Intercontinental Championship: John Bradshaw Layfield vs. Rey Mysterio

kylexxx

Occasional Pre-Show
So on RAW just now they mentioned that Rey has challenged JBL to an IC match at Wrestlemania. I would like to see a trip down memory lane to the battles between Eddie and JBL come into play and have JBL agree to the match with the stipulation that if JBL cant beat Rey he will retire. Saying that if he cant beat another Mexican he will retire, we all remember how racial and personal the JBL/Eddie fued got. It could be the way to boost the Hispanic audience for Wrestlemania and increase buyrates amongst that demographic. Kids and the Hispanic audiences alike will hate JBL even more and Rey becomes a more over face. Its win win.

Thoughts?

Even if their match at Wrestlemania is good (assuming it happens). You could always think that it could have been a lot better, due to the fact that they do not have much time to build up their match. When you look back though, you'll see that a J.B.L./Mysterio rivalry or build-up is usually a lot better than the match itself, so if they do have a match at Wrestlemania, I doubt it'll be too good. Even if he re-enacts the storyline where he says that if he loses to Mysterio, he will retire.

If it happens they can't build it up properly. Raw seemed rushed tonight cos they tried fitting too much in, so they can't hype a personal feud, just a title match. JBL should have come out after Rey won to say "I accept your challenge, I'll see you at Mania," to give it some build IF it is happening. I think we will, as Rey cannot be left off the card.

THANK GOD. I literally marked out when Cole mentioned that challenge. I don't care if they've fought a billion times; as long as the IC belt is FINALLY being defended at Wrestlemaina, I'm for it.

They've got about three weeks to build this. Obviously not an ideal amount, but the story doesn't have to be Casablanca or anything. They've got tons of history they can rehash, plus Mysterio is a big enough face to get people interested. JBL is a great heel, who wouldn't want to see him lose that belt?

The only thing I wonder is if this going to fit in to this big surprise that JBL is supposed to have for 'Mania.

I'm happy we'll finally get another chance to see an IC Title match at WrestleMania, but the idea of Rey and JBL is a little upsetting. They've feuded before, and it wasn't anything worth remembering. So, why do it again? Maybe it'll be a little better, since it is at WrestleMania, and because Rey is a much over face right now.

I can't really think of a better option than Rey for the IC belt, but I'd like to see him face someone other than JBL for it. With any luck, Rey will be able to do some carrying in this match, and pull off the win. It's about time he gets another title.

So WWE manages to give us an Intercontinental Championship match at WrestleMania and they manage to do it so that I have no interest in it, well done WWE.

It sucked when JBL and Mysterio feuded before and I'm not holding my breath on this one, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be anything that great. The one thing I do like about this match though, is that JBL is nowhere near the main event matches. It'll be another underdog story with Rey Mysterio and it'll be a nice little moment for his fans and the hispanic audience if Rey wins it at WrestleMania 25. I hope Rey takes it off JBL though, god I can't stand him, atleast with Mysterio we might be able to see some exciting matches later on with Punk or someone else of similar size or maybe even Rey Mysterio vs Chris Jericho. I wouldn't mind that.

Well all the people who bitched about the IC title never getting on the WM card, I just have to say "becareful what you wish for". So now we have JBL, an over the hill, slow, fat ass against Rey Mysterio, a deterioating, underdog who's half the wrestler he use to be. And to make matters worse we have seen this feud not too long ago(or at least I think we did, it was so boring and uneventful I don't know if it was a nightmare or reality).

To be completely honest I could care about this match either way. Do I think the WWE could have found a better option to fill up the WM card? Yes? Do I think people won't order WM and boycott the PPV because of the match? Hell no?

Basically it's just a filler match, probably used to put the IC belt on the card for the first time in a while, and to promote JBL's "big event" that is suppose to happen. And while neither wrestlers or extrodinary anymore, I think at the grandest stage of them all Mysterio will pull out all stops to make the match, at the very least watchable. I have confidence that Rey will give 100%.

So meh? I don't really like this match or want it on WM, but as long as it doesn't take up too much time I really don't care either way.

Yawn, yet another rematch. Twice they've faced each other one-on-one on PPV, numerous times on Raw & Smackdown and a billion times in multi man matches.

I was actually hoping it would be Kennedy vs. JBL, man it'd be awful. But at least it's something I don't remember ever watching before. That'd leave Rey to face Jack Swagger in the ECW title match, after winning a battle royal.

Three brands,three shows a week,three weeks to go.Dont worry folks,theyve time to hype it up.
I said with Friend of Vince JBL holding the IC we might see some PPV matches & lo & behold,here he is,barely weeks after it looked like neither he or HBK would be there.
Im not sure if Rey,s the ideal candidate for a possible grandaddy swansong,rumour is Rey,s heading back to SD which he didnt wanna leave in the first place! but with the ECW title match still to be decided & Cena fitted into WM SomehoW .Its interesting to note ,Chavo & Khali, are ,the only EX available world champs NoT in WM so far.

As much as I'm glad to see the IC belt defended for the first time in 7 years. I think there could more star power in this. Where we've seen JBL and Mysterio so many times, they could have had more people in it, or even have it as a Fatal Four Way. Problem is with already so many multi-person matches occuring, it would lose interest, but gives more people on the card.

So that's now:
IC Title match: First time in 7 years
Mysterio at WM: First time in 3 years
Tag Team Titles: First time in 3 years

Any others?

The way this card is shaping up it's seeming more and more like WWE is almost afraid to go with a new batch of matches for Mania but rather old matches that we've already seen several times. This match won't be bad and while it's nice to see this title defended at Mania again, these two have zero chemistry together. This sounds absurd, but JBL's clothesline is hard to pull off because he has to duck to hit Rey and it looks even worse than usual. I hope Rey gets the belt and while this is going to be one of the highest profile matches that the title has seen in many months, it won't blow the roof off the place.

FINALLY the IC title is on the line. I almost can't believe it. I can live with it being JBL vs Mysterio. Won't be much of a match I'm sure. The build up should be decent considering there won't be a whole lot of time to do it. Rey will go to SmackDown! after the draft I'm sure, so JBL will prolly walk out the winner here.

bad fuckin ASS. Im overjoyed the IC title is going to be on WM. and with time for a month build, its even a remote possiblity that JBL drops the title here. I love the JBL stiff work against the super bumping on Rey Rey. I might even go so far as to say, this is the match I am most interested in at this point. Cant wait, awesome job WWE.

I see JBL retaining here because there has been some talk of Rey getting drafted back to Smackdown. If JBL retains he might get involved in the WHC match and have the IC title and WHC. Also he brings the title back to Raw. Thus making history.

It's just a decent opening match for such a stacked card. It gets these two veterans their Wrestlemania payday, and it puts what should be a prestigious title on the line again.

Though, I would have rather seen Punk vs. DiBiase for the IC title.

Well the draft is coming up, and there is rumour Mysterio will go back to smackdown. what if they shake things up and Mysterio wins the I.C title at mania and brings it to another brand?

I would rather see Punk vs Mysterio. Much more entertaining i think

I love these match JBL is the most underrated wrestler ever Rey OMG he nothing more then a reject but that a other story, These might be better then the WWE title match( although any match is better then that match)

The best part is these finally shut up those moron who were complying about the IC title not being on the PPV

I feel that if they can put a tag team, and ic match on tha card, then there is no excuse for the ECW Title not to be on tha card, but i'll find another thread to talk bout it more

JBL still wants to make history: How about taking off Mysterio's mask at Wrestlemania?
Hasn't been done in WWE yet.
That's about the best I could do.

How else could ne make history?

Sadly just not enough build up here but it would make for a fairly interesting feud at least for these 2. I either see JBL retaining and losing it at Backlash or Judgement Day, or Rey wins it and yet has another weak title run.

Rey wins and moves to Smackdown, MVP moves to RAW. Switch titles, I'd like that. I think Rey'll win mainly to further his career. And so they can have the title on Smackdown, it looks like a good way to switch the titles. It will shake things up a bit.

Don't really like either against each other. Could be all right, Rey can take a good knock and JBL can give one. Might work.

(I wish they'd bring back the Cruiserweight title (lol yes going down that road) give it to Rey, and use it too build up some small guys.)

Hmm, it's great that the Intercontinental Title is being defended at Wrestlemania, but I find it rather upsetting how the feud is just so underwhelming. I mean, JBL won the title a few weeks ago off CM Punk, simply because he had nothing else to do at the time. Rey Mysterio didn't make the card either, so knowing the WWE's lazy booking, why not throw them both together and attempt to make fireworks? Sadly, it just doesn't work that way. But, kudos to the WWE for actually putting the Title on the line. For this match though, they Intercontinental Championship had to be on the line to make this match even remotely interesting.

I hate Wrestlemania feuds where the participants are wrestling each other just for the sake of it. JBL won the Title. Rey makes a challenge to JBL(that didn't even air on TV), JBL accepts. Rey baseball slides JBL. JBL kicks Mysterio in the face. In two fucking lines, I just summed up this entire feud. It has no purpose it terms of rivalry. If JBL held the Title for many months prior to this, maybe I would care a little more seeing as I desperately would want a new champion, but JBL just won the Title, and therefore he isn't boring as the champion, yet.

Anyway, the match itself should be decent. Nothing special, but a good David vs Goliath type feel. Rey Mysterio should win this match and take home the Intercontinental Title. JBL may even retire soon and it's evident his career is coming to an end. Mysterio still has a few more years left in him, and with the rumors that he's going back to Smackdown, he may even bring the IC Title with him to the blue brand. I'm not entirely against this, but I just don't want it to happen. But I do want Mysterio to win the Title cleanly here, in what should be a decent but an easily forgettable match. It's not meant to be anything special anyway, seeing as it's technically a mid-card bout.

Well, not much to be said about htis match other than indifference. Honestly, I'm not too thrilled about the IC title being on JBL as it was just done to get him on this card. I like the Idea of the Money in the Bank having the US and IC championships in it, as almost a reward for having a belt and getting a free pass into that match, but oh well.

JBL sucks, can't say it enough,a nd Mysterio at this point isn't much better. Oh, and they gave this match away, for free, this week, on Raw, what the hell. Why bother with this match at all at Mania? It's not Mania quality, it's just meh. I'm guessing Bradshaw will win, but hoping Rey wins,a nd JBL retires.

Real, ah, weird. I dunno bout this. Why the fuck did Rey win on monday?? Another one thats tough to call. Would they POSSIBLY even consider the ghastly thought of having JBL go over here?? even after the incredible preformance Rey put on at NWO?? Or, maybe, JBL loses two straight to the little big man, quits, and then becomes the new SD commentator. That is an absolutely terrific scenario, and eerily enough, the same exact thing that played out the FIRST time JBL quit and became a commentator. One can only hope.

NorCal prediciton : Ray Mastrio

Real, ah, weird. I dunno bout this. Why the fuck did Rey win on monday?? Another one thats tough to call. Would they POSSIBLY even consider the ghastly thought of having JBL go over here?? even after the incredible preformance Rey put on at NWO?? Or, maybe, JBL loses two straight to the little big man, quits, and then becomes the new SD commentator. That is an absolutely terrific scenario, and eerily enough, the same exact thing that played out the FIRST time JBL quit and became a commentator. One can only hope.

NorCal prediciton : Ray Mastrio

Mine too. I would love for JBL to become tha commentator 4 Smackdown and maybe that would be tha gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back