Dave's Wrestlemania 31 Review

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
WrestleMania 31
Levi's Stadium, California
Attendance: 76,976

Aloe Blacc is signing America the beautiful, which is pretty cool. He's actually a good singer and made it almost mean something. And as long as it isn't Nicole Scherzinger again I'm happy. The set looks cool this year, too. And what's more, not too many people's view is obscured by the stage like last year. Awkward.

Ladder Match
Intercontinental Championship

This match was a war from start to finish but I do feel as though it was missing some spots that really puts up into the echelon with the ladder matches at WrestleMania X, or even some of the spotty ladder matches from the TLC era, so to speak. In terms of the match itself, it was solid. What's more, it seemed a lot different from what we have been getting from ladder matches in the past. Although it seems unlikely, it actually seemed as though it was more of a fast paved encounter with not too much pissing about with ladder placement and slow climbs. This was the pacy match that it need to be to get the fans invested in the card. The spots that did happen were pretty cool too; Dean Ambrose getting powerbombed through the ladder looked absolutely incredible and will likely be talked about as spot of the match.

In terms of a result, it's a good decision. Daniel Bryan needed to win to set up the rest of the card. Looking back on it now, this was not a card for the fan favourites. But we'll come back to that later. Daniel Bryan needed his WrestleMania moment and the fans needed it too. He got a fabulous reaction from the fans when he finally got rid of Dolph Ziggler with the headbutt and took the strap. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that Championship on Bryan. And what's more, where does everyone else go from here? Especially Barrett, who has been booked as one of the worst Intercontinental Champions in the history of the belt.

Rating: 6.5/10

Randy Orton versus Seth Rollins

This was a great athletic showing from both Orton and Rollins but I don't think anyone expected it to be anything else really. With the booking of this match over the last few weeks, it was pretty obvious to me that Randy Orton was going over to avenge the damage that Rollins had did to his career all those months ago. And by putting it second on the card, it got the crowd fully behind the card going forward; something that didn't change until Roman Reigns appeared in the main event. This match had some really cool spots and was arguably a better spot fest than the match that came before it. And I guess that is a testament to Randy Orton and Seth Rollins. It started out quickly and kept that once throughout. I don't think anyone will forget the spot for the final pin from Orton; popping out of the Curb Stomp to land a devastating RKO that sends the crowd into a frenzy and puts Seth down for the 3 count.

This was a great match that I enjoyed immensely. As I said, the spots were awesome and it was a fast paced match throughout. The card placement made sense in the grand scheme of things but I would still have liked to have seen this match get a little more time. For what it was, it was a good match. What's more, the result was right. Orton looks good as the man who pinned the WWE Champion and Rollins would go onto be become the WWE Champion. I have no real complaints about this match and actually would go so far as to say it was amongst the best on a very strong card.

Rating: 8/10

Sting versus Triple H

The match that no one ever thought possible? Yeah because everyone naturally assume that if Sting did ever appear in the WWE, he would be facing off against The Undertaker. But as far as opponents go, Triple H is a decent choice. The build up to this has actually been pretty good. The two guys haven't got their hands on each other since Fastlane really and I've been waiting patiently to see what both guys can do. Sting appears to some Japanese drum music for an unknown reason. I don't really get the significance of it but I'm sure someone does... Triple H appears to a Terminator themed entrance complete with Arnold as the Terminator; which is needlessly cheesy and something that I didn't enjoy that much. I thought that last year's entrance was a lot better but since Triple H and Arnie are best pals now, this wasn't completely unexpected.

As far as the match goes, I enjoyed it. But not as much as I thought I would. It really walked the narrow line between being a great homage to the past and being completely overbooked. For me, I didn't need to see the NWO and DX. this match would have been a wrestling classic without them, so I don't really follow the decision to get them involved. Having said that, it seemed to get the crowd into the match and that is enough to give it the thumbs up. And as much as I thought the match could have done without those guys, it was a cool moment to see Hall, Nash and Hogan heading down to "Save the day". After all, what is WrestleMania without Hulk Hogan, right?

However, the moment that Shawn Michaels got involved was the moment that I felt it become overbooked. What difference does a match like this make to Shawn Michaels? He hadn't been a heel for absolutely years and has shown no interest in this match throughout. I don't think he needed to be there and I didnt like it. These two guys should have been allowed to have their match without any outside interference and give the crowd what they wanted.

As far as a result goes, this was the wrong decision. As much as I am a huge Triple H mark, he should never have gone over here. I get that he is the representation of the WWE and is a legend in his own right. But this feels like a final middle finger to WCW, an insult that never needed to happen. Having Sting return for one WrestleMania is great. But having him lose to someone who hasn't won a WrestleMania match in almost half a decade is not the right decision. I am perfectly willing to see what becomes of this result and I don't think I will have to wait very long. But right now, it seems as though Sting got shafted. He showed exactly why the WWE wanted him for so long and hope that isn't the only time we get to see him at Mania. That said, the handshake between the two men afterwards was a nice touch... Even if it did seem a little forced.

Rating: 8/10

Cut to Daniel Bryan being interviewed. I'm checking my watch because it looks like it's time to put over Daniel Bryan and the Intercontinental Championship. This was cool. "DAMN cool".

And now time for the half time show of the 2015 WrestleBowl spectacular. As far as musical acts go at the big event, this wasn't too bad. A couple of good songs and the acts didn't overstay their welcome. And Travis Barker is awesome...

Paige & AJ versus The Bella Twins

First off, I should talk about the build up to this match, which has been utterly awful in my opinion. I get that the WWE wanted to get as many Divas on the card as they could (#GiveDivasAChance). I'm not even annoyed that this was a Tag match either. What I am annoyed by is the fact that Paige and AJ were mortal enemies not too long ago. Actually, they've tarted fighting amongst themselves less than a week ago. So how exactly does it make sense for them to be a tag team here? And to not showcase the Divas Championship seemed a little off to me. I would really liked to have seen a fatal four way match this year rather than the Tag match. Still, this is our lot.

As far as the match itself goes, it was pretty watchable. I don't mean to sound secret but I just can't seem to get invested in a Divas match right now. Maybe it is something to do with me, or maybe it is the fact that WWE aren't doing a great job of making their Divas look that great. Nonetheless, it was given time to tell a story and it partly accomplished it. I liked that The Bellas wrestled this match as awesome heels, keeping Paige stranded in the corner and targeting AJ continually.

However, there was too may inconsistencies with this match. For one thing, the Rack Attack was enough to out Paige away last week. But after targeting Paige for a few minutes and hitting her with it here, it doesn't seem strong enough. Also, I couldn't help but notice that AJ was fetal for most of the opening of the match. But as soon as she was tagged in, she was the picture of energy. That threw me off a little.

In terms of the result, I don't like it that much. Like I said, I feel to see how a team that has been literally fighting amongst themselves goes over an established team. The Bellas are a team that I really like and who have been really good heels. I get that this match was all about image and bullying and the face team needed to win but I just don't agree. Still, the result doesn't affect the rating and I'm glad that Nikki keeps the Championship for a while yet.

Rating: 4.5/10

Time to recap the Hall of Fame for this year. Mean Gene has been trundled out again for his one gig of the year, introducing Rikishi, Alundra Blayze, Larry Zybyszko, Connor Michalek, The Bushwhackers, Tatsumi Fujinami, Randy Savage, Arnie and Kevin Nash. Good class, if you ask me.

Rusev (c) versus John Cena
US Championship

So, in familiar fashion, lets have a look at the build up to this match. The whole "American Super Patriot" thing is not something I have enjoyed quite frankly key. I think that, at this point, the WWE fans are perfectly within their rights to boo for Cena. This gimmick has been going on for as long as I can actually remember seeing John Cena. And obviously it has been dialled up a few notches lately because of his opponent. But surely there was another route this match could have gone down? Surely. Regardless, Rusev and Lana have been awesome lately and have added another dimension to this match. Lana's absence recently has shown us how much that Rusev needs her and it's awesome to see her return for the big event.

The entrances this year were something to behold and this match was nothing short of that standard. Rusev's entrance in particular was fantastic. I mean, it's not every year that you see someone arrive at Mania on a fucking TANK! even if one of the soldiers with the flag was waaay out of step with the others, it didn't matter. Honestly, this was exactly the spotlight that Rusev needed and he made the most of it. It was so old school it was reminiscent of Rocky and Ivan Drago. Really awesome stuff. Cena's entrance wasn't that special in all honesty; making use of patriotic sentiment and old school footage. But following Rusev's entrance, nothing was going to come close. Rusev cutting off the announcer to make her announce him first was a nice touch also.

As for the match itself, it was a really good encounter actually. The crowd seemed really hot for Rusev but Cena got a really negative reaction. And when you can't get an American crowd to cheer for you after showing an entrance video like Cena did, there is something really wrong. Throughout the match, the action was kept at a decent pace; the fans seemed indifferent for both parties in actual fact. However, I have to give credit to John Cena for making Rusev look like an utter Champ. In actual fact, Rusev looked like a dominant beast throughout; controlling the match for large portions of time before Cena would invariably rally. This match showcased the wide array of Rusev's moveset and really put him over as a dangerous heel, even if he didn't pick up the win. A lot will be said about this match and Cena going over but seeing him do a crazy Jumping Stunner was worth all of that discussion. But really, the focal point of any discussion should be about the future of the former US Champion because he looked incredible.

In terms of the result, it was never really in doubt, right? With how the match was booked, it was always very likely that Cena would be leaving as the Champion. With it likely that the WWE is going to try to elevate the mid card Championships, I can see Cena holding onto that title for a long time. That much I can learn to tolerate. What I won't tolerate is having Rusev fade into obscurity now. He's no longer undefeated, his submission was finally broken, and he's not the US Champion. Rusev needs something now more than ever and I hope that the WWE reward him for his efforts here, he's got a massive future.

Rating: 8.5/10

After a bit of a recap of the pre show, Stephanie McMahon and Triple H are in the ring telling everyone how worthless they are, despite them filling the arena and lining their pockets. They're simultaneously robbing them and running them down. Nice people, The Authority... Still, it's not too long until The Rock appears to give the California fans a WrestleMania moment that they won't ever forget. Soon enough, Stephanie is on Dwyane's case and cutting his balls off. She slaps the shit out of him and orders him out of the ring.

Not to be outdone, however, he finds his Furious 7 co-star Ronda Rousey at ringside and helps her over the barricade. After a bit of a fuss between everyone, we get down to the action; The Rock taking it to the King of Kings and Rousey giving him a hip toss for good measure. The WrestleMania 32 featured match is just about set, right?

This was a cool moment but seemed as though it should have been 5 minutes shorter. It was slow going for a lot of this interaction but I'm sure it will be worth it going forward. Rousey would be a cool addition to see around a few times but I think this is a one and done shot for her. I already can't wait for Dallas...

Bray Wyatt versus The Undertaker

The build up to this match was a bit tedious at times but I found myself buying into the hype when it got close to the actual event. Again, the entrances were pretty cool; Wyatt using a creepy scarecrow motif for his walk. It was like something out of the Walking Dead. This was the first time that we've seen Taker from WrestleMania last year and he looked good, I have to say. He's getting on a bit now but he looked pretty good; certainly a lot better than last year. A lot was made of his appearance but he's obviously put some graft in to get ready for the match. Kudos. That said, it wasn't dark enough yet to make the most of the fireflies and The Undertaker's entrances. That sucked.

But enough about that, lets talk about the match. The same match that I promised myself I wouldn't get invested in. The Undertaker had already lost his streak, so what was the point in getting invested again? Well, let me tell you something; I was just as enthralled this year as I was last year. When Taker was down, I cheered when he rolled out at the last second. When he was controlling the match, I felt the excitement of the occasion begin to creep in. He's The Phenom for a reason, ladies and gents. He might not have been the most agile or blessed with bags of stamina at his age. But he knows how to work a crowd and I got completely invested in his fate once again.

The match was relatively short for an Undertaker match at WrestleMania but that's to be expected now. Bray Wyatt looked awesome despite not picking up the win and, basically, looked like a good replacement for The Undertaker when he decides enough is enough. The moment when Bray was doing the crab walk and Undertaker sat up gave me goosebumps and sense of occasion that only happens when you know You're witnessing a WrestleMania moment. The tempo was slow and methodical as you might expect. But there was a few moments that picked up the pace and Undertaker looked comfortable with it. It wasn't a wrestling clinic, nor was it an instant classic but it was a decent match and a welcome return to form for a wrestling legend.

The result was fair, too. A lot of people will talk about how Wyatt should have won and I can see why they'd think that. Wyatt is now on a losing streak at Mania events; losing to John Cena and now The Undertaker. But he's also been in the ring with John Cena and The Undertaker at WrestleMania. His push will continue and he'll have plenty of time to shape his own legacy at WrestleMania in future years. Taker needed this win more than Bray did and it opens a huge amount of opportunities for the WWE. Next year we might get Sting and Taker and we will all be invested in it. If he'd had lost twice in a row, I can't say that I would feel the same.

Rating: 7.5/10

Brock Lesnar (c) versus Roman Reigns
WWE Championship

Well, here it is. The biggest match of the WWE calendar year is upon us and so much has been said up until this point. I've enjoyed the last few weeks with Heyman really being the star performer throughout all of this. Still, even I had my reservations before the match. But finally, the time for talk is over. Roman Reigns has not been given a chance from the WWE Universe so it's finally time to put up or shut up. He says that he can and he will beat Brock Lesnar, so lets see how he does.

In the early goings of the match, Lesnar is all over Reigns; landing an F5 within seconds of the match starting. It's going to be a tough night for Reigns... But Brock didn't get it all his own way, being busy open three times in the match; the first of which within the first 10 seconds of the match. I remember Roman saying that it didn't matter if he won or lost in the end, he just wanted to prove that Lesnar could bleed like the rest of us. He certainly did that. That said, this was a stiff match. Like, really stiff. When I was watching it, it felt like this match was a shoot on Roman Reigns. The punches, the kicks and the knees from both men were frighteningly vicious. And if it wasn't a shoot, then Kudos to both men for being prepared to have such a physical match. Within the first five minutes of the match, I was utterly hooked.

Lesnar obviously called the match and stayed in control of the match for long periods of time; ending Reigns on a trip to Suplex City. Still, the fighting spirit of Reigns was awesome to see and I have to say that he really won me over last night. I was willing to give this match a chance and I am so glad that I did. Yes, they made Reigns look this way for a reason but the WWE made Reigns look strong in the right way. Throughout the match, I was sure that the next pin fall would finish the match. But Reigns continued to fight and suck me into the battle; great story telling from everyone involved.

When business eventually picked up for the challenger, I found myself being excited by it. Superman Punch after Superman Punch, Spear after Spear; the crowd were just as into this match as I was. You could see how this match was playing out...

Until... Enter Seth Rollins to cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase and win the Championship after a short flurry of action; Reigns the man to take the pin after a beating the likes of which we haven't really seem before.

The result of this match is exceptional and represented the best end to a WrestleMania since WrestleMania 17 for me. Rollins winning the Championship was something that I don't think a lot of people seem coming after Lesnar signing on with the company for a few more years and Daniel Bryan and John Cena winning the miracle Championships. It really seemed, to me, as though we were headed towards Lesnar heading off of WWE TV with the Championship again. Honestly, by the time that Rollins cashed in, I had completely forgotten about the briefcase. So Kudos to the WWE for playing me like a fiddle. All three guys are leaving WWE stronger than they went in and so many doors are open for all three going forward. In terms of a main event, what more can you ask for?

Rating: 8.5/10

Overall rating: 51.5/70 = 74%

This was a great show actually. A lot had been said prior to the event about the build up but I think now is the time that we tip our hats to the WWE and admit that they put on a Hell of a show. Could it have been a better build up? Probably. Could it have been a better WrestleMania? I don't think so. The match results are not right for some people, notably the Triple H victory. But I'm sure this means something. The WWE are always playing the long game with regards to their match results and this will prove to be no different. All of the matches were good, actually, and the show would have gotten a better result was it not for the Divas match. However, even that match was perfectly watchable and semi-interesting; a bold leap forward for the WWE.

The one thing holding this event back from being amongst the very best WrestleMania events ever, is the lack of a really great match. All of the matches created a good event that is a reminder to everyone of how good the WWE can be. But none of the matches really went above and beyond and gave us that huge moment that we all crave so much. The main event got close but it feel short in the end. 76% is a great score and a marked improvement on what the WWE has been giving us recently. I still think that it should have been dark for the event but that's a personal preference more than anything.

Awesome work from everyone involved.

Got to agree with all your comments.
Just following up from your last paragraph, I actually think the reason they didn't go for Bryan vs Ziggler was for that very reason. They, well Vince, did not want a singles match with less importance to steal the show which it definitely would have done.

I disagree on Orton, he seemed to "phone it in" for me on this match only Rollins kept the energy up and almost forced him to keep up. Orton also seemed a little off at the HOF, visibly being pissed when Shawn mentioned contracts. Just seems bad habits may be creeping back a bit for RKO. Really think it's time Orton takes a year or two away, seems to be getting into that Chris Jericho/Punk zone.

Barrett will be fine, he'll probably join Rollins in his "entourage" as someone who fields his challengers and then wins MITB himself later in the year. The superplex spot looked horrendous for both he and Cody, both rolled fully on their heads but there is no "blame", like wise if Ambrose was hurt none for Harper, it was a high risk match.

Sting had to "take one" just as Brock did, but at least this way it's not a clean loss... overbooked for sure but could have been much worse.

Bray's injury hurt the show, timings were off cos that match was probably meant to go longer or even last... the Rock segment was pure stall, either so Wyatt could get mobile or to try and get as dark as possible. He did bloody well though, didn't let Taker or the fans down and earned whatever push comes his way as a result. Wins the Rumble this year pretty much guaranteed and headlines next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back