Los Matadores

Charismatic Enigma

Grand Slam Champion
A few minutes ago on Raw a vignette was show, teasing the debut of a "new" masked tag team that appear to be Mexican matadors, basically reusing the gimmick Tito Santana used in the early '90s. Also it seems as though this team will be using the "Ole, Ole, Ole" chant that El Generico couldn't use, but this new team can...:suspic:

Although the preview was short, it appeared to me that the two masked men are in fact Primo and Epico.

Personally, I think this looks incredibly stupid, but what do you guys think, does this have any chance of getting over, should they have just stayed as Primo and Epico?

It's a matador but that doesn't make it Tito. Also, it's a gimmick, it's not the "cookie cutter wwe guy" so I don't have a complaint. I like gimmicks, you need variety in the WWE and I'm at least going to give them a shot. I thought maybe it was Generico at first and got excited.

You know with this repackage of the Colons, it makes a nice title tag division. They actually punched it pretty hard tonight too.

To look down the list, you have the Shield, Usos, 3MB, Wyatts, the Matadores, Tons of Funk, Show/Henry. I'm holding out hope that when Tyson Kidd comes back that we'll get International Air Strike back, and that when Bourne comes back we get a short stint of Air Boom. Finally, if Rey comes back that we came get a stint of Rey/ Cara.

However, even with the seven teams, the E can book the title feud and book a secondary feud while keeping 3MB around as fodder. It's looking good.

You know with this repackage of the Colons, it makes a nice title tag division. They actually punched it pretty hard tonight too.

To look down the list, you have the Shield, Usos, 3MB, Wyatts, the Matadores, Tons of Funk, Show/Henry. I'm holding out hope that when Tyson Kidd comes back that we'll get International Air Strike back, and that when Bourne comes back we get a short stint of Air Boom. Finally, if Rey comes back that we came get a stint of Rey/ Cara.

However, even with the seven teams, the E can book the title feud and book a secondary feud while keeping 3MB around as fodder. It's looking good.

Don't forget the Prime Time Players and the Real Americans!

But seriously, just to continue off of this, I was thinking the same thing when I saw Los Matadores vignette. The WWE displayed a lot of tag teams on Raw. We had a decent match between the Real Americans and PTP (who are now faces, which balances out the division). We also had a decent match between the Usos and 3MB. Although they didn't wrestle, the Wyatt family accompanied Bray to the ring as usual. Los Matadores had their first vignette. We got to see the Shield in action twice (yes I know they weren't tag matches, but they were all showcased). Speaking of the Shield, Big Show basically confirmed that he and Henry want the tag titles. So yes, things are looking up.

Back to topic of the vignette, I would like to point out to the OP that the "Ole" in the vignette is not the same as what's chanted during El Generico/Sami Zayn matches. Real matadors say "Ole" during bull fights. The chants of "Ole, ole, ole, ole" are from sporting events and are still used during Sami Zayn's NXT matches.

Also being a matador =/= them being Mexican. Matadors are in various countries with Spanish influences.

I'm not sure what to expect. In my eyes, it looks like they're meant to be a comedy team. I guess we'll wait and see.

Eh, I'm not really all that confident in this. On the surface, I can't exactly say I'm overly thrilled about this as it definitely seems to be a dated gimmick using he heritage of a different culture that could, quite possibly, rely on a lot of outdated stereotypes. But I'll ultimately hold off my final opinion until I actually know more and see what's what.

On top of that, I flat out don't like Matadors. I've seen footage of bullfights and it's sickening to see how bulls are tortured for amusement. That's really all it is when you get right down to it. Sorry if that offends anybody as it's not meant to be a slur against those of Latino descent but I'd believe exactly the same way if it was done in America, China, or anywhere else. I hate the idea of torturing an animal for sport & amusement, and especially the notion of calling it a sport. Hemmingway said that bullfighting was one of the only real sports and while he was a great writer, he was also one hell of a windbag whose image as this macho adventurer had far more style than substance. If you want to make it a sport, throw away the swords & spears and take the bull on with your bare hands. Let's see you prove your manhood when its just you, the bull and whatever tools God gave both.

A few minutes ago on Raw a vignette was show, teasing the debut of a "new" masked tag team that appear to be Mexican matadors, basically reusing the gimmick Tito Santana used in the early '90s. Also it seems as though this team will be using the "Ole, Ole, Ole" chant that El Generico couldn't use, but this new team can...:suspic:

I'm not trying to make excuses for WWE but it's kind of a different situation as Epico & Primo are actually of Hispanic descent. After all, El Generico, now known as Sami Zayn in NXT and real name Rami Sebai, is a Canadian of Syrian descent with bright red hair. A Canadian man of Syrian ancestry with red hair playing the role of a Mexican luchadore? It really is kind of silly when you get right down to it. Matt Bloom, better known as Albert & now Tensai, didn't exactly get a warm welcome when he showed up in the role of an Asian monster heel. A unique idea? Sure it was. But unique and good don't always go hand in hand.

El Generico is fine for the indy scene, it helped him stand out after all. But if you were to put him on live television on Raw, a lot of people wouldn't know how to take him. He's shown himself to be a very talented wrestler overall in NXT but if I had no idea who he was and saw him show up on television with that sort of character, the first thought in my mind would be that the concept is so absurd that he's going to be another version of Santino Marella.

I think this is going to be stupid and fail miserably. I don't mind repackaging and gimmick changes but when you change ones nationality like Puerto Rican to Mexican I feel it insults our intelligence. This group didn't really need a gimmick, they just needed a push. We'll see where it goes, but I'm guessing that they are not going to get much of a reaction.

I think it's going to be stupid and AWESOME. This is what the tag team division needs, which by the way, what a division! Two years ago, The Uso's were the only real team on the roster. Things have certainly changed for the better, and I'm loving it. This debut does make me think that a current team will be dissolving soon. My guess is 3MB, but who knows? Maybe they'll stick around for awhile.

While the gimmick is kind of corny I do like the fact that they are trying to improve the tag division. I know Los Matadores are not a new team but Primo and Epico have been absent for long enough that It makes them feel new. This gives them 8 real teams to work with plus Big Show & Mark Henry.
If Los Matadores are allowed to wrestle their style I think they can get over with the crowd. I've always been a fan of Primo's ring work. As for Epico he is decent but together they work well. I hope the gimmick doesn't fail for their sake because this could be their last chance.

I'm indifferent. This screams early 90s gimmick. I'm guessing it's a parody from that time.

Will it be popular? Probably. It's not like we haven't seen weird gimmicks be popular and catch on with the crowd in the WWE. How long will it stay popular? Until the WWE has them losing to Tons of Funk and PTP.

On top of that, I flat out don't like Matadors. I've seen footage of bullfights and it's sickening to see how bulls are tortured for amusement. That's really all it is when you get right down to it. Sorry if that offends anybody as it's not meant to be a slur against those of Latino descent

Bullfighting is practically dead in Mexico. In Spain it's become kind of a tricky subject among the civilians and it's cultural significance. Still, this is just WWE creative pointing to a geographical location and asking:

What is Spain know for?

Soccer
Flamenco
Bullfighting

...and just picking one of those.

El Generico is fine for the indy scene, it helped him stand out after all. But if you were to put him on live television on Raw, a lot of people wouldn't know how to take him. He's shown himself to be a very talented wrestler overall in NXT but if I had no idea who he was and saw him show up on television with that sort of character, the first thought in my mind would be that the concept is so absurd that he's going to be another version of Santino Marella.

Sami Zayn has greater potential and a longer shelf life than El Generico.

It's different it's something I want to see before judging it. Tito Santana was a fine worker and I didn't care if he was a "matador" or a "butcher" as long as he kept delivering and being a big name for the Latino community. Primo and Epico are both two great workers, they are fun and athletic. They also come from a big wrestling family in Puerto Rico so that's just one proof that they have what it takes to make it work.

Be open about it instead of crapping on it just because it's a different gimmick. I'm sure they are not gonna be pushed to be on my TV for more than 15 minutes on a Monday Night Raw. They could a babyface duo or an heel cocky duo that are there to make fun of their opponents and stuff. I'm interested to see what they are going to do, if I like it, well great! If I don't like it, then I'll come here and complain.

I'm not sure what to make of it yet, I think the vignette came off really cheesy but once they get out there it might be much better. I like teams that have an identity like teams in the 80's had so they have that as a plus point for me.

First off Primo and Epico I believe are Puerto Rican not Mexican. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. But most importantly, am I excited about this gimmick? Not really. But dont count anything out. If I asked everyone in January if they thought a ballroom dancing gimmick would work everyone would laugh me out of the boards. And now look at Fandango. Although he has lost some momentum he is still popular and his song was #1 on some charts. Dont count them out it may just be the next big thing in the tag team division.

Sami Zayn has greater potential and a longer shelf life than El Generico.

You know when ADR cut that promo at SSlam, it got me thinking, how far can a latino hero go? Upper mid-card for sure ye, but a good competent, masked wrestler can actually be a great merch seller as well as a marquee draw. Yes I'm using Rey as an example. If you market the guy right, a masked wrestler can be a good option on the card. Provided he has some grasp of the english language, can talk his fair share and provide his quota of exciting spots and matches.

I haven't seen their promo, and I'm not that hopeful. What would be neat if we did have a good masked wrestler though.

How old is Liger? Can we replicate his kinky mask as replicas?

this repackaging of primo and epico just screams jobber to me,,, i cant see these guys gettin over unless they actually bring the bull into the arena and have them fight the bull lol//// im happy there gettin on tv again but this one looks bad

this repackaging of primo and epico just screams jobber to me,,, i cant see these guys gettin over unless they actually bring the bull into the arena and have them fight the bull lol//// im happy there gettin on tv again but this one looks bad

Mantaur needs to make a comeback.

I don't think they will be jobbers. Well not just yet. A few Oles later maybe. I dunno this seems like a "Fad Gimmick". As in people might latch onto the Oles and just run with it making this group a fun live experience.

I just read a story updating the situation and is looks as though Los Matadores will have a mascot.

Earlier this year, WWE signed Mascarita Dorada to a developmental deal and he's going to be accompanying Los Matadores. Dorada is a mini, better known to us as a "midget wrestler". He's 31 years of age, 4'5" in height and 110 pounds. WWE has also trademarked the names "Torlito" and "Torito", so I'm guessing those will be the new monikers for Epico & Primo.

I can't say I'm excited at all about this. The inclusion of a mini sidekick, mascot or whatever could indicate that this is going to be sort of a goofy, comedy team. The first vignette we saw of them last night already makes it kind of difficult, based on first impressions, to take the team seriously; so this only makes it harder. Two guys running around dressed as matadors wearing masks with a midget sidekick: this sounds like it has Vince McMahon's fingerprints all over it.

You know when ADR cut that promo at SSlam, it got me thinking, how far can a latino hero go? Upper mid-card for sure ye, but a good competent, masked wrestler can actually be a great merch seller as well as a marquee draw. Yes I'm using Rey as an example. If you market the guy right, a masked wrestler can be a good option on the card. Provided he has some grasp of the english language, can talk his fair share and provide his quota of exciting spots and matches.

I haven't seen their promo, and I'm not that hopeful. What would be neat if we did have a good masked wrestler though.

How old is Liger? Can we replicate his kinky mask as replicas?

That was the whole point of signing Sin Cara. He was a a HUGE draw in Mexico as Mistico. He was supposed to be the next latin hero.

The problem lied in that Sin Cara didn't go to FCW to figure out how to work a match in the WWE. Couple that with the fact that he botched his matches, can't cut promos in english, injuries, and a terrible theme song, it all fell apart.

Epico and Primo are skilled in the ring, they just lack charisma. Maybe this will make them popular. Masks are good merchandise to move, but throughout the history of wrestling in the United States only Rey was able to a huge merch machine.

That's why my hope is in Samuray del Sol. Unlike Mistico, he's actually worked in the States and probably has a better understanding of how things work in the USA.

I am mothafuckin PUMPED for this. If the WWE needs anything, its more gimmicks, more creativity, and more solidified tag teams. It will get them ten times further than wht they were doing before, which was nothing, with no gimmick at all.

Do they remind anyone else of Los Guerrero's? I hope this tag team gets booked properly, I think they could get over very well.
Imagine when Los Matadores break up. Sin Cara & Epico(Rey & Eddie?)
I don't know. That's what this reminds me of.

Although the preview was short, it appeared to me that the two masked men are in fact Primo and Epico.

Personally, I think this looks incredibly stupid, but what do you guys think, does this have any chance of getting over, should they have just stayed as Primo and Epico?

I'd be surprised if it is them since they made the pair look larger then primo/epico are, not to mention being much paler looking then the pair of them.

Although in a sense I wouldn't be surprised since wwe has a history of doing stupid shit like this. Hey, Maybe tito santana is back. Even if he isn't one of them, bring him in as their manager. El Matador Rides again.

Up Next: Odla and Doal Montoya, the Portugues men of war. And coming soon, Border Patrol, Mountie 2 and Sheriff Bart.

Just wait and see, the spirit squad are going to make a great return soon too...

Nah, but seriously, i don't like these kind of gimmicks. They aren't thought through well half of the time (i mean, why in gods name would two matadors, who work alone in the ring, team up, go to the US to do wrestling?), and the gimmick itself really doesn't support a decent storyline to begin with.

There have been multiple gimmick type wrestlers who just fell flat eventually or didn't get any further than lower midcard.

Fandango, ballroom gimmick, jobber at the moment. Brodus Clay, funk gimmick, food for kids. Tensai, japanese big guy, food for kids in a not even totally explained repackage. And the list goes on and on. I'd rather see a good NXT tag team make it up to the WWE roster than this half-assed attempt to be clever.

I'm really not to keen on this gimmick already, But to be fair Primo and Epico did need a overhaul and if they had stayed as they were then I imagine they would have been released before long. You never know, they might even make the gimmick work and it also adds more depth to the Tag Division

I have to admit, I like the gimmick. I agree with another post that they would make a good heel team. I think the gimmick would go over better as heels. The gimmick reminds me of an 80s tag team. That is a good thing because the WWF tag team roster was stacked in the 80s. A side note, the first person I thought of when I saw the vignette was Tito Santana. I know I'm in the minority but I liked his matador character. In my opinion, Tito was one of the best WWF in ring workers and at the time his career needed a rejuvenation. I thought the gimmick was colorful and charismatic. So I'm looking forward to the tag team and hope the gimmick goes over.

Primo and Epico had done all they could possibly do as a combo in my book (without any real gimmick), so giving them this gimmick has breathed some new life into them as a team. They could of done the split and then both ended up nowhere within the matter of 4-6 weeks.

I think that they have given up on Cara and Mysterio can't go on forever so I believe they'll push Rey in singles. So we're just going to have the one masked team of these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back