High Court Rules in Favor of Gun Rights (Cage Version)

One Punch Doug Crashin

I AM INVINSIBLE!
Source: Wall Street Journal
WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court ruled for the first time that gun possession is fundamental to American freedom, giving federal judges power to strike down state and local weapons laws for violating the Second Amendment.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court held that the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right that binds states. "Self defense is a basic right, recognized by many legal systems from ancient times to the present day," wrote Justice Samuel Alito. He was joined in reaching the result by Chief Justice John Roberts and justices Anthony Kennedy, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

An earlier 2008 holding by the Supreme Court, striking down a District of Columbia handgun ban, "unmistakably" required the court to likewise overturn laws in Chicago and its suburb of Oak Park, Ill., that limited handgun possession, Justice Alito's opinion held.

Justice Thomas agreed with the majority on the result but wrote a concurrence offering different constitutional logic for viewing the right to bear arms as fundamental. The legal question before the court had much to do with questions of constitutional history. Before the Civil War, courts held that the Bill of Rights applied only to the federal government. After the Union victory, the Reconstruction amendments were adopted to elevate individual rights over state powers and cement the federal role in enforcing them.

The Supreme Court has subsequently held that many constitutional rights considered fundamental to American principles of liberty override state laws. However, more technical provisions—such as the Fifth Amendment requirement that grand juries approve criminal indictments—apply only to the federal government and don't necessarily bind states.

Monday's ruling elevates the Second Amendment right to bear arms to the status of a fundamental right that states can't abridge."It is clear that the Framers and ratifiers of the Fourteenth Amendment counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty," wrote Justice Alito in his majority opinion.

Two years ago, after the court voted 5-4 along its conservative-liberal split to strike down the District of Columbia ordinance, gun-rights forces filed suit against weapons laws around the country.

Edit: Where the fuck is FTS when you need him? or Razor?

I love this line:

The Supreme Court ruled for the first time that gun possession is fundamental to American freedom

Because, if cities and states ban guns, then we'll be cast back into slavery of England. What a fucking joke this is. Does the Supreme Court even TRY anymore to maintain any objectivity? Or are they now openly accepting the political party and lobbyist bribes?

This is a fucking joke. It's a complete bastardization of the 2nd Amendment and everyone knows it.

I love this line:

Because, if cities and states ban guns, then we'll be cast back into slavery of England. What a fucking joke this is. Does the Supreme Court even TRY anymore to maintain any objectivity? Or are they now openly accepting the political party and lobbyist bribes?

This is a fucking joke. It's a complete bastardization of the 2nd Amendment and everyone knows it.

So what you're saying is I'm not allowed to own a gun under the second amendment?

"Without this gun, the King of England could just waltz in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that Lisa? Huh? Do ya?"

"...No..."

I have very little problem with someone owning a handgun for protecting their homes. That's fine. Owning 20 guns or whatever doesn't sound like self-defense to me. That sounds like self-offense.

Certain guns aren't really needed what so ever, like I have an SKS, no need for it, just for fun and it looks like an AK-47. No need for any assault rifles really, or half the handguns out there. I like my guns and am a resonsible person when it comes to handling them and all that jazz, but really some need to go to keep the streets safe.

Certain guns aren't really needed what so ever, like I have an SKS, no need for it, just for fun and it looks like an AK-47. No need for any assault rifles really, or half the handguns out there. I like my guns and am a resonsible person when it comes to handling them and all that jazz, but really some need to go to keep the streets safe.

Lucky bastard.

the firearm I own is actually a pistol. Not a glock, like a fucking old west revolver pistol. Like the one they destroyed the chicken hand with on mythbusters

I keep the club handy though, the gun locked up. Its pretty much just for when the Zombies show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back