Inappropriate Selling during interactions

OutsiderDX

Getting Noticed By Management
I would like to hear about some occurances that a wrestler just sells an interaction inappropriately. I'm not talking about wrestling moves, because those would be endless.

I bring up the topic because of the complete lack of complete human reasoning that John Cena sold Lesner's return. His reaaction made zero sense.

Here comes a monster of man who is well known for his lack of friendliness and he just interrupted your speech, and he looks as serious as a heart attack. And Cena's reaction was to smirk, applaude, and offer a handshake.
(i won't get into Cena just laying passively on Lesner's shoulders, like he was sipping a cocktail on a sunny beach)

What are some other inappropriate selling?
What are some of the great interaction sellings?
Does it take away from the realism / have long term affects?

One of the great sells for me is, HBK selling the Undertaker's entrance during the first Hell in the Cell... Shawn went from fear / scared, to angry and dertermined all in the span of the entrance. It set the tone for the match, and created realism.

Another Example of completely bad selling is when CM Punk and Vince were in the ring to sign his new contract, and CM Punk goes from being silly and patronizing, into very very serious and heartfelt tone. Vince is angry and tables are flipped over. Then Cena comes in and starts doing impressions of kids, and talking about Bed Bath and Beyond. It just took the steam and realism right out of the segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTWF-Ul3tVc

Well as for overselling, the worst case of it happens during weak looking submissions. Clearly they are barely doing anything, and the guy is losing his mind in pain...awful. The most recent example was the wrestlemania main event. Rock has always had a sloppy looking sharpshooter, whatever, but the ones he barely put on at mania were particularly bad. But he was one upped for sure by Cena's STF/spoon cuddle. There was zero torque happening there, and The Rock was damn near passing out....ugh. Some might consider that nit-picking an otherwise ok match, but those kind of details kill it for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

I get what you mean and you're right.

Cena looked really childish last night. He wasn't even shocked. You could understand form Brock's look that he ment bussiness. Serious bussiness. But Cena again overeacts when it comes down appearing in serious segments. Half of the times he looks overconfident (last night, most of his promos against The Rock) and the rest of the times he is way much more serious and angry than needed (see his segments with Alberto Del Rio).

After last night I don't expect Cena to win his match against Brock Lesnar. But, there might be something behind the curtain here. There might be a storyline revolving around Cena's overconfidence actually being the reason of his defeats by both Rock & Brock. Cena will understand that and will challenge them to have rematches which he eventually is going to win. But that's just some fantasy booking and nothing else ;)

Shawn Michaels is the champion of overselling. He's always done it to add tremendous emotion, but sometimes, he lets his bad side come out.

Exhibit A: HBK v. Hulk Hogan
[YOUTUBE]XyN5sAShqOA[/YOUTUBE]

occurances that a wrestler just sells an interaction inappropriately. I'm not talking about wrestling moves, because those would be endless.

Shawn Michaels is the champion of overselling. He's always done it to add tremendous emotion, but sometimes, he lets his bad side come out.

Read the whole thread before posting.

On topic: I agreed 100% with Cena yesterday. He sold nothing. Big MMA fighter, Former WWE Champion who can throw 500lb people around like rag dolls. Nothing, No emotion. Smirk and clap. Most annoying thing I've ever seen. But I didn't notice first time watching it because I was too busy marking out.

Then you should just continue to mark out. Be a fan. That's all you guys are... over-reacting to stupid things like this is stupid.

By the way, his reaction when Lesnar came back was pretty good. Maybe he should have flailed a bit when Lesnar picked him up, but the smirk is exactly what he should have done. And didn't Lesnar offer the handshake? I dunno, I was just happy to see Lesnar give Cena the F5. Could care less how Cena's face looked or how much he fought away from the F5, the point was proven.

First of all, I really disagree with you on the Cena/Lesnar interaction.

I bring up the topic because of the complete lack of complete human reasoning that John Cena sold Lesner's return. His reaaction made zero sense.

Here comes a monster of man who is well known for his lack of friendliness and he just interrupted your speech, and he looks as serious as a heart attack. And Cena's reaction was to smirk, applaude, and offer a handshake.
(i won't get into Cena just laying passively on Lesner's shoulders, like he was sipping a cocktail on a sunny beach)

He didn't interrupt Cena's speech, it was already over. Cena didn't offer the handshake, Lesnar did. Yeah Brock Lesnar looked serious, he always looks serious, its not exactly a tell. And as for the reaction itself, Cena doesn't have to be afraid of Lesnar! He could have been amused to see him. Think about it, He was expecting The Rock, hears "we want Lesnar" chants of all things, and wouldn't you know it, out comes Lesnar. I'd be smirking too. I'm probably as sick of cena as you are but it seems like you're just looking for more reasons to hate on him. (and failing)

ANYWAY. Back to the topic. I think the most inappropriate sell during an interaction was in Jericho's WWE debut. He shows up with that spectacular entrance, the crowd goes nuts... and then the rock calls him a few names and he looks like he's going to Jeri-cry. Even Chris Jericho regrets that. :shrug:

Well as for overselling, the worst case of it happens during weak looking submissions. Clearly they are barely doing anything, and the guy is losing his mind in pain...awful. The most recent example was the wrestlemania main event. Rock has always had a sloppy looking sharpshooter, whatever, but the ones he barely put on at mania were particularly bad. But he was one upped for sure by Cena's STF/spoon cuddle. There was zero torque happening there, and The Rock was damn near passing out....ugh. Some might consider that nit-picking an otherwise ok match, but those kind of details kill it for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Cena's STF has to be THE WORST submission of all time. 90% of the time it looks weak as hell and guys still tap? The first time he did it was the best when he was legit looking like he was choking Chris Masters out. But selling the move is part of the business. The Rock didn't oversell. He sold it to make a shit move believable.

Bad example. HBK PURPOSELY oversold against Hogan to piss him off. They were supposed to have a 3 match feud, with HBK winning 1 and Hogan winning 2. Hogan refused to lose to HBK. So, HBK oversold everything on purpose to piss Hogan off, and it worked.

Then you should just continue to mark out. Be a fan. That's all you guys are... over-reacting to stupid things like this is stupid.

By the way, his reaction when Lesnar came back was pretty good. Maybe he should have flailed a bit when Lesnar picked him up, but the smirk is exactly what he should have done. And didn't Lesnar offer the handshake? I dunno, I was just happy to see Lesnar give Cena the F5. Could care less how Cena's face looked or how much he fought away from the F5, the point was proven.

I agree with you 100%

Who gives a damn if someone oversells? People nit-pick about EVERYTHING these days. Whether it's Lesnar's return, the Bryan/Shemus match at Mania, or whatever, it's done for a reason and that's that.

I personally liked the debut last night. Cena, being the face of the WWE, was "excited" to see Lesnar come back. He was smirking because he was calling out someone, and someone else came out. I'd have liked to see Cena say something like "Speaking of guys who left out of nowhere" before getting F-5'ed.

People need to STFU about little things that have no bearing on anything. Enjoy the whole moment, don't get your panties in a bunch over something so inconsequential.

Cena is a master at selling badly on the mic and burying his opponnents so my list will mostly be about him.

When The Rock cost Cena the match and TITLE at Mania he came back the next night all laughing and saying no biggie, I want to challenge the Rock now... You should be mad, like REAL MAD, that he cost you your title.

Then fast forward to when Punk and Cena faced each other in a good match only to have Del rio cashed in the MITB on Punk. Next night Punk is all understanding, saying he did it to others so he know it's part of the game, but Cena this time is REAL MAD, like HULK MAD.

This year before Mania, Rock is saying he will whip Cena and Cena is laughing in his face with his stupid smark instead of being agressive and serious.

Last night Brock comes back and he's all naive like "Glad to have you back", no, no, no... the guy is coming to kick your ass. You should be doing the Vince McMhaon swallow thing.

I'll try to think about other wrestlers, but right now I can't see any on the top of my head.

I thought this at the time as well but you have to remember that John Cena's gimmick is to rise above hate. It would not fit his character to cower away from someone.

Very similar to when Karma first arrived and the other divas would just stand in the ring until she got there and hit her finisher.

Really? Really? Just another thread to hate on Cena. It was no secret that Lesnar was back. Hell, the fans were chanting we want Brock. What is Cena supposed to do? Run & cower? If he did that then there'd be a thread today about him looking weak & not standing up to Lesnar.

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who realized this trend. A lot of people try to find the reason's to why the "attitude" era was much better than this "PG" era & I think A LOT has to do with these little things.

It's NOT just Cena, but Cena does this a lot. I hate the fact that when they put HUGE builds into a match & he loses he just acts like it's nothing.

Someone hit it nail on the head, Cena should be PISSED about losing to The Rock. Cena should feel like he let the ENTIRE locker room down. Cena should feel like he let himself down. Instead, we get him acting like it's whatever to him & he just lost. Also, YES, Cena sould have tried to escape the F-5. He just sat there looking like he was unconscious, it's pure stupidity. Shawn Michaels, Triple H, hell, even Daniel Bryan wouldn't have just "laid" there.

In a sport that his heavily scripted & deemed "fake" they should be trying their HARDEST to make it look real. I try & defend wrestling with my friends but it's hard when we watch the bullshit Cena segment from last night.

Sorry, just venting.

I think there are many guys on the WWE roster who could be guilty of no-selling on the microphone. Compare Daniel Bryan's short segment compared to Cena.

Bryan stood there in silence staring down as he was asked to comment on his recent match. On the other hand, Cena stood there smirking after selling a match on how important it was to him. I don't blame Cena, it seems that someone is so determined to make him the ultimate good guy they're afraid that people will immediately knee-jerk to OMG CENA WAS PISSED OFF! HEEL TURN HEEL TURN HEEL TURN!

I think Cena was way too understated yesterday. Lets look at another physical interaction from last night. Punk v Jericho. Jericho's assault was brutal. Punk started flat on his back admittedly, but he was at least trying to defend himself. I don't know if Cena was staying still because he was worried Brock would mess up the F-5 or something but he could've at least moved his legs. It was as bad as when Punk hit the GTS on clown shoes.

The night after a PPV is also so important to sell a story and character.

Example: Back in 2008 Mickie James just lost her title to Beth Phoenix at Summerslam. Then the next night, less than 24 hours later, she skips down the aisle with glee, with a big smile and does her posing for the fans. I found that so unrealistic. She should have put her trademark entrance away for the night and shown some actual realistic feelings. Anger / Depression / Determination / Bitterness- I don't care, but dont be happy.

As another poster above stated, the way Cena sold his loss to The Miz on Raw after Mania was booked wrong. He should have been angry, real angry, but instead it was like "Whatever, it's just the WWE championship" give me the Rock. He should have shown anger, like the anger he showed in the Kane program.

As for his reaction to Brock last night I feel it was almost perfect. Cena lost to a part time superstar from the past, called him out to give him props and BOOM, out comes Brock. Cena's smirk is not a smug smirk to me. It's a smirk of "frustration" of "what's next"! He hears the crowd pop for these part timers while he is here every night.
He definitely should not acted scared, he is the face of the company who is "not afraid to take on all comers". If he showed fear it would go against everything his gimmick stands for!
It seams to me Vinny Mac is doing his best to turn the crowd more against Cena every chance he gets. First the Rock, then the whole Zack Ryder thing, now bring in Brock! i I don't think Cena will turn at all. He will keep his Rise Above Hate gimmick for a long time, no matter how frustrated with the WWE universe, himself, and other performers he becomes.

As another poster above stated, the way Cena sold his loss to The Miz on Raw after Mania was booked wrong. He should have been angry, real angry, but instead it was like "Whatever, it's just the WWE championship" give me the Rock. He should have shown anger, like the anger he showed in the Kane program.

As for his reaction to Brock last night I feel it was almost perfect. Cena lost to a part time superstar from the past, called him out to give him props and BOOM, out comes Brock. Cena's smirk is not a smug smirk to me. It's a smirk of "frustration" of "what's next"! He hears the crowd pop for these part timers while he is here every night.
He definitely should not acted scared, he is the face of the company who is "not afraid to take on all comers". If he showed fear it would go against everything his gimmick stands for!
It seams to me Vinny Mac is doing his best to turn the crowd more against Cena every chance he gets. First the Rock, then the whole Zack Ryder thing, now bring in Brock! i I don't think Cena will turn at all. He will keep his Rise Above Hate gimmick for a long time, no matter how frustrated with the WWE universe, himself, and other performers he becomes.

I wish I could agree with you, but Cena just has a track record of not selling.

Nobody is saying he should cower, but take Brock showing up seriously. When Cena did the same thing to the Rock, Rock wasn't smirking and acting like it was no big deal, he was staring at Cena with a "I'm going to kick your ass" face. Cena looses titles, gets screwed by The Rock, but it never seem to bother him. Yet he lost his mind when Del Rio screwed Punk by cashing in his MITB and then there's the whole "embrace the hate" nonsense. It doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint.

Though we haven't really seen this in awhile, mainly because he hasnt been having regular long 1 on 1 matches on Raw anymore and I hate to bag on Cena again. But..

That things he does where they'll go the outside Cena will take some move and the other guy will go in the ring and the count will start. 1! No movement 2! No movement 3! No movement 4! No movement 5! No movement 6! Is he actually hurt? 7! He may be dead 8! Oh dont tell me... 9! Out of nowhere jumps up and does the worst looking dive imaginable into the ring where he proceeds to pass out again. Looks so stupid, especially when he sells that as something devastating that left him virtually unconscious but once hes in the ring nothing can hurt him that bad again. Pissed me off to see so much.

How did he get screwed by the Rock? He came to show respect to the Rock. He lost fair & square. Why should he be pissed? He called out the Rock & got pinned by a better superstar in the biggest match of the year. All the marks who come on here complaining about booking or no selling, well you know what, I'm a worker & 99.9% of the time there is a reason for why someone no sells or what their reaction is. Cena didn't react to Lesnar because Lesnar hasn't been there for 8 years. What should he have done? Just another reason to hate on Cena. How do you know Lesnar wasn't supposed to hit that move sooner? What's Cena to do if Lesnar picks him up, supposed to hit the move but instead holds him up there for a couple seconds? Start fighting after 2 or 3 seconds? Yeah, what would everyone be saying about Cena then?

yea last night was pretty weak. it really doesnt pale in comparison to his wrestlemania match vs the rock. he looked like a child sulking out in the ring when he went to do the peoples elbow. to me it felt like he thinks his shit and was very unproffesional

How did he get screwed by the Rock? He came to show respect to the Rock. He lost fair & square. Why should he be pissed? He called out the Rock & got pinned by a better superstar in the biggest match of the year. All the marks who come on here complaining about booking or no selling, well you know what, I'm a worker & 99.9% of the time there is a reason for why someone no sells or what their reaction is. Cena didn't react to Lesnar because Lesnar hasn't been there for 8 years. What should he have done? Just another reason to hate on Cena. How do you know Lesnar wasn't supposed to hit that move sooner? What's Cena to do if Lesnar picks him up, supposed to hit the move but instead holds him up there for a couple seconds? Start fighting after 2 or 3 seconds? Yeah, what would everyone be saying about Cena then?
WrestleMania 27 The Rock Rock Bottoms John Cena and Miz wins, thus he screwed Cena. No one on here is saying he got screwed at WM28 they are talking about how he no sold the loos to Miz last year on the Raw after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back