Los Matadores: First Impressions

I wanted to hate it because it was overly cheesy, but I didn't. Instead I thought of who it was geared towards and appreciated it. With all the serious stories going on, the kids need something, and that is who Los Matadors are for. Also, I was impressed with El Torito's athleticism, he was bouncing all over the place. They could be like a Modern Day Bushwackers, which could be good for business, pun intended. I was expecting more flash, high flying double moves, and quicker tags.

If Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were in the midst of a 2 out of 3 falls classic, my wife would have checked Groupon 600 times, Facebook'd every person she knows and commented about D-Bry's ratty beard.

Instead, she didn't take her eyes off the screen and even giggled and commented on 'the little guy'.

She couldn't possibly care less about wrestling. The flashy entrance and el Torito made her actually smile a bit while watching. That is a plus in my book.

Of course we'd all like to see a 5-star classic and deeply personal, logical story arcs for every character and feud. But, let us not forget that wrestling should be fun. These guys are fun. The acrobatic bull is fun.

My wife shouldn't be the barometer for all gimmicks, but she was a pair of eyes on the screen that wouldn't normally be there.

They went the Brodus Clay route. Dressed them up and had them come out looking as stupid as they possibly could. Hoping to get over by dancing and over pandering to a crowd. Remember him? Give him a chance is what everyone said. He's completely irrelevant and its not because he can't work. His gimmick is trash and he doesn't even believe it can get over anymore.

They'll probably never cut a promo...they probably don't even "speak English".

They'll be back in the same slot they were in as Primo and Epico in a few months. The same slot that Tons of Funk are in right now. Helping to put other teams over.

Would've gotten over better as heels along with Hunico and that other dude he rode around on the bike with. Latin gang type of gimmick. It would've lasted longer than this.

Pathetic.
soon as they did the first shot of them walking down the isle it was obvious it's Primo and Epico, that whole mini bull thing and there style is weak. Next....

I don't think WWE thinks too high of them. They didn't put much effort into the vignettes. Although it's interesting and entertaining to the PG audience which is all that matters. The little bull mask will probably get them some money. Other than entertainment, they'll never be featured in a main feud or main event. Maybe a couple tag title runs in the future, but mostly entertainment.

I once said that I found it to "gimmicky" and that it would be basically an embarassment for Primo and Epico and that they'd be thrown into oblivion.
I think that in the long run that will happen, but I actually didn't deslike their entrance, with El Torito being led amidst the smoke in the entrance ramp.
I guess the duo has shown on or two new moves in relation to what they used to do, but their high flying style got a little bit boring towards the end.
Also the crowd easily acknowledged their identity, so I don't think the "E universe" won't give them much credit.
As a side note, not having in mind the size difference, did someone like me thought for a split second that El Torito was being played by Sin Cara? :)

I think debuting them outside of a smark City was a good move, at first there was virtually no reaction but they did get some decent responses as the match went on.

Personally it's not my kind of thing but it has it's place in wrestling. I could see them teaming with Santino, Khali and Hornswaggle to form a new Oddities down the line! :D

I fully expect them to turn into jobbers for up and coming heels in a few months. Think about it, most of these outlandish gimmicks that have been getting debuted seem to fail after a few months of momentum. Brodus Clay, Fandango, Tensai etc.

Now, I actually hope this is not the case because God knows we need tag teams in the division. Add on to the fact that I think Primo & Epico are good wrestlers, especially Primo, I really hope they don't fizzle. There needs to be longevity, and the way to achieve that is to find a balance between jokey-entertainment and seriousness.

1. That little Bull was purely a distraction to remind us that this is not Primo and Epico.
2. Their costumes look like I could get them from the back of the clearance post-Halloween rack at Party City.
3. As always, Primo y Epico are impressive wrestlers, and variation on their styles as themselves and as Los Matadores are subtle, but great.
4. That finisher looks awesome to me, I don't care what anyone else says. Maybe it's because the setup is just so epic I was expecting like a 360 degree backflip chokeslam or something.

Ehhh it was funny for about five minutes. The match was good, and I am all for another tag team to add to the division, but I think it was just a bit overdone. The little midget bull freaked me out a little bit hahah. I will give them a chance, but I just don't see too much coming from this. It didn't make me sick, but it wasn't all that good either.

Initially with their gimmick when they came out I felt it was silent on RAW (the reaction on Smackdown tonight was far better). I don't think the gimmick is something the fans are gonna get behind.

That said the wrestling portion on both nights was solid from the two.

For the record, Grammar Hammer, "spelt" isn't a word. it is "spelled".

Maybe he's British where it is used as the past tense of spell.
And even if he isn't spelt is still a word. It just doesn't have the same meaning here as it does there.

On topic. They don't bother me at all. It's kind of kid oriented but that's not too big of a deal. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. With the segment that aired on Smackdown I have a feeling we're in for some comedy stuff with them and 3MB. If that happens it's going to be like Hornswoggle all over again which I'm sure the majority of people are going to complain about.

Since noone mentioned it yet (sorry if i missed it) behind the El Torito mask and costume is the mexican wrestler Mascarita Dorada. He is actually one of the best midget wrestlers in the world and had very decent matches with "regular" sized wrestlers! Just take search for that name on youtube.

Well here is an example.

When I first saw the video package, I was thinking that this was going to be just another stereotype gimmick and it turns out that is exactly the case with Los Matadores. They are the stereotypical Mexican bullfighters complete with their own little midget mascot bull. Is there a stereotype WWE hasn't done before? This is just another example of how desperate and out of touch WWE is with their audience and how cartoony gimmicks are perceived to be "good for business". The show may be PG but that is no excuse for doing dumb gimmicks to try and get interest.

Morning bitches. :D

Not keen on the gimmick, seems a bit dated, very "Tito".

That bull thingy will draw the kids in i imagine, who's in the suit? Is it that little green cock-womble?

Not a fan, at all.

I think I've seen enough of Los Matadores. With Hornswoggle, Khali, Santino, Brodus Clay, Sweet T, and Fandango, WWE has more than enough acts to fill their weekly quota for goofy comedic bullshit. Sorry, I tried to give them a chance, but the act is stale already. The entrance seems to be the main attraction for Los Matadores, but it's so over the top and ridiculous to the point where I can't laugh at it. If Los Matadores is limited to a grand and unfunny entrance, then I can't imagine they'll last long in WWE.

They're still in their introductory phase. Perhaps they'll be more interesting when they begin to engage in some real feuds. They were matched against a couple of nobodies on Friday night.....and their appearance was dreadful. Primo & Epico were so busy pausing during the match to sell their toreador moves that the action lost any continuity it might have had. Not their fault, of course; it's the way the contest was choreographed. For all we know, the two of them might be downright embarrassed at what they're being ordered to do.

On one hand, I can appreciate the showmanship Creative is striving for and want to give these guys a chance to work themselves into the tag team mix, hopefully leaving behind the cape-waving as they go.

On the other hand, during one of their boring matches, I keep hoping Tito Santana will show up and beat the living shit out of both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back