LSN80

I think I knew DirtyJose likes the punk rock, but I didn't know he was that into the scene. Never been a big Circle Jerks fan myself, but there is worse out there.

My advice to Doc is quite simple. If this is truly the way he is, he SHOULDN'T change it, regardless of how it grates on people, or if people find him an a-hole.
This kind of advice coming from parents is the kind of shit that can get kids bullied/ostracized. Like it or not, responding to social cues is important. I'm not saying you should compromise the whole of who you are, but unyielding cuntiness/whatever-other-attribute in the face of universal disdain for that aspect of your demeanor is foolish and can be harmful. Sometimes being who you are isn't good enough. Sometimes you need some polishing up.

Yeah. I've been described as looking like the love child of Mike and Hefe. Nicest thing I've ever been told, in my opinion.

This kind of advice coming from parents is the kind of shit that can get kids bullied/ostracized. Like it or not, responding to social cues is important. I'm not saying you should compromise the whole of who you are, but unyielding cuntiness/whatever-other-attribute in the face of universal disdain for that aspect of your demeanor is foolish and can be harmful. Sometimes being who you are isn't good enough. Sometimes you need some polishing up.

That or be bigger than everyone.

This is a wrestling forum. Being who you are in the context of that can bring no harm whatsoever that I see, other then people calling you on it, or being a dick back. And so freaking what? Anyone can hide behind a keyboard and insult someone to the 9th degree in being who they are. Ive confronted the kid about it before, and he hasn't responded, which tells me alot. Im not ignoring social cues, because they're relevant and entirely important. But parents generally don't tell their children to continue to be "assholes" if that's how they're coming across. If anything, most parents tell their kids to tone it down lest they bring harm upon themselves. I was speaking within the context of this forum, and nothing more. Let the people in Doc's life give him advice about how to act in the real world, because that certainly wasn't what I was doing. I was simply telling him to speak his mind, right or wrong, within the context of this forum. He's a bright kid if nothing else, so I hardly believe that he took what I was saying as any more then that, if he took it at all. The real world is a different story and of course you need to "polish up" at times to get by, especially in a school, face to face social, or work environment. But this falls under none of those, and as such, the rules are entirely different.

Good. So if Sidious had persisted in being himself and our social cues pushed him towards suicide, that'd just have been par for the course. There certainly wouldn't have been anything to be gained from him taking the bones people threw him. This, after all, is the internet. No reason to take interactions on here seriously.

Any more wisdom to bestow on me?

Good. So if Sidious had persisted in being himself and our social cues pushed him towards suicide, that'd just have been par for the course. There certainly wouldn't have been anything to be gained from him taking the bones people threw him. This, after all, is the internet. No reason to take interactions on here seriously.

Any more wisdom to bestow on me?

I wasn't aware that I was imparting wisdom upon you. And there's a large difference between giving someone advice about the way they talk toward others, and encouraging them to off themselves. Social cues are generally non-existant on an internet site, UNLESS I TALK LIKE THIS! But you're comparing an isolated incident in which people were, on the whole, being egregiously nasty toward a certain individual. There were a multitude of people chiming in in the case of Sidious, and his was a far more serious situation. If you take anything from this, its that context is important. Doc being himself through words on an internet site is far different then encouraging an act someone was already leaning towards. If I recall, within the layers of insults thrown his way(Sidious), were pleas for him to get psychological help. Context and the seriousness of the situation have to be considered. Doc calling out Ferbian repeatedly compared and being encouraged to say what he feels to people telling a disturbed individual to off himself are two completely different things, looked at in context. Im not trying to impart anything on you, and you certainly don't have to see things my way. But in this situation, surely you can see the difference?

Doc takes the internet pretty seriously. He's without a partner but longs for human connect. He feels he could be a great wrestling mod but has been denied that throne in favor of someone he knows he's better than. He doesn't get respected among the other mods because he's the graphics guy who begged for his spot and is barely a mod at all. You're going to tell me that this guy, who has little worthwhile human connection but an abundance of emotional stock placed in the internet, might not be liable to have some depression issues and self-loathing that could be aggravated by the forum? You don't think this guy's mental state might occasionally hinge on his e-life?

What you've done is encouraged Doc to continue being a cunt, leading to further conflict. You don't think we're headed down a slippery slope?

Doc, I'm here for you. Suicide isn't the answer.

Doc takes the internet pretty seriously. He's without a partner but longs for human connect. He feels he could be a great wrestling mod but has been denied that throne in favor of someone he knows he's better than. He doesn't get respected among the other mods because he's the graphics guy who begged for his spot and is barely a mod at all. You're going to tell me that this guy, who has little worthwhile human connection but an abundance of emotional stock placed in the internet, might not be liable to have some depression issues and self-loathing that could be aggravated by the forum? You don't think this guy's mental state might occasionally hinge on his e-life?

What you've done is encouraged Doc to continue being a cunt, leading to further conflict. You don't think we're headed down a slippery slope?

Doc, I'm here for you. Suicide isn't the answer.

Abnd you've made my contextual point for me here. For the most part, we have lives outside of the internet. Love interests, friends, jobs, schooling, and family. And we receive and respond to our social cues from them, not people over the internet. Just so we're clear, I view a social cue as processing information, determining meaning, and deciding how to effectively respond. By all means, if you're correct that this is the place where Doc interacts most and draws his social cues from, then you're right in this case. Again, it comes down to context. I don't take what you've said about me in the past seriously, because I have a wife, friends, family, and a fantastic workplace that gives me entirely different social cues.

I still feel that if Dic wants to be a mod on this site outside of the graphics areaa, that he needs to be himself. Perhaps he needs to dial it back some, and quit reminding us every 5 minutes that he hates Ferbian. Within the context of this site, that isn't going to win him many supporters, or at least the ones he's looking for. The only people who are going to respond positively to that are people who dislike Ferbian as well. I was never encouraging Doc to be a c*nt, simply to be himself. If the person he's being now is himself, then without looking at extraneous factors(which can be dangerous in context), he should continue to do so. But IF what you said is correct, then he should be a kissa$$ and suck up to the other mods and say his prayers and voice his apologies and do whatever it takes to be liked. :rolleyes:

Im offended that you completely ignored my advice on watching Raw tonight. Im sure we could have a good banter back and forth about that. ;)

Yeah, you're being a bit of a silly cunt right now. And you aren't really making any kind of point at all, just talking in circles.

TL;DR: Coco thinks Doc should try and be better aware of social cues for his well being.
LSN80 thinks the internet shouldn't be serious business, only he took way too long to express that.

You're going to tell me that this guy, who has little worthwhile human connection but an abundance of emotional stock placed in the internet, might not be liable to have some depression issues and self-loathing that could be aggravated by the forum? You don't think this guy's mental state might occasionally hinge on his e-life?

Within this context, if what youre saying is correct, its a slippery slope. Him hating on one person could lead to five people hating on him in return, which could damage some of his self-worth. If he truly has little human contact outside of the WWW, then of course it would be damaging to the young man. Depression and self-loathing are the things that would set in first, in that order in fact. But it's a tall leap, and Id rather hear it/see it from Doc then get second hand information. In the case of Sidious, we KNEW the man had these issues, and many of us furthered them, some quite purposefully. There's a difference between that and me not understanding Doc's situation and only receiving second-hand information from one source. If I heard something similar from him, or from two or three others, I might change my position. But knowing you, all of this may be said just as an attempt to screw with me. So in that context, I fail to buy it.

So should Doc be himself or dial it back? You're getting your wires crossed.

Also, way to take what I said to the absolute extreme. Am I suggesting he should be a kiss-ass? No. But he should be able to take a hint when he's overdoing it.

DirtyJosé;2896429 said:
Yeah, you're being a bit of a silly cunt right now. And you aren't really making any kind of point at all, just talking in circles.

Who are you referring to?

Stop arguing about Doc, for Jesus' sake!

Here is the long and short of it, Doc can be whomever he decides to be on here. It is not out responsibility to make sure he is any great mental state, which I assure you he is. Please don't talk about him like bickering parents... Neither of you know what is best for him and that is where the discussion should stop.

So should Doc be himself or dial it back? You're getting your wires crossed.

It depends on his situation, as I said. If there's something he wants and he has to act a certain way to get it and can live with himself in doing so, then that's the way he should act. If I ever would need to go on a job interview again, which i highly doubt, I would become what was needed of me to get said job, whether I was being myself at all. Context.

Also, way to take what I said to the absolute extreme. Am I suggesting he should be a kiss-ass? No. But he should be able to take a hint when he's overdoing it.

Note the sarcasm at the end with the rolled eyes. I was doing so on purpose, and you freaking know it. If I recall, Doc started the thread. I wasn't aware of anyone other then D-Man telling him to shut up about Ferbian, or anything else, so I wasn't aware of him overdoing it. Other then him taking vague jabs at me, which completely rolled off. But if people are telling him he's overdoing it and he takes stock in their opinion, then by all means, take the hint.

How dare you say I don't know what's best for Doc's mental state. How fucking dare you.

Stop arguing about Doc, for Jesus' sake!

Here is the long and short of it, Doc can be whomever he decides to be on here. It is not out responsibility to make sure he is any great mental state, which I assure you he is. Please don't talk about him like bickering parents... Neither of you know what is best for him and that is where the discussion should stop.

Despite CoCo's grandious stand and my sesquepdelian way of speaking here, I dont believe either of us are much taking this seriously.

Im about to hallucinate or something, as I havent slept in two days. God help my poor clients who have to deal with me and my half-a$$ed advice, because I no doubt, however unintentionally, will be mailing it in today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back