New Intercontinental Champion!

JBL as IC Champ is the best move the WWE has made in the midcard in a very long time. He is perfect and he has more credibility than most midcarders as he is a former main eventer. If he has a title reign that lasts at least until SummerSlam this belt will be back to where it used to be...the upper mid card. He gets airtime every week so I don't see why it would be any different with the IC Strap. He will cheat, he will get heat, and he will be hated. It will be perfect because when the face finally beats him, the IC title will be a belt to shoot for. Maybe an Evan Bourne, Face Santino, even an MVP (if he doesn't win MITB).

On a side note: I'm glad CM Punk lost last night. CM Punk doesn't entertain me that much. His moves don't look smooth, and he doesn't sell his offense well...other than the GTS he doesn't really do anything in the ring that impresses me to the affect that I think he should get the pushes he has been receiving. He is best suited for ECW...a feud with him and Swagger would be good for the brand. Does anyone agree?

This is becoming ridiculous. JBL as IC champion.... the Intercontinental title is broken beyond repair now. WWE had everything they needed for a good IC champion in CM Punk, but what the hell do they think JBL will do? He's the least credible "main eventer" in the WWE. Commentators keep bringing up that he's a former world champion... Yeah, 5 damn years ago. He means nothing anymore.

I feel so sorry for CM Punk. He went from being on the brink of the main event 8 months ago to now jobbing for JBL. Can he really recover from that? It doesn't even look like he'll be feuding with JBL since he's in the MitB match. He's lost all credibility.

So now we've got an IC champion with no credibility and one midcarder with so much potential who's now got no credibility. Well done WWE. Another nail in the cofifn of your midcard.

Well here is someone who's going to hold the title and actually brag about it like it was a world title. Since Santino, they've gone back to guys just walking around with the belt, and not emphasising it through mic work and big matches on PPV.

JBL can't go one broadcast without getting on the mic, and you know he's going to brag about beig IC champion, and the only real logical way to set him up with opponents, is to have guys who WANT to be IC champ confront him, thereby making the title seem like it's worth something again.

Hopefully, he WILL actually hold the title for several months and not try to get World title shots while he holds the IC title.

An IC title match at WM is a step in the right direction, and i can't honestly see it being against anyone other than Mysterio.

We can only hope and wait at this point.

I Am Glad Jbl Is Ic Champ Maybe Now It Can Get Some Class Back Because It Surely Was Not Go Get It Around The Waist Of Someone That Really Sucks Like Cm Punk That Is Why All Of His Title Reagins Are Horrible Wwe Gives Him Chance After Chance But He Always Drops The Ball He Cant Handle The Responsibilty Wwe Should Do Everyone A Favor And Show Him The Door Maybe He Can Go Back To Ring Of Honor Even Then He Still Would Not Have Any Honor

I Am Glad Jbl Is Ic Champ Maybe Now It Can Get Some Class Back Because It Surely Was Not Go Get It Around The Waist Of Someone That Really Sucks Like Cm Punk That Is Why All Of His Title Reagins Are Horrible Wwe Gives Him Chance After Chance But He Always Drops The Ball He Cant Handle The Responsibilty Wwe Should Do Everyone A Favor And Show Him The Door Maybe He Can Go Back To Ring Of Honor Even Then He Still Would Not Have Any Honor

Anyway. What the Intercontinental Championship needs is someone who enjoys being the IC champion and someone who will talk up the title as if it were something to behold, JBL is the perfect guy to put the belt on because he will talk about the title in the same vein as a World's Championship. If JBL hold's it until Summer Slam then that would be cool, but until around Survivor Series would be cooler as I feel the IC title needs a LONG reign to make it elusive.

All the talk about JBL bringing "prestige" back to the IC title is nonsense. What brings prestige is booking the title as if it means something, they didn't do that with Punk, he folded at the first real challenge for it, let's not forget they booked it that way, and if JBL gets to defend and retain numerous times, it ain't because he's bringing "prestige" to the title, it's because he has pull with creative and booking. The title wasn't put on a better man, it was put on a better connected man.

point blank JBl was in smackdowns main event match for 27 straight pay per view thats a record for any show so the guy is accomplished love him or hate him hes been there before and he will get some good things going with this title

I'm met with indefference. The IC title is shit, and bounces around from guy to guy nearly every six weeks. It's a big deal when someone wins it, and then it eventually gets shoved to the side and then no one cares until the next guy wins it.

I hate JBL, I am not shy about saying it. He's a fat piece of shit excuse of a wrestler, and he's boring as all hell. If he cares for the title, good for him, because I don't care about that belt. The IC title has been meaningless since it was retired in 2002, so putting it on a fat guy in his 40's does nothing for me.

I think JBL will do for the Intercontinental Championship what he did for the United States title and thats give it a massive amount of air time and prestige. I can see him holding on to it for a little over a year and have some pretty good mid card fudes on his way to being a main eventer again (trust me JBL will hold the WWE/WHC title again). He is one of the top 5 heels in the WWE and his Mic work is second only to Y2J....Good for you JBL!!

I hate JBL with a passion as a wrestler, he's boring in the ring, and has awful look. However he's gold on the mic and is one of the most credible, dare I even say high profile heels in the mid-card right now. He's no longer a full main eventer, and for right now is far away from the world title. Which is why he is perfect for the Intercontinental Title. CM Punk was a good champion I guess, or at least it appeared he was gonna be a good champion. However his focus right now it seems is to regain the world title by winning the MITB match, not on being IC champion.

Everyone says CM Punk was gonna bring focus back to the title, I disagree, unless the IC champion's main focus is defending his title, not gaining a bigger one, the focus isn't gonna be on the IC title. JBL on the other hand has no other real focuses right now and he has the character that'll put focus on the title. To gain heel heat (which JBL is gold at) he'll play up his title win as the biggest thing ever and actually make the title seem important.

I say this win is bigger than Punks win, yeah I'll say it. CM Punk is great and everything, but doesn't have what it takes to make the title seem important because he's got bigger things in mind, winning the world title, which makes that title seem less important. Now all the title needs to keep this momentum going is some high-profile defenses. Maybe now it'll be defended at Wrestlemania, which is something everyone wants, that wasn't gonna happen with Punk as champ, and possibly be defended semi-consistently at monthly PPVs. Rey Mysterio will probably be first to fight for it at 'Mania, then maybe a program with Kane will be in the works. As long as bigger names go after it, the title will regain some meaning.

As much as I hate JBL, I think he's the best thing to happen to the IC title in quite some time.

I don't think he will add much to the title, but it was an OK idea. It keeps JBL out of the main event scene for a while and gives him something to do. It makes him a Grand Slam Champion which is what they probably did it for anyway. It means that the title will probably be challenged at Wrestlemania, which is a big deal nowadays. So even though I hate the idea of JBL with any title, it has its upsides.

when somebody was in the main event match for a show for 27 weeks in a row that says something about him. JBl may not be a great wrestler but hes a great worker and is a fabulous heel! he has done great things for every title he has had! he will do something good for this belt just watch

Here's how I think the Interconinental Championship Title Picture should go over this year.

Since JBL is champion, a decision that I would've never made in the first place. I'd have him beat Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania, but eventually lose it to Rey at Backlash or sometime after that.

Then I'd have Rey fued with John Morrison which will culminate in a Ladder Match which Morrison would win.

Morrison holds the belt for a few months, then he loses to C.M. Punk.

Punk would hold the belt going into next year where he drops the title to Ted Dibiase.

Strap yourselves in, because the only way to restore credibility to the title is a long run for JBL. The belt needs to be in the hands of a strong heel, IE Honkytonk Man, Mr Perfect, Michaels, Owen Hart, Rock. Bradshaw needs to have a long reign, so maybe it might actually MEAN something when he finally gets beat for it. If Rey beats him for it at Mania, what the hell will that accomplish, other than continuing to pass the damn thing around like a hot potato.

JBL with the title will be a good thing because there are only so many heels that CM Punk could defend the title against. You have Regal and JBL but other then that there isn't much there. Although Kane isn't a main eventer he doesn't really go after the mid card titles either, and Mike Knox hasn't done anything noteworthy in a while. JBL can now defend against guys like Punk, Rey, and Kofi. I could see a JBL vs Mysterio match at Mania and then after that JBL can start feuds with Punk and Kofi. Eventually one of the young faces will be put over JBL and get the title, but hopefully JBL keeps it for a while before that happens.

Strap yourselves in, because the only way to restore credibility to the title is a long run for JBL. The belt needs to be in the hands of a strong heel, IE Honkytonk Man, Mr Perfect, Michaels, Owen Hart, Rock. Bradshaw needs to have a long reign, so maybe it might actually MEAN something when he finally gets beat for it. If Rey beats him for it at Mania, what the hell will that accomplish, other than continuing to pass the damn thing around like a hot potato.

AMEN!

Hot potatoe titles are watered down and do nothing for the competitor that holds the belt. Period. I certainly hope that JBL does his best to boost this title back into the spotlight and help it regain some credibility, or at least steer it in the right direction.

I think folks who are expecting JBL to have a long run with the Intercontinental Title are gonna be very disappointed, because it looks like he's gonna be retiring soon.

Why would Vince put a belt on someone who's contemplating retirement???

Well, if it gives JBL something to do then why not?

Let's face it, CM Punk's reign was starting to look like shit, and with him in the Money in the Bank match at Wrestlemania 25, he really didn't need the title anyway. JBL has never won the Intercontinental Championship prior to this weeks Monday Night Raw. JBL wasn't booked for Wrestlemania, so why not defend the Title at the big event, giving himself something to do, keeping his opponent busy (whoever that may be, I'm thinking Rey Mysterio) and it also gives the IC Title credibility, for being defended at Wrestlemania. This is something that hasn't occurred in a long time.

Also, I heard about the JBL retirement rumours, and I think that are only rumours and not actual facts. Why would they have JBL win a Championship belt and look like he is going to defend his newly won title at Wrestlemania, if he was going to retire a few weeks later? I know some superstars have even won title belts in their final match with the company, eg. Trish Stratus. But even so, it doesn't make much sense which is why I believe JBL will not retire just yet. Maybe next year he may leave World Wrestling Entertainment.

Hopefully JBL takes this opportunity and runs with it. He "cheated" to beat CM Punk, which I guess is good for the youngster's credibility. I'd be interested in seeing JBL defending the IC Title against Mysterio at Wrestlemania. They haven't wrestled each other since as long ago as 2006, I believe. So I think this could be a fairly decent filler on the card. But at least the Intercontinental Championship and the champion himself is getting air time. It's time to give the belt some damn credibility, and JBL is definately the man for it.

This is absolutely fantastic. It gives the IC title a chance to get onto the show, is why. There have been JBL retirement rumors circulating, and him dropping the IC title at Mania will be a final good swan song for him. Hopefully to Rey Rey mastrio, who currently doesnt have a match, but yet, is on the poster.

Also, everyone seems to forget that there is still a month before WM. a month long title reighn before it gets dropped isnt exactly "hot potato" and they could set up a nice little bigotry angle with He and Rey. Loving this idea. The best thing to bring credibility back to a belt, is a strong heel, former world champion. Great move.

The "leaked" storyline was that J.B.L. wanted to make history at WrestleMania. The way I see it, this helps him as well as the Intercontinental Championship, as it'll be the first time the title's been defended at Mania, since at least WrestleMania X-8. (2002) (I could be wrong, but I don't think I am)

J.B.L. is strong enough to be a credible Champion going in to Texas, yet he's easily capable enough of putting anyone smaller over him. Such as Rey Mysterio, who doesn't have a match going into Mania.

The original storyline leaked was that J.B.L. wanted to be like Ricky Steamboat. He wanted to carry the title into Mania and have a great match with someone. While the term "Great match" and "J.B.L." truly will never be in the same sentence in a positive way, the fact remains this could be the gateway for Mysterio to become the next Champion.

I think that giving JBL the belt can only do good things for it, cause now he can come out and talk for the next month about how he was the longest reigning WWE champion, and now he is on his way to becoming greater than the Honkey Tonk Man, and ricky steamboat, pat patterson etc, and how his triumphic return to his home state will be capped off by him defeating an opponent and defend his IC title on the grandest stage etc...... Standard JBL mikework, the only thing you can really credit the man for, hopefully we'll get something good out of Rey Rey vs JBL, and not just a repeat of their feud in 2006, with JBL just organising super heavy weight after super heavy weight to really, wear and grind down Mysterio, only for Rey to pull it together at the last moment.

In a JBL blog that ended up deleted, he mentions the IC title has nothing to do with the "history" he wants to make at WM25. I strongly believe he will interfere in the Undertaker/HBK match and cause Undertaker to lose, thus making history as the man responsible for ending the undefeated streak.

I have to admit that the IC situation was crap. But to have JBL win it so suddenly I think is bad and they should have built up to it. Since JBL is from Texas before he went to New York, he probably win at Wrestlemania. And maybe that is a good thing because they need to build this title back up. Back in the day it was a very good belt. CM Punk was not very good, Regal too and heck I forgot who the champ before that was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back