• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have Miz & Otunga Been Perceived and Treated The Same?

TJWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
You have both of these men come from reality TV (Miz from Real World and Otunga from I Love NewYork)

Now, we have heard many stories about how Miz was previeved when he came to WWE because he was a reality TV star and was getting slack and 'picked' on because some of the guys didn't think he had the passion for wrestling and just wanted to be on TV.

Now with Otunga, he came from reality TV as well and has bagged himself a very beautiful women in J/Hudson. Now, I have not heard any stories about how Otunga has been treated by the superstars backstage because of where he has come from.

This isn't much of a question, it's just something i've just thought of.
Do you have any stories of how how Otunga got or still gets treated?

While Miz and Otunga do share a common link in their histories with reality television, I can't really recall reading or seeing anything where Otunga has stated that his involvement has cast him in a negative light backstage, unlike Miz who was hazed and openly ridiculed for being an MTV staple for years.

I definitely think WWE is treating them differently. Miz really had a hard and slow start to his WWE career, spanning all the way back to his days hosting Smackdown. Otunga, since he arrived, has been an in ring competitor, and was thrust into the huge Nexus storyline right out of the gate, garnering a lot more attention than Miz ever did in his first real WWE storyline.

Miz was also treated differently in that he was given his big break with John Morrison, and then went on to really succeed as a singles competitor. We've yet to really see Otunga stand on his own, as he was with the Nexus, New Nexus, and most recently the number one crony for John Lauranitis.

One other thing that makes me feel they have treated differently, is that Miz's MTV history was acknowledged openly on WWE broadcasts, sometimes even weaving in to storylines. WWE has really not done much to mention or acknowledge that Otunga was on I Love New York, and has rarely ever mentioned his marriage to Jennifer Hudson.

It's anyone's guess what people think of Otunga behind the scenes, but if there was any real hazing or heat on him for his past, I'd be amazed that it hasn't hit the dirt sheets by now. So I guess in closing, no I don't think they are perceived or treated the same, at least not at this point in time.

I havent heard anything of getting any of the treatment that Miz got for being a reality tv star. I think the difference is that The Real World was much more well known as opposed to I Love New York and Otunga I don't remember him lasting long on that show. Also Miz was a jackass on the Real World so I guess the guys in the back figured if he was a jackass on that show then he'll be a jackass here. That's just what I think.

I think part of the reason that Otunga hasn't gotten any of the hazing(that we know of) and what not is because he wasn't as big of a reality star as the Miz was and Otunga has "the look".

Plus as was mentioned earlier Miz was basically an asshole character that he created for the reality TV scene and carried over to wrestling. That may play into it because people thought that was how he really acted irl

A reason why they are or where treated differently is the 500 pound gorilla in the room known as JBL. JBL treated Miz like shit the old school way forcing him to get dressed outside the locker room etc while Otunga lucked up he has no JBL type personality to deal with.

They both come from reality shows that's were the similarities stop. Miz was an obnoxious douche bag pretty much his character now.
Otunga didn't come off that way when he came in, maybe his law degree sets him apart,maybe the boys in the back feel if he has that why is he here he can make more money being a corporate lawyer and not deal with the daily grind the bumps and bruises and is willing to be humbled. The thing with Miz is, is he using WWE as a stepping stone. That's a reason why he got hazed so much. I sort of doubt it because anyone who saw him on The Real World knows how much he talked about being a pro wrestler and how much he was laughed at.

Without assholes like JBL in the back Otunga gets treated better. We don't know for certain what he's or anyone else from NXT has gone through since debuting, maybe they have tougher skin and don't complain about it. If anyone I would pick from NXT se1 to receive Miz type hazing it would be Daniel Bryan. He's the one the IWC raved about, the Indy darling and Cole made everyone know about it.

I think the reason we haven't heard of any hazing or backstage dislike of Otunga is because all the "Old School" guys are gone.

If I remember correctly, the biggest abusers of The Miz were JBL, Bob Holly and Chris Benoit. Without those guys around it seems that there really isn't any major "bullies" backstage to cause problems. Plus, a few guys might think twice before picking on a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back