Is he a 'Franchise QB'?: Matthew Stafford

Is Matthew Stafford a 'Franchise QB'?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
In football it's generally thought that if you have a 'Franchise QB' you are set for 10-15 years and will be able to contend if you put enough complementary pieces around that QB. Except for in the rare cases where the complementary pieces are stronger than the QB (85 Bears, 00 Ravens), it's basically a requirement that you need a good QB to be a Super Bowl contender.

In this thread, I will present to you a handful of players who are currently the undisputed starter for their team. These guys will not have won a Super Bowl before, since all of the QBs with a ring would likely be considered 'Franchise QBs'. This thread isn't for them. This is a thread for guys that may or may not have the talent to lead his team to a Super Bowl Championship. I will list the pros and cons of the player listed and then I'll open it up to you guys to decide if the said QB is capable of being labeled a 'Franchise QB'.

Please note: my definition of a 'Franchise QB' is a guy that is the center of your offense and won't ride the coattails of his defense to a title (Dilfer with the Ravens, Grossman on the Bears as examples of guys I WOULDN'T consider franchise QB's even though they won/made a Super Bowl as the Starting QB.
---
The first case presented was Mark Sanchez, and it was quite unanimous (13-1 vote) that Mark wasn't/won't be able to reach franchise QB status. Today we're going to go with a contemporary from that 09 Draft class, and the other QB to make the playoffs as the starter from that class - Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford. Once again, I'll present pros and cons to why he can be a Franchise QB.

Yes, he's a Franchise QB
-He's only 24 and has already thrown for 5,000 yards. Only Dan Marino was younger than him when he threw for 5,000 yards.
-He's progressively improved in his 2+ years as a starter in terms of completion %, QB Rating, lowering INT rate.
-He's lead a once dormant Franchise to their first playoff berth in over a decade.
-Has already set numerous Franchise records - although some of that can be said about the lack of good QBs the Lions have produced.

No, he's not a Franchise QB
-He's been injured in 19 of the possible 48 games he can play in, which isn't a good ratio.
-He's only 13-16 as a starter.
-He has Calvin Johnson at receiver, which always helps a QB out.

Compared to Sanchez, Stafford doesn't appear to have as many question marks. I'll come right out and say I think Stafford is the face of this franchise and will lead them to a Super Bowl sometime in his career. I'll take the rest of my time to debunk these perceived flaws against Matt.

He's been injured in 19 of the possible 48 games he can play in, which isn't a good ratio.

Both of those injuries would've hurt any player and I don't believe show he's injury prone. He didn't get hurt anytime in his career before that injury his rookie year. He's now had surgery on that shoulder and it'll have to break for him to get hurt, which will be damn near impossible. He's shown he can play through injury (had a broken finger for a 3 game stretch where he played with gloves and produced poorly) and the Lions are beginning to address the need for some OL help by taking Tackle Riley Reiff in the first round in this past draft. While we don't know how he'll perform, it's safe to say that the Lions have a plan for Reiff to take care of his blindside either this year or the year after when Backus is gone. I'd expect more picks to address the line in future years at Center and a Guard, with many of the linemen getting up there in age.

He's only 13-16 as a starter.

Considering the situation he was put in, it's a bit surprising he's only 3 games below .500 for his career. The Lions weren't good his first 2 years, and rookie QBs don't typically have great years, despite what some of our recent history shows. Now that they have more talent and depth on the team, Matt's shown the ability to make these guys winners. There's a certain HOF by the name of Troy Aikman that began his career 14-24 and ended up 23 games over .500 for his career and he came into a very similar situation (bad team, needed pieces around him). Give him another year or two and I wouldn't be surprised to see his record over .500.

He has Calvin Johnson at receiver, which always helps a QB out.

Some stats to chew on (I stole this from another forum I frequent):

Shaun Hill (the Lions current backup) was no better or effective in Detroit with Calvin than he has been his entire career:

Detroit w/Calvin: 61.8% completions, 3.8% TD, 2.9% INT, 6.5 YPA, 81.4 QBR
Outside of Detroit: 61.7% completions, 4.4% TD, 2.1% INT, 6.7 YPA, 87.3 QBR
---
Staffords #'s from last season:
To Calvin: 96-151 (63.6%), 1685 yards (11.2 YPA), 16 TD/4 INT (4.0 TD/INT Ratio), 125 QB rating
To Everyone else: 325-512 (63.5%), 3370 yards (6.6 YPA) 25 TD/12 INT (2.08 TD/INT Ratio), 88 QB rating

That's still producing at a high level, and to knock Stafford down simply because he's going to the best receiver the most (which he should be) is ridiculous. You think he's not going to throw it to Calvin if he has a favorable matchup? Frankly, Calvin should be getting at least that many targets. I don't care if it looks like it's one dimensional, 150 targets is a fair number for a guy like him. And Stafford deserves some credit, because it's not like Hill was producing at a great level with Calvin as his #1.

So, yay or nay?

Absolutely.

He threw for 5,000 yards in a season. I mean, what more evidence does one need to know that that's the kind of quarterback you want to build your team around?

Yeah, he had the injuries early in his career, but the Lions weren't ready anyway. The fact that he had that 5,000 yard season AFTER suffering those injuries is WAAAAYYYY more telling than if he had a season like that before he got injured. The fact that he was able to still produce elite level stats during his first full season, after missing so much action during his first couple of years due to injury, is nothing short of remarkable. It reminds me of Drew Brees after he suffered his career threatening injury in San Diego, only to come to New Orleans and have the greatest run any quarterback has ever had. You would call Drew Brees a franchise quarterback, wouldn't you? If so, then you have to put Matt Stafford on same pedestal since he's doing exactly what Drew did.

Also, one thing Megatron didn't mention is that Stafford does a LOT of charity work.... in, around, and out of the city where his team resides. That's a vital part of being a Franchise Quarterback, and he's more than lived up to his duties in being there for the fanbase of Detroit and for those less fortunate.

Of course he is. You want to know how many qb's in NFL history have thrown for over 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in the same season? Dan Marino, Drew Brees, and Matt Stafford. I don't care if he has only played one full season, that one season was a record breaking one. He showed signs of his potential in his first two injury riddled years and last season he exploded on the scene as an elite qb. The scary part is that he is still only 24 years old and after only 29 career starts he is better then most of the all time greats were at his age.

The sky is the limit for Stafford as long as he stays healthy and last year he proved he could take a beating and still play all 16 games. Not only is he a franchise quarterback, Stafford is another great season from possibly being a consensus top 5 quarterback.

Matthew Stafford has done virtually nothing to prove he is a franchise QB. Here's why:

1. His first 2 seasons were terrible. He could not stay on the field if his life depended on it. In his first 2 years Stafford missed 19 games with injuries (including arm injuries/surgeries). What he did in the games he played is irrelevant. You don't become a franchise QB by playing in less then 50% of your teams games. If he can't stay on the field, he can't be your franchise QB.

2. He had one great season. I'm not taking anything away from him for that, it was insanely impressive (albeit having Calvin Johnson made it somewhat less-so). One great season does not a Franchise QB make. He's a franchise QB when he can have many, many good seasons. You want to see why he's not a franchise QB?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MajkDo00.htm

Don Majkowski led the NFL in passing yards in his third season after not starting half of the first 2 seasons games (4300 yards meant WAY more in 1989 then it does in 2011). The Packers probably thought they could have something after 4300 yards in 1989, and maybe have their franchise QB, but guess what? Don Majkowski never became a franchise QB. He never reached that level of success again thanks to injuries and ineffectiveness, and 3 years after his amazing season he lost his starting job to a 2nd year 2nd round pick (who was picked by a different team and traded after his first season, no less).

COULD Matt Stafford become a Franchise QB? Of course he could. The Lions are betting on it, and based off of last year it's not a terrible bet. HOWEVER, he's not there yet. First he needs prolonged success.

To compare him to music, right now he's the guys that did The Macarena. He's a One Hit Wonder. He's not The Beatles. He had the one hit, and he'll always have that, but he's not that sure-thing that a Franchise QB has to be.

I have to agree with Stormtrooper here. The potential is there, but Stafford is not there yet, and one good season doesn't make you a franchise QB just yet, that will have to be proven over time. I can't help but think of Cam Newton in this conversation. His rookie season was really really good, and folks might be thinking he will be the franchise guy for Carolina, but we've only just begun to test the waters with him. He shows promise and potential much like Stafford, but that can fade away in no time at all. I think you do have to put some stock into the fact that after 3 years in the NFL, he's just completed a full season. If that becomes any kind of trend his stock is going to drop dramatically. Lets hope he can stay healthy for the most part because I do think he's got the stuff, I just don't think I can call him a franchise guy quite yet.

I'll say he is a franchise QB. He is 24 and he threw over 5,000 yards in a season. How many legend QB's say they had a 5,000 yard season? I think if he stays healthy, He will improve his game. If I was the GM in Detroit, I would sign or draft another WR on the other side of Megatron. I would also sign a reliable back to carry the ball. Detroit is going to have a great team for years to come!

I think he's a franchise guy. There's nothing to say that he's not or won't be. Injuries were a problem for him, and they could be in the future too (and that's really the only risk here), but then again, injuries are a potential snag for every player.. so I'm not going to hold that against him. His first two injury-plagued seasons could have cast doubt on his worthiness as a franchise guy, but I think that issue was mostly rectified by his great performance this past season. His numbers were phenomenal, right up there with the likes of Brees/Rodgers/Brady. Sure, he had Calvin Johnson. Did CJ pad his stats? Probably. But then how good is Matt Ryan without all-star calibers in Roddy White & Julio Jones? How good is Schaub w/o Andre? The list can go and on, and those are only active duos. But you gotta give Stafford credit. God forbid you consider how good or bad Calvin Johnson is without Stafford, and you have that shitty Jaguars QB Gabbert throwing him the ball. Let's settle it by saying they mutually benefit each other, but no more than any other duo. Stafford is quite capable in his own right, and he's certainly good enough to be considered a franchise guy, and Detroit rightly views him as such.

As long as he can stay on the field, he'll definitely be a franchise QB. He's got a great arm and Calvin Johnson would help make any QB look good. They have the potential, even as early as next year, to be real contenders with that offense. They're mostly just getting used to each other and it's already started to gel very well. If that defense could improve some more they're a very dangerous team that I know I don't want my team to face twice a year.

Matthew Stafford has done virtually nothing to prove he is a franchise QB.

'Virtually nothing' is a ridiculous statement to make. Taking a team that was only a few years removed from 0-16 to the playoffs while winning the comeback player of the year and becoming one of only 5 players to throw for 5,000 yards is more than 'virtually nothing'.

1. His first 2 seasons were terrible. He could not stay on the field if his life depended on it. In his first 2 years Stafford missed 19 games with injuries (including arm injuries/surgeries). What he did in the games he played is irrelevant. You don't become a franchise QB by playing in less then 50% of your teams games. If he can't stay on the field, he can't be your franchise QB.

While this was a clear concern before last season, he's more than answered that now while playing all 17 games last season (including playoffs). The Lions have also begun to finally address their line problems, which need an upgrade since they're aging and weren't great to begin with. They still need to improve there, but adding Reiff will hopefully fill up one of their holes there.

2. He had one great season. I'm not taking anything away from him for that, it was insanely impressive (albeit having Calvin Johnson made it somewhat less-so). One great season does not a Franchise QB make. He's a franchise QB when he can have many, many good seasons. You want to see why he's not a franchise QB?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MajkDo00.htm

Don Majkowski led the NFL in passing yards in his third season after not starting half of the first 2 seasons games (4300 yards meant WAY more in 1989 then it does in 2011). The Packers probably thought they could have something after 4300 yards in 1989, and maybe have their franchise QB, but guess what? Don Majkowski never became a franchise QB. He never reached that level of success again thanks to injuries and ineffectiveness, and 3 years after his amazing season he lost his starting job to a 2nd year 2nd round pick (who was picked by a different team and traded after his first season, no less).

Majkowski also never was thought of as a 'franchise QB' before that 89 season. He was a 10th round pick from the draft. Stafford has always been projected as a top QB (Mel Kiper predicted he'd be a #1 pick when he was still in HIGH SCHOOL). We've seen no-name, late round drafted QB's have a season of success before (Derek Anderson, Majkowski, Matt Cassel, David Garrard) and then later falter due to just not being as talented. While there are exceptions to the rule (Brady, Joe Montana) most of the time, if you are expecting a top QB, you have to pony up a first rounder for him.

COULD Matt Stafford become a Franchise QB? Of course he could. The Lions are betting on it, and based off of last year it's not a terrible bet. HOWEVER, he's not there yet. First he needs prolonged success.

You could say that about essentially any QB that hasn't played 5+ years. The 'wait and see' seems like a copout when we've seen what this kid can do over a full season.

To compare him to music, right now he's the guys that did The Macarena. He's a One Hit Wonder. He's not The Beatles. He had the one hit, and he'll always have that, but he's not that sure-thing that a Franchise QB has to be.

A one hit album would have been a better comparison (song=game, album=season) but I see where you're going with.

However, the concern consistently remains that he can't stay on the field despite proving that this past year (even with suffering a broken finger midseason and throwing the most passes last season - making him more susceptible to big hits/sacks). He's proved he has the talent to perform and win in the NFL. You can't bet to see injuries on anyone as they're quite random - Tom Brady was out for the year with an injury, as was Peyton Manning. Brees would've as well only his occurred at the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back