Hulk Hogan is the New GM of Impact Wrestling

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Somewhat surprised there wasn't a thread posted on it immediately following iMPACT tonight, but then again, I suppose it's not exactly the biggest shock considering he was asked/offered the position last week, but TNA decided to leave us hanging with a terrible cliffhanger.

All in all, Hogan ultimately accepted the job tonight after being assured Sting had his back after Sting and most of the faces in TNA (Styles, Morgan, Storm, Hardy, etc. to name a few) hit the ring in support of him.

With Sting back to (somewhat) full-time wrestler, what are you expecting out of the Hogan II era of iMPACT? How will it affect the moderately idle Eric Bischoff considering their history, and most importantly, how will it affect Bobby Roode and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship?

Thoughts?

I like Hogan. Always have. He brings something to his promos and his presence that very few people do. It's sad that he's so underappreciated due to some fans being total jaded assholes and others being tired of seeing him on-screen. I do understand the latter group, they have a solid argument. It's the other group I want to take a shit on.

As far as Hulk as GM - we'll see what happens. He seems to be over as fuck so that ought to liven up the Twilight Zone and it'll be interesting to see whether he'll turn heel again and swerve everyone.

Overall, I think this was just a move to make sure Impact is fine, storyline wise, in the case of Sting not resigning with TNA. I think that's why they did it. Didn't want to pull another Main Event Mafia stunt. I'm sure that eventually something will happen to Hogan and now that Sting's under contract he'll be back in that GM spot in no time, or they'll make them partners.

Hulk Hogan as General Manager of TNA. . .

The only thing I can say is that we will see him on TNA somehow, just because he is Hulk Hogan. As long as Hogan doesn't compete in matches, I am fine with him being the authority figure since we will see him. Hogan is still a big name, and always will be. I would bash TNA if they didn't try to use him in some way, shape, or form. As for now, GM works for me.

Grandma Says
"it will turn out like last time. Hogan ganna screw Dixie." :shrug:

I Don't like the idea one bit. But the curiosity in me wants to see how this plays out but i have a funny hunch that sting and hogan are gonna turn their back on dixie and we're gonna have immortal 2.0 or MEM 2.0.

I'm actually pretty stoked to hear this. I didn't get to see Impact tonight because I was with my friend who was getting a tattoo, so this is a great surprise. I think Hogan will do a good job as GM, and I'm sure that Robert Roode is probably going to have some turmoil ahead as a result. I've been a Hulkamaniac and "one of the little Hulksters" all my life. I never get tired of Hogan. As time goes on and I see more and more of my childhood heroes fade off into the sunset, it makes the time I have with those that remain all the more special. This will be a good way to keep him in the show and give him something relevant to do besides head a faction. It's a good thing they've made this move because there's no point in having as big a legend as Hulk Hogan signed to your company and not using him on camera in some capacity. I don't foresee a heel turn from Hogan, Sting, or the rest of the guys who came out to support him. That would in my mind cause a bit of a problem as you make most of the roster and your main faces into heels. Who is there to fight them after that? No matter what though, I think Hogan as GM will make the show a bit more interesting and as I said, I am always glad to see the Hulkster in any capacity.

I like Hogan. Always have. He brings something to his promos and his presence that very few people do. It's sad that he's so underappreciated due to some fans being total jaded assholes and others being tired of seeing him on-screen. I do understand the latter group, they have a solid argument. It's the other group I want to take a shit on.

As far as Hulk as GM - we'll see what happens. He seems to be over as fuck so that ought to liven up the Twilight Zone and it'll be interesting to see whether he'll turn heel again and swerve everyone.

Overall, I think this was just a move to make sure Impact is fine, storyline wise, in the case of Sting not resigning with TNA. I think that's why they did it. Didn't want to pull another Main Event Mafia stunt. I'm sure that eventually something will happen to Hogan and now that Sting's under contract he'll be back in that GM spot in no time, or they'll make them partners.

Which he apparently already did, according to a report earlier based on a tweet Dixie Carter sent out earlier this morning:

@TNADixie:
THRILLED to have just signed the new @Sting talent contract. So proud to have him part of the TNA family! Here's to some great times ahead!

Now whether or not that's kayfabe or not, I don't know, but I don't get the sense Sting would want out now. I'm fairly confident his career will end in TNA.

The crowd definitely eats up Hogan still, and I'm with you on liking the guy. My issue has never been having Hogan on screen or in TNA — it's having him being the focal point of the entire program when young guys like Storm were just itching for the opportunity to break out.

Ultimately I think the Hogan nod will be good for them. It gets him back on screen as a character who isn't concerned with making himself the focus of the program (anymore), and continues to build brand recognition with he and TNA.

Contrary to everyone else on this I hate that they've made him general manager. Its already been done and Eric Bischoff is probably just going to be brought in to try and counter all of Hogan's decisions somehow.
I don't know how its going to affect Roode and the championship but my guess is Hogan's going to be instrumental in getting one of the other faces to get a shot at him. there's not really much they can do with this storyline.
I think the best way to use Hogan is just to get him to make sporadic unexpected appearances where he comes to even the odds for the faces with his big punches.

Um unless my 39yr old brain is foggy,
just several months ago Bischoff and Hogan were running TNA and subesquently Impact. so what's changed?

Yeah, fuck this. I say this with all due respect to anyone who thinks this is a good idea, but you're fucking deluding yourself if you think anything of value will come from this. My problem with this is twofold, both with the role and Hogan.

First off, it's Hogan. I know, they showed some 3 second clips of Immortal and mentioned it so they are absolved of really going into depth on that whole year long storyline that only ended 5 months ago. Wait, sorry, no that didn't happen for me at all. Reiterate, for me. If I had managed to get over that then I might be willing to give Hogan a chance. I don't dislike the guy, he has moments were I find him entertaining.

And then they spent a solid 20 minutes and the entire show hyping up Hogan accepting it. Because it was in doubt at some point for some one out there I guess. Not only did they spend nearly as much time hyping up his god damn "decision" I had to hear about it every god damn match instead of hyping up the main even with THE GUYS HEADLINING MOTHER FUCKING LOCKDOWN. That's my biggest problem with Hogan, and that's probably not his fault at all, but whoever decides these things has this idea that whenever Hogan is on-screen he needs to be a focal point of everything. I cringed when he was getting his metaphorical dick of an ego sucked and teased by all the babyfaces. For what possible reason would that need to happen for him to accept a role he had less than a year ago?

And speaking of that GM role, fuck it. It's worthless now, it's been done to death in TNA alone and if they aren't going to do something spectacular and orignal with it at some point like make a current heel champion the GM it needs to end now. Sting had a nice run as GM, and yes, for me it was just nice.

Hey man, if something great does come from this, and the GM doesn't overshadow the champion and his challenger, I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong, but from next weeks preview, and from what I've seen I just don't see that happening.

Next weeks preview, at the very top
- Hulk Hogan is now the General Manager and takes control of IMPACT WRESTLING this Thursday. According to Hogan, he wants to start this new era by addressing the entire roster! What does Hogan have planned? What changes are coming? Tune in and find out!

And no, nothing in the preview about Storm and Roode's storyline. Off to a great start.

Overall, I'm fine with Hogan being the GM of iMPACT. It's a good role for him... keeps him on camera without having to wrestle matches. TNA is using his name/face recognition for something, and it's a whole lot better than him being Garrett Bischoff's "mentor" or "trainer" or whatever he was.

My gripe is that they could've done so much more with this angle before the payoff of Hogan accepting. When Hogan was discussing the matter with Dixie, it looked like they were going that way too. When all the guys, particularly Sting, AJ and Hardy (especially Hardy), came down I was hoping we were going to see something pretty dramatic.

I would've liked to have seen an increasingly receptive Hogan turn less so after looking at AJ in the face. He could've remarked that Immortal was created to keep guys like him down. He could've started naming names... like when guys like the Nasty Boys and others were taking up valuable TV time that should've been given to guys like him to shine. Speaking of Immortal, he could've eyed up Hardy and said his selfishness and ego is what ultimately caused Jeff to fall into divers temptations. Hogan then could've looked at Sting, remarking that he spent the better part of a year or more trying to destroy him. With Dixie Carter, he literally stole the company out from under her. He could've then addressed the fans and said he betrayed their trust in him, again for his own agenda and reasons. And for those reasons and more, he doesn't deserve to be GM.

Bottom line, he should've initially said "no." Given all the drama surrounding Hogans first two years in TNA, it would've made for great TV. I mean, still have the payoff that Hogan eventually takes the spot, but not until after guys like AJ, Hardy, and others have put the idea over so to speak.

In short, I think the whole thing ended too soon. It should've been spaced out for at least a few more weeks.

All in all, I couldn't care less in terms of my interest for Hogan in this role. We've seen Hogan in this role a LOT so there's nothing new that can be added to it. As far as the story goes, to me, it makes no sense whatsoever. After all, Hulk Hogan did help "steal" TNA from Dixie Carter and they devoted most of a year to the angle of Sting trying to wrest control of TNA back from the Hogan/Bischoff alliance to return it to Dixie. Now, here we are 6 months later, and Sting convinces Dixie to give Hogan the job of "running" TNA. I understand that wrestling storylines often have logic holes in them. You have to accept that as a wrestling fan but this..well they've just taken a .50 caliber Desert Eagle and blown logic's head clean off its shoulders.

My main problem with this is that it means that Hogan could very well go back to being the center of attention. The past two episodes of IW, everything has revolved around Hogan becoming GM of TNA. Much of the focus has been on that particular angle while everything else has come off as very secondary, especially the build to the Roode vs. Storm feud and the overall lack of build to the Lockdown ppv in and of itself.

One thing I like about it is that it opens a whole new angle with Bobby Roode and the TNA World title. TNA did a great job with Roode frustrating Sting's efforts to keep things clean and Roode actually coming out on top when they finally faced each other one on one. This will super inflate Roode's ego. Now as the new GM we have the man who said that Roode "wasn't ready". Just imagine how Roode will go off on Hogan for this. Considering how much fan's talked about the "Roode's not ready" comment they are sure to enjoy this. Both the Hulkamaniacs who will want to see Hogan clobber Roode and the haters who would want to see Roode clobber Hogan.

I've admittedly spoken out against Hogan on several occasions, especially against his wrestling and his style of wrestling. I found that the last time he was "GM" his ideas were archaic at best, boring at worst. He can cut a good promo sometimes, though. I'm gonna hold my breath, but I can see him being a good asset and a good "GM". What better person to run a wrestling show than a wrestler? Now if he'll just stay out of the ring I could throw my full support towards him.

So ole Terry is once again GM with the Help of Sting...wasnt he calling him a Cancer in the industry a few months ago?

Since his return the past two weeks a good 50% of both shows have been all about him Hulk Hogan. When he was trying to steal TNA and in charge of stuff behind the scenes it was the Hogan and friends show. When he came to TNA it became the Hogan and friends show.

Do you see it now once more it is going to be the Hulk Hogan and friends show. I swear Dixie Dipsie Carter is an idiot for resigning Hogan and now they are giving him the GM spot and that means more ego stroking TV time for the Jackass.

I will give TNA another few weeks but if its the Hogan show Im done and will find something else to watch on Thursday nights.

Oh and BTW I have ALWYAS hated Hogan....I was and still am a Rowdy Roddy Piper MARK...Play my bagpipes.

I think it's a waste of time and resources. Frankly, I don't understand the obsession with having a general manager in wrestling. I don't think there needs to be this constant authority figure for competitors to contend with. If anything, all there needs to be is a guy in a suit who appears backstage to make announcements and decisions. It would be refreshing to have a general manager that didn't require lengthy airtime, extensive storylines, and whose character wasn't consumed by some constant need for an agenda.

In my idea world, you'd have a legend who doesn't possess a bombastic attitude -- a guy like Ricky Steamboat has always been perfect in my mind -- who can put on a suit, sit at a desk, and announce that tonight, Kurt Angle is facing Jeff Hardy (or whatever). I don't want authority figures who meddle and hog screen time.

All that said: Hogan is pretty much the antithesis of what's wrong with general managers in wrestling. He has a lengthy reputation and resume to prove it. Time to step aside, old man.

I'm ok with the Hulkster becoming GM. I just hope it doesn't mean that he will be the focus of things and early on that doesn't seem to be the case. I mean he has main evented the show with his decision on the job. Now that he accepted it hopefully it means we shift our focus back on Storm/Roode and the other budding angles for Lockdown.

As for Hogan as GM and his history with Bischoff, I expect Eric to try and "brainwash" Hulk and for us to believe that it could happen only for Hogan to stay true to the "real Hulk Hogan" and not side with Bischoff. Other than that I can't see Hogan really getting too involved with storylines other than Roode trying to get rid of him much like he did Sting.

In the end I think it will be a good move as long as he isn't the focus of the show and we can keep the focus on guys like Storm, Roode, and the rest of the talented guys TNA is featuring at the moment.

I think it's a waste of time and resources. Frankly, I don't understand the obsession with having a general manager in wrestling. I don't think there needs to be this constant authority figure for competitors to contend with. If anything, all there needs to be is a guy in a suit who appears backstage to make announcements and decisions. It would be refreshing to have a general manager that didn't require lengthy airtime, extensive storylines, and whose character wasn't consumed by some constant need for an agenda.

In my idea world, you'd have a legend who doesn't possess a bombastic attitude -- a guy like Ricky Steamboat has always been perfect in my mind -- who can put on a suit, sit at a desk, and announce that tonight, Kurt Angle is facing Jeff Hardy (or whatever). I don't want authority figures who meddle and hog screen time.

All that said: Hogan is pretty much the antithesis of what's wrong with general managers in wrestling. He has a lengthy reputation and resume to prove it. Time to step aside, old man.

I have to say that I agree with you. I don't know if your old enough to remember the days of Jack Tunney in WWF? Back then you would only see or hear from the "President" if there was something really contentious, like Takers first title win at SS91, or a week later with TiT, or when Savage had his arm mauled by Jake Roberts cobra. That in my mind worked. The way it is now in both TNA and, to a much greater extent, WWE, just doesn't work because it takes time away from the talent in the ring.

So once again the Hulkster weasels his way onto our tv screens. I don't like it. I hate it. He doesn't need or deserve the time when guys like Storm and Roode are maineventing and he's taking up 20 minutes of time that could be used for those guys. Screw Hogan and his damn ego.

This company now just got much worse, Hulk Hogan will abuse his power again like he did in WCW and his latter WWE. No one cares for Hogan except people from RAC.

What has Hulk Hogan actually *done* for TNA/IW, post-January 2010? I'm personally sick of seeing Hulk Hogan on my television screen, reprising the same role, but I tried to think objectively here.

First, ratings are sinking back towards where they were pre-revamp. People aren't tuning in to see Hulk Hogan anymore, because that novelty has worn off and people can count on him to show up again soon on a TNA/IW program if he's been away for a bit. He no longer "spikes the needles".

Second, who has Hulk Hogan built in his time in TNA/IW? If he's not a main attraction, logic holds his role would be to support the performers who are main attractions. I can't think of a single performer who is better off in TNA/IW now then they were before their association with Hulk Hogan. Maybe Gunner, but for the strict reason that he wasn't present in TNA/IW before Hogan and his existence counts for more than his non-existence.

Obviously Hogan inserts himself into Roode/Storm; what kind of story would it be where the new GM ignores the hot title match people have been waiting on? I have complete faith that Hulk Hogan will become the third man in that story (pun intended), and that his role will become equal to that of Storm and Roode's, rather than being a supporting character in an already hot feud.

That's what depresses me about Hogan- he might pass the torch, but he's going to keep running right alongside of it, in front of the camera if possible.

BIG MISTAKE wcw 2.0 if u ask me sack hogan as GM put someone like AJ STYLES AS GM and u will see the viewer rankings GROW
AS WE ALL KNOW HOGAN IS TOO GREEDY FOR CASH TOO PASS THE TOrch AS COME ON DID U SEE IS BFG MATCH

One thing I like about it is that it opens a whole new angle with Bobby Roode and the TNA World title. TNA did a great job with Roode frustrating Sting's efforts to keep things clean and Roode actually coming out on top when they finally faced each other one on one. This will super inflate Roode's ego. Now as the new GM we have the man who said that Roode "wasn't ready". Just imagine how Roode will go off on Hogan for this. Considering how much fan's talked about the "Roode's not ready" comment they are sure to enjoy this. Both the Hulkamaniacs who will want to see Hogan clobber Roode and the haters who would want to see Roode clobber Hogan.

Hogan has never lost any wars ever since i've watched wrestling nevermind if he was a heel or a face. I don't think his ego would allow for Roode to win this. And that's the problem: Hogan overpower everything he's part of when he's on screen. Might as well call it "Hogan and Friends" from now on instead of Impact Wrestling.

I didn't like it that much. They could've made this one 20 segment before the Tag Team main event, but no, they had to drag it out for the entire show, taking away time from pretty much every other feud. Plus, he was already in charge of TNA less than 5 months ago, so why would they give an authority job to Hogan so soon?

Hogan has never lost any wars ever since i've watched wrestling nevermind if he was a heel or a face. I don't think his ego would allow for Roode to win this. And that's the problem: Hogan overpower everything he's part of when he's on screen. Might as well call it "Hogan and Friends" from now on instead of Impact Wrestling.

:wtf:

Hell yah,
for your kind information if Roode was not screwed at BFG by Hogans idea; then perhaps we would have never seen the most entertaining heel of the decade to shine above all. Hogan was the right man, he saw the pottential of Roode becoming the next BIG HEEL of Wrestling industry.
And didn't we all know that it was going to be roode vs. Storm for LockDown this year; where most chances are there of Storm becoming the new Champ in his home town.

:wtf:

Hell yah,
for your kind information if Roode was not screwed at BFG by Hogans idea; then perhaps we would have never seen the most entertaining heel of the decade to shine above all. Hogan was the right man, he saw the pottential of Roode becoming the next BIG HEEL of Wrestling industry.
And didn't we all know that it was going to be roode vs. Storm for LockDown this year; where most chances are there of Storm becoming the new Champ in his home town.

What part of "Hogan never loses any wars" you did not understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back