrayal of Matanza got worse and worse as the season went on.

Instead of a Terminator-like monster, who can be slowed down but not beaten, he gradually devolved into something approaching a lucky champion, who hit that one big move and escaped with the title.

After his epic debut and destruction of Pentagon, he should have kept going, suplexing, chokeslaming and Wrathing the likes of Puma, Phoenix and Azteca into oblivion. Then he spends the next few weeks waiting for a new challenger, who eventually emerges from GOTG in Cage, who is able to hurt Matanza but is still decisively defeated, not with a Wrath out of almost nowhere.

That leads to the search for a challenger for Ultima Lucha Dos, leading to the main event being Matanza vs Mil Muertes.

Hadnt thought of this. My immediate thoughts were well if Pentagon isnt getting the job done, surely it has to be Puma at Ultima III to get the job done, Rey surely wont win as it benefits nobody. Dont know if Matanza can stand a complete season of being champ and still look as strong as he did originally now that Pentagon, Mil and Cage have all looked like they could beat him.

Yeah I don't see Matanza holding the title through the season and honestly I don't think his reign is going to make it to Ultima Lucha. I think Aztec Warfare would be a good place to end his reign as you can do it in a way that makes him look strong and it's also a good way to get the title on someone fresh.

On another note I kind of want to punch Jim Cornette right now for giving away what happens to Prince Puma in season 3. Fair warning to all LU fans, if you listen to any podcast he's on and you don't want anything on the show spoiled stay away. Luckily I only heard about Puma but from what I hear he's spoiled a hell of a lot for the upcoming season.

I think they tried to book Matanza as unstoppable, well at least against Cage, but instead of it coming off as soaking up everything they had it looked like he was lucky to get away with it.

I think when he does drop the belt it should be clean for that WOW moment but I guess if you have him drop it in a dusty finish you can have him rampage only for him to lose clean and then you have created two moments i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back